• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Beginning Letter Challenge

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
  • Big update here. The speed button makes for fast Gen I games.

Spoiler:
    The next step is to fight Saul again and then navigate Victory Road to the Elite Four.

Team Ned:

Flare (Ninetales) - L54
    Moves: Swift, Flamethrower, Confuse Ray, Take Down

Rex (Nidoking) - L54
    Moves: Earthquake, Horn Drill, Rock Slide, Thrash

Regina (Nidorina) - L54
    Moves: Body Slam, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Surf

And 3 slaves - Dux (Farfectch'd) with Cut and Fly, Fairy (Clefairy) with Strength, Flash and Teleport, and Digger (Diglett) with Dig.

DoctorFred

I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ
    Years
  • I want to do this challenge. And i am doing it on Ruby. Can i get a letter, please? Once i get a letter, i will tell my team and update whenever i get the chance. (Yeah, i have school, so my updates might take anywhere from a couple days to a week or two, but i'll try)

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
    Years
  • UPDATE.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Enigma

Years
  • UPDATE.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2010
    Thanks Sara for leaving me almost no choices :P. however It looks interesting :) .. starting soon, FIrday or something :D

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • Finished the challenge for "N" on Blue.

Spoiler:

Final Trainer shots:

Team Ned (Final):

Rex (Nidoking) - L58
    Moves: Earthquake, Horn Drill, Rock Slide, Thrash

Flare (Ninetales) - L57
    Moves: Swift, Flamethrower, Confuse Ray, Take Down

Regina (Nidorina) - L59
    Moves: Body Slam, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Surf

And 3 slaves - Dux (Farfectch'd) with Cut and Fly, Fairy (Clefairy) with Strength, Flash and Teleport, and Digger (Diglett) with Dig.
    MVP: Regina for sure. Her moveset was the key to beating Lance and Saul at the end. Rex had great attack power, but his moveset was a bit limited at times, and Flare really only had Flamethrower to use against the big guns, although Confuse Ray is a great supporting move for him.

Enigma

Years
  • Challenge Complete.

Letter: S

UPDATE.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2010
    I am very sorry, I need to withdraw myself from this challenge, the W letter isnt quite appealing, I actualy started by I couldnt enjoy the game, so I guess there is no point for me to continue.

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2015
    I'll take your W! I hope that's okay. I just really want to start this challenge and I haven't recieved a letter from anyone.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Update: Red Challenge With "T"

As far as I'm aware, the only T Pokemon I can use are Tentacool/Tentacruel, Tangela, and Tauros, so I can't get my first T Pokemon for awhile (though it's an interesting letter, and it requires the use of a bunch of Pokemon that I've never really used before, so I'm going to stick with it). I also don't have access to trading, so I'm just going to play through the beginning of the game as quickly as possible and get my first T Pokemon at the earliest available opportunity.

Progress:

Day 1:
    -Chose Squirtle as my starter
    -Beat Brock
    -Squirtle evolved into Wartortle
    -Beat Misty
    -Got HM01 on the SS Anne
    -Caught an Oddish for Cut
    -Beat Lt. Surge with Wartortle (lvl. 32)
    -Cleared Rock Tunnel
    -Got Pokeflute and defeated Snorlax
    -Got Super Rod and finally caught my first T Pokemon, Tentacool (NN FINALLY) (lvl. 5)
    -Trained Tentacool to level 24 and called it a night

Day 2:
    -Defeated Erika (Tentacool at level 26, with Acid, Supersonic, Wrap, and Water Gun) with lots of help from ongoing Wrap attacks
    -Tentacool evolved into Tentacruel on Route 13
    -Obtained Surf (taught it to Tentacruel), Strength (taught to Blastoise), and Fly (taught to a Spearow I caught)
    -Caught Tauros in Safari Zone (NN TEMPER)
    -Defeated Koga (Tentacruel at level 37, Tauros at level 35)
    -Caught Tangela south of Pallet Town (NN TANGLES)
    -Cleared Silph Co. (Tentacruel level 41, Tauros level 39, Tangela level 34)
    -Defeated Sabrina
    -Defeated Blane (Tentacruel level 45, Tauros level 42, Tangela level 38)
    -Defeated Giovanni (Tentacruel level 46, Tauros level 43, Tangela level 41)
    -Defeated rival outside of Victory Road

Elite Four Battle Details:
    -Lorelei: Tauros easily destroyed her with his newly-taught Thunderbolt. Tentacruel helped a little.
    -Bruno: Tangela for the Onixes, Tentacruel for the others.
    -Agatha: Tentacruel for the first Gengar and Golbat, Tauros (+ Earthquake) for the rest of the team.
    -Lance: Tauros + Thunderbolt for Gyarados, Tentacruel + Ice Beam or Surf for everyone else.
    -Rival: A few difficulties thanks to confusion vs. Alakazam (and me being too stubborn to switch out), but other than that, it went smoothly. Tauros vs. Pidgeot, Alakazam, Gyarados, and Arcanine, Tentacruel vs. the rest. Tangela didn't have enough move variety to be all that useful.

Final Team:

Tentacruel (FINALLY) level 53
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Wrap
    -Mega Drain

Tauros (TEMPER) level 49
    -Earthquake
    -Thunderbolt
    -Blizzard
    -Stomp

Tangela (TANGLES) level 41
    -Absorb
    -Bind
    -Sleep Powder
    -Solarbeam

Reflections: This challenge was a lot of fun. I've rarely used any of these Pokemon in my other games, and I enjoyed getting a chance to try using them. Tentacruel has a lot of decent movepool options for a quick in-game playthrough, and its Special is great in Red. Tauros also proved quite useful and versatile, though I wish it hadn't been such a pain to catch in the Safari Zone. Tangela wasn't terribly useful. Some of its stats were decent, but it just didn't have as broad a movepool as my other two team members, and by the time I acquired it, I was already used to the rest of my team (plus, getting it right before Cinnabar wasn't terribly convenient, given all of the fire-types).

I might consider continuing my challenge with the letter T in Gold, but we'll see how that goes. There are enough new T Pokemon in that game that it would probably provide a decent amount of variety.

Last edited:
    Back