• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TV The Franchises that Just Don't Die

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • For example, Doctor Who, Scooby Doo have been, and still are, relevant to this very day. And somehow, against all odds, Phineas and Ferb hasn't died, either.

What are franchises that seem like they're still going and won't die?

Btw, this isn't a bad thing, and I hope people don't think this is meant to be a negative thread. Just saying they have staying power beyond my comprehension.

Look how many series Scooby doo has, and I don't even like it.

Years
  • I'm surprised the Fast & Furious movies are still going. I kinda feel like if you've seen one, you've seen them all.

I haven't watched it in years but I reckon The Simpsons is probably still going strong.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm honestly amazed Archer is still going. They're good for 1 outstanding and 2 really funny episodes out of their shortened seasons of 8 episodes, but there has been a noticeable drop in quality that its yet to bounce back from, and the creator left (which I didn't realise tbh, showing the strength of their writer's room).

I've never seen one, but apparently Underworld might still be a thing. Until Marvel got the rights back, there was going to be a cross-over with Blade (which I've also not seen actually, except maybe a bit of the one with Ryan Reynolds in it) and I've got the impression Kate Beckinsale is always up for more

I'm surprised the Fast & Furious movies are still going. I kinda feel like if you've seen one, you've seen them all.

As a F&F diehard I have to correct you - if you've seen one of 6 through 9, you've seen all of them. The first five are varied:
    1. TFATF - Point Break, but with cars (even uses the same restaurant by the beach)
    2. 2F2F - Bad Boys, but worse and with more cars
    3. TFATF:TD - I see it as a throwback to those '80s American high school movies where the bullies are literally murdering psychopaths (like in The Goonies), crossed with "The Tom Cruise Movie" from the same period.
    4. F&F - Generic Cops vs Drugs movie, but with cars
    5. F5 - Ocean's Eleven / The Avengers (but with women and non-white people who aren't Don Cheadle!)

But yes, the ones released the past 10 years are - like most blockbuster franchises - formulaic (but in a good way if you like the formula). I'm surprised they kept going past 7 tbh. I also refuse to believe Hobbs & Shaw 2 exists until there's a trailer.

Last edited:
    Years
  • There are plenty. People have already mentioned The Simpsons; but Family Guy and South Park have been running since 1999 and 1997 respectively (although Family Guy was cancelled for a few years). It's honestly crazy to me how people can come up with new episode ideas after literal decades of being on the air.

MVs.C Fan

Newbie (ChillEnjoyer)
    Years
  • Probably Spider-Man. Particulary, for No Way Home and Across Into the Spider-Verse

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Marvel and Star Wars, despite Disney's best efforts to drive them into the ground, are still going strong as franchises, although with the former some parts of it are more recognisable than others. Seems to be Spider-Man and the more "classic" Avengers and X-Men that have the most staying power. DC has similar success, but that seems to be almost entirely focused on Batman and Superman. I'm somewhat surprised by the staying power of NCIS and Law & Order as well, both that they've been going for as long as they have and can co-exist so successfully.

Bit of an outlier, but Thomas the Tank Engine is still going strong too. It's kinda warped well beyond The Railway Series books that spawned it. I actually didn't realise until recently that Thomas dated all the way back to the 1940s.

Back