• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The logic as of gen 7.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2019
    Exeggutor, looks like a skinny palm tree and is grass/dragon dual type.

The logic as of gen 7.

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2018
    IMO his bottom half does look kinda like a dragon. It's Pokémon, have some imagination. xD

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Aside from its bottom part looking like a dragon, it's also based on the dragon tree, a group of plants that includes several species of palm trees.

Usually if a Pokemon has a typing that seems to make no sense, it's because what it's based on has a nickname relating to the type or it's name has a different meaning in Japanese.

The same happened with Ampharos becoming Electric/Dragon. I think it's Japanese name includes the word for dragon or something like that.

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
    Usually if a Pokemon has a typing that seems to make no sense, it's because what it's based on has a nickname relating to the type or it's name has a different meaning in Japanese.

The same happened with Ampharos becoming Electric/Dragon. I think it's Japanese name includes the word for dragon or something like that.

The dragon tree genus are called the Dracaena in Latin which is used for official scientific descriptions. Which apparently comes from the ancient Greek word drakaina which means female dragon. So it's not just in English.

So it might have a relation to dragons in its Japanese name as well. After all there are no dragon trees native to Japan so they might've just adopted the nam of another language for it.

Years
    Exeggutor does grow a tail that could fit with the Dragon typing, but as mentioned it is more in-depth than you think. Dracowyn likely explained it all, and there's also the fact there's a palm tree called a Dragon Palm.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    As stated, Exeggutor's Alola Form is based on the Dragon Palm in most cases. And it being the way it is now, makes more sense. It was supposed to be based on palm tree and it was a fat palm tree, which is the main reason I have always hated it. Now I like much more because it looks like it is supposed to look.

Besides, it has been out for a long time, they just haven't included it. The Jungle TCG Set had Exeggutor as a long, tall palm tree.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2016
    As stated, Exeggutor's Alola Form is based on the Dragon Palm in most cases. And it being the way it is now, makes more sense. It was supposed to be based on palm tree and it was a fat palm tree, which is the main reason I have always hated it. Now I like much more because it looks like it is supposed to look.

Short, fat palm trees are definitely a thing
    The logic as of gen 7.

Years
    Well, I do have to wonder if you will only find Alola formes in Alola, or if their original formes are gonna be around too... hmm.

Back