• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Completed] The First Journey & Red's Journey West v.10

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2024
    Most of the players who tested TFJ are familiar with item scarcity as a concept since they had played the sequel first, but I can see how it might not have been taken into consideration from the perspective of a new player. That said, I had assumed one would take the scarcity as granted, given the setting.
    I like the scarcity concept, just not the way that it was implemented.

The problem with feedback on this issue is that I don't have a lot of player data – many players cheesed the game with graveler and just spawnhealing, others solo'd with Tauros, and until I get the bigger picture as far as the majority of the playerbase's playstyle is concerned, I'm not sure how to proceed.
    At your place I gonna make the game until Lavander easier and/or with more skippable trainers and cheapers healings (specially before Viridian City).

2) I can't remember why I used story roadblocks during those points exactly, I remember having progression reasons. I will revisit these and remove them assuming they aren't interfering with something.
    Mt Moon was to people use Diglett's Cave (but the block isn't removed until saffron). The route 12 one was to player find the boat at south (again it wasn't removed until saffron).

Could you elaborate on why you would want to backtrack, though?
    Generally is to proper explore the area after I have a better party, so I didn't need to heal so ofter. Specially when I have a fixed free heal point (I didn't know when this gonna happens). Sometimes was to train a pokémon that I recently obtained. I also want to buy a pokémon. I guess also that I gave a apricorn to be made and want to get the apricorn ball.

Regarding the autosave, the game autosaves pre and post cutscene, but for event encounters, I was asked to enable save prompt (fainting the mon would autosave, for instance, leading the player to miss the event mon). Some people might also want to do that for shinyness/iv/nature, although those are set for most event mons.
    I got it, but find a little strange. At your place, instead of autosave I will do prompt for every bosses or a warning message (several bosses in this game do this).

It wouldn't make sense for move tutors to exist before Sam establishes the related conventions (especially when Kantonias are presented as totally unaware of what mons are in the first place).
    Good point! I forgot about this.

Tutoring requires the TM pbs to include all the learnable moves, but I simply erased that (because it took 5 secs more to compile and I just couldn't stand it :P ) but there is also the fact that the TM pbs references the Pokemon pbs, which in TFJ doesn't include the non-kanto and non-johto mons – and I can't really include only the kanto mons, because each move references all the mons that can learn it. The only way to limit it to the Kanto mons would mean writing each entry for each mon specific to TFJ from the start (or deleting all the gen3 plus mons from ALL the move entries)… which is a gruesome process I can't afford to do.
    I can make a parser if you wish so.

Regarding surf- obviously, Lapras is the only mon that can ferry a bunch of people (like sam's party) at the same time, so for Sam to use another mon wouldn't make sense.
    Pokémon series generally doesn't care about these small details, so you can Fly on a Pidgey and get your Bicycle in the bag. My main concern about the TM/Tutors is this Lapras. I didn't like when the games force me to have a certain pokémon at party for the game, specially on late game, when I have another party in mind. When I was writting this I realized that I have a portable PC in bag, so this isn't too necessary XD

7) It has been established, but it's not yet functional. The nursing school hasn't been opened yet, anyway (considering nurses would have to have been trained).
    Good point about nursing school. This was mentioned, but I guessed on the time for building two buildings, the Saffron and the Center, was the time for train some temporary nurses. But if this was like real word, this need to be properly regularized. Maybe more comments from Sam may fill this gap (I didn't remember exactly what he said). By the way, a temporary Unovan nurse/mentor can't do this?

8) You want to ride a motorcycle inside a cave ? (same for the checkpoints) XD just think of how much noise that would make! I think non-exterior maps have the bike off by default, I always use speedup and running during those segments so checking it never crossed my mind.
    Good points!

9) To be frank I had this ball-waste setting carried over from the sequel where there are 0 pokeballs, so I never gave it a look, lol. But I'm surprised that you thought about catching them in the first place, since Sam clearly said what he wanted to do with them!
    I wanted to catch only one XD. I solve the mission with the remaining ones.

1,2, and 3,
    Let's continue this on the thread. I posted the "memory leak fixes" change.

4. Oh, I tried to align it properly but nothing worked
    Send me this script and will fix this. If isn't a public script (to only point a link)You don't need to send me the images.

5. I haven't touched the in-battle item scripts at all, so this is probably something vanilla v18 related. I probably won't have time to fix this
    If you change your mind and wnat to solve this, you probably only need to remove 'return ret' for 'def pbBattleRestorePP'.

Lapras swimming between the rock and the island (last image on the right) is normal since Lapras' collision is 1 tile anyway, and there is a gap (unless I've missed something? This is on the Articuno island, right?)
    This is the cave before the Seafoam Isles. I thought that you can skip the cave, but you can't.

Text alignment on computer mission menu, is something I cannot get to align properly, sadly.
    If this text fit on the boxes, send me and I will fix for you. Same as 4.

Finally, the cave entrance appearing above Sam if you are 1 tile below, happens because that's an event with a tile set to appear after a variable has been set to a certain number. In RMXP, there is no way to set events to always appear "below" (but you can set them to appear above) the character. As far as I know, you can't do that with Essentials script commands either.
    I aren't sure if I understand correctly, but an event will be below if you don't mark the "Always on Top" checkbox.

Regarding your tone settings – are you talking about the smoothness of the transition, or the frequency of the update of the tint? If the latter, in order to not stress the engine (and due to the other weird memory bugs) I simply reduced the update to lower than what your script originally had.
    Oh, so you didn't have the bug. This is more about the frequency (who results in more smooth). I'm almost certain about this won't impact memory considerably bugs, but I aren't 100% sure, so I understand your approach.

The postgame - that isn't exactly a postgame because it is an entire new game starring Red - releases next week, if all goes well. You will definitely like it, (especially the Stadium 1 + Stadium 2 + Colosseum + HGSS remixes), so I hope you'll get to play that too!
    The N64/GameCube remixes are rarer than main line games. I'm interested to give a try!

If you know someone who might be able to help me with the big issue, please drop me a dm. I was suspecting the portrait script itself at first, but it doesn't seem to be the problem.
    I only know about the new map rendering and the "leak" commit. Maybe Maruno know something, but he doesn't support older Essentials versions.

I gonna reply one of your post about difficult that I read recently, giving more details about my reasons:
    1) Route 6 is the first Route you should head to, serves as an easy way to gain EXP for Tauros, everything gets one-shotted with Frustration (and that goes for Route 11 too). Bsically Route 6, 11, and 12, and even R8 trainers can get one-shotted by Tauros, so I am not really sure why you found them so difficult to deal with.
    2) The vendor in Vermillion is selling a cheap Geodude that can basically carry the entire game
    3) Another vendor sells a Rhyhorn that can also do the same, particularly since it can evolve into Rhyperior later on
    4) The text-file that comes with the game states that you can catch Oak's OG team when certain story-events happen. So you don't really need a lot of balls, you can simply keep your extra balls and even sell them to make money!
    5) The first two vendors have high-leveled mons, Geodude in particular, is level 25.
    6) You can easily get through the entire game even with Tauros alone...
    7) The game provides a huge number of spawn points, so if you lose, especially when you enter a new route, witness a new cutscene, etc, you will almost always spawn next, or very close to where you lost. So assuming you do end up losing, you can simply spawnheal almost everywhere.
    8) Speaking of spawnhealing, this is also the cheapest and easiest way to get healed. Simply take the loss and respawn (really close or even next to where you lost). Sure, you might lose some money too, but especially in the early-game, you may perhaps take 2 losses max until you reach Mt.Moon.
    9) You get supplies twice, one very early on (right as you're entering Rock Tunnel) and one at Silph. The former gives you enough to get through both Rock Tunnel and even Mt. Moon. The latter basically solves any late-game problem you might have encountered.
    1) I probably didn't gain levels with Tauros because I was training another pokémon (and maybe frustration loses power because I walked too much).
    2) I have no mean to know that Geodudes are overpower. Since I initially thought that this game has no stone/trade evolutions, I avoided this.
    3) Same
    4) You changed this in the current version
    5) I don't know. Maybe is a good move to put the levels on the listings (I did this on my game).
    6) Even versus the Rock/Steelix pokémon? This goes against the standard pokémon mindset to make a balanced team. I don't know if a Rock pokémon with a powerful fight move will show up.
    7) Except for smalls exceptions maybe, losing over healing points goes against RPGs mindsets (and even other genres, like MOBAS), specially when you lose money. And, different with standard RPGs, where you paid for the Inn, here the money is finite (I can't rebattle trainers until very late), so, as I don't know what goes ahead and when I really need money, I avoid losing money. The finite money work better on shorter games (one/two hour games Sonic 1/2 like), since on longer games I need to face the result of my errors until I do a new save

If you put repeatable trainers in the game, or even the VS Seeker, I see no problem about the scarce items or even an expensive Inns, even if I need to do 5 battles versus weak trainer for every healing point. You can even remove the infinite free healings early on. Since this should be a big change in the game, I guess that making cheapers healing points on first cities is easier to implementt.
    8) I didn't imagine how many time I gonna lose if I didn't grind on grass when Tauros learned Rest.
    9) My issue with the supplies is: I don't know when I gonna receive it again, so I try to use only against bosses.

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    I like the scarcity concept, just not the way that it was implemented.

At your place I gonna make the game until Lavander easier and/or with more skippable trainers and cheapers healings (specially before Viridian City).

For the postgame release, I included a cheap Healer, and made the apricorn guy fight much easier, so player should have access to both now.

> Mt Moon was to people use Diglett's Cave (but the block isn't removed until saffron). The route 12 one was to player find the boat at south (again it wasn't removed until saffron).

Thank you SO much for this! You are right!

> Generally is to proper explore the area after I have a better party…

Got, it, thanks

> At your place, instead of autosave I will do prompt for every bosses or a warning message

That's a good idea, but I forgot to tell you that the autosave exists first and foremost to help people not lose progress due to the crashing!

> I can make a parser if you wish so.

Thank you so much for offering, it means a lot! But to not waste your time, I would prefer if we could try to figure out what the crashing thing is, on which I'll expand below.

> By the way, a temporary Unovan nurse/mentor can't do this?

That's a cool idea, I would like to add an Agatha event there too, but I don't have the time right now, but I will implement it on a subsequent release

> Let's continue this on the thread. I posted the "memory leak fixes" change.

Thank you so much, I saw that a few hours ago on RC. We can continue the discussion there, so other people can help/benefit from it, but we can work out the details in DM and then post our findings

> Send me this script and will fix this. If isn't a public script (to only point a link)You don't need to send me the images.

Man, you are amazing, sorry for taking your time like this. I will send it to you along with the other stuff in a few days

> If you change your mind and wnat to solve this, you probably only need to remove 'return ret' for 'def pbBattleRestorePP'.

Will look into it as soon as I can, thanks again

> This is the cave before the Seafoam Isles. I thought that you can skip the cave, but you can't.

Oof, will take a look then

> I aren't sure if I understand correctly, but an event will be below if you don't mark the "Always on Top" checkbox.

Sorry, I wasn't clear – Sam's head is not counted as being on the "ground" tile, because it is actually one block taller, therefore, any event tile behind his head will always appear above him (we are talking about event tiles, not normal tiles) – there is no setting for "always below" events.

> I'm almost certain about this won't impact memory considerably bugs, but I aren't 100% sure, so I understand your approach.

Yeah I wasn't sure either but I was like "every bit counts"

> The N64/GameCube remixes are rarer than main line games. I'm interested to give a try!

Internal Beta goes live soon! But no looping music in internal beta ;P

> (everything you listed, plus If you put repeatable trainers in the game, or even the VS Seeker, I see no problem about the scarce items or even an expensive Inns, even if I need to do 5 battles versus weak trainer for every healing point. You can even remove the infinite free healings early on. Since this should be a big change in the game, I guess that making cheapers healing points on first cities is easier to implementt. )

Great feedback, I'll see to it to implement as much as I can from this.

Again thanks so much, we'll be in touch for the big problem thing, your help means a lot.
    Enjoy the beta if you grab it sooner, or, in a few days, the release!

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2024
    That's a good idea, but I forgot to tell you that the autosave exists first and foremost to help people not lose progress due to the crashing!
    Good point!

Man, you are amazing, sorry for taking your time like this. I will send it to you along with the other stuff in a few days
    This isn't much time. It probably will take 5-10 minutes.

Oof, will take a look then
    You don't need to look. I initially said that this was a bug, but on my last post I realized that it isn't XD.

Sorry, I wasn't clear – Sam's head is not counted as being on the "ground" tile, because it is actually one block taller, therefore, any event tile behind his head will always appear above him (we are talking about event tiles, not normal tiles) – there is no setting for "always below" events.
    Spoiler:
    This steel door is a event tile who was the "Always on Top" checkbox unmarked. See (by blue line) that the character head is above. Probably you need to adjust the tileset priority in the database, even it being an event tile.

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    Good point!

This isn't much time. It probably will take 5-10 minutes.

You don't need to look. I initially said that this was a bug, but on my last post I realized that it isn't XD.

Spoiler:
    This steel door is a event tile who was the "Always on Top" checkbox unmarked. See (by blue line) that the character head is above. Probably you need to adjust the tileset priority in the database, even it being an event tile.

Thanks a lot for everything, I am a bit dizzy from crunching hard for the postgame release, so I'll get back to you from about midweek next week. That memory leak crashing bug haunts me in my nightmares :P

Hi everyone, the humongous postgame, which sees us following the story of Red going to Johto in search of his missing brother, has been released internally on the discord. Please wait a bit longer (about a week) until we've got it ironed out and polished. I went a bit overboard with the amount of hours I spent and am extremely burned out, but I will see to it. Here's some screens! If you wanna give it the internal release a go, feel free.

The First Journey & Red's Journey West v.10

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    Hello everyone! BIG NEWS! Red's Journey West, the second part to The First Journey, is out! An entirely new game set 40 years later, in Johto!

An emotional adventure that follows Red's journey in search of his missing brother! In traditional terms, a postgame, but more of a game of its own. Triggerable after finishing the events in the First Journey.

If you are updating from a pre-4.0 version, but have already finished The First Journey's first part (Oak's story), please use the provided savefile in the thread - otherwise the postgame won't trigger!

Have fun!

Last edited:
    Years
    I was searching for a new Pokémon fan game with interesting storyline to play and again I am brought here after reading "Red's Journey West ... is out" in the title. I am downloading the game right now, excited to see what's next in the story...

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Hi, big fan of the game so as soon as i heard the Red part was released i rushed to play it, and i've been really enjoying it
    Wanted to ask a question, in the very later parts of the game, i was wondering if
    Spoiler:

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    I was searching for a new Pokémon fan game with interesting storyline to play and again I am brought here after reading "Red's Journey West ... is out" in the title. I am downloading the game right now, excited to see what's next in the story...

Hey man, you won't be disappointed! Waiting for your review!

Hi, big fan of the game so as soon as i heard the Red part was released i rushed to play it, and i've been really enjoying it
    Wanted to ask a question, in the very later parts of the game, i was wondering if
    Spoiler:

Hey! So,
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Hey, thanks for answering!
    I understand,
    Spoiler:

Thanks in advance for answering!

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    Hey, thanks for answering!
    I understand,
    Spoiler:

Thanks in advance for answering!

Oh, so
    Spoiler:

Also, thanks a lot for playing! Just a bit more and you're done! Anything you need hit me up/send over

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Oh, so
    Spoiler:

Also, thanks a lot for playing! Just a bit more and you're done! Anything you need hit me up/send over

Thanks a lot! In the subject of
    Spoiler:

Btw, the game has been really enjoyable this far, really really good job!

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    Thanks a lot! In the subject of
    Spoiler:

Btw, the game has been really enjoyable this far, really really good job!

Yes, as in the originals (R38 and R39). You've just had back luck so far!
    Really glad you like it, it means a lot!

SolarDawn

LunarDusk
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi I have question where you need to go to the fight Oak friend for the gyms challenge I did everyone else but I can not find them.

Last edited:

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    Hi I have question where you need to go to the fight Oak friend for the gyms challenge I did everyone else but I can not find them.

I assume you mean finding the last Gym Leader?
    Spoiler:

SolarDawn

LunarDusk
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I already found the last gym leader already but I need to fight John, agatha and athena for the gym challange to be the gym leaders. but I can not find them.

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    I already found the last gym leader already but I need to fight John, agatha and athena for the gym challange to be the gym leaders. but I can not find them.

They should be in Viridan, Pewter, and Vermilion, respectively. Let me know if you are still having problems with them.

SolarDawn

LunarDusk
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi thank for the help I found them I have another question if you do not mind where I need to go after I beat them.

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    Hi thank for the help I found them I have another question if you do not mind where I need to go after I beat them.

You should
    Spoiler:

Update 5.2
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2024
    What am I missing in Goldenrod City? Green still blocks the gym from me, and I think I have done everything he mentions. Something might be in the Game corner, but I can't figure out how to trigger any event there.

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    What am I missing in Goldenrod City? Green still blocks the gym from me, and I think I have done everything he mentions. Something might be in the Game corner, but I can't figure out how to trigger any event there.

The woman in the Gamecorner mentions something about her son. The son at first blocks the underground passage to the Dept's Store Warehouse, but will have left once you've interacted with her.
    Assuming you have, simply go to the underground, and find the hallway on the bottom right side of the level. Follow it and it'll take you to the path leading to said warehouse.
    Also, make sure you've talked to Daisy in the Dept' store's top floor.

I realize this part might not be clear enough, do you have any suggestions?

Back