• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Don't know about the knock but yeah, he'd just come back from these weirdly-placed internationals. So had Moses, although Mourinho was apparently a bit irritated at how long it was taking him. He was interviewed claiming "I don't know where he is" :P. Then he turned up later that day.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Haha, didn't even notice that one. Also, I'm really angry now - NBC is showing PL matches for free in the US! FOR FREE!. We get 1 in 20 years, yet a country where football is so unpopular its referred to as "soccer" gets it for free. Really not fair.

We never get any here in Australia, which is so annoying. Probably because it's normally midnight over here when the matches are played. Still be nice if they showed some replays though. Anyway, good start to the season. Important match for City, could be playing catch up if they don't win.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Well you know they're not keeping a clean sheet as long as Hart starts. He'll do the typical English keeper thing and either miss a back-pass or let a shot bounce over his head :P

Years
  • ^Or do this.

763082001.gif

The more I look at that, the more I think that's a carbon copy of Robert Green's mistake in the World cup against Dempsey.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Haha, except Green was playing for England so deep down you somehow knew something like that would happen. Hart got a golden glove and was playing for his club - you'd expect him to save it.

Years
  • He made a somewhat similar degree of error at Southampton if I recall, he just let the shot bounce past his legs and Southampton capitalized on it. Media has some sort of love-in for him, probably because he's an England player.

To be fair Hart had his good moments last season, for example City 1-1 Dortmund, but other than that he was just so laden with mistakes.

YogiOne

Fantasy Dreamer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2016
    Surprised to see Man City line up in a 4-4-2, kinda suits some of the players they have but I always thought that it was a forgotten formation especially with top clubs.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Even more intriguing is that Ajaccio scored with their only goal attempt.

I once saw a team score two goals despite having a singe attempt on goal over the entire match, and only barely lose 3-2. Real Madrid - Sevilla 2010.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Haha, was there an English-style backpass-own-goal howler involved?

City won 4-0...I knew something bad had happened. Although not really as impressive as United's win. City were playing a joke club (c'mon, they brought Kinnear back, they are a joke). United, on the other hand, had to overcome the Welsh tiki-taka :)

Years
  • I once saw a team score two goals despite having a singe attempt on goal over the entire match, and only barely lose 3-2. Real Madrid - Sevilla 2010.

Yup, it happens. Probably the defending team (Real Madrid in that case) got caught off guard.

City are top of the league, but encouraging stat for Utd and Chelsea is, winning the PL after going on top of the league after matchday 1 has only happened 3 times. City should've won by more than 4 goals to be honest, Newcastle played like a side from 4th division.

YogiOne

Fantasy Dreamer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2016
    City weren't impressive especially since as some have already pointed out that Newcastle really looked poor the entire match. Their debutantes impressed: Fernandinho's range of passing was good, Navas showed how well he can cross running at speed and Negrado of the bench already proved he has an eye for goal (even if it was disallowed) and will definitely get into the starting line up over Dzeko.

If Bale stays at Tottenham, it will be a exciting title race with them, Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea. Arsenal unless they make some late top quality transfers are definitely out of the running.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Newcastle are going to have a long, long season if they replicate more of those performances. Disgusting football by them.

Years
  • Newcastle can feel free to drop down to the Championship with us north east neighbours. It could have happened last season, but I thought they would've sorted themselves out by now.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't especially want to see Newcastle go down unless Mike Ashley sells them - he's done some good, like squeezing £35million out of Liverpool for Andy Carroll, but then he appointed Kinnear. Twice. If they go down but Ashley stays, that's just a tragedy.

Years
  • jiccgXe.png

That's how the fantasy league is looking after the first game (Still got chelsea's midweek game before we finish the first gameweek though). I'd say join if you want to, it'll be exciting with more players and you've only missed one match worth of points which can soon be overturned.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Guess that'll be what I get for not picking any players playing in Manchester.

Eh, so it looks like it will be Johan Elmander. Considering the interest in the likes of Fabio Quagliarella and Ola Toivonen this isn't that exciting, I hope he proves me wrong though.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    How do I join? Oh my god as if I had to think of something to take that over 25 characters.

EDIT:

Actually - £30m for Willian...crazy money. And then there's the reports Bale's going for £93m + Coentrao. I'm sorry, but he's not worth as much as Ronaldo was yet. Just shows Perez' desperation to assemble a proper 2nd "galacticos" team.

Back