• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The iPhone is officially late and tired

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    To be honest it's just a matter of time until someone remembers to send a virus intro the Android Market and end the life of a ton of HTC Devices. Their supervision is minimal.

And the support from the Market is laughable at best. Not only they have less apps than the AppStore, but they also don't work with all the phones. The AppStore has that issue but only with phones that are 2 or 3 years-old. Not 4 or 5 months.

Android has a ton of potential. But right now, it's the trend for people who like to go against other trends (iPhone). Just like the Blackberry and the PalmPre once were.
    I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.

NOOBLMAO

Woosh
    Years
    lol, America and your phone providers. They licence brands for particular networks? I've heard that you get charged for receiving SMSs. Is that true?
    Yep, both are true. We Americans love our oligopolistic overloards.

Last edited:

Zet

Years
    To be honest it's just a matter of time until someone remembers to send a virus intro the Android Market and end the life of a ton of HTC Devices. Their supervision is minimal.

And the support from the Market is laughable at best. Not only they have less apps than the AppStore, but they also don't work with all the phones. The AppStore has that issue but only with phones that are 2 or 3 years-old. Not 4 or 5 months.

Android has a ton of potential. But right now, it's the trend for people who like to go against other trends (iPhone). Just like the Blackberry and the PalmPre once were.
    And the iphone OS can only work with the iphone. Looks like Android is doing a better job so far. And it's a matter of a few years ago when the iphone got a few viruses, so again Android is doing better so far. Plus, Android's app market doesn't have the same same application 9001 times but with a different name and some slightly different features.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    And the iphone OS can only work with the iphone. Looks like Android is doing a better job so far. And it's a matter of a few years ago when the iphone got a few viruses, so again Android is doing better so far. Plus, Android's app market doesn't have the same same application 9001 times but with a different name and some slightly different features.
    I hope you're using sarcasm for the iPhone OS comment only working with the iPhone, considering the iPod touch and the iPad use the same operating system. As well as taking into account that the majority of the viruses that were ever around for the iPhone were only around because they were aimed towards open jailbroken iPhones. As far as the App store goes, that's not something you should really be criticizing over. A wide variety is something that's a good thing. There may be plenty of Twitter apps to have, but not all of them do the same things. Some do more, some do less. And that's something that most people would appreciate considering there's an app to suit your needs. Besides, the App store has over 100,000 applications. Common sense tells you that there are going to be quite a few of them that do the same thing.

Zet

Years
    I hope you're using sarcasm for the iPhone OS comment only working with the iPhone, considering the iPod touch and the iPad use the same operating system. As well as taking into account that the majority of the viruses that were ever around for the iPhone were only around because they were aimed towards open jailbroken iPhones. As far as the App store goes, that's not something you should really be criticizing over. A wide variety is something that's a good thing. There may be plenty of Twitter apps to have, but not all of them do the same things. Some do more, some do less. And that's something that most people would appreciate considering there's an app to suit your needs. Besides, the App store has over 100,000 applications. Common sense tells you that there are going to be quite a few of them that do the same thing.
    But the touch and pad can't call people.... And I was just attacking that person's stupidity and the twitter apps would still fall under that there's over 9000 apps that do the same thing, but some can do more stuff, etc etc.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016

Firstly, it can work with the iPhone, iPod Touch, AND iPad. Secondly, the fact it works only with Apple products can be seen both as a disadvantage and as an advantage. The disadvantage: difficulty to expand the iOS. Definetly. Which is being pretty well overcome by Apple. The advantage: it works perfectly with the hardware. Android OS has tons of problems precisely because it's made to be generic, to fit a large number of different manufacturer's devices. You can never optimize and refine an OS that has that requirements. If you call BS on this, then tell me why it is that Macintoshes with OS X have been becoming more and more popular in the recent times. The answer, is because the hardware and the software were optimized to work together, granting a near-flawless experience.

Secondly, Android has crappy apps too. That argument really isn't valid, simply because I have browsed on both the AppStore and the Android Market, and took my time to look at things. Not only AppStore's apps are generally much more refined and professional (possibly consequence of the evaltuation they have to go through), but Android Market too has a lot of repeated and/or useless apps.

The number of useless Apps might be superior in the AppStore. Obviously. What's the surprise in that? After all, the AppStore also provides a LOT more apps than the Android Market. Go compare the %s instead.

As for the other used that answered me, my point was: Android is today's iPhone Killer. Tomorrow it'll be another.

Don't get me wrong: I love Android. I'm hoping it gets stronger and stronger, and that it pushes Apple to its limits (and vice-versa). But by now, its fragmentation ALONE kills it.

Last edited:

Zet

Years
    Firstly, it can work with the iPhone, iPod Touch, AND iPad. Secondly, the fact it works only with Apple products can be seen both as a disadvantage and as an advantage. The disadvantage: difficulty to expand the iOS. Definetly. Which is being pretty well overcome by Apple. The advantage: it works perfectly with the hardware. Android OS has tons of problems precisely because it's made to be generic, to fit a large number of different manufacturer's devices. You can never optimize and refine an OS that has that requirements. If you call BS on this, then tell me why it is that Macintoshes with OS X have been becoming more and more popular in the recent times. The answer, is because the hardware and the software were optimized to work together, granting a near-flawless experience.

Secondly, Android has crappy apps too. That argument really isn't valid, simply because I have browsed on both the AppStore and the Android Market, and took my time to look at things. Not only AppStore's apps are generally much more refined and professional (possibly consequence of the evaltuation they have to go through), but Android Market too has a lot of repeated and/or useless apps.

The number of useless Apps might be superior in the AppStore. Obviously. What's the surprise in that? After all, the AppStore also provides a LOT more apps than the Android Market. Go compare the %s instead.

As for the other used that answered me, my point was: Android is today's iPhone Killer. Tomorrow it'll be another.

Don't get me wrong: I love Android. I'm hoping it gets stronger and stronger, and that it pushes Apple to its limits (and vice-versa). But by now, its fragmentation ALONE kills it.

Macs are being forced onto families by schools, here's an article of a school that is doing it: https://www.salemnews.com/local/x1910032546/In-Beverly-laptops-all-around-but-parents-have-to-pay

This is why they're becoming popular, and I'm guessing a majority of Windows users are just damn stupid, but when something becomes popular you'll know that someone is going to take a swing at it and eventually Mac will have the same amount of viruses as Windows.... possibly more.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    Macs are being forced onto families by schools, here's an article of a school that is doing it: https://www.salemnews.com/local/x1910032546/In-Beverly-laptops-all-around-but-parents-have-to-pay

This is why they're becoming popular, and I'm guessing a majority of Windows users are just damn stupid, but when something becomes popular you'll know that someone is going to take a swing at it and eventually Mac will have the same amount of viruses as Windows.... possibly more.

I don't know about the reality in the USA, but here in Europe, Macs are getting popular because they are worth it. No programs whatsoever of forcing anything on anyone.

As for what you said, definetly. That's an unavoidable consequence of anything that becomes popular. The only way not to have that is, well, to not be good enough to become popular.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    But the touch and pad can't call people.... And I was just attacking that person's stupidity and the twitter apps would still fall under that there's over 9000 apps that do the same thing, but some can do more stuff, etc etc.
    Whether the iPod touch and the iPad can call people doesn't make a difference. They all run the same operating system; point blank. You app argument at how there's so many that can do the same thing, I'll say it again, there are over 100,000 applications in the App store. Common sense tells you that there are going to be a lot that essentially do the same thing. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. These arguments don't even make sense, much less stand very valid, and I'm not going to try to make any sense of it.

Zet

Years
    Whether the iPod touch and the iPad can call people doesn't make a difference. They all run the same operating system; point blank. You app argument at how there's so many that can do the same thing, I'll say it again, there are over 100,000 applications in the App store. Common sense tells you that there are going to be a lot that essentially do the same thing. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. These arguments don't even make sense, much less stand very valid, and I'm not going to try to make any sense of it.

I just noticed how you agreed with me on the app store.

@Blues003: Once Macs become popular enough, Apple is going to get told to come with a choice for which browser that should be installed with the OS, much like they told Microsoft to do so.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I just noticed how you agreed with me on the app store.

@Blues003: Once Macs become popular enough, Apple is going to get told to come with a choice for which browser that should be installed with the OS, much like they told Microsoft to do so.
    I don't agree with you. You see there being so many apps as a negative thing since it affects how many applications there are that do the same thing. I see that as a positive thing. I simply pointed out the fact that it's inevitable that with 100,000, a massive majority will be ones that do similar tasks.

Years
    I don't know about the reality in the USA, but here in Europe, Macs are getting popular because they are worth it. No programs whatsoever of forcing anything on anyone.

Actually there is... it's just all Apple related software. Also, a lot of the "bloatware" that manufacturers put onto Windows computers is actually software they made themselves that does the same things as most of the stuff built into Windows does, just at a far worse level with usually less user-friendly interfaces.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    Actually there is... it's just all Apple related software. Also, a lot of the "bloatware" that manufacturers put onto Windows computers is actually software they made themselves that does the same things as most of the stuff built into Windows does, just at a far worse level with usually less user-friendly interfaces.

Wait, so manufacturers are making bad software so that people buy Apple? Manufacturers sell an inferior product so that they get dumped and the consumer migrates to another platform? Did I understand you correctly?

Cause if you said what I understood you said, that's a conspiracy theory that makes absolutely zero sense.

Years
    Wait, so manufacturers are making bad software so that people buy Apple? Manufacturers sell an inferior product so that they get dumped and the consumer migrates to another platform? Did I understand you correctly?

Cause if you said what I understood you said, that's a conspiracy theory that makes absolutely zero sense.

What I meant by that:

You said Apple isn't forcing any software on anybody. I countered that by saying Apple may actually be a worse offender at forcing software onto its users than Microsoft.

And then I added that the "bloatware" that comes on most Windows PCs is put there by the manufacturers so they can "toot their own horn", and is generally useless because there's typically nothing there that Windows doesn't already do better on its own. Manufacturers like to think their software is easier to use than Windows, when it really isn't.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    What I meant by that:

You said Apple isn't forcing any software on anybody. I countered that by saying Apple may actually be a worse offender at forcing software onto its users than Microsoft.

And then I added that the "bloatware" that comes on most Windows PCs is put there by the manufacturers so they can "toot their own horn", and is generally useless because there's typically nothing there that Windows doesn't already do better on its own. Manufacturers like to think their software is easier to use than Windows, when it really isn't.

I didn't say they weren't forcing software. I said they weren't forcing Macs, like a user before had suggested. But they aren't forcing software: forcing software would be MAKING you get OS X, and the way of them doing that would be MAKING you get a Macintosh (since only Macintoshes run OS X natively). Sure, they are restricting it, IF you want to buy a Mac. But then again, so does Microsoft with Windows: and on a much wider range of laptops and desktops.

As for the bloatware, I still haven't understood how that is relevant to the conversation.

Years
    I didn't say they weren't forcing software. I said they weren't forcing Macs, like a user before had suggested. But they aren't forcing software: forcing software would be MAKING you get OS X, and the way of them doing that would be MAKING you get a Macintosh (since only Macintoshes run OS X natively). Sure, they are restricting it, IF you want to buy a Mac. But then again, so does Microsoft with Windows: and on a much wider range of laptops and desktops.

As for the bloatware, I still haven't understood how that is relevant to the conversation.

Microsoft doesn't push it out... they're just the only commercially viable OS choice for many manufacturers because Apple uses its own hardware and the numerous Linux distros don't all have x86 architecture support, and the ones that do don't have wide compatibility with the vast majority of software available.

And the bloatware is relevant because it tends to get in the way of a decent/good Windows experience.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    Microsoft doesn't push it out... they're just the only commercially viable OS choice for many manufacturers because Apple uses its own hardware and the numerous Linux distros don't all have x86 architecture support, and the ones that do don't have wide compatibility with the vast majority of software available.

And the bloatware is relevant because it tends to get in the way of a decent/good Windows experience.

Wait, so you're saying the Apple pushes it because it only allows its OS in its machines? When we were talking about "Pushing it out" we were referring to "forcing the usage" of macintoshes, for example by programmes that involved the distribution of Macs to kids. I guess we weren't quite clear on what we meant.

On the same subject, bloatware ends up being irrelevant. No one ever contested the quality of Windows, nor went on a comparison of OS X vs Windows, or Apple vs Microsoft. It is definetly relevant on the way you put it, but the way you put it is not related to the primary topic. We were simply talking about if Apple imposed or not its machines in order to gain market.

Zet

Years
    Apple is forcing people to use Safari by default. Europe will soon kick Steve Jobs in the head to make a version of OS X so that users can choose which browser it should come installed with.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    Apple is forcing people to use Safari by default. Europe will soon kick Steve Jobs in the head to make a version of OS X so that users can choose which browser it should come installed with.

While that does not contradict what was being debated, I do agree it's kind of sad. Though PCs also only come installed with one browser, so... >_>

Years
    Though PCs also only come installed with one browser, so... >_>

So the EU didn't make Microsoft follow through on giving people choices for their browser? Or is that ruling still being appealed by Microsoft?

And, I wasn't saying Apple pushes its OS, I was saying they push stuff like Safari (and maybe iTunes , but I'm not sure whether that's standard fare or not) in the same way Microsoft pushes IE and Windows Media Player (which is definitely superior to iTunes on a Windows box, and in user-friendliness when it comes to complete updates - it doesn't lose track of your library when upgrading it to a newer version, which is the problem I've been having with iTunes lately).

Back