• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Laziest Day-Care Man? And Egg Rage!

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    Hey Folks!!

I've been doing a lot of IV breeding recently and in between my fits of rage at getting ANOTHER Joltik with UNNERVE, I've noticed that the Kalos Day-Care Man might be the laziest one of any generation!! Here's my reason why:

The Day-Care Man only has one job, to turn around when there is an egg ready for you to collect, and the backwards cap wearing fiend doesn't always bother!! Sometimes I just have to ask him myself & an egg will be available. Hmmph!

Has anyone else found this? Also feel free to share any rages caused by breeding fails/quirks - I have a thousand of them! :D

EDIT: I know you have to leave the screen for the Day-Care Man to turn around! always go the whole length from cave to town. XD

Last edited:

Ársa

k.
    Years
    Eggs are generated after a set amount of steps taken I believe. The probability is determined (as I'm sure you know) by a number of factors including same/different species and same/different trainer ID. If an egg is generated while the day care man is on-screen, he will remain facing the fence because (as far as I can see) he is programmed to turn once he re-enters the screen.

Sleeping Eevee

Let Sleeping Eves Lie
    Years
    If the parents (specifically the mother) have Unnerve, then chances are it'll pass on.
    I do think it takes so long for my eggs to appear...the appear randomly at way different times after each other. I've had my marill give me another egg after like, 30 seconds after one egg, or after about two minutes.

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    If the parents (specifically the mother) have Unnerve, then chances are it'll pass on.

You say that, but I bred it OUT of both 4x31 IV parents (they BOTH have Compound Eyes) yet EVERY egg from the last 10 has had Unnerve, including one 5x31 IV Joltik that would have been perfect otherwise. I know this is just unlucky... but it really makes me burn sometimes. :P

Eggs are generated after a set amount of steps taken I believe. The probability is determined (as I'm sure you know) by a number of factors including same/different species and same/different trainer ID. If an egg is generated while the day care man is on-screen, he will remain facing the fence because (as far as I can see) he is programmed to turn once he re-enters the screen.

Oh I know how it works, it's just that I go out of the day-care area when cycling off the steps & it always happens after a REALLY long wait for another egg to come along. Sometimes it feels easier to blame the game than believe it can happen to you 5 times in an hour. :D

Last edited:

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
    I tested a theory last night and discovered that the daycare man will NOT turn around if you never leave the screen. In addition to the number of steps being required, you have to leave the screen for his sprite to refresh.

You CAN, however, talk to him if you never leave the screen. He'll still give you eggs if the % chance was successful for breeding. Not sure why you'd stay on the screen though (other than out of curiousity like me).

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2014
    I tested a theory last night and discovered that the daycare man will NOT turn around if you never leave the screen. In addition to the number of steps being required, you have to leave the screen for his sprite to refresh.

You CAN, however, talk to him if you never leave the screen. He'll still give you eggs if the % chance was successful for breeding. Not sure why you'd stay on the screen though (other than out of curiousity like me).

Ah, I was wondering about that.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    DanteSolablood you know that you can change a pkmn's ability with the ability capsule, right?

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    DanteSolablood you know that you can change a pkmn's ability with the ability capsule, right?

Uhm... yes???? *runs into the corner of the room & cries*

Uhm... I'll just get onto that.... *cries again*

EDIT: Wow, 200 Battlepoints AND you can't use it for hidden abilities? Hmm, think I'll continue breeding. :D

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    I can trade one if you want. Not the appropriate topic though, so pm me if interested.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    It's best to talk to the Day-care man right after dropping off a the Pokemon you're breeding. He'll tell you how much the 2 like each other, which is an indicator of how quickly an egg will be produced. If its not favorable, you might wanna replace one of the parents, if possible.

Although it seems to be a bit random... I once dropped off a pair of Pokemon at the day care, and as soon as I walked out the door, he had an egg for me already. Then I've had to wait a good minute or 2 for the same 2 pokes to make an egg.

And about your Joltiks...thats called the RNG hates you. Happens to everyone (like my Marills not having any kids with Huge Power, despite the fact that the father has Huge Power).

Raichupacabra

Villain
    Years
    And about your Joltiks...thats called the RNG hates you. Happens to everyone (like my Marills not having any kids with Huge Power, despite the fact that the father has Huge Power).

Does the mother have Huge Power or Thick Fat? If she has Thick Fat, then there is an 80% chance each baby will have Thick Fat. The father's ability has no role in the ability the baby will get unless breeding with a Ditto.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
    Well if you think about it, it's almost like when breeding in the 4th gen. games you can ride you bike from route 209 to 210 and if you are near the DC man and he is facing forward, means he (maybe) has no egg, but you can touch the bottom screen and it will show that there is an egg there.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
    Gosh, koffi~

This is why I like the phone. There is some inconvenience with it, yes, but you can choose not to register numbers and just grab the important ones. At least the egg guy would shout in the 5th games.

Off-topic: I miss the vs. seeker and the phone. Battling Gym Leaders anytime I wanted was such fun, koff~

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Does the mother have Huge Power or Thick Fat? If she has Thick Fat, then there is an 80% chance each baby will have Thick Fat. The father's ability has no role in the ability the baby will get unless breeding with a Ditto.

Funny thing is, shortly after posting that, they had a Marill with Huge Power and the egg moves. RNG is so weird...

But yes, it was the mother that had Thick Fat. I thought it'd be 50/50 for getting Huge Power, not 20/80. Oh well, I have my Adamant Huge Power Bell Drum&Aqua Jet Marill now.

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
    Years
    try to get the item called oval charm by completing the kalos pokedex, it helps getting the day care dude to turn his head around more frequently. At times, I still receive eggs even when he doesn't turn around.

Back