• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen The A/B trick

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Actually it is an epic battle

but after that theres another battle to do against silver

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • I must say that there are some really mean people in this world. Now I'm not saying anybody here is gullible, but heres how I think this happened;

Mean Guy; Hey, what are you doing?

Pokemon Fan; I'm playing Pokemon Red!

Mean Guy; *Thought* He's so stupid playing Pokemon! I'm gonna make him look like an Idiot!

Mean Guy; *Watching* So what cheats have you learned?

Pokemon Fan; I heard about one with a truck!

Mean Guy; I heard if you move the truck you can find a really rare one.

Pokemon Fan; Really?

Pokemon Fan spends rest of the week trying to find Mew underneath a truck.

---------------------------------------

So, I think most of these things just happen because somebody wants to get a rise out of us. It's mean, but that stuff happens. People used to trick you into catching Missingno. and then whiping out your game and game memory. Now, I don't think anybody here is stupid, but think of all the cheats people have told you that ARE wrong. Jirachi, Mew, Celebi, and other things people show you ways to get. It's very, very, cruel, but again, people do it. I do not do a cheat, until I am absolutely sure that it works. I always look for at least 2 websites to say it, and find at least 3 videos of somebody performing the cheat. As I said earlier, there is no way to prove the cheat, but some people just like pressing it, because it feels like your helping. It's like playing a flying game and turning the controller sideways when turning. It doesn't help, but it feels like it.

Anyways, I'm done ranting. I hope you found what I had to say insightful.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • I still did it. Yeah, I know it doesn't work, but for some reason I kept on pressing the A button everytime I'm trying to capture the Pokemon.

Sadly, it doesn't work.

FalconsDrummer

Why yes, I have an Octillery.
    Years
  • Every once in a while I will do something like mashing the A button or wiggling the D-pad just for good luck; I know it doesn't work, but it helps with the anxiety when trying to catch something difficult.

that mew truck works wiv the right pokemon to push it

Uh . . . no. It doesn't.

Last edited:

Gimmepienow

Man-Eating Diglett!
    Years
  • I've been told by a friend to do this in Pearl once.
    Press A when you throw the ball
    Press B when the ball opens
    Press A and B when the pokemon goes inside.

I don't know where he heard this but it doesn't work.

I also heard about tapping the bottom screen when catching a pokemon to also get a better chance.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    I'm pretty sure they confirmed this. It was officially stated by Nintendo to work, and proven by some forum. It's just so difficult on time-based it's near-impossible to get right.

FalconsDrummer

Why yes, I have an Octillery.
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure they confirmed this. It was officially stated by Nintendo to work, and proven by some forum. It's just so difficult on time-based it's near-impossible to get right.

The games' coding doesn't allow for complicated aspects such as timing button presses.

Nintendo never officially stated that the A/B trick works, and I know this because Nintendo does not make statements like that, and also because it does not work. If you can provide a link to the said forum that allegedly proved it, go for it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    The games' coding doesn't allow for complicated aspects such as timing button presses.

Nintendo never officially stated that the A/B trick works, and I know this because Nintendo does not make statements like that, and also because it does not work. If you can provide a link to the said forum that allegedly proved it, go for it.
    https://tasvideos.org/PokemonTricks.html#LuckManipulation

And the official Nintendo website said it. I don't know when they first did, or if it still does, but they said it.

monkeybard

boop
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2023
    I thought he meant the mashing a and b simultaneously. I never really believed it but I still do it in all my Pokemon Games :] I'm still not sure if it really helps though. It does seem like it, however. I got more catches doing it than not doing it o_o

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Huh, I was always told that you held the 'down' direction of the D-Pad and then pressed A&B.

Also, I remember the Pikablu story. Ahh, nostalgia.
    Everyone did it a different way. I don't even think it was necessarily inspired by other people telling you. It was just a compulsive "pushing buttons" thing.

I mainly bring up Pikablu because for awhile Pokemon.Com actually mentioned it in their FAQ. Their answer wasn't really a "lie", but they could have been a bit more truthful.

Tears In The Rain

Thirsty, purposeless Vampire
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Sep 15, 2010
    Assuming you do mean the trick to put the master ball effect on any ball, It has worked for me more times than not but I am not an idiot, I am sure it is just a freak coincidence.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I got a Suicune the other day after the 4th ball thrown using A/B. XD;

IT WORKED FOR ME... maybe only by accident though :(

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
  • Lol, I remember that trick. I think I read it in Gamewinners.com or something. I still do the a/b trick out of force of habit, though it doesn't work for me.

Back