• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Daily Chit-Chat [2008]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    By using a company that blocks sites.

It all depends on whether the school is private and public and whether the education department... etc.

That what you mean?

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Well... I go to online school, so the restrictions for me is other websites during tests, or using them to complete answers. (aka Copy and Paste) I don't know the exact details, nor do they completely release such information. (I guess so some people won't learn how to beat it?) But apparently, they have a huge lock down system to find out whether someone is using answers from other sites and such, or something like that. ._. Luckily most of the tests are open note anyway, heh. But I wouldn't even risk my chances to find out, anyway. So I close everything when I'm doing a test, to be on the safe side.

Other than that, online school doesn't give out computers and such. I'm free to do whatever I please, no URL locks, etc. And that's probably one of the distracting factors of it. So, yeah, unlike regular school computer restrictions, I'm free. Although sometimes I actually want the restrictions.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    I'm confused on how they block it.
    My school uses the St. Bernard web filter.
    (I know that because it pops up everytime one clicks on a link that is blocked...)

Lirbra; said:
    I don't see the horror of Wiki, unless you go on a editing spree or something.
    Libra, do you type many research papers at your age? I can't quite recall how many I did in Middle School, but they weren't that important. When one get's into classes that begin to require citation from sources of reliable literary merit, well... Wikipedia isn't the best source. Sure, students should know to use different resources, but let's face it; most children today will cut corners wherever they can.
    I don't even know how thats possible.
    Oh, it's possible. They also have a program called "Deep Freeze" that resets all the computers not used by faculty back to the way they looked on a predetermined date when shut off. The only way to save things at my school is to use your Student Drive which is hosted on an inernal server.
    (Actually, it's pretty nice considering it allows me to access all my documents from home as well! ;D)
    I see why there, but still. No need to go soccer mom with a tazer on you.
    That was an amazing comment, Libra! xD

No, my school isn't strict. In fact, we have a horrible reputation of class skipping because kids just walk in and out of the building like it's the Holiday Inn! We have police that are constantly stationed in and around the school, yet nobody ever gets caught. It's sad really.
    (Can you all tell I go to a public school? ;D)

Her

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2024
    My school uses the St. Bernard web filter.
    (I know that because it pops up everytime one clicks on a link that is blocked...)
    Never heard of it.
    Libra, do you type many research papers at your age? I can't quite recall how many I did in Middle School, but they weren't that important. When one get's into classes that begin to require citation from sources of reliable literary merit, well... Wikipedia isn't the best source. Sure, students should know to use different resources, but let's face it; most children today will cut corners wherever they can.
    I do, since 'tis year is my freshman. I've written about 4 this year.
    Oh, it's possible. They also have a program called "Deep Freeze" that resets all the computers not used by faculty back to the way they looked on a predetermined date when shut off. The only way to save things at my school is to use your Student Drive which is hosted on an inernal server.
    (Actually, it's pretty nice considering it allows me to access all my documents from home as well! ;D)
    Heck, they sure went ice age on Microsofts ass.
    That was an amazing comment, Libra! xD
    I try.
    No, my school isn't strict. In fact, we have a horrible reputation of class skipping because kids just walk in and out of the building like it's the Holiday Inn! We have police that are constantly stationed in and around the school, yet nobody ever gets caught. It's sad really.
    (Can you all tell I go to a public school? ;D)
    No, you may not tell us that you go to a public school. Ironically, there was a group just enforced in shops that ring up the school and get truants back into school.

Shaydeh

Banned
    Years
    hey, I could lie to you and tell you that I scream "I love Pokemon" everywhere I go, but who would I be fooling? It's just one those things I'd rather keep to myself.

Oh lol. I missed the part where you said 'in public'. Yes, posting on PC in a public place can be nerve wrecking. I need me one of those programs that minimizes windows with the touch of a button.

At my uni, they banned youtube, facebook, and myspace during the day, but after hours you're free to go wild. And boy do people go wild.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    My school has banned all game sites, and has forbidden ANY sort of inappropriate pictures on Google or any other search engine, if we look at something bad, that somehow hasn't been forbidden we get reported to the principal and he deals with us! Which is kind of bad, because one time I was transfering things from My Documents to My USB and then all of a sudden I get reported? It gets a bit whack sometimes!

Amazingly things like Myspace and MSN aren't blocked at our school, we all have this sort of code thing my friend made up, where you can completely hide whatever you are on, it even disappears from the task bar!

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    Well, it would take a while to go to ALL those sites, and forbid them, which is what most schools do, so there must be a quicker route to doing it!

.Vaporeon

eshkient
    Years
    Well,there is a way.They give the internet on those Computers,they can take the links away.They could make it that you need to put a Supervisor Password to view them,because there is alot of programs they can use with the modem's,ect,ect.And block most links,i've noticed,you click Cancel and then refresh.It should load,well that happens to me. XD

TLM

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Well, it would take a while to go to ALL those sites, and forbid them, which is what most schools do, so there must be a quicker route to doing it!
    They grab a list of sites and words that are commonly blocked by schools and put it on their server, easy.

I remember not being able to search images on any engine. Was a pain in the rear end. Fortunately, there were some ways around it (like going into advanced search) and stuff like that.

MySpace makes me laugh though - people resorted to using the Chinese MySpace, haha.

.Vaporeon

eshkient
    Years
    XD They can't cant read it Chinese Myspace? Haha

They could just buy a Sandisk Cruzer U3 flash drive,it's hase App's on it. That don't leave a trace of the web links you visit =]Like,you can hhave Opera on it and FireFox,aswell as ThunderBird and ect.
    That easy~

TLM

Zet

Years
    My school has banned all game sites, and has forbidden ANY sort of inappropriate pictures on Google or any other search engine, if we look at something bad, that somehow hasn't been forbidden we get reported to the principal and he deals with us! Which is kind of bad, because one time I was transfering things from My Documents to My USB and then all of a sudden I get reported? It gets a bit whack sometimes!

Amazingly things like Myspace and MSN aren't blocked at our school, we all have this sort of code thing my friend made up, where you can completely hide whatever you are on, it even disappears from the task bar!

even with that code thing, they can still monitor what you do, they have a program that views the desktop of every computer in the school, which is how they find proxy sites and all that

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    XD They can't cant read it Chinese Myspace? Haha

They could just buy a Sandisk Cruzer U3 flash drive,it's hase App's on it. That don't leave a trace of the web links you visit =]Like,you can hhave Opera on it and FireFox,aswell as ThunderBird and ect.
    That easy~

TLM

So? You're still using their computers on their network. It's basically useless.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Why should you care about them seeing what you do, and just access those sites at home instead?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Chances are if it gets out you're using codes or hacks in the system to get around the firewalls and blockages, you can all stand to get in trouble, no matter who came up with the code in the first place. :/ In my high school's school board, the policy got this one kid in my class suspended so... I'd be careful doing that.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    My school hasn't restricted access to anything. In the library, there are a dozen computers that are meant to be used for school work... but people also go there in their free hours to check mail or whatever. Also, there are some students studying the technical program (that's what's it called in Swedish at least...) and they used to get their own computers from school (for free!!) and they often sat in groups in the library and played games, disturbing anyone near... not that anyone cared. Not even the library personnel :)

When the teachers put us in front if computers in a classroom to do a task, we can usually roam the net freely, even go on msn. But the teachers tell us off if they see it of course. You want to pick a comp in the back row ^^

As for me, I've got access to the students council room since I'm a member, and we've got our own computer to watch movies or do anything on. Yay.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back