• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Let's Go] The art style

Years
I love this art style so far, feels like classic pokemon chibi style but much more detailed with the new power the Switch enables. I especially love the female characters design, best design I've seen in pokemon for a while.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I honestly really like the cutesy oras-style. I think Alola became quite boring visually because there was no longer the huge-head style we've seen since gen 1. It's part of the charm.

Glad they're making it a cute game rather than cool, really.

Years
I would prefer the Gen VII-styled graphics for the trainers. I disliked the way they randomly changed from chibi style to realictic style in the cutscenes in the XY and ORAS. It always felt like GF is saying: "You could get these great models, but instead, we decided to put chibi models in."

Also because of how the graphics looks, I have a really bad feeling that we were supposed to get these games on 20th anniversary (and they would make much more sense that Sun and Moon), but for some reason we got Sun and Moon. Could also explain why Sun and Moon were unfinished...

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Call me pessimistic but there's a chance that the Switch game will also look like a bigger version of ORAS.

I felt the same way. I was pretty unimpressed by the graphics. 3DS to what is essentially a PS3. Not very much improvement for such a giant leap.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
I felt the same way. I was pretty unimpressed by the graphics. 3DS to what is essentially a PS3. Not very much improvement for such a giant leap.

I think what we need to keep into consideration is how the art style is going to go. In my opinion it's pretty okay. I doubt they were going to make the game look super pretty like Alola, but it doesn't look awful. I've played some pretty awful games and this style is not where near that. I think the issues people are taking with it is that it's way more saturated and bright making it harder to see some details.

Pokemon's art style in my opinion works better as a chibi style. And for a game that going to be appealing to casuals, you want something a bit cuter. The SuMo proportions are fine, but I wouldn't call them as appealing as the chibi style. So really, they probably went with this style because it's more marketable.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I think what we need to keep into consideration is how the art style is going to go. In my opinion it's pretty okay. I doubt they were going to make the game look super pretty like Alola, but it doesn't look awful. I've played some pretty awful games and this style is not where near that. I think the issues people are taking with it is that it's way more saturated and bright making it harder to see some details.

Pokemon's art style in my opinion works better as a chibi style. And for a game that going to be appealing to casuals, you want something a bit cuter. The SuMo proportions are fine, but I wouldn't call them as appealing as the chibi style. So really, they probably went with this style because it's more marketable.

But it's such a disappointing waste on the Switch. I feel it's more laziness on GF than they're trying to preserve a set style. Then just stay on the 3DS.

It's that same laziness vibe that made me dislike SM in almost every area too. I hoped that trend didn't continue, but now I'm worried.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
i think the art style is cute! i think it's chibi and adorable. i know some people wouldn't like it, but i like it.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
But it's such a disappointing waste on the Switch. I feel it's more laziness on GF than they're trying to preserve a set style. Then just stay on the 3DS.

It's that same laziness vibe that made me dislike SM in almost every area too. I hoped that trend didn't continue, but now I'm worried.

I think it's too early to be disappointed by a 3 minute trailer, but I understand if it's not your cup of tea. But if this is really Kanto, they have to put some effort into what started it all. I doubt they would waste this opportunity to make Kanto look good since we haven't seen it in years. (minus some cameos).

As for the style, the game would not have looked nearly as good if it was on the 3ds and there are features that obviously wouldn't work as well such as the hop-in co-op. And while it isn't super pushing the limit of the graphics, it doesn't mean it's lazy.

The game looks nice. It's not groundbreaking, but it doesn't need to be. It still looks like Pokemon and that's fine with me. Say what you think about the chibi style, but it allowed for a lot more detail to be put into the environments in X and Y and ORAS. (Content is a different argument). I honestly prefer the Go models to the 3ds ones because the ones in the 3ds look so much more desaturated. Here it looks way more colorful.

Once again, this is game to appeal to people who want a more casual experience. It makes more sense that the art style would look cuter. The chibi style makes sense to me because that's what tends to get younger people's attention, cute things.

I'll hold off on my graphical complaints when gen 8 comes. If gen 8 doesn't look like SuMo, then I'd be inclined to agree with you, but I'm not at the moment.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I think it's too early to be disappointed by a 3 minute trailer, but I understand if it's not your cup of tea. But if this is really Kanto, they have to put some effort into what started it all. I doubt they would waste this opportunity to make Kanto look good since we haven't seen it in years. (minus some cameos).

As for the style, the game would not have looked nearly as good if it was on the 3ds and there are features that obviously wouldn't work as well such as the hop-in co-op. And while it isn't super pushing the limit of the graphics, it doesn't mean it's lazy.

The game looks nice. It's not groundbreaking, but it doesn't need to be. It still looks like Pokemon and that's fine with me. Say what you think about the chibi style, but it allowed for a lot more detail to be put into the environments in X and Y and ORAS. (Content is a different argument). I honestly prefer the Go models to the 3ds ones because the ones in the 3ds look so much more desaturated. Here it looks way more colorful.

Once again, this is game to appeal to people who want a more casual experience. It makes more sense that the art style would look cuter. The chibi style makes sense to me because that's what tends to get younger people's attention, cute things.

I'll hold off on my graphical complaints when gen 8 comes. If gen 8 doesn't look like SuMo, then I'd be inclined to agree with you, but I'm not at the moment.

Yeah, this is just a side game, so I agree, but it has me worried than gen 8 will just be more of the same despite the huge leap.
But I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Years
I think the art style is interesting, personally. It works in the game's favour, at least.

I think those of us who are expecting Game Freak to go with Breath of the Wild-esque graphics might be a tad mistaken, here. I'm cutting them a bit of slack personally on the cutesy art style because I don't feel going to the extreme would fit the casual feel of the game.

Perhaps Gen 8 may be similar. This is Game Freak's first forray on a console system since the 90's after all; I'm expecting them to have some sort of learning curve in adapting to how the Switch works and what will/won't work with the audience.

Back