• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Language and Lingo Club

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
  • I think it'd be helpful if people posted the resources they're using to study their languages. That way other people who want to get started with a language have a good place to go :)

I started off learning Korean with HowToStudyKorean.com. I really liked the format and explanations so that's definitely a good place to start. Unfortunately, the lessons are all text only (although most of the vocab has a audio file of a native speaker saying the word). Another great site is TalkToMeInKorean.com. They have a lot of great, free resources to use (Lesson PDFs, practice workbooks, etc.) and they provide great audio lessons, so you actually get to hear the language in action. Definitely recommend this site.

행운 (Good luck) fellow Korean learners! ^.^

GoldenHouou

Abstract Nonsense
    Years
  • I need to be in this club like burning. Languages nnnnghhhh.

I'm fluent in Finnish and English, and semi-fluent in Japanese. I can understand most everything being said to me in the language, as well as hold a conversation on various topics in it. I spent three weeks in the country doing all my business in the language, as well as lived with a Japanese person who didn't speak a lick of English for six months - after which we were good friends and all, too. But reading... Yeah, I don't know my kanji yet. I've only got around 300 or so down, which is nowhere near the ~2000 required. I'm playing through some Japanese-language games at the moment though, so that helps. I've learned such bizarre kanji that way, ha. Thank you, SDR2.

Apaaart from that, I can understand Spanish (played some games in Spanish before) and Swedish fairly well, but freeze if I have to say anything beyond hello. I've also studied German and Russian in the past, and right now I'm living in Korea (been for almost a year) and getting kinda okay in the language. My French friends have also taken to giving me a word a day. But those are mostly curse words and my pronunciation is ♥♥♥♥.

As for how I learnt, uh. English from video games, media and the Internet. Japanese from the same sources plus immersion and some self study. The rest in school, hence why I'm not as good with them. I need to start watching Korean dramas, huh.

Also ooh, a fellow Korean student that is rare.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hello guys! I'd like to join this fantastic place~

The name's Janna (pronounced John-uh). I'm fluent in reading, writing, and speaking English and am also a fluent Russian speaker, having been born in Russia. I don't write very well at all since I don't have a reason to so my writing skills are bad whereas I can read Russian, just slowly haha. I also know minor French from taking three semesters of it in uni.

I'm hoping to learn German and Japanese in the near future but that's just a dream for now. Japanese will likely come first since I plan to attend language school there for a few years once I have enough income. :)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I think it'd be helpful if people posted the resources they're using to study their languages. That way other people who want to get started with a language have a good place to go :)

I started off learning Korean with HowToStudyKorean.com. I really liked the format and explanations so that's definitely a good place to start. Unfortunately, the lessons are all text only (although most of the vocab has a audio file of a native speaker saying the word). Another great site is TalkToMeInKorean.com. They have a lot of great, free resources to use (Lesson PDFs, practice workbooks, etc.) and they provide great audio lessons, so you actually get to hear the language in action. Definitely recommend this site.

Ooh yay :3.

For Japanese, I've been using apps:
    Dr. Moku's Hirigana/Katakana - uses pictograms and fun things to help you remember the kana. (Beginners).
    Human Japanese (Beginners/Intermediate) - very helpful, step by step lessons on vocab, grammar and eventually use of Kanji.

I need to be in this club like burning. Languages nnnnghhhh.

I'm fluent in Finnish and English, and semi-fluent in Japanese. I can understand most everything being said to me in the language, as well as hold a conversation on various topics in it. I spent three weeks in the country doing all my business in the language, as well as lived with a Japanese person who didn't speak a lick of English for six months - after which we were good friends and all, too. But reading... Yeah, I don't know my kanji yet. I've only got around 300 or so down, which is nowhere near the ~2000 required. I'm playing through some Japanese-language games at the moment though, so that helps. I've learned such bizarre kanji that way, ha. Thank you, SDR2.

Apaaart from that, I can understand Spanish (played some games in Spanish before) and Swedish fairly well, but freeze if I have to say anything beyond hello. I've also studied German and Russian in the past, and right now I'm living in Korea (been for almost a year) and getting kinda okay in the language. My French friends have also taken to giving me a word a day. But those are mostly curse words and my pronunciation is ♥♥♥♥.

As for how I learnt, uh. English from video games, media and the Internet. Japanese from the same sources plus immersion and some self study. The rest in school, hence why I'm not as good with them. I need to start watching Korean dramas, huh.

Also ooh, a fellow Korean student that is rare.

Hello guys! I'd like to join this fantastic place~

The name's Janna (pronounced John-uh). I'm fluent in reading, writing, and speaking English and am also a fluent Russian speaker, having been born in Russia. I don't write very well at all since I don't have a reason to so my writing skills are bad whereas I can read Russian, just slowly haha. I also know minor French from taking three semesters of it in uni.

I'm hoping to learn German and Japanese in the near future but that's just a dream for now. Japanese will likely come first since I plan to attend language school there for a few years once I have enough income. :)

WELCOME BOTH! :D Added to the list.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • I think it'd be helpful if people posted the resources they're using to study their languages. That way other people who want to get started with a language have a good place to go :)

Rosetta Stone
    Pimsleur
    BBC Languages

The three above give you a sort of 'mental immersion', which means your brain is having the perception of learning the language from the locals. But the best way, of course, will always be 'cultural immersion', wherein your brain is 'forced' to learn and adapt the language because of your presence in the country, among native speakers.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I haven't noticed this club yet (!!!), and it seems to be inactive - which is a shame because languages is becoming a lifestyle for me already.

I'm going straight to the point, to prevent me from blabbering too much on the languages I know and all, haha.

English: Mother tongue. I grew up speaking it and it's probably my best language.
    Tagalog: Native language. I'm not really good at it, but I use Tagalog in communicating with friends.
    Dutch: Learning since 2012. My favorite language and I can speak it on a moderate level.
    German: On-off since late 2011. I've forgotten most of it, but thanks to Dutch, I can recognize a few German words here and there. :) Beginner level.
    French: Since late 2011. I'm currently on a hiatus on it, but I want to get back to it someday. Focusing more of it than focusing on German. Really beginner-ish.

I'm interested in most Slavic languages, Greek and Italian. :)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Welcome! It does seem a bit inactive ;-; but but but we can change that!~

Japanese resources:
    Human Japanese - Available on PCs, iPhones, etc.etc. Found it really really helpful since it has culture and vocab lessons as well as quizzes and Kanji.
    NHK Podcasts are also quite helpful if you'd prefer to listen and hear actual conversations/pronounciation rather than just reading/writing skills.

We now have a 'resources' list in the first post - feel free to post more for me to add on!

Last edited:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Yeah, it does seem pretty inactive. And nice idea on the resources section, Swifty! I'll go find some things that I could contribute and such. :)

I wanna go ahead and start up a new topic if y'all don't mind! Have you taken any language classes in high school/college/university? if so, which ones?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Right now I'm taking Spanish in high school! I am pretty okay at it, although I can understand and write it a lot better than I can speak it. I really want to take Japanese outside of school though, to get some official teaching instead of just me. n_n Maybe I'll start that next year or something.

I'm sure there are plenty of other resources like this, but I found this website useful in learning hiragana with mnemonics.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
    Years
  • I took Spanish as a Freshmen in High School but I didn't really try all that hard so I didn't do very well and have forgotten anything I did learn. D:

I'm signed up to take Japanese in the Fall during my first semester of college though. I'm really looking forward to it, and hopefully I'll enjoy it. The college I'm going to has 3 or 4 levels of Japanese classes so if I do enjoy it, I'll be able to continue learning for another year or two :D

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I wanna go ahead and start up a new topic if y'all don't mind! Have you taken any language classes in high school/college/university? if so, which ones?

I look French at GCSE (up to age 16) but nothing since then :(. I'm hoping to attend a Japanese course over the summer at a local university, though.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • When I moved to Mexico at 15, I was forced to take English (as a second language) classes because it was a requirement to graduate for schools in Mexico. Of course, I passed the class with an Easy A. As I returned to the states, the school I attended for both Junior and Senior years, I have to take Spanish. Even though Spanish was the home language and it wasn't my native language, I was able to take Intermediate Spanish to refresh my skills. I got a B instead of an A. Then I continued my Spanish classes at college, taking Grammatical classes, and Spanish Literature.

Back