• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Apocalypse

Years
  • Many cultures all over the world predict a fiery doomsday or ending of the world as we know it.

Given that we live in the modern atomic age, God forbid should the worst happen, how do you think the end of the world will come about? Famine, War, climate change, etc?

Discuss

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Earth's ultimate fate is precarious. As a red giant, the Sun will have a maximum radius beyond the Earth's current orbit, 1 AU (1.5×1011 m), 250 times the present radius of the Sun. However, by the time it is an asymptotic giant branch star, the Sun will have lost roughly 30% of its present mass due to a stellar wind, so the orbits of the planets will move outward. If it were only for this, Earth would probably be spared, but new research suggests that Earth will be swallowed by the Sun owing to tidal interactions. Even if Earth should escape incineration in the Sun, still all its water will be boiled away and most of its atmosphere will escape into space. Even during its current life in the main sequence, the Sun is gradually becoming more luminous (about 10% every 1 billion years), and its surface temperature is slowly rising. The Sun used to be fainter in the past, which is possibly the reason life on Earth has only existed for about 1 billion years on land. The increase in solar temperatures is such that in about another billion years the surface of the Earth will likely become too hot for liquid water to exist, ending all terrestrial life.

Wikipedia

Lord V-Man

Casual modder
    Years
  • The sun scorching us up eventually is rather unstoppable, but still: a billion years?, I think it to be very unlikely that there will be anything left of the earth by then. Serious earth damage by nature or the stupidity of man is both as likely to happen way sooner. The one thing that I find the most concerning at the moment is the super-volcano at Yellowstone park, said to erupt every six-hundred-thousand years and it has already been overdue by forty-thousand years...

Sir Codin

Again, I don't think humanity is ending any time soon.

We're not that lucky.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2013
    Human will end thierself before Apocalipse.
    Technology can help human very much but they can destroy this world more than everything they did for us!

Her

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I feel sorry for the people who take these things seriously, I really do. Especially the poor guy from last year who was utterly convinced that the Rapture and The Complete and Utter Annihilation of The World As We Know It was going to happen, didn't he go into hiding because he was so ashamed? It was something like that. I imagine the end of the world will not be in a billion or so years time, though that's the end scenario if nothing else does happen, but eventually due to mankind. Someone will anger another country, they'll go to war, the world is drawn in, someone launches their nuclear missiles to stop the war and bam we're gone. At least, something down that road. I don't believe that the earth will suddenly crack upon without warming and all of our sins brought to life as lava will burn us to death or whatever. No, some country is gonna screw it up for the rest of us.
    I'm looking at you, America!

blue

gucci
    Years
  • When the sun uses the last of it's energy which is predicted to happen in about 4-5 billion years, that's when things will start to get ugly, the earth and the rest of the planets will soon be engulfed once the Sun starts to expand. Even then I highly doubt humans will be around in 4 billion years time.

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
    Years
  • Well, I don't believe that the world is going to end this year like the Mayans "predicted". But even still, there is the possibility of it happening. It could be either a meteor/ asteroid that could destroy as it did hypothetically to the dinos, or nuclear rage. Assuming none of those happen, then I think man will persevere. So far, the only foreseen apocalyptic event is the explosion of the sun into a red giant. By the time that happens I think that man will be dwelling on other planets that are able to sustain life, assuming technology keeps progressing. However, this is prone to corruption if one of the apocalyptic events (the meteor/nuking) occurs before the sun explodes.

Oh yeah, there is one more thing that I should point out that is a little freaky about this whole "end of the world" thing. First grab one of those old calculators that you can use to spell out words and stuff like that.
    Spoiler:

Notice it says H20 Los (Loss). It's unrealistic, but a little scary.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • Solar flares from the sun will hit the earth knock out the power grid taking us back to the dark ages by the time we recover there will be chaos war, famine, it wont be the end but the earth will never be the same. Only the strong will survive.. just my opinion...

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I don't think it will happen. In mathematics (specifically, statistics), there's something of a saying: the best indicator of the future is the past. Look at the past few million years. There has been one event catastrophic enough to cause mass extinction of species, and that was the asteroid collision that wiped out the dinosaurs. And life still persisted. The likelihood of something like that happening even in the next thousand years is next to zero if we use the past as a yardstick.

That, of course, only accounts for natural disasters. The remainder, then, is man-made disasters. Nuclear war, global warming, etc. However, for every idiot who wants to blow up the world, you've got a few hundred people actively working against them. While I might not like the US government for a lot of things, I can certainly trust them (and other world governments) to work against any force stupid enough to try to endanger everyone. They are, after all, self-serving, and what endangers all of us will obviously endanger them as well. As for something like global warming, same thing. We've got enough people with the power to do pretty much anything they want that if they (or their profits) were in danger from something like that, they'd commit the necessary resources to those of us smart enough to come up with a decent solution.

Our system is not ideal; far from it. But it's sufficient to respond to whatever sort of thing we might try to do to ourselves.

KingCharizard

Years
  • Perhaps but today no one takes the end serious, everyone assumes their safe and its impossible. but look at the planet, natural disaster after natural disaster worse than its ever been. Wild fires everywhere, War, Conflict, money issues world wide. Yet the young kids and the people who refuse to see a problem are saying it will never happen.

over the last 10 years the death toll has risen dramatically But no one cause unless it happens to them. Anyone seen The day after tomorrow? That is possible. What about 2012? Thats also possible. There is no question there is something wrong with the planet, here on the east coast of the US we a very warm winter. Unusual.. Yet no one think's anything wrong. We also had a hurricane hit us and had a earthquake. That doesn't happen up by Virgina, DC, PA, NYC but it did..

The earth is getting more violent. Something is gonna happen and soon.. but until it does those that disagree will say I'm this I'm that, etc... I'm not saying 2012 is gonna happen but I'm saying something will happen soon, I don't know when I cant even take a guess but it will, common sense tells us this if we chose to notice the signs..

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I'm not ruling out the chance of the apocalypse happening. It might happen just as i type this, but the chance is less than winning the lottery 2,000 times.

My guess we'll live before the sun eats us from it progressing into a red giant.

Last edited:

twocows

Years
  • Perhaps but today no one takes the end serious, everyone assumes their safe and its impossible. but look at the planet, natural disaster after natural disaster worse than its ever been. Wild fires everywhere, War, Conflict, money issues world wide. Yet the young kids and the people who refuse to see a problem are saying it will never happen.
    Those things have always happened. Everyone thinks their time is more important than previous times, but that's not really the case. Forest fires, for instance, are a natural part of the biological ecosystem; it clears out a lot of detritus and provides good soil for new plants to grow in. The rest of those things are man-made, and if you really think our esteemed corporate overlords are going to let their profits take a hit because of a bunch of fools with guns, you're being seriously naive.

over the last 10 years the death toll has risen dramatically But no one cause unless it happens to them. Anyone seen The day after tomorrow? That is possible. What about 2012? Thats also possible. There is no question there is something wrong with the planet, here on the east coast of the US we a very warm winter. Unusual.. Yet no one think's anything wrong. We also had a hurricane hit us and had a earthquake. That doesn't happen up by Virgina, DC, PA, NYC but it did..
    The death toll has risen dramatically because the world population has risen dramatically. We hit the 5 billion population mark sometime around the 80s. We hit the 6 billion mark around 2000ish. It's estimated that we passed the 7 billion mark a few months ago. We're in a period of exponential growth. That means the mortality rate is going to increase, not just because there are more people to die, but because living conditions are going to deteriorate because there are more people squeezed into the same space.

The earth is getting more violent. Something is gonna happen and soon.. but until it does those that disagree will say I'm this I'm that, etc... I'm not saying 2012 is gonna happen but I'm saying something will happen soon, I don't know when I cant even take a guess but it will, common sense tells us this if we chose to notice the signs..
    Mankind has a history of warfare. The idea that man is getting more violent is silly. If anything, we're far less violent than in the past. Look at medieval Europe and tell me we're even close to as bad as that, with barbarian hordes sacking major cities and the Church endorsing the rape and slaughter of millions in the Crusades. While we may have the same violent urges as in the past, we have a framework in place that prevents excess violence. We're just violent enough to drive profits up for those who profit off of conflict; no more, no less.

KingCharizard

Years
  • Those things have always happened. Everyone thinks their time is more important than previous times, but that's not really the case. Forest fires, for instance, are a natural part of the biological ecosystem; it clears out a lot of detritus and provides good soil for new plants to grow in. The rest of those things are man-made, and if you really think our esteemed corporate overlords are going to let their profits take a hit because of a bunch of fools with guns, you're being seriously naive.

Correct it has always happened. and may disasters in the past were huge. Now a days all the disasters that have happened have been huge, the tsunami in 2004 the earthquake in japan, the 21 tornadoes in the mid US a few months back.. The earth quake in itialy a few days ago.. I could go on..

The death toll has risen dramatically because the world population has risen dramatically. We hit the 5 billion population mark sometime around the 80s. We hit the 6 billion mark around 2000ish. It's estimated that we passed the 7 billion mark a few months ago. We're in a period of exponential growth. That means the mortality rate is going to increase, not just because there are more people to die, but because living conditions are going to deteriorate because there are more people squeezed into the same space.

This is true, that is also one of the reasons the earth is falling apart, the demand is destroying the eco system.

Mankind has a history of warfare. The idea that man is getting more violent is silly. If anything, we're far less violent than in the past. Look at medieval Europe and tell me we're even close to as bad as that, with barbarian hordes sacking major cities and the Church endorsing the rape and slaughter of millions in the Crusades. While we may have the same violent urges as in the past, we have a framework in place that prevents excess violence. We're just violent enough to drive profits up for those who profit off of conflict; no more, no less.

I never said anything about mankind, I said the earth as in the planet.. but again people chose to ignore the signs.. Most will ignore.. They will only notice when it's too late..

twocows

Years
  • Correct it has always happened. and may disasters in the past were huge. Now a days all the disasters that have happened have been huge, the tsunami in 2004 the earthquake in japan, the 21 tornadoes in the mid US a few months back.. The earth quake in itialy a few days ago.. I could go on..
    So you agree the number and effects of recent disasters has not changed in any significant way?

This is true, that is also one of the reasons the earth is falling apart, the demand is destroying the eco system.

I never said anything about mankind, I said the earth as in the planet.. but again people chose to ignore the signs.. Most will ignore.. They will only notice when it's too late..
    Then I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. If there hasn't been a significant change in the quality and quantity of recent disasters, what exactly are we supposed to be taking heed of (putting aside the fact that I'm a rationalist and I only take heed of facts)?

KingCharizard

Years
  • hen I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. If there hasn't been a significant change in the quality and quantity of recent disasters, what exactly are we supposed to be taking heed of (putting aside the fact that I'm a rationalist and I only take heed of facts)?

I'm curious then why are u denying the fact that something is wrong with the planet, its obvious

twocows

Years
  • I'm curious then why are u denying the fact that something is wrong with the planet, its obvious
    I fail to see anything happening now on a scale that hasn't happened in the past. What exactly do you think is wrong and what are the symptoms?

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I think that war will kill us all off. It seems as if we are always in conflict with some other country, mostly for pointless reasons.
    I also believe that unless we start trying to adapt to different energy sources now, we will all be left for dead when fossil fuels run out.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2012
    Apocalypse will eventually happen, but I guess not in our generations
    One day fuel source will be no more and I guess that would be the start

Back