• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The hardest Super Mario Game

flubbateios

What do YOU think was the hardest Super Mario game for ya?

You MUST have played the game, you don't have to have it complete though. The choices are:

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Land

Super Mario Land 2

Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels

Super Mario Bros 2

Super Mario Bros 3

Super Mario World

Super Mario 64

Super Mario Sunshine

New Super Mario Bros.

New Super Mario Bros Wii

Super Mario 3D Land

You can also choose the console you found it hardest on.

Personally I think the hardest is Super Mario Bros Lost Levels on SNES

Last edited:

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
    Years
  • I say the lost levels!!! they have Poison mushrooms and how they placed the enemies are impossible! seriously, squids in 1-3!!?? turtles in sea levels!? walking hammer throwing things in world 6 or 7? and weirdest yet... I had 2 secs left when i finished 8-4... AND it was my last life

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Of the few Super Mario Bros. games I have played (Bros. 3, World 2, Sunshine, NSMB, NSMBWii), I would have to say the NSMBWii is the most difficult. Getting used to the controls and having severely limited playing time due to the placement of my Wii in my house has caused it to go unfinished.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Probably earlier ones like the original, 2, and Lost Levels. Albeit a hack Kaizo Mario is absolutely insane, I'd have to play forever to be that thing, although I'd probably lose patience for it.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I find both Super Mario 3 and Super Mario: The Lost Levels to be two of the hardest games I've ever played.

Super Mario 3: I find World 3 the most difficult. I can't pass it. I have to bypass it with the flute sometimes, because I waste my time in one level. Lost Levels: Having to lose all your lives and start back to square one just... ugh. It's frustrating.

it's a coincidence because I'm currently playing Super Mario World right now xD

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • Lost Levels, not even a contest. I bought the VC version because I stupidly forgot that I had my Mario All-Stars cart for SNES. Tried for a while, I just didn't have the patience for it. It's brutal.

Super Mario Land is also fairly unforgiving.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • Warp Zone exploits or do you just have a lot of practice?

Come to think of it, I haven't played it since I was 10 or so, I imagine I'm considerably better at gaming now.

flubbateios

Interesting- I can beat the game in about 20 minutes. I should make a YouTube video of me playing though it.

I find the Lost Levels to be very hard. I can't seem to beat 4-4.

I found 4-4 one of the easy levels, it suprised me that I died more on 1-2 :o Right now I'm stuck on 6-4 or something, I need to catch up

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Warp Zone exploits or do you just have a lot of practice?

Come to think of it, I haven't played it since I was 10 or so, I imagine I'm considerably better at gaming now.
    I replayed SML recently, it was a lot easier than I remembered it being the last time I played it.... when I five or something

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • Lost Levels, definitely. Many of the levels were hard, but I can definitely recall having most trouble in 8-2 (I didn't beat it for years because of that level) because I didn't know I had to climb up a hidden vine...

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2017
    The NES version of Lost Levels, by far. At least the SNES saves your progress every level; when you get a game over on the NES version, it sends you back to the beginning of the world. I believe I managed to get as far as 8-3 on the Virtual Console (with the use of warps), which is pure murder.

flubbateios

Nes lost levels without warping is probably the meanest mario game ever, I've only played it on SNES :P I might film something eventually, Super Mario Bros 2 on GBA I found ridiculously easy, I completed it in like 20 mins (with warps)

Whistle A Tune

Keep breathing
    Years
  • We have two of them for the wii- they're Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Bros I think (red case?)- and they're both impossible for me. I don't think I've logged over an hour on either game. I also have Super Mario...World or Land for the DS and never was able to finish that. I have so much anomisty towards the Mario games from all my struggles xD

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Well, I found out that the Lost Levels reappeared in Super Mario Bros Deluxe on the Gameboy. But, what's really funny is not the fact that a notoriously hard game reappeared on a handheld- but the fact that about a quarter of the levels aren't finished.

Source: https://tcrf.net/Notes:Super_Mario_Bros._Deluxe
    I don't think the GBC Deluxe version even had the wind effects and stuff. They really treated it like literal "lost levels" rather than a separate game.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • More like "The Levels that no one will ever be able to beat". I've tried the NES version on an emulator. It just boggled my mind. Even the SNES version is just as hard to me.
    Well, Japanese version title (as altered over the years) is something like "Super Mario Bros. 2: For Super Players".

I can't attempt the NES (FDS, actually) version. I need to save. I cleared the whole game, all levels, twice on the SuperNES All-Stars version.

Last edited:

.MiKeY

Tank Operator
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    I actually found the Lost Levels to be fairly easy, not to brag I am kinda a God ay Mario games though, I beat SMB3 at age 2 so I picked it up fairly easy. Tbh the only hard Mario is a hacked version, look up SMBW item abusing to see what I mean by that. xD

Back