• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen The Hoenn Region

Whoomay

Hand me a bottle of Rum mate!
    Years
    Hey everybody i just wanted to make a fast discussion about the Hoenn Region!

So what Pokemon did u love in the Hoenn Region and what Pokemon did u dislike?
    What was the hardest part in exploring the Hoenn region and what was the easiest?
    What locations did u like in the Hoenn region?
    Was it hard for you to catch the legends?
    Which of the new Pokeball types did u like the most?

Gimme ur opinion! ;)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I loved Zangoose and tbh I didn't like the starters much, haha. But Swampert and Blaziken were totally okay in the end. Pokémon I really never liked were Spinda (what is even the point of it) and Trapinch (come on, evolve already!).

What was the hardest part in exploring the Hoenn region and what was the easiest?
    Possibly to decide what pokémon to put your HMs on. Some areas you needed Rock Smash to get to before you could fly, and you needed Surf almost all the time in the later half of the game. Cut was really useful for extra areas but I never quite wanted to put that move on my pokémon... Easiest part, I'm not sure. The gameplay was overall smooth and easy to understand, so it's probably mostly that.

I quite liked the forests with tall grass around Fortree City :3 And Route 113 with all the ash and the great music, that was cool. Even though the Spinda and Sandshrew annoyed me to ajskdssdsdh

I only ever finished Ruby and I don't even recall if I bothered with Rayquaza xD I think I used Master Ball on Groudon most of the times I played. Simple. Never found any regi.

Premier ball :3 I don't really recall what special effect it had, but it looked cool.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
    ORAS is coming soon... Can't believe it has already been this long. Let me relieve some nostalgia here:

Love? I think it is quite obvious, no? Flygon. Absolute love.
    Dislike: Duskull. That thing creeped me out as a kid, and I never liked going up Mt. Pyre that time.

Hardest for me was finding the entrance to Sootopolis City. Laugh at me all you want, but I was a total noob at Pokémon at that time and it took me about 4-5 weeks to find the entrance! I would say that the Seafloor Cavern boulder puzzles were just as difficult.

Easiest? Nothing isn't exactly that easy in Hoenn actually. I would say the Shoal Cave? Though that place is seasonal.

Going to exclude Mirage Island for obvious reasons.

A huge fan of Rustboro City. I love the design of it for some reason. Together with the really soothing music it remains one of my most favourite cities. Another location would be Fortree City. Incredibly unique and fun.

I actually KO'd Groudon in my original Ruby, and saved after that. What an idiot am I.

Timer balls.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Okay, that's definitely true. Finding all the underwater routes was so difficult, gosh.

Whoomay

Years
    I loved Zangoose and tbh I didn't like the starters much, haha. But Swampert and Blaziken were totally okay in the end. Pokémon I really never liked were Spinda (what is even the point of it) and Trapinch (come on, evolve already!).

Possibly to decide what pokémon to put your HMs on. Some areas you needed Rock Smash to get to before you could fly, and you needed Surf almost all the time in the later half of the game. Cut was really useful for extra areas but I never quite wanted to put that move on my pokémon... Easiest part, I'm not sure. The gameplay was overall smooth and easy to understand, so it's probably mostly that.

I quite liked the forests with tall grass around Fortree City :3 And Route 113 with all the ash and the great music, that was cool. Even though the Spinda and Sandshrew annoyed me to ajskdssdsdh

I only ever finished Ruby and I don't even recall if I bothered with Rayquaza xD I think I used Master Ball on Groudon most of the times I played. Simple. Never found any regi.

Premier ball :3 I don't really recall what special effect it had, but it looked cool.

Cool! Oh and the premiere ball was my fav too but it had NO special effect...:(

Whoomay

Years
    ORAS is coming soon... Can't believe it has already been this long. Let me relieve some nostalgia here:

Love? I think it is quite obvious, no? Flygon. Absolute love.
    Dislike: Duskull. That thing creeped me out as a kid, and I never liked going up Mt. Pyre that time.

Hardest for me was finding the entrance to Sootopolis City. Laugh at me all you want, but I was a total noob at Pokémon at that time and it took me about 4-5 weeks to find the entrance! I would say that the Seafloor Cavern boulder puzzles were just as difficult.

Easiest? Nothing isn't exactly that easy in Hoenn actually. I would say the Shoal Cave? Though that place is seasonal.

Going to exclude Mirage Island for obvious reasons.

A huge fan of Rustboro City. I love the design of it for some reason. Together with the really soothing music it remains one of my most favourite cities. Another location would be Fortree City. Incredibly unique and fun.

I actually KO'd Groudon in my original Ruby, and saved after that. What an idiot am I.

Timer balls.
    I liked Rustboro too! You can say that Sootopolis thing loud! It took me a week or so...

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    My most favorite Hoenn Pokémon would definitely have to be Breloom. I didn't like it too much at first, but once I had actually started using it, I immediately became a fan; it's very easy to utilize, really. Alongside, I'm also pretty fond of Metagross and Milotic, as they could make quite a tank. In terms of appearance, I'd say Flygon. Hoenn's Pokémon are great; it's kind of hard to stick with just one.

Toughest part for me to explore is like the upper area of Mauville, where you would have to use Rock Smash to get past. When I'd first played Pokémon Ruby, I had no idea how to acquire the HM (did figure it out eventually, though), which caused me to remain stuck in the place for approximately two weeks. It was sort of frustrating.

Favorite location's got to be Fortree. Regardless of how many times I do visit this place, it never seems to get boring for me. I loved exploring those tree-houses, and the music made it even more of a fun and enjoyable experience.

Legendaries were tough to catch, yes. For me, most difficult was Groudon, if I remember correctly.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2023
    The hoenn region by far is my favorite.

My favorite pokemon from the Hoenn region is Lileep. Its tied with Espeon for being my favorite pokemon. I also really like lotad and duskull who are my second and third favorite pokemon respectively. Alot of the Hoenn pokemon have awesome designs and the region introduced a whole bunch of new type combinations.

Hardest part to explore would be trying to get to the chamber that unlocks the regi puzzles. I knew where it was but it was always such a pain in the ass to get to it.

I always use the regular ole pokeball for some reason but I think the dive ball is kinda kool.

Favorite area is Fortree and the surrounding area.

ZenonPrototype

Prodigy of Ice
    Years
    Favorite Pokemon? Least Favorite?
    Uh, duh, Flygon is my all time favorite. For least so, I would have to pick Electrike (NOT Manectric). I always hated encountering those.

Hardest Place to Explore? Easiest?
    Hardest place was undoubtedly every single dive-area found in the water. Routes 127 and 124 particularly. Easiest was the cave that required Flash right at the beginning. I literally made it through the entire thing in five minutes, skipped the second gym (I hated Makuhita's Vital Throw. I was a newbie.), and eventually came back.

Favorite Location?
    It would have to be Mauville City, and Verdanturf Town, with the addition of the Route connecting it. Why? It had the longest available running space without encounters. Good for breeding pokemon.

Was it hard to catch legendaries?
    Hard!? HARD!? It was ridiculous! Ruby/Sapphire was the very first game I had ever played, and I didn't know the value of a Master Ball or Timer Ball. It took me 44 pokeballs, 3 pokemon, and 2 restarts to finally catch it. (Noob, yes I know.)

Which of the new pokeballs did you like the best?
    To be honest, I didn't recognize the value of any pokeball until Diamond/Pearl, but it would have to be the Timer Ball

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
    Hardest hmm underwater maybe there was a lot to explore and a lot u didnt wanna miss. Easiest u could say a lot but for me it was.....................route 1 lol ya easy but rse were quiet hard but the most fun for me
    Mt. Ember, Battle Frontier, Underwater, Skypillar, Fortree City, Mt. pyre, Pokemon League, TRAINER HILL, mirage island and tower list can go on and on
    Eh so so i didnt use the master all but almost did it took a while but i got it in a pokeball yay!
    Dive ball looks cool helped me catch many water types including Kyogre. Timer ball over time easily caught legends caught rayquaza on a. Last resort timer ball

Years
    Likes? Definitely Gardevoir for being the most beautiful Psychic-type ever, and I definitely want to use it again in OR/AS after I had fun with its Mega in X/Y. Swampert because it's my fave Hoenn starter, and well how can you not liek Mudkipz? Dislikes I don't know, but probably Shedinja. I just hate its gimmick.

The easiest part would have to be mainly the early routes, but the hardest would have to be anything after 5th Gym. Lots of water routes ugh... I actually once got lost on my first playthrough when looking for the underwater areas and Sootopolis City.

Pacifidlog Town, with all those houses on top of water, and it does have a similarity to Humilau City which was my fave location in Unova. I also love Slateport City thanks to that cute beach on Route 109. It was a really nice unique area of Hoenn in my opinion.

I used a Master Ball on my mascot legendary so I never got to experience the intensity, but when I play OR/AS I might actually do a different approach because I'm much smarter now compared to back in 2003.

The Dive Ball! I mainly liked it for its appearance, with that cool splash pattern on it.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
    Most of my favorite Pokemon come from Hoenn. My top Hoenn 'Mons are(by first of the evolution line) :
    Torchic, Mudkip, Poochyena, Beautifly, Tailow, Ralts, Makuhita, Skitty, Mawile, Aron, Medidite, Plusle & Minun, Electrike, Wailmer, Nummel, Spoink, Trapinch(my shiny baby from Ruby!! <3), Spheal, Bagon, Beldum, Jirachi, The Golems, and Kyogre. There are other lines I like but these are just at the top of the list. None I really dislike, to be honest.

Everything on land was easy except the Victory Road cave the first time. Underwater travel was a bit tricky finding excactly what I was looking for but was simple the second time :P
    Water and underwater did a lot for me, but I love everything above Hoenn's sea aswell. Especially Lavaridge, and prettty much every other town. Out of all the generations's map layout I got very used to Hoenn's lay of the land. :)

I played Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald and none of these capture's took very long. Hunting the Lati's took the most time but saved a masterball for them :P

Dive Ball ^_^

Back