• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Kirby, Kirby, Kirby Challenge!

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years

Introduction

Hello there, and welcome to the Kirby Challenge event thread! In this challenge, you are all free to play any sort of Kirby Games that you like, with one catch - you're only allowed to use one copy ability for the whole game! So basically, choose a copy ability that you want to use (eg. Fire Kirby, Cutter Kirby, Elec Kirby, etc), and you have to only use that ability to defeat enemies and bosses, or just use your natural kirby abilities.​

Rules

- The final day to post all logs and progress is April 4th 2014, (or about a month from now) which is when the event will end!
    - Please don't use any cheat devices or codes. D:
    - If you want to join, refer to the Sign-Up Section below!
    - Feel free to use emulators if you wish - you don't have to play these games on a normal handheld or console!
    - Try to jot down your progress in this thread - juuust to see that you're at least attempting it, if its a little tough to beat.
    - And again, only use the copy ability that you've chosen in the game, or just use your natural kirby abilities of sucking, low sweeping, kirby's ability to blow right back at them, etc.
    - Got any other questions? Feel free to ask in this thread!​

Restrictions & Legibility

Hm, I believe in this challenge, any sort of kirby game is possible, and you're allowed to play any kirby game in the series. Feel free to choose any kirby game you want!​

Prizes

Aw, but, what's a little event-challenge without prizes in store? For participating, you'll get this emblem! (And possibly a secret one, ohoho):

Sign-Up Sheet

If you want to participate, fill out this SUS below!

Username:
    Game:
    Kirby Ability:

For example:
    Username: Dragon
    Game: Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
    Game: Fire Kirby

Challengers

Spoiler:

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    This is an amazing idea!

Username: elheroeoscuro
    Game: Kirby Super Star [SNES] (It has 8 games in it so I'll do all the story-based ones with one ability)
    Kirby Ability: Fighter Kirby

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    This is so neat! Quick question though, if we choose Kirby 64, do we have to choose a single copy ability or can we pick a dual?

I don't know if I'm gonna sign up yet, because I have my own event going on and a trillion things for school, but this doesn't end til after spring break, so I'm thinking I might work on it then. But we'll see. Great idea though, Shawn! I love it. :) It's like a monotype, but with Kirby.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    This is so neat! Quick question though, if we choose Kirby 64, do we have to choose a single copy ability or can we pick a dual?

I don't know if I'm gonna sign up yet, because I have my own event going on and a trillion things for school, but this doesn't end til after spring break, so I'm thinking I might work on it then. But we'll see. Great idea though, Shawn! I love it. :) It's like a monotype, but with Kirby.

Mmm, I've been thinking about that - yes, you can use dual abilities because they're teeeechnically going to be the same 'type' of Kirby power. Just so long as, you know, you stick to the same color or the same element. :3

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Okay then!

Username: Everlark
    Game: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
    Kirby Ability: Bomb Kirby

I won't be starting for a while, and I maaay end up changing abilities before I start, but I'm thinking of the Shiver Star boss and remembering that Bomb is always best and that's the hardest boss imo, so yeah.

Kirby 64 in mind though, do you require that I end the game with Zero-2? Because to get all the shards to access him, you have to use different powers and combos to get boxed shards and it's a pain in the butt and would ruin the point of the challenge, but yeah, just wanna know lol. Basically, would I have to go through the game with Bomb, then go through and get the shards with the other powers/combos just to access the real final boss? And you don't even use a regular copy ability on Zero-2 anyway so there's that...

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Okay then!

Username: Everlark
    Game: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
    Kirby Ability: Bomb Kirby

I won't be starting for a while, and I maaay end up changing abilities before I start, but I'm thinking of the Shiver Star boss and remembering that Bomb is always best and that's the hardest boss imo, so yeah.

Kirby 64 in mind though, do you require that I end the game with Zero-2? Because to get all the shards to access him, you have to use different powers and combos to get boxed shards and it's a pain in the butt and would ruin the point of the challenge, but yeah, just wanna know lol. Basically, would I have to go through the game with Bomb, then go through and get the shards with the other powers/combos just to access the real final boss? And you don't even use a regular copy ability on Zero-2 anyway so there's that...

Nope! Just the normal ending is fine. :3

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    That's a relief! lol Thanks, Shawn! Wish spring break would hurry up, since I'll be doing this mainly then. Again, great event! I can't wait to finally start playing. Thanks for making it!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Sure, I'll sign up. Sounds like a fun challenge. :]

Username: Peitharchia.
    Game: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards.
    Kirby Ability: Flaming Arrow.

Years
    Username: Aeroblast
    Game: Nightmare in Dream Land

Kirby Ability: Undecided (Probably Spark, but who knows)

Last edited:

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
    Interesting, koff~

To be honest, I've played several hundreds of hours with Kirby. Kirby Dreamland on the Gameboy was the first one I ever played, and I think it's the first in the series or close to it, anyway. Those that have played the game know that there are no such things as copy abilities, and the only way to damage bosses was to suck up the items and stars that the bosses spit out. There was one exception, and that was Batista (at I think that's what the blimp with the cannon was called).

A bonus for those that have beaten the Kirby's Dreamland will remember that you could unlock Hardmode with a series of buttons at the start menu. It changed the health, damage, look and resistance for many of the characters in the game. I remember playing the hell out of this game. Beating it on hardmode was one of those mini triumphs for me at the time, as you could not save, so you had to beat it all in one sitting.

I missed a few of the Snes titles, mainly Kirby Superstar (which I bought for the DS to make up for it). I've played through Kirby 64 with Refrigerator Kirby if I remember correctly (to show my scoffing friends I could), and Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland with the Sword. With Kirby's Magic Mirror I used the hammer. For Squeak Squad it was the icebomb. And I think there's a few others I can't remember. Keep in mind that most of the games after Meta-Knight's introduction saw that you had no choice other than to utilize the sword he gave you, so there's that. Also, there are some instances where the final boss had you use another ability to defeat them. So all in all, I think I'll dink around with this, but I won't be as dedicated to it as, say, others, but just for kicks I'll do the Meta-Knight run on Kirby Super Star.

Oh, and they really need to port Kirby 64 over to the 3DS store. Seriously, I haven't played that game since getting rid of my 64, and that was way back in like 2002, and I don't relish buying a wii and the Kirby Collection to actually play it.

Name: CoffeeDrink
    Game: Kirby Super Star
    Type: Meta-Knight Run (Timed), and later a Shinobi run.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
    YAY! Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards is one of my favorite games ever!

Username: Omicron
    Game: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards.
    Kirby Ability: Spark Kirby

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Added.. pretty much everyone! Still have almost a month left so no worries! Updating my progress here soooon~

CoffeeDrink

Years
    Done with Meta Knight run, koff~

Time was 55 minutes and some odd seconds. Not my fastest, which is 48 minutes, but there it is. Been plugging away with the Shinobi ability, so there's that, koffi~

FloatingMew

Keeping 1 post a day ^^
    Years
    Username: FloatingMew
    Game: Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland
    Kirby Ability: Cutter

Question: If someone were to play Kirby Superstar, is that game doable since you are forced to use sword and wheelie in return of meta knight?

CoffeeDrink

Years
    Username: FloatingMew
    Game: Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland
    Kirby Ability: Cutter

Question: If someone were to play Kirby Superstar, is that game doable since you are forced to use sword and wheelie in return of meta knight?

It depends on which game you play in Kirby Superstar, koff~

But yeah, I think we brought up the fact that the game forces you to use the sword to fight Meta-knight. I think the work around is to 'lose' the power you have equipped, pick up the sword, lose that one and suck up the one you tossed. Or just beat him sans ability by ditching the sword. Update: the shinobi ability was far and few between, so I decided to beat Revenge of Meta-Knight without an ability after all. I just barely eked by the time limit with about 23 seconds to spare. I had to use the flame ability to light a fuse to continue, but every enemy I took down I used the default vacuum abilities. So yeah, all done, koffi~

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Yeah - by the way, if you've come to an impasse on the game where it FORCES you to use the ability, then by all means use it, if there's no other choice! ^^

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    After 10 minutes of troubleshooting, finally got my SNES to work and playing Kirby Superstar now! Will update in a little bit:

*Supposedly you can't keep the SNES and the Xbox 360 plugged into the same power source

Update 1: Kirby Super Star/Fighting Kirby [Spring Breeze: Stage 1 - Green Greens]
    Took a little bit of time to get accustomed to the controls (kept thinking it was a Mario game for some reason) but I eventually got to the boss! Very easy, wasn't an issue. Haven't gotten a Knuckle Joe yet though so still waiting to get my only ability.

Stage 1 Cleared! (8:50 PM ET)
    (note: that's just a generic screenshot I took off of the web. Didn't have any abilities at the time)

Update 2: Kirby Super Star/Fighting Kirby [Spring Breeze: Stage 2 - Float Islands]
    What do you know, first enemy is a Knuckle Joe! :D Almost squandered my opportunity though cause after updating the first time I almost forgot how to play the game xD Barely got to the end of the level (had a smidge of health level) as I'm still getting accustomed to Fighter Kirby, but luckily the boss wasn't too hard! Actually didn't know that the boss was from another game, who knew!

Stage 2 Cleared! (9:02 PM ET)

Update 3: Kirby Super Star/Fighting Kirby [Spring Breeze: Stage 3 - Bubbly Clouds]
    Ended up doing well until I go to some space section. Two chickens attacked me and I ended up getting killed by forgetting to fly so I lost my Knuckle Joe ability -_- Ended up dying again against the mini-boss Kracko, and then accidentally sucked up a Waddle-Dee and got its ability. Had to kill myself at that point; I didn't know that if you held him too long than you take it's ability. Nonetheless, was able to struggle get to the final boss and beat him. Onto Mt. Dedede!

Stage 3 Cleared! (9:07 PM ET)

Update 4: Kirby Super Star/Fighting Kirby [Spring Breeze: Stage 4 - Mt. Dedede]
    Didn't realize that Spring Breeze was so short, but this was the last boss of this game. Took me awhile that the door as right in front of me the whole time which brings you right to the final boss that is King Dedede. At first I found it really difficult to combat him (as I didn't have any ability) so I ended up dying my first time around. However, my second run I was able to learn it's pattern and was able to beat it with health to spare.

Stage 4 Cleared! (9:16 PM ET)

I'm going to take a break now, but up next is going to be Dynablade! Should be fun! (:

Kirby Super Star Game Progress: 1/8 Games Completed

Last edited:

FloatingMew

Keeping 1 post a day ^^
    Years
    Update 2

I hate having to upload the pictures to Photobucket... If you need photo proof tell me but otherwise I wont.

I competed

Area 2
    Area 3
    and I just beat area 4

Kracko is the first boss I had to look up. When he was flying up and I saw the jump guy, I thought I had to use Hi-jump because stars wouldnt hit him- So I looked it up and I learned that that was a phase before the battle xD anyway... Most of these bosses are surprisingly easy without a power since none of the power museums I have have cutter.

Kracko was the hardest boss so far... Without a power I game over'd like 3 times DX

Back