• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Re:Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2021
    Ok its been quite a while and I've got quite a bit to talk about.

First thing is I beat crystal in my poison monotype a while ago and I did post about it so an update to that would be great.
    Second I beat Platinum in my poison monotype I posted at some point that I started but I didn't really make any updates I don't think but here is the final team;

Kojo (Roserade) lvl 50 sludge bomb, giga drain, ingrain, toxic spikes

Kiba (Crobat) lvl 50 fly, cross poison, x-scissor, confuse ray

Yurei (Gengar) lvl 49 shadow ball, dark pulse, confuse ray, curse

Bufo (Toxicroak) lvl 51 poison jab, brick break, earthquake, rain dance

Sasareta (Drapion) lvl 52 crunch, cross poison, ice fang, toxic spikes

Possibly my meanest team yet with all the dirty tricks I could possibly fathom and it was to great effect though waiting to get cross poison on skorupi was so painful it still hurts. Its been several months so I can't scrounge up any substantial updates beyond that but I will do better after today.

But that's not all...

Pokemon Sword Complete!?
    I actually did my first gen 8 run with a poison monotype and it was super fun.
    I (Tyler) grabbed Sobble from Leon to give myself an early advantage only to learn that this rival never learned about type advantage and grabbed the fire type to screw with me.
    Caught an Oddish (Plume) to really start.
    As this was my first gen 8 run I caught dozens of pokemon liberally including a few poison mons that didn't even see battle in the end including Budew (Rade) and Trubbish (Dor).
    Got my second mon gifted at day care, a male Toxel (Tox).
    This was also kind of a while ago so I can't say who was first but I caught a Stunky (Skun) and a Koffing (Zing).
    Grinded because of OCD but eventually acquired a second Toxel (Tricity) though female this time.
    At some point Plume evolves into Gloom, Tox into Toxtricity (Low Key) with Tricity soon after (Amped), Skun evolves into Skuntank, and Zing into Galarian Weezing.
    I sit on Plume as a Gloom for a very long time to get Solar Beam before using a leaf stone to reach Vileplume.
    At this point I believe I have the whole team as everything else is something I really wanna use in a different gen of the monotype so I don't want to get tired of them, but then my monotype dreams finally came true with a perfect, beautiful, Poison-type legendary all for me Eternatus (Natus)
    at this point I have beaten most of the game and while there was some struggles I reach the Champion and come to a realization, I haven't blacked out the entire game, so once I beat Leon I became the new undefeated Champion.
    While that is the actual end of the run I did do a bit of post game so I don't have the exact lvls at that time so I'll give what I have now.

Plume (Vileplume) lvl 63 solar beam, toxic, sleep powder, sunny day
    Tox (Toxtricity Low Key) lvl 63 hex, overdrive, boomburst, nuzzle
    Zing (Galarian Weezing) lvl 61 sludge bomb, stange steam, toxic, heat wave
    Skun (Skuntank) lvl 62 night slash, venoshock, flamethrower, toxic
    Tricity (Toxtricity Amped) venoshock, boomburst, overdrive, toxic
    Natus (Eternatus) dynamax cannon, draco meteor, cross poison, flamethrower

Not much to say about the run other than most of it was pretty easy until near the end where everybody had a bunch of steel types I had to whittle down slowly.

...But wait there's more!

Pokemon White... started.
    I (Lola) started my journey grabbing Tepig because I couldn't afford to have a rival with a fire type.
    Caught 2 Lillipups for Pickup, a Patrat for Cut, and a Pidove for Fly later.
    Rushed my way through the first 2 gyms to reach Pinwheel Forest so I could catch my real starter Venipede (Puera).
    Despite a cool design Puera is pretty fragile so I very slowly grind to lvl 22 to become Whirlipede for some much needed bulk and muscle.
    Cleared out Pinwheel Forest and progressed to Castelia City and am slowly clearing it out of things to do before going to the gym.

Puera (Whirlipede) lvl 23
    Its a pretty rough start but I am really enjoying it so far as gen v is one of the only 2 gens I have never finished (the other being gen 6).

My other Monotypes have no updates at this time but I do plan to return to the fighting run after I finish poison.
    Sorry about the wall of text and detail sparse updates but hopefully I will now update it more regularly.

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • Finally going to start my Ultimate Monotype! I'm looking forward to playing these

Forum User Name: Sumner
    Game(s): Fire Red, Storm Silver, Omega Ruby, Renegade Platinum, Black 2, X, Ultra Moon
    Pokémon Type: Poison
    Single/Ultimate: Ultimate

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I've done a couple monotype runs off site, but I've decided to write about some from now on. I'm starting with a Single.

Forum User Name: ShyRayq
    Game(s): Diamond
    Pokémon Type: Poison
    Single/Ultimate: Single

EDIT:
    Started the challenge just before.

-Chose the girl and named myself Petra.
    -Chose Piplup for my starter so I could have Surf and rushed through the game to get to Ravaged Path.
    -Caught Tiburon the Zubat. Grinded her up until she learned Bite and battled the trainers I skipped.
    -Made it to Oreburgh and challenged Roark. Had to abuse Supersonic, and hope that Roark's pokemon hit themselves in confusion and hope that Rock Throw would miss. Managed to get the Coal Badge after like 3 attempts.
    -I hope I could say that I destroyed the trainers after that but Zubat is really frail. Even when Tiburon evolved into Golbat, she still fainted a lot.
    -Went through Floaroma, Route 205 and Eterna Forest and Challenged Gardenia in Eterna Gym. Thankfully, a much easier battle due to Wing Attack.
    -Using Cut, I went into the Old Chateau and caught Hidalgo the Gastly. Grinded her up to par with Tiburon, evolving her into Haunter in the process.
    -Steamrolled the Galactic Building and pretty much every route afterward. My pokemon were way overlevelled because I was only using 2 of them.
    -Midway through the Lost Tower, Tiburon evolved into a Crobat.
    -Made it to Veilstone and before challenging the gym, skipped to the Great Marsh to get Puya the Croagunk and Cascabel the Skorupi. Had to change the dya a couple of times to get them to appear.
    -Along the way, Hidalgo hit Lvl36, which I thought was an appropriate time to evolve her into a Gengar.
    -Stopped there, just before having to grind them for Maylene.

Team:
    -Tiburon the Crobat (F), Lvl37 : Wing Attack, Bite, Confuse Ray, Leech Life
    -Hidalgo the Gengar (F), Lvl37: Shadow Ball, Night Shade, Psychic, Payback
    -Puya the Croagunk (F), Lvl22: Taunt, Pursuit, Feint Attack, Revenge
    -Cascabel the Skorupi (M), Lvl22: Poison Sting, Leer, Pin Missile, Acupressure

-Piplup for Cut, Defog
    -Bidoof for Rock Smash, Strength

Last edited:

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • Ultimate Poison Monotype
    Fire Red | Storm Silver | Omega Ruby | Renegade Platinum | Black 2 | X | Ultra Moon

Spoiler:

This is Leo. He wants to become a Poison-type Expert: and what's a better way to do that than playing using only Poison-types through all of the regions?

Travelling Journal #1

Melemele Island
    -Chose Popplio, and was forced to use it for a while until the Trainer's School.
    -Caught a Grimer at the Trainer's School. Grinded up some levels.
    -Blacked out to a Slowpoke. Those things carry Curse already, geez.
    -Was able to easily beat the teacher with Bite's stab.
    -Illima obliterated me with his Leer spam + Tackle combination.
    -I bought a Guard Spec. for my next attempt and that worked out, thankfully. Defense drops are bad.
    -Caught an Ekans in Route 2, a Gastly and a Zubat at the Hau'oli Cemetery.
    -Trained my new team members for the next trial.
    -Was able to defeat Totem Raticate with a cheesy Glare + Leer strategy. Ekans turns out to be a pretty useful Pokémon.
    -Zubat made Hala's fight a little easier. I tried switching to Gastly to try to bait him into using his Z-Move, but he just went for a Pursuit instead...

Spoiler:

Akala Island
    -Zubat evolved into Golbat.
    -I thought Golbat would win the water trial against Araquanid easily, but unfortunately a Masquerain of all things popped up, and in addition to lowering my attack, it also paralyzed me... Golbat wasn't able to defeat the totem, but thankfully his health was in range for Gastly's Night Shade to knock it out.
    -Caught a Salandit at the Volcano Park (Which almost killed my entire team with Dragon Rage) and Ekans evolved into Arbok!
    -Had a pretty rough time with Totem Marowak. I used the same Intimidate + Glare strategy with Arbok, but still 4 of my team were fainted by the end of the battle. Marowak and Salazzle are a very deadly duo in this trial.
    -After the battle, Golbat evolved again! It's now a beautiful Crobat. I'll probably use this Pokémon a lot in this Ultimate challenge to be honest.
    -Getting a lot of evolutions in this island as Gastly evolves into Haunter!
    -The last Totem was really trivial due to my obvious type advantage.
    -Had a pretty challenging battle with Olivia since I don't really have anything to hit Rock-types at the moment, but I managed to just slip through the battle with all the raw power I had.

Spoiler:

Team:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Here's an update.

-Grinded Puya the Croagunk and Cascabel the Skorupi up to match Tiburon the Crobat and Hidalgo the Gengar.
    -Fought the remaining trainers on Routes 213, and Puya evolved into a Toxicroak.
    -Finally fought and easily defeated Maylene after like 16 hours. Finished the Lucas sidequest and fought my way through Route 212.
    -Tried to fight Crasher Wake with Cascabel before realising that Skorupi is pretty bad; its best attacking moves are Poison Sting and Pin Missile. I just used Hidalgo.
    -Travelled to Celestic and Cascabel finally did something learning Poison Fang and evolving into a Drapion. Quickly retaught it Thunder Fang for coverage.
    -I went back to Hearthome to defeat Fantina so I could use Surf. Using it, I caught Szegedi the Tentacool, who quickly evolved into Tentacruel.
    -Went through the region and surfed everywhere for experience before finally travelling to Canalave.
    -Stalked Riley for a bit and then fought Byron at the Gym. Using a combination of Mud Bomb and Surf, I managed to get the Mine Badge.
    -Went through the explosion cut scenes and travelled to Lake Valor to defeat Saturn with relative ease.
    -Flew back to Twinleaf so I could help Rowan's useless assistant Lucas with his fight against Mars at Lake Verity, who went down much, much easier compared to the Valley Windworks fight.
    -Began the trek to Snowpoint City to get to Lake Acuity. Doing this is Diamond is so bad. The combination of the slow walk speed + the snow making everything invisible + Diamond's just general slowness was just great.
    -Made it to the City and quickly went to defeat Candice for the Icicle Badge. Good thing that Snover and Abomasnow are part grass so that I could use my poison moves effectively.
    -Saw Jupiter destroy my rival, then flew and exploded my way through the Galactic Building.
    -Stocked up on items and made my way up Mt. Coronet, poisoning every grunt I saw along the way. Made it to Spear Pillar and fought Mars and Jupiter with my rival. As with most things, I did most of the work.
    -Went up against Cyrus, whose Gyarados gave me a hard time. It wasn't too bad though. I also noticed that even though I was originally super overlevelled at the start of the game, the levels had finally caught up with me. Not looking forward to Cynthia.
    -After defeating Cyrus, I caught Dialga in an Ultra Ball then made my way to Sunyshore.
    -Found Volkner at the Lighthouse and made my way through the gym. It was definitely frustrating as I had no reliable ground move aside from Mud Bomb on Puya and I was being deliberately being obnoxious by using Tiburon the Crobat.
    -Defeated Volkner's "electric-type" team and got the Beacon Badge.
    -Got the Waterfall HM from that Gold-Silver reference, which I taught to Szegedi and made my way to Victory Road.
    -Saved in front of the cave.

Team:
    -Tiburon the Crobat (F), Lvl50: Wing Attack, Bite, Fly, Poison Fang
    -Hidalgo the Gengar (F), Lvl49: Shadow Ball, Night Shade, Psychic, Dark Pulse
    -Puya the Toxicroak (F), Lvl49: Poison Jab, Revenge, Faint Attack, Mud Bomb
    -Cascabel the Drapion (M), Lvl49: Poison Fang, Thunder Fang, Pin Missile, Crunch
    -Szegedi the Tentacruel (M), Lvl49: Surf, Poison Jab, Ice Beam, Waterfall

-Bidoof for Rock Smash, Strength, Rock Climb

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
    Fire Red | Storm Silver | Omega Ruby | Renegade Platinum | Black 2 | X | Ultra Moon

Travelling Journal #2

Ula'ula Island
    -Battled ??? at the Aether Paradise and Hau in Malie City.
    -Grind session on my Salandit outide of the Mount Hakulani for it to evolve for the trial.
    -Salazzle's Flame Burst just obliterates Totem Togedemaru (didn't even need to use the Z-move).
    -Grimer finally evolved after battling the Dragon-type trainer at the Tapu Village.
    -Used two Rock Tombs on Mimikyu just to guarantee Haunter could outspeed it and bring it down with a Specs boosted Shadow Ball. Thankfully the strat works out.
    -Evolved Haunter at last.
    -Went back to Hano Beach and caught a new member to my team: Tentacool.
    -Defeated Guzma at Po Town and went on the Aether Foundation Arc.
    -But before that, I had to also beat Nanu, which was a pain in the butt when I got to his Krokorok. That thing outsped every single Pokémon on my team except Crobat? Even Gengar and Salazzle like, come on... This game does not want to be played. Thankfully one Acrobatics was able to knock it out.

Spoiler:

Poni Island
    -Completed the Aether Foundation thing, and now we're on Poni Island.
    -Went to the Exxegcutor Island and got the Moon Flute, or whatever it's called.
    -Found a random shiny Granbull while training Tentacruel. He's just chilling in my PC now since I can't use him in battle.
    -Was able to clear Kommo-o's trial with the handful of super-effective attacks my team carries for it.
    -Defeated Ultra Necrozma by sacrifying all of my Pokémon and healing abuse on Muk.
    -Acquired a new member to the team: Poipole! It will be replacing Arbok, you did good my friend.
    -Gengar two-shot Totem Ribombee with the Specs-boosted Sludge Bomb.
    -I was kinda scared for Hapu. Thankfully she didn't have a Dugtrio to resist the stab of the only Pokémon on my team capable of outspeed it. Because of that, the battle went fine, I just wish I had used the water Z-move on Golurk so Tentacruel could've done something.

Spoiler:

Team:
    Spoiler:

Sorvete

Novice
    Years

Travelling Journal #3 - Final

-Battled Gladion just outside the Victory Road, pretty straightforward battle.
    -Evolved my Poipole and grinded a lot before facing the League.

Molayne
    Molayne has a Dugtrio, which is probably one of the biggest weaknesses of this team (it obliterated me in my previous attempt). It outspeeds everyone except Crobat, resists almost every attack Crobat has, and one-shots every member of my team with Earthquake. Thankfully, I can get a speed boost from Naganadel after knocking out his Klefki with Flamethrower, and then I'm able to outspeed it and one-shot the Dugtrio with a super-effective attack. Thankfully everything else on Molayne's team is slower than my mons.

Olivia
    Next up is Olivia. I lead up with Tentacruel since I know her Armaldo can't do much to it. I two-shot that thing with Scald and then she brings her Probopass. I know that thing is bulky, so I used my Z-move here. It does about half which is respectaple, but unfortunately it paralyzes me and takes me down with Earth Power. I brought in Muk and hit it with a 4x boosted Brick Break. Muk was almost able to bring down Gigalith, but it lived with one HP. My last super effective move against Rock is Focus Blast from Gengar, and I'm really hoping I can connect a few since it's only 5 PP. Miraculously though, Gengar connects all of the Focus Blasts and just obliterates the rest of her team. Nice one, Gengar.

Acerola
    I lead with Gengar, and everything just died to Shadow Ball. Even Froslass, who was faster than Gengar, couldn't KO him, and dropped along with her partners.

Kahili
    She didn't really have anything to threaten me, so the battle went pretty smoothly. It ultimately resulted in a 4-0.

Surprisingly, Hau's battle was easier than I can remember. The only Pokémon that posed as a problem was Noivern since he outsped my entire team. Seriously, this game is ridiculous. I was able to take it down with Muk's Stone Edge and Salazzle's Dragon Pulse at the end.

Spoiler:

Team:
    Spoiler:

ShyRayq

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Final update for my Poison-type Diamond run.

-Went into Victory Road and just messed up the place. Not very challenging to get through.
    -Entered the Pokemon League building and encountered my rival for the last time. Not a terribly difficult fight, but there a lot of times his pokemon just survived.
    -I decided to grind up to Lvl56, since while 50 is okay, I prefer a bit of insurance, and its not too terribly high to be overlevelled.
    -First was Aaron. His team in DP is so bad; Dustox and Beautifly are just not as good as Yanmega and Scizor. Had a pretty good time using Tiburon the Crobat for Fly and Puya the Toxicroak for Rock Slide. His Drapion was definitely a challenge since I had no Ground-type moves, but I managed to chip at its health with Brick Break until it fainted.
    -Next was Bertha. A fairly easy team to defeat. I used Szegedi the Tentacruel with Surf and Hidalgo the Gengar with Giga Drain.
    -Flint was a bit more challenging. His Infernape was fast and has pretty much neutral coverage on my whole team. Tiburon just couldn't get the kill with Fly and kept fainting to Thunder Punch. Managed to whittle it down with Szegedi. Everything else was okay.
    -Lucian wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was afraid of his Alakazam but the pokemon that gave the most trouble was his Bronzong. I had no Fire nor any Ground moves to counter it. I tried my best with Cascabel the Drapion's Crunch and Puya's Brick Break but it kept using Earthquake. I somehow managed to beat it and everything else fell immediately after.
    -Cynthia was a bit more difficult, due mainly to her Lucario. Lucario had super effective coverage on my whole team and was faster than pretty much everything else. Even though it's frail, it just wouldn't die. I had to PP-stall it for quite a while before I was able to fell it. Her Garchomp was surprisingly stupid, as it didn't use Earthquake on Szegedi, allowing it to Ice Beam it to death. Everything else gave a bit of trouble due to the level difference but it was generally okay.

-The run would end there, but there's still a whole island to explore.
    -After getting the National Pokedex, I hopped over to Route 201 to spend 15 hours Pokeradaring a 2% Nidoran M. I caught one and named it Jaloro. I then spent another 15 hours levelling it up to be on par with the rest of my team at ~Lvl56.
    -I then ran through all of the post-game routes fairly quickly. Nothing really of note to say.
    -After conquering Stark Mountain, I decided to battle the Pokemon League again to see how another team member and a small boost in levels would affect the difficulty.
    -The run ended up being really easily, especially due to Jaloro's presence. He had Earthquake and Fire Blast, a ground and a fire-type move which basically covered the remaining holes in my team's coverage. Thanks to it, all of my troubles: Drapion, Infernape, Bronzong and Lucario were defeated pretty much in 1 hit each. The level increase in my team also made the rest of the Elite Four's teams pretty easy to beat.

-And that's it.

Final Team:
    -Tiburon the Crobat (F), Lvl61 : Cross Poison, Steel Wing, U-Turn, Fly
    :A fine team member. Very weak as a Zubat and a Golbat, but became more reliable when she evolved. Her speed was definitely helpful in many areas, outspeeding pretty much every other pokemon in the game.
    -Hidalgo the Gengar (F), Lvl62 : Shadow Ball, Psychic, Dark Pulse, Giga Drain
    :Definitely the best pokemon on my team, at least in the main game. Very high Sp.Att and Spd, ripping through any pokemon she encountered. Gengar really is such a great pokemon for an in-game team.
    -Puya the Toxicroak (F), Lvl61 : Poison Jab, Brick Break, Rock Slide, Strength
    :Pretty solid pokemon. Using Brick Break was her main job and she did it well.
    -Cascabel the Drapion (M), Lvl61 : Poison Jab, Crunch, Thunder Fang, Rock Smash
    :Such a bad pokemon as a Skorupi. Poison Sting and Pin Missile as his only moves made him pretty useless in every battle until Lvl39 when he learned Poison Fang and then immediately evolving at Lvl40. After that, a very great pokemon with very solid Def. His Crunch and Thunder Fang were very reliable through the endgame.
    -Szegedi the Tentacruel (M), Lvl61 : Sludge Bomb, Surf, Ice Beam, Waterfall
    :Another solid pokemon. High Sp Def. and pretty good Sp Att. along with a good moveset in Surf and Ice Beam made him reliable in every battle he was in. That Sp Def. especially was helpful when I needed to stall for healing.
    -Jaloro the Nidoking (M), Lvl61 : Poison Jab, Earthquake, Fire Blast, Rock Climb
    :Even though I had him for like 2 hours in the post game, he was definitely the MVP. His stats are pretty mid-range, but having Earthquake and Fire Blast, as I stated above, were such a lifesaver. Nidoking is just a solid pokemon to use ingame.

Overall, this team was pretty great. The Ground and Psychic weaknesses didn't really affect me too heavily since the major users of those types were in the Elite Four in Bertha and Lucian. Even then, Bertha was very easy and Lucian was also relatively easy to beat, aside from his Bronzong. Looking forward to my next monotype run.

Years
  • Well, I am back after 3 weeks!

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge!

Yellow, HeartGold, Sigma Σmerald, Platinum, White 2, X, Ultra Sun, Sword.

Additional Rules: - No revives inside battles.
    - No PP stalling by healing all the time.

5. Pokémon White 2 (Challenge Mode) Fighting Monotype update No. 6: Final badge and Team Plasma!

In the last update, I had just reached Humilau City. I explored a few places before going to the gym, and at Route 21, my Mienfoo evolved into Mienshao! Of course, now Eviolite is useless, but I have another Expert Belt, which I gave her. And at last, my modest Lucario learnt Aura Sphere! A significant upgrade from Force Palm! Time to fight Marlon for the last badge in the game.

Wailord fell to 2 Jump Kicks from Mienshao. Next up was Mantine. He beat my Conkeldure making me flinch with Air Slash, so I had to send Scrafty. Luckily I outsped him and despite Confuse Ray, beat it with 2 Crunches. Next up was Carracosta. Thankfully, even after the Shell Smash he was slower than Lucario, and fell to 2 Aura Spheres. Finally, Lucario also beat Jellicent using Dark Pulse. After his Sitrus Berry I used Calm Mind once to stand the Scald and beat him with one more Dark Pulse. So the last badge is in the pocket!!

With this badge, I went to Route 22 to catch Terrakion, and after that I headed to the Plasma Frigate to fight Team Plasma! There I fought in a double battle with my rival against Zinzolin and a grunt. The fight was really easy for Emboar and my rival's Samurott, so not much to say, honestly.

After this fight, it was time to head to the Giant Chasm, and after going inside, I found the Plasma Frigate once more. I had to do the annoying pipe puzzle, I tend to struggle with it, but not this time, thankfully. After the puzzle, I fought Zinzolin again, and again the fight was a joke for my fighting-types. He tried setting up Reflect and Light Screen, but my Emboar has Brick Break, so…

Anyways, time to get serious, now the important battles of the game come! Colress battle! Magneton was easy for Scrafty, 2 Drain Punches did the job, and Shed Skin healed me from Paralysis! Next up was Magnezone. Exactly the same result as before, except for his Sturdy activation. He healed, but 2 Drain Punches finished him off, with Shed Skin again helping with Paralysis. Mienshao with a single Jump Kick beat the Klinklang, and Beheeyem was easy for Lucario thanks to Dark Pulse. Finally, a couple of Heat Charges from Emboar beat the Metang.

The Shadow Triad was really easy to deal with, and after this, it was time to deal with Ghetsis! First things first, I had to fight Kyureshiram! Scrafty with Hi Jump Kick and Drain Punch easily beat him. He only used Slash and charged an Ice Burn… After the fight, Ghetsis was furious, and fought me! He started with Cofagrigus. 2 Crunches after a Full Restore were enough. He hit me with Toxic, and this time Shed Skin didn't help me, though. Surviving with 14 HP and paralyzed, Conkeldurr dealt with both Seismitoad and Eelektross with Bulk Up-boosted Hammer Arms! Drapion beat my Emboar with Earthquake, but Scrafty finished him off with Hi Jump Kick. Then, Lucario thankfully was faster than Toxicroak and beat him with a single Psychic. And finally, the pathetic physical attacker Hydreygon. He made Lucario Flinch with Dragon Rush, activating Steadfast, so I outsped and koed him with Aura Sphere!

After this fight, I saved the game. Next update, we'll talk about my first try against E4! It's gonna be hard in Challenge Mode...

Current Team:

Spoiler:

Number of Badges: 8.

Current Location: Giant Chasm.

Number of losses: 1.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    FR Water Monotype Challenge Update #3:

My team and I finished our trek through Rock Tunnel shortly after my last update. It turned out we had stopped about 100 steps from the exit.

From there, we made our way from Lavender to Celadon, where we added another member to our group. I found an Eevee tucked away in a remote corner a building, and evolved him into Vaporeon.

My crew of three vanquished the Celadon gym for our fourth badge, and then took on Team Rocket's boss, Giovanni, in the basement of the Game Corner.

We are now preparing to leave Celadon City and head for our next destination.

The team:
    -Blastoise
    -Gyarados
    -Vaporeon

Levels in the mid to upper 30s.

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2024
    Forum User Name: Pluckles
    Game(s): Firered, Heart Gold, Emerald, Platinum, Black, X, Moon
    Pokémon Type: Normal

Years
  • Important update! We fight the E4 here!

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge!

Yellow, HeartGold, Sigma Σmerald, Platinum, White 2, X, Ultra Sun, Sword.

Additional Rules: - No revives inside battles.
    - No PP stalling by healing all the time.

5. Pokémon White 2 (Challenge Mode) Fighting Monotype update No. 7: Battling the E4 in Challenge Mode!

After defeating Ghetsis, I had to go to Victory Road. On my way there, I got the Waterfall HM, which I used to explore and get a few items. At Route 23, I can catch both Sawk and Throh. I wanted Sawk, and in White 2, it only has a 5% chance of appearing in shaking grass, so yeah, I spent some time there trying to get one. I also caught a Throh, and it was holding a Black Belt! Really good item for this run. Anyways, after a while, I got a lv 51 Sawk, with a Docile Nature, and added it to my team. After all of this, I finally headed to Victory Road.

By the end of Victory Road, I fought my rival once more. I was very weakened, because I forgot to heal. And the battle started badly. His Unfezant survived my Emboar's Wild Charge and beat me with Aerial Ace. I sent Mienshao, who missed Hi Jump Kick as he healed, and then fell to Aerial Ace too. Thankfully, Lucario's Aura Sphere took him down. Bouffalant was easy for Scrafty, 2 Drain Punches and job done. And I had to heal Conkeldurr, but after that a single Ice Punch was enough for beating Simisage. And finally, Samurott was beaten with 2 Aura Spheres from Lucario. My Pokémon survived with 25 HP his Revenge attack.

E4 time. In this game, you decide the order, so I decided to start with Shauntal. Cofagrigus VS Scrafty. 2 Crunches were enough, and her Shadow Ball did almost no damage. Next up was Golurk. She somehow survived the Crunch with almost no HP, and hit me with Brick Break… Luckily, the next damage roll was better, and as she healed my Crunch beat her. She sent Chandelure. She beat Conkeldurr with Psychic, with my Rock Slide, of course, missing. I sent Sawk but she was faster (maybe she has Choice Scarf?), and a single Psychic took my Pokémon down. Lucario beat her with 2 Dark Pulses, while she insisted on Psychic, leaving me with 9 HP. And now I was the lucky one! Dark Pulse made her Drifblim flinch, so I took the chance to beat her. And finally, she sent Banette, which fell to a single Dark Pulse.

I went for Grimsley next. He should be the easiest. Emboar easily beat Liepard, even though he used Attract. Sawk easily stood Krookodile's Earthquake and beat it with Close Combat. Absol and Bisharp were easy with my Scrafty's Drain Punch, and Conkeldurr destroyed the Scrafty with Superpower.

So time for a show between Fighting-types! Marshal was next. My Emboar, with a crit, beat his Throh with 2 Brick Breaks. And battle between Conkeldurrs! Mine did better, as after a Bulk Up I easily survived his Hammer Arm. My Ice Punch did a lot of damage, and he tried using Bulk Up too. But he was weakened, and Superpower took him out! He sent Lucario, and a single Superpower was enough to beat him while he tried using Calm Mind… Next up, Mienshao vs Mienshao. My Hi Jump Kick didn't miss. And to finish the fight, Sawk vs Sawk. Mine was faster, and 2 Brick Breaks were enough!

oK6EReJ.png
    3UIjT5D.png
    zZXs96Y.png

And time to fight Caitlin. Yeah, another E4 member with Psychic Pokémon, like in Platinum… Deja vu! She starts with Musharna. I sent Mienshao, and immediately went for U-turn into Scrafty. She went for Hypnosis, but Shed Skin healed me immediately and Crunch was enough to win. Next up was Reuniclus. I knew she was going for Focus Blast, so I sent Mienshao again as a bait, and U-turned into Scrafty, she used Psychic, and I used Crunch. Reuniclus down! She sent Metagross. It is a very heavy Pokémon, and it survived my Emboar's Heat Charge easily, beating me with a Life Orb- boosted Zen Headbutt. Thankfully, it was weakened, so my Sawk's Close Combat was enough to finish it off. Next up, Sigilyph. She beat my Conkeldurr with a single Psychic, but Lucario outsped and koed her with Dark Pulse. Her final Pokémon was Gothitelle. She went for Calm Mind and Thunderbolt versus Scrafty, and hit me with a crit, leaving Scrafty with 30 HP, but my Crunches ended up winning the fight.

And time to fight Champion Iris. The Haxorus scares me a bit, let's see how it goes. She starts with Hydreigon. My Sawk easily survived her Dragon Pulse and beat her with Close Combat. Druddigon was next. She went for Outrage, but Scrafty with Hi Jump Kick and Drain Punch beat her. Next up was Aggron, who actually helped me heal Scrafty with Drain Punch. Lapras fell to a single Close Combat from Sawk. And now she went for Haxorus so I sent Conkeldurr. She used Dragon Dance and survived my Ice Punch. And now the critical part of the fight, my Conkeldurr survived the Outrage with 12 HP and beat her!!

AU6VPe2.png

Archeops was ridiculously easy for Lucario, as I was faster and she stupidly went for Stone Edge. So I am the champion! Here is the Hall of Fame!!

kZO6fsg.png

Not done yet, though, as I'll go for the post-game routes, and then for the E4 rematches. Wish me luck!

Current Team:

Spoiler:

Number of Badges: 8.

Current Location: Aspertia City.

Number of losses: 1.

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Signing up for another run.

Game(s): Pearl
    Pokémon Type: Psychic

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2024
    Completed the first game to the mono-normal run~

Overall, it was kinda fun using mons that I don't use too often, even though I was a bit limited with what was offered to me.

Bird lv 55
    Wing Attack/Gust/Steel Wing/Featherdance

Alien lv 56
    Fire Blast/Shock Wave/Meteor Mash/Water Pulse

Bird3 lv 56
    Tri Attack/Aerial Ace/Drill Peck/Fly

Kangamomma lv 55
    Bite/Strength/Fake Out/Brick Break

Robot lv 55
    Psychic/Blizzard/Psybeam/Tri Attack

Totoro lv 56
    Earthquake/Body Slam/Rollout/Surf

I kinda flatlined during the first half of the game, when it comes to names. Even the mons in the PC were no better.

zTfVCVz.png

BONUS: While getting Surf and looking for Kangamomma in the Safari Zone, I encountered a shiny Nidoran and caught it. Too bad I couldn't use it.
    XLTFXi7.png

Onwards to the next game!

ShyRayq

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Here's my first update:

-Started with Piplup and raced to Route 203 for an Abra. Caught one after like, 15 attempts, and named him Karkaroff.
    -Then spent like 2 hours switch-grinding it with Piplup because Abra is completely useless without TMs. I didn't want to use Hidden Power, just in case.
    -After traversing through Oreburgh Mine, Karkaroff finally evolved into a Kadabra, and proceeded to destroy everything in his path, including Roark.
    -Used Karkaroff to set the region ablaze all the way up until Eterna City. Went to Route 211 to the East and caught Fairbourne the Meditite.
    -After grinding Fairbourne up to speed, I took on Gardenia. Luckily, Karkaroff was still extremely overpowered, so we got the badge easily.
    -Rushed through the Galactic Building, got the bike and went down Route 206. Took a stop at Wayward Cave to pick up Urquhart the Bronzor.
    -Pretty much just jaunted around the middle part of the region, where at Route 210, Urquhart evolved into a Bronzong. It went from very weak to not as weak.
    -After getting to Veilstone, I hopped down to Route 214 to pick up Vassileva the Girafarig.
    -I then took on Maylene. I wonder who won? A psychic user or a fighting user...
    -I then went down to Pastoria via the Hotel and after a couple of battles, Karkaroff and Fairbourne both reached Lvl37, which meant evolutions into Alakazam and Medicham respectively.
    -With my newfound power, I absolutely obliterated the next 2 gym leaders: Crasher Wake and Fantina.
    -At this point, I'm pretty overlevelled, so there's not much challenge to be had for a while.
    -At least, I thought so, but Byron gave me a bit of trouble since Fairbourne, my only fighting type user, fainted. Urquhart has, like no attacks, and my other team members were pretty frail so I had just push through Byron's steel-type team through luck.
    -Luckily I did, and after that, I finished the Galactic Lake events.
    -I went through Mt. Coronet to get to the snowy routes and traversed my way up to Snowpoint.
    -I saved as I walked into the gym.

Team:
    Karkaroff the Alakazam (M), Lvl47: Psychic, Shock Wave, Disable, Recover
    Fairbourne the Medicham (F), Lvl46: Hi Jump Kick, Ice Punch, Confusion, Strength
    Urquhart the Bronzong (X), Lvl46: Extrasensory, Gyro Ball, Hypnosis, Confuse Ray
    Vassileva the Girafarig (M), Lvl46: Psychic, Stomp, Crunch, Rock Smash

ShyRayq

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Last update for my Pearl Psychic run:

-Basically ran through the game. Got Azelf and a Hypno in the postgame.

Team:
    Karkaroff the Alakazam (M), Lvl62 : Psychic, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Recover
    -Alakazam is just a good pokemon overall. Very solid and very useful on pretty much any team in any game. Not much else to say.
    Fairbourne the Medicham (F), Lvl61 : Hi Jump Kick, Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, Strength
    -Fairbourne as a Meditite was a bit lackluster, but when she evolved into Medicham, she was pretty awesome. Pure Power is such a neat ability, allowing
    her to ram through teams with HiJumpKick and the like.
    Urquhart the Bronzong (X), Lvl62 : Psychic, Iron Head, Earthquake, Hypnosis
    -Very weak as a Bronzor, and as a Bronzong, only okay. Urquhart was mainly there to tank hits and to spam Earthquake. Rarely did I use Hypnosis since I
    didn't really need to.
    Vassileva the Girafarig (M), Lvl62 : Psychic, Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, Rock Smash
    -Girafarig was pretty decent. Was able to KO when necessary. Pretty average.
    Sirius the Azelf (X), Lvl61 : Zen Headbutt, Fire Punch, Facade, Nasty Plot
    -I originally had Psychic which is why I had Nasty Plot, but I switched to a purely physical moveset since Sirius had a higher attack stat. Sirius didn't do as
    well as I thought it would. It sometimes just wouldn't get the KO. Bit disappointing.
    Eastchurch the Hypno (F), Lvl61 : Psychic, Signal Beam, Grass Knot, Hypnosis
    -Eastchurch was pretty average, again. Managed pull KOs when it needed to.

Overall, this team was basically Karkaroff and Fairbourne carrying the team. They were so much better than the rest of them. Sirius was definitely not as good as I was hoping, considering that it is the attacker of the Lake Trio.

On another note:
    I also started another Monotype run:

Game(s): White 2
    Pokémon Type: Electric

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2020
    Forum User Name: Elite4Sage
    Game(s): Emerald, Leafgreen, Platinum, SoulSilver, Black 2, X, Ultra Sun, Shield
    Pokémon Type: Grass

KingsOftheSummit

King of the known land, tactician of war
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Forum User Name: KingsOfTheSummit
    Game(s): Leafgreen
    Pokémon Type: Water

I am actually almost done with this challenge, but I will post an update soon

Last edited:

KingsOftheSummit

King of the known land, tactician of war
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Forum User Name: KingsOfTheSummit
    Game(s): Leafgreen
    Pokémon Type: Water

Pre-E4 update

WATER-TYPE TEAM
    Spoiler:

GYM LEADERS

Spoiler:

It's not clear if I have to beat the E4 to finish the monotype run, but I will do it next.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back