• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Daily Chit-Chat [Summer or Winter Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

o3o

Years
    Imho it looks like some kind of weird hair dryer.

I remember for some reason I watched the Digimon movie with the 4Kids dub or something like that, and then I watched it online with the original Japanese audio, subbed. Tbh it made much more sense in Japanese. :< They changed a lot of the dialogue around and made them say completely different things. Iirc.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    I remember Digimon, especially the movie. Well, I only remember the first bit with the virus and everyone being dramatic about the workd about to end and all the kids are just sitting on the internet. Also synchronized "one more minute" makes me laugh. XD;

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
    I absolutely loved the Digimon movie as a kid! I've yet to watch the Japanese version, though. xD;
    Yeah, apparently the first 2 movies got merged in the dub, because of the lengths of the individual movies. Which means they had to screw around with the plot as well.

o3o

Years
    Yeah, the little squid thing eating the internet.
    But Diaboromon creeped me out. ;_______;
    Ty's mother's potato and beef jerky shakes made me lol.

Yeah. Tbh I think the film ended too quickly. :<
    I think they should release either a subbed or dubbed version of the original length movies. In a DVD pack or something. I prefer subs over dubs.

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
    Oh god, I want to try Tai's mum's drinks so much. xDD;;
    In Japanese, wasn't it just regular Tea? xDDDD;;
    About dubs, for me, it really depends.
    Some can be really nice, while others can be just terrible.
    As for 4Kids, they're so terrible that they're lovable. o3o

o3o

Years
    I actually can't remember.
    But I remember wanting a beef jerky shake so hard it didn't even make sense. xD
    I think that it being something weird like potato juice makes more sense instead of badly made tea or whatever ('cause it makes that Izzy kid need to go to the bathroom so yeah), but ... I still prefer subs.
    And I agree with you there. I still have the Digimon movie on DVD, and there's this little clip at the beginning with these creepy little kids with real black and white faces and it's just plain weird. Then she turns into a Digimon in her mind and then they all run screaming out of the theatre because it turns out they're watching a black and white French film instead of Digimon. Yeah, I don't get it either.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    4kids can be good depending on the series they're dubbing. Things like Pokemon and Naruto which have some essence of violence in them are bad for them, and One Piece were just neglected by them. One thing I actually liked the 4kids dub of was Kirby Right Back at Ya! It's already a show for kids, so nothing has to be censored, and I really like their voices. Kirby retains his original voice, while King Dedede gets a southern voice and Meta Knight gets a spanish accent. :)

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
    Ah, you're talking about that Anna Anaconda special that was made to promote the Digimon movie! I loved that. xDDD;;
    As for the 4Kids discussion, I liked their Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon dub. They were all pretty good. Even if there WERE a load of things censored, they were likable dubs in the end. o3o
    The Kirby dub... not so much. Eheh. ^^;;
    I wasn't fond of it. The voice acting just seemed... overdone. idek

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
    Haha, yeah, it's creepy. xDD;;
    Though, I really loved the cartoon when I was younger. It was pretty entertaining.
    Oh, and lol. I just remembered. In the dub for Sailor Moon S, I heard they got a guy to voice a female character or something. I can't help but wonder, "Why?" xDDD;;
    I still recommend "Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu". I actually watched through the english dub of that, lol. It's really good.
    Not to mention it's dubbed by Bang Zoom! Entertainment, who also worked on Lucky Star. /hint hint

Sweet Candace

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\
    Years

As for the 4Kids discussion, I liked their Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon dub. They were all pretty good. Even if there WERE a load of things censored, they were likable dubs in the end. o3o
    The Kirby dub... not so much. Eheh. ^^;;
    I wasn't fond of it. The voice acting just seemed... overdone. idek

4Kids killed Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. The Japanese versions were both extremely violent with guns prevalent in a bunch of episodes. Then they remove the guns and completely eliminated a Pokemon episode, Legend of Dratini, where Ash catches like 30 Tauros. Since the episode never aired, they [Ash's Tauros] just magically appeared without them discussing where they came from in the dub.

As for the Kirby dub, I watched the episodes and found Dedede and his "Texan accent" to be funny.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    The problem with the anime in America is usually if there are violent scenes in the show, they get clipped out of it, gouging the quality and timing of the show itself.
    Off the top of my head, Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG and Death Note would like to disagree with you. Watch the final episodes of those shows, then consider the fact that they aired completely uncensored on Adult Swim. If I recall correctly, Blood+ was also uncut when it aired on Adult Swim.

4kids can be good depending on the series they're dubbing. Things like Pokemon and Naruto which have some essence of violence in them are bad for them, and One Piece were just neglected by them. One thing I actually liked the 4kids dub of was Kirby Right Back at Ya! It's already a show for kids, so nothing has to be censored, and I really like their voices. Kirby retains his original voice, while King Dedede gets a southern voice and Meta Knight gets a spanish accent. :)
    Naruto was actually licensed by Viz Media, and there was nothing they could do about American broadcast regulations if they really wanted their show to be aired on Cartoon Network. The DVDs are uncut and uncensored.

Years

Off the top of my head, Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG and Death Note would like to disagree with you. Watch the final episodes of those shows, then consider the fact that they aired completely uncensored on Adult Swim. If I recall correctly, Blood+ was also uncut when it aired on Adult Swim.

Naruto was actually licensed by Viz Media, and there was nothing they could do about American broadcast regulations if they really wanted their show to be aired on Cartoon Network. The DVDs are uncut and uncensored.

In my expierience, Adult Swim has done a pretty decent job of showing uncut anime. In addition to those, they aired some Samurai Champloo and Full Metal Alchemist uncut as well. I remember the FMA premier many a year ago, and AS put a disclaimer saying that it it was incredibly bloody/gory/descriptive word here. (It was the scene from Trisha's transmutation, IIRC)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    There's no real channel like Adult Swim to show the more graphic anime in the UK. Added to the fact that the British layperson still regards anime as all tentacle-y and bordering on hentai, it has an uphill battle in gaining mainstream acceptance in this country (or even acceptance within a larger niche than it's got already).

Zet

Years
    Adult Swim in Australia isn't on cartoon network any more :( and it's new place on the comedy channel doesn't show violent animu, just really violent western cartoons.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I don't think there's any anime showing in Canada anymore. Maybe Pokémon on weekday afternoons (before school even lets out) but otherwise... I think all our carriers dropped every serial a few years back. :/

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back