• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The End of Eeveelutions?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • So I did a quick search for this and couldn't find any other threads/posts on the topic, but as I'm not the most up to date when it comes to Sun and Moon leaks it's possible that I'm speculating about something that's already been confirmed or falsified. If that's the case, feel free to close this thread Angie.

So, onto Eevee. As you may now, all the current Eeveelutions (besides Sylveon, who is a special case) have types that were Special types before Gen IV's Physical/Special Split: Fire, Water, Electric, Grass, Ice, Psychic and Dark. Fairy was obviously added after this but I think that we can all agree that given the nature of the type, it would have been a Special type had it been introduced before Gen IV. Meanwhile, we've now got an Eeveelution for every single Special type except Dragon, and we haven't heard anything concrete about a Physical Eevee, despite years of speculation.

So, my theory. I believe that the final Eeveelution - a Dragon Eeveelution - will be introduced - not in Sun & Moon because we've already got confirmation that there will be no new Eeveelutions, but possibly in the next Gen 7 game or Gen 8. The latter would make more sense, as we tend to always get new Eevees in even-numbered generations.

It's not proof - far from it, this is very much just a theory, but I suspect that Sun & Moon's rumored focus on multi-form and split-evolution Pokémon might be partly to replace Eevee in future generations. My main suspect for this is Rockruff; it's a widely circulated theory that Rockruff has a split evolution with at least 3 forms, and I think it's possible that his evolutions will all have Physical typings. If more evolutions for Rockruff (rockrufflutions? that sounds stupid) are introduced in later Gens, it's maybe he could become the antithesis of Eevee and be able to evolve into every Physical type.

This is a weird and unpleasant theory for those of us that love Eevee, so go ahead and tell me I'm wrong.

Years
  • Since most Eeveelutions got introduced in even-numbered generations (like how we only got Sylveon just last gen due to Fairy-type introduction) it makes sense a new Eeveelution will be skipped over in this generation, and maybe we'll get another new one in 8th Gen.

Despite the rumor of Rockruff having an evolution with different forms, it's definitely not going to impact on Eeveelutions.

Years
  • I personally don't think we'll get another Eeveelution until Generation 8, not only do we only seem to get them in even numbered generations, but it seems to soon - in Pokemon terms anyway - to have one. I seriously hope the next Eeveelution is a Dragon type though, that would be seriously cool.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
  • Personally I'd always hoped that one day there would be an Eeveelution for every type. lol But I realize that probably won't happen. I would be really excited to see them add a dragon-type evolution in the 8th generation though!

As for Rockruff, I doubt it will end up being "the new Eevee". The whole gimmick with Eevee is that it's just a normal-type Pokémon that evolves into something elemental because of the elements that it's exposed to. I feel like if Rockruff loses the rock typing in an evolution that would be weird since it's a pure rock-type. So anything it evolves into will most likely be a rock/??? type. That already takes away from what Eevee is all about. Maybe I'm trying to be too technical though. lol

Log

It's your boy Guzma!
    Years
  • I think it'd be interesting to see a Dragon-type Eevee, but I'm also not one who cares about Eevee and its Eeveelutions in general. Just me, of course, but I always thought that Eevee having the potential to turn into every single type would be too much.

That being the case, I think Rockruff being the physical alternative would be pretty cool. I fancy the idea, anyway. But at this point, it also just seems unlikely. :P Especially considering that it's already a rock-type (even got the word "rock" in its name). I think Rockruff might just be a Gen. 7 thing, kinda like how you'd find a Shinx or Poochyena in their respective regions.

demifiend700

Creator of Pokemon Nova
    Years
  • I have a feeling that gamefreak is probably gonna skip Eeveelutions this gen, seeing as how they only introduce them in even numbered generations.
    It would still be cool to have a Dragon or Bug Eeveelution though.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Hopefully they release a trio of Eeveelution next like in Gen 1. So far we only got 2 duo and Sylveon being alone after Gen 1. I could see a Fighting/Rock/Flying trio.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I do want to see more Eevee evolutions, but I'm not holding my breath. I do think that GF aims to eventually finish the Eevee cycle for each type, but I also think that GF knows that they're not any where near ending the pokemon franchise any time soon (despite that silly rumor that S/M will be the last franchise games), so I think when it comes to future Eevee evolutions, GF is looking pretty far into the future for that cycles completion.

I love the Eevee cycle because, besides the obvious variety that a single pokemon can evolve through in typing, I also love the fact that Eevee is all about single typing purity. I am absolutely excited by the idea of eventually owning an Eevee that is a solid Flying type and a solid Steel type. Those two types alone with no secondary typing are incredibly rare, I want to see more pokemon like that and Eevee leaves it to be practically expected.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • When I heard of the rumours/leaks talking about Rockruff having split evolutions, my first thought was along the lines of "Oh hey a new eevee-like pokemon, that's cool!"

But it never dawned on me that all of eevee's current evolutions were all originally special-types. And with the leaks of what Rockruff evolves into (Rock/fight rock/dark and other physical typings) I totally see your point. I'd think this would be a really cool thing to have, personally. Do i think this is where the Pokemon games are headed? Probably not, but damn do I ever hope that this is actually the case.

edit: Just something extra, but since this is gen 7, maybe eevee will get the dragon typing (the last special type pre-split) in gen 8 and then every odd-numbered gen after (ie. 9, 11, etc.) will have the physical typings for Rockruff's evolutions!

Of course this is super out there and not likely, but I think this is an awesome theory that I want to happen. :P

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I want Eevee evolutions of all types! Like these, I loooooove these concepts:
    31gds.png

Anyway back to the topic, I'm not sure that they will stop with Eevee, but it looks like they do follow a pattern with the generations. Eevee is really popular and recognizable so I'm not sure they'd be so quick to replace it :x

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • When I heard of the rumours/leaks talking about Rockruff having split evolutions, my first thought was along the lines of "Oh hey a new eevee-like pokemon, that's cool!"

But it never dawned on me that all of eevee's current evolutions were all originally special-types. And with the leaks of what Rockruff evolves into (Rock/fight rock/dark and other physical typings) I totally see your point. I'd think this would be a really cool thing to have, personally. Do i think this is where the Pokemon games are headed? Probably not, but damn do I ever hope that this is actually the case.

edit: Just something extra, but since this is gen 7, maybe eevee will get the dragon typing (the last special type pre-split) in gen 8 and then every odd-numbered gen after (ie. 9, 11, etc.) will have the physical typings for Rockruff's evolutions!

Of course this is super out there and not likely, but I think this is an awesome theory that I want to happen. :P
    I know right! I totally agree with you.

wait

rockruff as like, the physical eevee? that would be cool as hell. @_@
    it's like you didn't even read the whole first post, since that's what it was about :P

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • I hope not! I wanna see ALL the types

But technically you could - just with Rockruff taking the other half of Pokemon typings and Eevee stays with the half that it has. o.o Plus, this opens up more variety and design options for the physical evos.

Assuming, of course, this would actually happen.

Solar Snivy

#TeamRowlet
    Years
  • I wouldn't mind having many "Rufflutions", but what I'd really love to see is an eevee that can evolve into every type, and then Rockruff also being able to evolve into every type. It'd be cool to have several pokemon that had many-typed evolutions.

But I wouldn't feel satisfied if Eevees reign ended unfulfilled. Eevee is a gimmick pokemon. And when you cut it's gimmick short, what's left?

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    But technically you could - just with Rockruff taking the other half of Pokemon typings and Eevee stays with the half that it has. o.o Plus, this opens up more variety and design options for the physical evos.

Well, seeing as Rockruff share's it's secret with the starters, it's probably gonna have either 3 types, or something else.

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
    Years
  • I don't think Eeveelutions are totally done yet. I don't think Rockruff's gimmick is going to be a direct port of the Eevee concept, because Rockruff is supposed to share its gimmick with the starters, and the starters aren't going to be a direct port of Eevee, so...

There's pretty strong evidence for us not getting a new Eevee this generation but I'd be surprised if we didn't get one next time around. The pokémon has really caught the attention of the general public because of its prominence in Pokémon Go, as you can see from it joining Pikachu in the exclusive group of pokémon with build a bear plushies. Maybe they'll just do a dragon-type, but I feel like if GF ever did intend to restrict themselves just to special types, they'll change their mind on that when it's either stick to the pattern or stop making new ones.

Wouldn't be at all unhappy if Rockruff was a new Eevee but I don't see it.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • But technically you could - just with Rockruff taking the other half of Pokemon typings and Eevee stays with the half that it has. o.o Plus, this opens up more variety and design options for the physical evos.

Hum this is interesting. I wouldn't mind if it happens, like I wouldn't mind if eevee keeps all the types.

Honnestly I prefer the Rockruff's possibility. But we haven't got a new eeveelution in every generation, so I don't think no new eeveelution means the end of eevee.

Back