• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Daily Chit-Chat [Summer or Winter Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
Years

• For some reason being here in Anime Expo kinda overturns your arguments in my eyes. But you are correct either way. Still as the guys from MangaGamers said fansubbing makes bringing stuff over here in the Foreign markets much harder. :(

As for Netflix? I'd think about subscribing. :U

Odd for MangaGamer to say that considering that their business is VNs instead of anime. To my knowledge only a minuscule percentage of VNs ever get any kind of fan-made English translation and so I've always been under the impression that the only barrier to release for most VNs is the extremely small fanbase for them outside of Japan, pirate, legitimate purchaser, or otherwise. Personally, the thing keeping me from purchasing most of MangaGamer's wares is that the price of their stuff generally seems too high considering that there's no physical copy of the game involved, but I still wish them the best in their endeavors.

As for anime, piracy was one factor in its decline in the West but not the factor. That's a subject for a different time (and different forum), though.

Years
  • Oh yes, I know that, but for some reason the MangaGamer dude said exactly that, VN fan-translations make the JP exects wary about bringing titles here. :(

And IMO, I wanted to ask this question on the decline of Anime In the west to one of the AX panels:

"Did any of you guys notice that the Anime Market tanked at the exact same years as the economy started to crash? And now you guys are saying that sales are picking up?" xD

Years
  • VN fan-translations seem to be a pain for both the makers and the leecher. There's never a definite time period for which the patching will be complete or released (if ever), and the process of translating a VN is much harder since, unlike anime, they each have different nuances and can't just be edited with a single, fix all program. There's also the enormous amount of text that needs to be translated since not only spoken dialogue is being used, but the inner thoughts of the protagonist as well most of the time.

If anything, I see VN licensing as a blessing for both all parties. With the licensing company being supplied with the materials necessary for proper editing from the producers themselves and professionally paid translators who won't go mia forever because of exams or something, progress will surely be made and an end product is practically guaranteed to be released in a timely fashion.

IDK, just letting my thoughts flow.

Years
  • I've noticed that a lot of good shows got yanked recently, across a few networks. :/ It's like ever since Friends ended, TV programming has gone to hell. Now we have crap like Jersey Shore.

Years
  • At least, there is still Scrubs right.

lol.

Actually, TNT and USA are singly handedly saving Television, for me at least. Each one has a few great shows - Royal Pains, Burn Notice, Necessary Roughness, Suits, White Collar and Franklin & Bash. AMC also has some good ones in The Killing and Breaking Bad, as well as great movies on the weekends.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
  • I mainly like Bones. I never got into Law & Order. Scrubs is pretty cool as well. I have seen some of their episodes but I enjoy watching Bones with my mother. That show always gives us some good laughs and it's entertaining.

Years
  • Reruns and remakes of old TV series are all that really get me watching. I can't think of anything new that I watch or would want to watch.

OH EPIC FAIL. On Kid's Jeopardy last night, they asked a question about birds, and to reference it, they used Woody the Woodpecker's laugh. One kid said, "A Duck?"
    Kids today are so uncultured.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years

• lol.

Actually, TNT and USA are singly handedly saving Television, for me at least. Each one has a few great shows - Royal Pains, Burn Notice, Necessary Roughness, Suits, White Collar and Franklin & Bash. AMC also has some good ones in The Killing and Breaking Bad, as well as great movies on the weekends.
    BREAKING BAD COMES BACK IN LESS THAN TWO WEEKS! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Carry on, everyone!

Years
  • Kids today are so uncultured.

I wouldn't say it like that. Just because they don't know the same stuff as older generations doesn't mean they're uncultured. It's as if I called someone uncultured for listening to Rihanna instead of Led Zeppelin, or someone else for listening to Led Zeppelin instead of Louis Armstrong.

But more broadly, I would agree that kids today are less cultured. TV and media in general is definitely less culture-driven and less educative nowadays...

Years
  • I wouldn't say it like that. Just because they don't know the same stuff as older generations doesn't mean they're uncultured. It's as if I called someone uncultured for listening to Rihanna instead of Led Zeppelin, or someone else for listening to Led Zeppelin instead of Louis Armstrong.

But more broadly, I would agree that kids today are less cultured. TV and media in general is definitely less culture-driven and less educative nowadays...
    lol I know. Just playing at being and old timer. I think kids are more cultured today, actually. Or more multicultural and worldly anyway.

Years
  • lol I know. Just playing at being and old timer. I think kids are more cultured today, actually. Or more multicultural and worldly anyway.

Yet there's still a lot more TV trash than before x.o

A lot of kids and teenagers nowadays are hypnotized by gaming and social media :/ also useless reality TV. I agree there's more tools to be worldy and be aware of other cultures, but now there's many more excuses not to be cultured or learned. :P

Years

• Yet there's still a lot more TV trash than before x.o

A lot of kids and teenagers nowadays are hypnotized by gaming and social media :/ also useless reality TV. I agree there's more tools to be worldy and be aware of other cultures, but now there's many more excuses not to be cultured or learned. :P

Too many digital distractions nowadays. And I hate reality television with a passion. :p

Man the DCC's been dead for 24hrs almost

Years
  • ...im one of those people who contribute to horrible TV :$
    ill admit it. i watch...

Family Guy
    The Bachelorette
    Jersey Shore

But thats only when they are on. I watch the news every morning and every night, but even so, I dont watch a lot of TV. It is mostly Internet and video games for me. I am such a typical boy =/

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • I never really watch much TV anyway. No programs take my interest that much anymore, and the ones I do want to watch, I watch when convenient for me online.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I prefer re-runs of TV shows now...like George Lopez, Married W/ Children it's on nick and nite now! yay!, and Full House just to name a few. Usually in the mornings and late nights are my TV times. The afternoon hours are just pure crap.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back