• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Good Old Days? Or The 'Orrible Original Series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2008
    ^ I agree with a lot of what OffRoad just said, but am delurking to throw in my two cents.

If I -had- to pick a favorite? It'd be a tie between Kanto and the new D/P series. IMO they are equally awesome! This is coming from a 23 year old that for some reason, is still following a cartoon targeted at little kids.

Kanto will always be loved because of the nostalgia factor. It's what most of us grew up on and it was pretty fun. Even so, it was far from perfect. As others have said, Ash made a lot of mistakes, had a pretty predictable team (though I can understand that-- there were only 151 pokes back then, so it made sense to market the most popular ones), and each episode was about some random crazy adventure or getting his badge. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED that, but there wasn't really a plot.

Fast forward to D/P! I think it has a lot of Kanto elements to it, only improved upon. Voice actors aside (tho I enjoy both the japanese and the new VAs), there's a lot of innocent wacky episodes on par or even better than the old ones, and to counter it there are a lot of plot driven episodes and neat new baddies. I can't wait to see more of Pokemon Hunter J--a poacher that actually tries to kill people wtf--and Team Galactic. Some of the coolest battles and stunts in the entire series are in D/P, so even if you don't want to watch the entire series, you should at least give a few eps a try.

Also I really like the characters. Dawn is adorable and -competent-. A lot of people didn't like May because she wasn't experienced. Dawn isn't either, but she's on her way to becoming as great a battler as Misty. Speaking of, as much as I adore Misty I'm glad she left. She didn't do anything during Johto :/ She's a gym leader, so she belongs in a gym, simple as that. I really enjoy her Chronicle eps though. As for Ash, yes, he does rely on Pikachu a lot but what do you expect? It's the mascot, he relied on it back in Kanto and Johto too. In D/P his party gets a LOT of equal time and awesome fights (buizel vs lucario ftw) and he actually knows what he's doing! He's an experienced trainer now, you can't expect him to fail all the time. . .but believe me, he still struggles. It wouldn't be interesting to watch if he blew through them all. In fact I think the only D/P gym battle he had absolutely no trouble with was Crasher Wake.

--ack, I'm rambling. I could talk about how much more awesome Brock is now, as well as Paul and Team Rocket, but I'll just say they're great too and leave it at that.

And for all you nostalgia fanatics, the writers do throw in lots of good references. Lots of old school music is being used nowadays, and the twerps and team rocket often remember things that happened back then (ex: in the first D/P ep James had a Jessibelle flashback, and in a more recent one the Pikachu vs. Raichu gym battle is discussed).

...this is waaay too long; didn't read. MY POINT BEING don't knock D/P til you try it. There -are- some pretty boring fillers, but they are in the minority so far and the rest of the series is incredible. Kanto will always be special and the very best, but don't mock the other seasons.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
  • ...this is waaay too long; didn't read. MY POINT BEING don't knock D/P til you try it. There -are- some pretty boring fillers, but they are in the minority so far and the rest of the series is incredible. Kanto will always be special and the very best, but don't mock the other seasons.

Ooooh, I totally agree with you!! I'm watching a new episode of Pokemon D/P right now and I can't believe my eyes!!! :shocked: :D :laugh:

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    OK, people are going to think I hate the 1st series but I don't. It's one of my favourites along with DP (although I think DP has edged ahead). It's just that none of the sieres are perfect...

I sighed as I read through this thread. Honestly, some of you punks have no respect. I'm nearly positive that the people who are arguing that the Johto Journeys episodes and onwards are better than the Kanto and Orange Islands saga, well, they weren't actually there back in the day. Can you honestly tell me that you were one of the millions of people who would get up in the morning just to watch Ash fight the next Gym leader within Kanto? Are you able to tell me that you were there when everyone liked Pokémon and that you were there when you could discuss it in school with your friends without fear of getting slandered? No, you can't, because you were raised by the episodes where Ash gets trailed around by an eight year old nerd called Max and a Pokémon trainer who has no clue about what she's doing called May, and those two characters were meant to be the protagonists!

Believe it or not...but people told me Pokemon was childish when it was half-way through Indigo League. It has nothing to do with AG, seriously. Ash "battles" (helps the gym leader like they're filler characters or something) helps some Pokemon/people, Team Rocket tries to steal Pikachu then goes onto the next gym. "Back in the day" people were telling me this was repetitive and I was about 9/10 or so then?

Fads don't last forever. And really, fads aren't really that great a thing. Y'know, "it's just a fad" "it'll be non-existant in less than a year". Pokemon's stayed for over 10 years. So what if it's not a fad anymore? If anthing, it's a good thing because it shows that people actually like it for what it is rather than liking it because "everyone else does". :)

But there are definatly signs Pokemon is getting more popular since DP (in the UK at least). We've had events which is very special for non-US/Japan countries, I've started seeing more Pokemon toys around, Pokemon is in the top 10 children's prgrammes and I saw Burger King are doing Pokemon toys with the kids meals. XD I don't think I would have saw them 4 or 5 years ago (but maybe I notice more now that i like Pokemon).

When you punks think of Team Rocket, you think of two pathetic human beings and a Meowth who seem to pull the same stupid stunts over and over again.

What's changed? They've been like that since their second episode (TR being tied up by Caterpie and then running away in fright is somehow unpathetic?)

When the people that were there back in the day think of Ash's companions, we think of Brock, an actual comic relief character

He had his funny moments (yup, I agree he was funnier back then because he was embarrassed by liking girls) but even back then he wasn't much of a comic relief.

and we think of Misty, an actual Pokémon trainer.

Who stood in the background most of the time and did just about no training. Whenever she *did* get the chance to battle they were *ruined by Psyduck popping out and her battle being turned into comic relief. Not to mention Starmie died everytime it dared to come out, Staru sometimes got to see the day of light, Horsee almost forgotten about despite being cute. Goldeen? What Goldeen? I'm not joking but while I was re-watching IL it was non-existant.

*I say "ruined" but I don't mean that completly. Psyduck was very funny, but come on, she got next to no real battles in Indigo League except her gym battle with Ash (which was interupted and never finished)

When you punks think of Ash Ketchum, you think of someone who has to Catch 'Em All, someone who never loses. When the people who are old school think of the beloved protagonist, we think of the guy who knew nothing about Pokémon and went out on his journey, just like we did in the games. And he lost every now and then, just like us. His Pokémon fainted, just like ours and that's what made him great. We could relate to him. Nowadays, he just kills everyone with his hacked Pikachu.

Wait, what!? This part I'm sure you've made up. (the top paragraph, not underneath)

a Pokémon trainer who has no clue about what she's doing called May
    Ash Ketchum...we think of the guy who knew nothing about Pokémon

Neither of them knew anything about Pokemon. They both thought they could just throw Pokeballs at Pokemon and Ash had so little common sense he thought he could make a little bug battle a bird...May did not know what she wanted to do because she just wanted to travel, if that's what you mean by "no clue what she's doing". Ash used to watch programmes about Pokemon but he still wasn't any better.

- If anything, Ash used Pikachu MORE back in Indigo League. And killed about 100 Spearows in one go on his first day (hax?). Pikachu lost to Gary's Elekible and to Roark's Onix.

- Ash has had many losses, he had to battle Anabel twice, Brandon THREE times, drew with May, Roark twice, drew with Paul then lost to him, and drew wth Maylene. Not to mention the contest battles he's lost. A fine winning streak...

Anyone who says that the later episodes were better than the Kanto and the Orange Islands saga needs to get some respect for the people who know what they're talking about.

What...?

I don't mean to sound mean, but really...the first series isn't as great as some people make it sound. The first series has its flaws, too. Don't think of me as mean, I don't want to cause offence!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2008
    Um, May was always a very popular character.

Misty was never that great a battler. She didn't even battle that much .

Oh! I know May's pretty popular (I like her myself) but I mean people were all "RAWR!!" back when she was introduced and replaced Misty--a lot of folks were claiming she was dumb/inexperienced/whatever. Most of the fanbase warmed up to her later obviously. I was just comparing her to Dawn in the sense that Dawn liked Pokemon when she started out and knew what she was doing (tho she failed to catch a burmy XD). Sorry if I implied May wasn't popular.

Misty's a great battler in the sense that she's good enough to be a Gym Leader. That takes a lot of skill! Sadly, Kanto/Johto never gave her any good screentime with good battles.

Years
  • I Actually LAUGHED At the old episodes. they are way funnier than those bad jokes on D/P or Battle Dimensions. People who say "D/P Rulez :p" Really need to watch the old episodes >.<

Years
    • Age 32
    • USA
    • Seen Jan 5, 2010
    The original series was the best. But personaly I think pokemon went downhill after 'Advanced Challenge'

I hate how everybody in 'Diamond and Pearl' are so gosh darn friendly. I remember when Team rocket was actualy a threat, When the gym leaders were evil, When Ash and Gary were Rivals!!
    Seriosly! "Best friends till the end." !?
    The second I heard that I stoped watching the show. Pokemon is defenetly not the same!

OffRoadSP

Still working on Sun & Moon...
    Years
  • The original series was the best. But personaly I think pokemon went downhill after 'Advanced Challenge'

I hate how everybody in 'Diamond and Pearl' are so gosh darn friendly. I remember when Team rocket was actualy a threat, When the gym leaders were evil, When Ash and Gary were Rivals!!
    Seriosly! "Best friends till the end." !?
    The second I heard that I stoped watching the show. Pokemon is defenetly not the same!

Paul is friendly? I mean, Gary was conceited, but Paul is downright cruel.

Team Rocket was EVER a threat? You have Team Galactic for that.

What gym leaders were evil? Maybe I'll give you Sabrina before she was given Haunter. But I'm at a loss for any other evil gym leaders. Ok, right before I posted this I remembered Giovanni. That's one.

Seriously, yes, "Best friends til the end." Season 1 did have Richie, you know.

So, people hate DP because characters like Gary have grown and changed. Also, people hate DP because some characters haven't changed. Guess the writers won't win no matter what they do, eh? :\

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    For me, Kanto, Hoenn and Sinnoh are my favorite sagas, followed by Orange Islands, Battle Frontier and lastly Johto.

Kanto was the original, Hoenn gave us character development and Contests, and Sinnoh has more of a plot.

What did Johto give us but boring fillers and boring Pokemon?

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    Team Rocket is the comedy enemy. You know, the one that just blunders in at the last minute and then fall flat on there nose. Anyone seen that show, I think it was, ah yes, 'Xiaolin Showdown'. Team Rocket is like Jack Spicer, the main (okay, there are much better villains, but he appears the most) villain of the series. He hardly does anything right, and when he does, like say he creates a monster to destroy the world, he either ends up it not working at all, or ends up serving it as a slave or something.

Team Rocket are no longer 'villains', more like evil main characters, consider them more of a clumsier, and slightly more evil, version of the heroes. Just there to be there.

SamuraiMaster

and his son, Layne (Buizel).
    Years
  • Old Series = Golden Age!

I remember when I was in grade 4, I came home after skool, ran downstairs, and immediatly went to Channel 2 to watch Pokemon...can't do that no more...cuz I don got cable...I miss Kids WB...

I saw this Pokemon Ranger movie about 2 monthes ago with my friend, I had not heard Ash's new voice until that night. We cracked up so hard.

We made very funny quotes in Ash's new voice which are not appropriate to put on this post.

yellowparrot

Advanced Trainer
    Years
  • I remember when I was in grade 4, I came home after school, ran downstairs, and immediatly went to Channel 2 to watch Pokemon...can't do that no more...cuz I don got cable...I miss Kids WB...

Kids WB doesn't exist anymore. They cleared off all the cartoons and replaced them wth retarded grown-up flicks like Reba. >X(

Harry Blue5

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    This thread has done me proud, lasting to 7 pages.. all my other threads died before they could even get half-way through the second page *sniff*.

Anyway... I think Sinnoh's starting to get better, it's still not as good as the old series (Kanto), but once you get you used to voice-acting and they have started to improve the series plot. But the dubbing still could be better, I mean, look at Pokémon Hunter J. "Hello, Sir" "Sorry, sir" "You're ugly, sir" (NOTE: Ignore the 'You're Ugly' one.). Aren't women call ma'am not sir. Or has grammer changed since the last year. Maybe she's gender-condfused and nobody knows what Gender she actually is.

Last edited:

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • Actually sir is used by women in military positions as a gender neutral response. So by the dubbers using sir its actually a subtle way of indicating her rank and job. But when the heroes use it im sure it's meant to be an insult.

Harry Blue5

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    Ah. Gotcha. But 'Sir' seems kinda weird for little kids show.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • After watching some of the old episodes, I found that a lot of the battles were just... Sad.

They weren't very exciting and didn't use much strategy at all. It was just knock out after knock out until it was 1-on-1, then they would struggle and then one Pokemon would fall in the end and the losing trainer would be like "No way!"

Eh, at least in D/P, it's more involved. For example, weather, Pokemon ability, and status afflictions play a larger role & Pokemon can actually learn new skills now / the battles use new strategy. I mean, Quick Attack into Iron Tail was kinda getting lame. Now, Pikachu has some new moves, like that spinning slice-Iron Tail and that rotating dodge attack that Dawn taught it.

It kind of captures the concept of an adventure and training Pokemon when Ash has Reggie teach Staravia Brave Bird and Kenny teach Turtwig Energy Ball...

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I'd have to say the Original Series. Those eps are a classic for many, and were funnier, too. I like the art style of the current seasons and Dawn being a new addition, though. But I hate how some of the anime move animations feel uninspired (i.e. Aura Sphere looks very similar to Water Pulse) And the one for Giga Impact just looks terrible...
    Anyway, the Original Series also had the awesome Misty, and Ash wasn't constantly involved with legendaries and stuff; he was just a kid like us trying to make it in the world. Plus, Ash used to be a bit more focused on catching Pokemon than earning badges...

And I really miss Veronica Taylor's classic Ash voice. I've heard in the anime Dinosaur King, but still...at least the change in voice makes it seem like Ash has gotten older instead of being a kid forever!

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 1, 2014
    I fully agree fenyx, not only as a very big fan of Misty but also of the original series since it was the one I grew up with and has all the characters I like in it as well but I guess since the introduction of contesting and the fact that May and now Dawn are only there to promote it and the current games and also since they ended up on the main cast Ash had to not focus as much on badges and catching Pokemon. And SamuraiMaster, I suspect you are in or somewhere near Denver Colorado since I know that the WB station there and now the CW station is on channel 2 as I used to get it on satellite TV since they had a special package where we could get WB from New York City, Denver Colorado, and Los Angeles California along with some UPN stations as well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back