• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Re:Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

squalidLarva

i have terminal 7
Years
  • welp, my 3ds broke, so i guess i'll be out of my Ultra Moon ghost single challence until i inevitably get another one. i was just at the first trial before an unfortunate drop absolutely beaned my top screen. however, i will stay resolute! For now, i will be doing a different single challenge.

Forum User Name: squalidLarva
    Game(s): Black 2
    Pokemon Type: Dark
    Single/Ultimate: Single

there's no need to have me as a single challenger for Ultra Moon, as it will most likely be a long time before i get another 3ds, and i'll just re-apply for it once i do get it. and no, i won't break my DSi, i have a radical NERF case to protect it.

Years
  • Forum User Name: icyblaze89
    Game(s): Red, Blue, Yellow, FR/LG, Emerald
    Pokémon Type: Normal
    Single/Ultimate: Ultimate

Just now, I played FR gaining 2nd badge with my team Windia the Pidgeotto, Rina the Raticate, Jenny the Jigglypuff and Luna the Clefairy.
    I hope to get Meowth real soon in team.

Last edited:
    Years
  • POKEMON FIRERED TEAM NORMAL

Windia the Pidgeotto
    Level: 24
    Nature: Docile
    Ability: Keen Eye
    Moveset: Tackle, Gust, Sand Attack, Quick Attack

Rina the Raticate (Consider switching)
    Level: 22
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Run Away
    Moveset: Tackle, Focus Energy, Quick Attack, Hyper Fang

Jenny the Jigglypuff
    Nature: Gentle
    Ability: Cute Charm
    Moveset: Sing, Rollout, Flash, Mega Punch

Luna the Clefairy
    Nature: Gentle
    Ability: Cute Charm
    Moveset: Shockwave, Mega Kick, Water Pulse, Minimize

Bastet the Meowth
    Level: 25
    Nature: Lonely
    Ability: Pickup
    Moveset: Pay Day, Cut, Faint Attack, Dig

• Update my last game, head over to Vermilion City and made stop at route 5 to catch Meowth.
    • I caught Meowth and named her Bastet.
    • I fought every trainer to get exp for Bastet.
    • Go to heal at Pokemon Center after Bastet fainted on the last trainer.
    • Reach over S.S Anne, and train Bastet inside until lvl 24.
    • Fought Blue and lvl up on Bastet, Luna and Windia.
    • Get HM01, use TM Dig and HM01 on Bastet.
    • Use Bastet to fight in Gym and won against Raichu using Bastet and reach lvl 25.
    • Won a Thunder Badge.
    • Go back to Route 2 to get HM05 and teach on Jenny.
    • Head back to Vermilion and made last save outside Diglett cave.

Last edited:

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • Forum User Name: icyblaze89
    Game(s): Red, Blue, Yellow, FR/LG, Emerald
    Pokémon Type: Normal
    Single/Ultimate: Ultimate.

For future reference, this type of sign up isn't considered for an ultimate challenge, An ultimate challenge requires you to complete the type of your choosing on ONE game from each generation, Totaling 7 Runs.

The OP has been updated to post #43 now.

Years
    • Seen today
    Forum User Name: StenirRPG
    Game(s): Red, Gold, Ruby, Diamond, Black, X, Sun
    Pokémon Type: Bug
    Single/Ultimate: Ultimate

Just over a week ago, I was sick and was letting Youtube wind it's way through video game videos, when one popped up about a Monotype run. I'm not as much into the metagame as I'd like, but I do have a complete Living Dex in my Ultra Moon game. I started playing way back with Blue Version, and have played every game and version since then, at least in the main series. So, what's a guy home sick to do? Start a Bug run on Red Version. Of course, I would have said something here if I had known this existed, but I didn't. So, I'm playing a little bit of catch-up. For me, that's halfway through the Badges in Gen 1.

Here were the quick notes I had jotted down. I didn't start keeping track of my stats until today after beating Erika, so I'll post those at the end.

So, on that day being sick, I picked Bulbasaur so Gary would try to mess me up with him having the Charmander line. I caught a Weedle easily enough, but it took me until 1:36 to finally save after catching a Caterpie. Good lord, Gen 1 encounter rate sucks. I tried fighting Brock as soon as I could, but realized I am so screwed even at level 10. I badly needed Confusion to survive, so I spent another hour leveling. At 2:59, I saved after beating Brock.

The following day, I pushed to get through Mt. Moon after finally catching a Paras. Those things have some attack on them! Once I got through Mt. Moon (where my only trouble was the one grunt with a Raticate), I got to Cerulean and saved.

Then, weekend. Training. Training. Training. I realized I don't have anything really capable of taking down Misty's Starmie. So I did some of Nugget Bridge. As for Gary's Pidgeotto...Paras just used Stun Spore and then Scratch'd it to death. Eventually, my Paras got to 20, learning Leech Life. Good - exactly what I wanted for Starmie. Went after Misty. Took a few turns before Stun Spore worked, but then it was home free. Was a bit scray, as Starmie did get a few shots of Tackle in before it went down, but Leech Life kept me alive.

After that, I was having some RL issues, so I didn't play as much, but I took about three days to grind levels on Paras to make a Parasect, go through the S.S. Anne, and fight Surge. I would have thought Surge would have been harder, but maybe I just got some good luck rolls. I do remember that I started with Butterfree...which was a stupid idea. But, I did have some help by teaching Dig to my Parasect.

Tonight was the fun night - getting through Rock Tunnel without Flash. I eventually had to look up the path online, but that wasn't too bad in the end. For Bug being weak to Rock, my Bug type moves seem to wipe the floor with Geodude and Onix. Tried to make me way south from Lavender town in the hopes of getting a Venonat, but forgot Snorlax is a jerk, so I ended up going over to Celadon. Parasect learned Spore along the way (much better than Stun Spore, honestly), and went from there right into the gym. I know Bug is strong against Grass...but easiest sweep ever. So, now I'm sitting here at 4/8 Badges.

Currently, I'm grinding Butterfree levels to get to 32 for Psybeam. Beedrill is already passed 30, and has Pin Missile. Parasect still technically has Slash left to learn, but that's about 7 or 8 levels away, so no worries there. I think I'm going to give Parasect my Mega Drain TM I just got to replace Leech Life. I still need to find HM Slaves, but I know Pinsir can learn Strength, so that's one I probably won't need to figure out.

Currently below the threshold to post image links, so I've attached an image with my current team.

Attachments

• Pokemon-Bug-01.png
      Pokemon-Bug-01.png
      23.8 KB · Views: 9
    Years
  • Meant to post this a while ago but didn't get to posting it in list form, so here goes!

X Psychic Monotype - Update #5

Spoiler:

The Final Team!

Spoiler:

Playing time: 29:37 - I did do the Looker Bureau, though, and will have that up later.

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2020
    I'm back again to reclaim my old Ultimate Bug Champion position i used to hold years ago back in gen 6.
    I have already played it, finishing Sun just now.

Username: Jespoke
    Game(s): Sun
    Pokémon Type: Bug
    Single/Ultimate: Ultimate (Old gen 6 Ultimate champion)

I placed some extra restrictions on myself:
    - No Exp Share
    - Battle style Set
    - No in-battle Revives
    - Max 1 of each X-item pr battle
    - Max 3 Potions pr battle (Exception made where the Champion fight was allowed 6)

Started the game as Inia, with a water starter, as was my usual.
    Caught two Caterpies and Lediba (Arnold, Frederick and Annette) as soon as possible. They will just be helping with the start of the game.
    Caught a Grubbin, the first pokemon i intend to use the whole game, and named it Gordon.

Turn out Hau gets the starter weak to you, so for this game I'm actually up Bug against Fire.
    Going through Melemele, evolving Frederick twice to Butterfree, to act as a strong backup for the earlygame.
    Getting past Ilima and his Ember Smeargle took the first of only 2 grinding sessions in the whole run.
    Beat Ilima's trial with the help of Mud slap and Butterfree.
    Caught a Cutiefly that i named Florina.
    Cutiefly has a hilariously good matchup against Hala.
    Grand Trials: 1/4

Arrived on Akala Island, and you know what that means! FINALLY THE GOOD APPAREL SHOP!
    Gordon evolved to Charjabug somewhere along the way. It's really carrying.
    Beat Lana's trial pretty smooth, no surprise really with a Charjabug as the party leader.
    Was originally going to just go for Golisopod as my Bug/Water, but with Kiawe's trial up next, i decided to catch a Dewpider that i call Stefan. Originally intended to take over for Butterfree as the backup of the team that wouldn't get active training, but with the power of hindsight i can tell you he stayed a core member to the end.
    Put my focus on getting Stefan ready for Kiawe's trial, letting it use the water Z-move whereever i went. Eventually it evolved to Araquanid.
    Kiawe's trial took me 2 tries, but i clutched it out the second time by sacrificing weak team members to ensure Stefan never had to take Venoshock while poisoned.
    Gladion actually beat me once as i made some bad decisions.
    Made my way along the island to catch a female Whimpod, that i named Caeda.
    (Now you may be wondering why that message was not bold, but...)
    Im not fussy with natures, but she was -Atk +Sp Def, definitely not what i want on what was one day supposed to be my Ace. And you get one Whimpod pr day. So it was waiting or...
    ... So i went to the daycare to breed myself a better Whimpod!
    After Est, Donnel, and Norrin, i finally hatched Edward, the Whimpod with a +Attack nature
    I arrived at Lana's trial, which proved itself a lot harder than i expected. Lurantis was tough, but the Castform it tended to summon was an even bigger problem.
    Made my way through Digglet's Tunnel to ~~A new Apparel shop~~ the battle against Olivia. This was a nasty one, as i only had one Water-Z-move to work with, and Araquanid is still weak to Rock. The strategy ended up hinging on switching to Arnold the lv 3 Caterpie to take the Continental Crush, and it looked hilarious on every attempt.
    Grand Trials: 2/4

Arrived on Ula'ula Island. The beginning portion here is nothing special. I did realize that Whimpod is basically a Magikarp that does a little bit more, but has to train to 30 instead of 20. It suuuuuuuucks.
    Caught an Ariados that i named Arione, that i wasn't going to train, but it got to contribute here and there for the rest of Ula'ula.
    Got to Sophoclies' trial, and realized i was in a bit of a bind here. My best party member at this point was Araquanid, a water type, Cutiefly, who was a little underleveled and as such not evolved yet, and Chargabug, who had an all too even matchup coming up. X-items were the crux here.
    Florina finally evolved to Ribombee.
    Guzma didn't use First Impression, making the fight a lot easier than i was bracing for.
    Edward evolved to Golisopod. Finally, he was suddenly good!
    Challenged Acerola's trial with not one move in my now vast (by Bug standards) movepool that could do much to Mimikyu. I paralyzed it, twice because it has a Lum Berry(!!!), then threw everything and the kitchen sink at removing the Haunters it kept summoning, and chipped it down.
    Caught a Ledain that i named Bors. He set up Reflect a few times. And he sometimes survived hits on the switch to use Potions on my main team with only 1 sacrifice instead of 2.
    Made my way through Po Town, taking down Guzma without too much trouble again.
    A Dark type kahuna sounds like a cakewalk for a Bug team, and Nanu was not that difficult, but keep in mind his 3 pokemon team contains 2 Power Gems.
    Grand Trials: 3/4

Aether Paradise happened. Guzma actually got me on my last legs this time, and the first Lusamine fight was the 2nd hardest in the game. Ribombee had one of her big highlights in this fight, using x-items and a potion to take the 1v1 versus her Clefable that i had no answers for.

Arrived on Poni Island. Cutscenes! Cutscenes!
    Fought Hapu. A fairly normal fight for once.
    Grand Trial: 4/4
    Finally Vast Poni Canyon, for Gordon to evolve into Vikavolt!
    The Dragon Trial bows before my little Florina. Well, she got swatted, but the damage was done, it was cleanup time.
    Nebby's big moment!
    "Y'all are stupid!" - Guzma 2016
    Lusamine 2 was actually pretty easy. Her Pokemon are obsessed with using nothing but Pain Split, in what feels like a creepy moment of gameplay-story integration.
    Story stuff: Complete

Gladion put up quite a fight, but i won with just Golisopod left.
    Hau put up quite a fight, but i won with just Golisopod left.
    Emergency Exit is such a curse at times.
    Elite 4 time! I got through each within a handful of tries, except for Kukui at the end, who was heads and shoulders above the rest, and was not a fight i was ever going to win with these rules at those levels. So the 2nd big grind took place, 3 more partial runs of the E4 for levels, and then the final one where Kukui took... around 10 tries somewhere.
    Hala:
    The easiest fight for obvious reasons. Ribombee with an X Defend especially. I did have to watch out for that Crabominable could still 1-shot +2 Defense Rimbomee from full with Ice Hammer. During the grind she reached lv 50 and learned Quiver Dance, which made the fight that much even easier.
    Acerola:
    She was SO ANNOYING. My best damage tool was Golisopod with Sucker Punch, and that Z-moved, but she kept using Confuse Ray at inopportune times, and getting Ominous Wind boosts on her final pokemon and such!
    Kahili:
    This fight hinged hard on Vikavolt. If i played my cards right it could actually take out the first 3 on its own, but the last 2 outsped and 1 shot (Or 1-Emergency Exit :() most of my team, so i was relying on Sucker Punch, potions, and sometimes as a last resort, Orocoio's love for using Feather Dance and Teeter Dance.
    Olivia:
    The weakness to rock was one i could never cover, so this was a fight with everything i had, including my old staple the Water-Z-move, First Impression+Emergency Exit+Potions strats, and the return of the old strat of switching a weak team member, this time Arione, into Continental Crush.
    Kukui:
    The biggest problem of the run by far. And the biggest problem of the biggest problem: His lead, Lycanroc with Stealth Rock and Stone Edge. On my initial tries, having it use Stealth Rock at all was an instant loss for me. If i had grinded another few rounds i would have reached the point where Golisopod's First Impression with Silverpowder would 1-shot it, but i somehow managed a win without that. Next was Braviary that was a lot less of a problem than it seemed because of its love for using Tailwind and Whirlwind. Not to say it wasn't still a huge problem. Decidueye was not easy to deal with for many of my Pokemon, but i got it down with just some of my valuable Golisopod HP. Magnezone was the big thorn towards the end. It could 1-shot Araquanid and Ribombee, and it didn't just knock Golisopod to Emergency Exit, but 1-shot it outright. I ended up having to use X Sp Def and X Sp Atk boosted Vikavolt with at least 2 potions even with no Mirror Coats to even hope to beat it. This pokemon that drove me to add an exception for the champion fight to allow more potions, not for itself per se as the fact there are still 2 pokemon left after it. Alolan Ninetales and Snorlax. The HP i had left on Vikavolt and Golisopod and another Potion let me break through Ninetales, and with just Golisopod with Brick Break and my 5th potion of the fight left i powered through Snorlax to end it, finally.

ALOLA: COMPLETE!
    ULTIMATE BUG CHAMPION TITLE: RETAKEN!

Final Team (Main):

Edward, the lv 61 Golisopod
    golisopod.jpg

Moves: First Impression, Sucker Punch, Liquidation, Brick Break
    Standouts: Raw physical damage, physical defense, Hit->Emergency Exit->Potion->Repeat tactics, Priority moves
    "The undisputed MVP of the second half of the run, and especially the E4. He hit SO hard, and gained SUCH longevity in fights thanks to Arione and Bors sacrificing themselves to heal him after Emergency Exits."

Stefan, the lv 48 Araquanid
    araquanid.jpg

Moves: Liquidation, Lunge, Crunch, Ice Beam
    Standouts: Hydro Vortex, Fire resistance from Water Bubble
    "Originally a temp for the Kiawe trial, he turned into my main Z-move user for most of the run, and 2nd best of the team throughout the middle of the game, first under Chargabug and then under Golisopod. Not very useful for the very end, but he was still a very valued member of the team."

Gordon, the lv 54 Vikavolt
    vikavolt.jpg

Moves: Thunderbolt, Air Slash, Thunder Wave, Volt Switch.
    Standouts: Early-midgame power, eviolite tank, flying/electric answer
    "It can't be overstated how much of the first half of the game laid on this guy's shoulders. The moves above don't really sell what he was most of the game. It was Mud slap, Bite, Spark, Thunder Wave, Crunch, Acrobatics that he really used to make his contributions. And they kept on coming, he was not even really fallen off by the time i got to Poni island and evolved into a special nuke."

Florina, the lv 51 Ribombee
    ribombee.jpg

Moves: Dazzling Gleam, Pollen Puff, Stun Spore, Quiver Dance
    Standouts: Sp Def + Struggle Bug, Beating fighting- and dragon-types very hard.
    "She was oh so frail. And her poor coverage was always a problem. But in the situations where she could use resistances, X Defense, or the Sp Atk lowering from Struggle Bug to survive, she could face difficult fights like Totem Mimikyu and Lusamine's Clefable, and various other special attackers that gave Golisopod problems."

The background crew:

Frederick, the lv 15 Butterfree
    "His stats at 15 were still up to snuff when 5 levels behind, and was a key player in every major fight on Melemele."

Arione, the lv 28 Ariados
    "He actually made contributions a number of times throughout Akala, with Poison Jab, Sucker Punch, Smart Strike and even Psychic. He entered the Hall of Fame as one half of the 'Sacrifice for Potions' duo"

Bors, the lv 34 Ledian
    "He used Reflect a few times. His biggest contributions were actually from surviving Fighting/Grass/Ground moves on the switch where he was a sacrifice, allowing for a free potion use. He entered the Hall of Fame as the second half of the 'Sacrifice for Potions' duo"

SilverLeafeon75

Type diversity? What type diversity?
    Years
  • Pokemon Platinum Electric Monotype Update #1

For starters, this is done on an Emulator, for ease of grinding, and 2, it has been patched to exclude trade evos I would otherwise be unable to obtain.

I chose the female, because wynaut? and named myself Volta

For my starter, since I'm a glutton for punishment, I chose Piplup, named it Pengu, so my rival has Torterra

Get through early game shizzle, catch a Shinx, name it Lyon (yes, I know its a Lynx, just roll with it) and grind.

Not much until jubilife, where Shinx and I lose to the rival, so more grinding

FInally beat the rival, continued to leech as much XP as possible.

Lyon evolve into Luxio, I tackled the gym, failed, leveled up until bite, went again, tried a few times for good RNG and won.

Coal badge get!

Team:
    Lyon(Luxio)-Gentle
    -Return
    -Leer
    -Bite
    -Spark

Years
    • Seen today
    Update on my Gen 1/Red/Bug run.

Got all the way through Celadon's events and Saffron's events over the last few days. My Parasect is basically running the show here, even without Mega Drain. Picked up Badge #5 from Sabrina. Obviously, that didn't take too long, even hitting every trainer battle in there. The run up Silph Co, however, took forever. Not because it was hard - I just wanted to ensure I fought everything...and Rocket grunts have way too many Zubat/Golbat. Moveset hasn't changed too much since then, except that by the time I reached my rival FIRE, Parasect swapped Scratch out for Slash. Took two tries to beat him, but that second time was much smoother. Giovanni was a pushover.

I was running a team of three until I went after Saffron, at which point I basically got a Snorlax out of the way and went after a Venonat. Made that into a Venomoth asap by training just north of Vermillion so I could run back into Saffron when ready. When I did face Sabrina, it was a little weak still, only having Leech Life. Part of me thinks I should add Mega Drain to the Venomoth instead of to my Parasect. Yes, it won't trigger STAB, but I think the survivability is much higher.

With my next location being Fuschia City, I knew I was going to get the last of my team from the Safari Zone. I avoided every trainer on the way down Cycling Road (I'll swing back around for them later) and go after my Scyther. First one that shows up is mine and I wait around for a Doduo so I can use Fly. [I did get that Lapras for Surf and Strength from Silph Co.]

My next goal is to get everyone to 45 by doing some grinding on wild mons. Scyther, being new, has some work to go.

My team at their current (pre-training) levels:
    Scyther/Sp00py
    :L 23 / HP 71 / Atk 56 / Def 48 / Spd 53 / Spe 30
    Quick Attack / Leer / Focus Energy

Butterfree/Currie
    :L 37 / HP 110 / Atk 57 / Def 54 / Spd 75 / Spe 76
    Confusion / Psychic / Stun Spore / Psybeam

Venomoth/Raid
    :L 37 / HP 107 / Atk 70 / Def 62 / Spd 83 / Spe 86
    Tackle / Disable / Stun Spore / Leech Life

Beedrill/Harry
    :L 39 / HP 117 / Atk 87 / Def 47 / Spd 79 / Spe 58
    Rage / Twineedle / Pin Missile / Cut

Parasect/Francizz
    :L 44 / HP 122 / Atk 110 / Def 97 / Spd 50 / Spe 93
    Slash / Spore / Leech Life / Dig

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2021
    Forum User Name: Grumeaux
    Game(s): White
    Pokémon Type: Grass
    Single/Ultimate: Single

I took too many time deciding the game/type but i went with the difficulty (with moderation tho) and let's see how it's going to work out

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Good luck, Grumeaux!

As an update for my run - I spent about 45 minutes grinding a little to the south of Saffron but mostly to the west of Celadon. Once I got Scyther up to having Slash, I went after all of the trainers on Cycling Road to level it up further. That got it up to level 36 or 37, and I decided to go after Koga and the sixth badge.

Oh dear, why did I think the poison-type gym leader would have trainers only using poison mons?

I basically ended up doing one of two things in this gym: 1) if a psychic type trainer, use Scyther; 2) if a poison type trainer, use Butterfree. Butterfree was just spamming Psychic moves (seriously, why isn't it Bug/Psychic?). With Scyther, I basically spammed 3 uses of Double Team, then either used Slash or Quick Attack. Barely got hit at all. When I went up against Koga, I went ahead and used Scyther, and used Double Team until it maxed out, then spammed Slash/Quick Attack as needed (I chose not to use Swords Dance). I did get hit once and was poisoned during the fight, but hey, not bad.

And that makes 6 badges. Unfortunately, I'm fearing resorting to the Double Team setup for Scyther for Blaine, getting backed up by Parasect firing off Dig.

So, here's my new plan for before the next update:
    - Go get TM 20 on Route 15 and teach Scyther Rage (getting rid of Quick Attack).
    - Fly to Viridian, deposit Doduo. Hop on passed out Lapras and paddle my way to Cinnabar.
    - Get Badge #7 and move on to fighting Giovanni.

I'm planning to update again before starting the Viridan Gym. Attached is the current set-up of my team. Yay.

Attachments

• Gen 1 - 01 - After Gym 6.png
      Gen 1 - 01 - After Gym 6.png
      36.5 KB · Views: 12

Pebblycone

Little Monster ♥
    Years
  • Previously, on The Journey of Pebbly the Bug Catcher!:
    Spoiler:
    Yes! I'm still playing. I haven't updated in a while because I started a new job over a month ago and I've been a bit busy. I have made a little bit of progress since last update, I can't believe how quickly some people get through these challenges! I must take too much time doing stuff :confused: Anyway, onto the update!

The Journey continues...
    Norman
    Spoiler:

Winona
    Spoiler:

Tate and Liza
    Spoiler:

Currently I am training up my Pokemon a bit, thanks to the abundance of trainers on the water routes surrounding Sootopolis city. Hopefully I have some time to make quick work of the rest of this game, and it won't be too long until the next update. I'll try to make my next update the last one!

Current Team:
    Spoiler:

Gym Leaders Defeated:
    Spr_RS_Roxanne.png
    |
    Spr_RS_Brawly.png
    |
    Spr_RS_Wattson.png
    |
    Spr_RS_Flannery.png
    |
    Spr_RS_Norman.png
    |
    Spr_RS_Winona.png
    |
    Spr_RS_Tate_and_Liza.png

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2021
    The adventure of Sylvain the Gardener I
    Spoiler:

My team
    Spoiler:

Now i'm going to edit this message to try and see what is the best presentation!

Last edited:
    Years
  • It has begun! Janna was called over to Professor Elm's laboratory and given a choice of a first Pokémon. She happily picked Totodile, who she nicknamed Marianne, and continued to Mr. Pokémon's house on Elm's instruction. After being gifted with the Pokédex from Professor Oak and being nudged by Elm, she decided to take on the league challenge.

The path to Violet City wasn't a long one, but trainers were adamant about stopping her along the way. They proved no match for Marianne, though! After several Rages and Scratches, she and her trusty partner made it to the town of the first gym leader. From there, rather than immediately taking on the gym after healing her party, Janna decided to examine the route east of Violet once more, hoping to pick up her second team member. And on the very first encounter....Poliwag! She wasted no time catching this cutie. It was female, so she decided to name it Lysithea.

Unfortunately Lysithia was only lv. 4, and knew only Bubble. We wouldn't have the best time going to Sprout Tower with these two, she thought, so she proceeded to train on the routes both west and east of Violet. After raising Lysithea to lv. 12 and learning Hypnosis, she decided to tackle the first gym. Falkner did not pose much difficulty thanks to her training. Although she was hoping to take out his Pidgeotto with Lysithea's Hypnosis + Bubble combination, it ended up waking up and fainting the poor little Poliwag. Thus, Marianne finished the job and got all the exp. But it's okay! There are still many trainers and wild Pokémon where that came from.

The team:

158.gif

Marianne ♀ Lv. 13
    Scratch, Leer, Rage, Water Gun

60.gif

Lysithea ♀ Lv. 12
    Bubble, Hypnosis​

Determined, Janna pushed forward.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    (Edit: Sorry that my "bug catcher" legs are in the photos below - we were at a pool for my daughter's swimming lessons and I didn't have anywhere else to set the 3DS while I snapped photos.)

Well...Here's the update for me.

I went in and had a stupidly easy time running against Blaine. All the Psychic powers and Dig made it almost too easy. I wanted to see how far I could push myself, so I went after Giovanni and managed to pull that off as well. I was surprised that those were as easy to get through. Didn't really do any sort of leveling, but that would come back to bite me in the butt. But that was all 8 badges.

Got through my rival fight on second attempt. Stupid Char- family line. That will become my most used comment this afternoon.

Quickly went through Victory Road with the plan of getting to the Elite Four and figuring out whether I needed to actually do some leveling after the fact. Fairly straight-forward Victory Road.

Then I get to the Elite Four. And Lorelai is such a stupid tank. Her Dewgong ticked me off every run. I took about 5 tries before getting past it, only to eventually get through everything and then be faced with her Lapras. After getting past that, I managed to very quickly make it through Bruno and Agatha, and then even took Lance down on my first try. I was cheesing it with having Parasect use Spore, then switching to Scyther and going to +6 Evasion from Double Team and +6 Attack from Swords Dance, and then using Rage. I ended up fighting my rival about 20 times, continually failing when I reached Charizard. Even with Fire Blast being 85% accurate and having +6 Evasion, those kept getting through somehow.

So, I gave up and grinded for a bit. Gained about 5 levels on my Scyther from that point, knowing I was probably going to have to resort to Double Team/Swords Dance and pray RNG let me survive. By this time, I had also grinded my Parasect up to early 50s, so I was able to use that to get through the first half of my rival's team. I did end up giving it Mega Drain, which was helpful against the stupid Rhydon that shows up. Previously, I had been using Slash from Scyther to kill things as fast as possible, but then I'd run out of PP before reaching Charizard. Rage, however, was not going to cut it against Charizard, so I pulled out some PP Up and used it on Slash, then also grabbed a couple Ethers that I had to recharge it before the battle.

For four hours this afternoon, I tried to pull this off. Most times, I would either have Spore's sleep wear off too soon and would die, forcing a reset. Eventually, I got some really good luck. Got through the first three, then fired off Spore. It hit and I went to work. I knew I needed to be faster than Charizard, so I decided I needed to get +6 Evasion, +6 Attack, and then also use 6 X Speed to get that up as well. I managed to pull it off, though a few Barrage moves got through. Healed up from those and finished getting everything ready.

Gyarados just sucks. Hydro Pump is my biggest threat before Charizard, because it can do INSANE damage to my Scyther if it connects. I did get hit once, going down to like 20 or 30 HP, and then moved on, finishing it without Hyper Beam or Hydro Pump connecting again. So, here I am with a +6 Evasion, +6 Attack, +6 Speed Scyther with about 10 Slashes. From previous experience, I knew I was doing enough damage that I only needed three hits to win, meaning I needed to survive two attacks. First attack - he tried Fire Spin. That things pisses me off for however many turns it decides to go before it fizzles out. It missed. Fire Spin, if it connects, does about 35% of my health (non-crit). One turn down, one to go. I see the dreaded words: "Fire Blast". Then I press A and see the game telling me it missed. I told my wife - who does play Pokemon but thinks I'm crazy for having tried even one generation of this - and she's like "Okay, so?" I clicked Slash, and it was done.

I'd won.

That was ridiculously satisfying to watch as a Parasect and Scyther basically swept the entire Elite Four (well...Butterfree and sometimes Venomoth cleaned up Bruno and Agatha most runs). I was so worried I was going to have to grind more.

What I do know, however, is that I need to actually work on planning a run better. Thankfully, I have six more generations to do it in. Mark me down for Gen 1 Bug Complete! Time to plan Gen 2.

Attachments

• Currie.jpg
      Currie.jpg
      96.7 KB · Views: 10
    • Francizz.jpg
      Francizz.jpg
      102 KB · Views: 8
    • Harry.jpg
      Harry.jpg
      93.3 KB · Views: 4
    • Raid.jpg
      Raid.jpg
      96.2 KB · Views: 4
    • SpOOpy.jpg
      SpOOpy.jpg
      103.9 KB · Views: 2
    • YAY END SAVE.jpg
      YAY END SAVE.jpg
      112.3 KB · Views: 6
    Last edited:
    Years
  • After defeating Falkner, Janna was eager to add a third member to her team. She explored south of Violet in anticipation until she encountered Wooper. It seemed equally happy to see her! She was able to lower its HP with the help of Lysithea's Bubble, and proceeded to chuck a Poké Ball. Wooper must have really wanted to join her on her adventure, since the capture was successful on the first throw. Nicknaming him Claude, she put him on the first slot of her party, hoping to get him caught up with the rest of the team.

...Alas, that proved to be a challenge. Claude was only a frail lv. 4 Wooper, after all, and didn't take hits very well. Janna decided to do some switching to help him grow, and limit his battles to Pokémon she thought he could handle. We had the Dark Cave coming up, after all, and he could gain a lot of experience on the rock and ground types there.

The rocky path was a breeze for her and her water types. She decided to stick around and train for a bit before moving on to help Kurt get rid of some familiar-looking intruders in the Slowpoke Well. Afterwards, she promptly moved on to the second gym, eager to earn her next badge. Fortunately, both the trainers and gym leader couldn't counter her Hypnosis + Water Gun combo.

Healing her team after a good battle, she continued west.....only to be stopped by her rival. The battle against his evolved starter was incredibly tough, and only on her fourth or fifth attempt did she finally manage to keep it sleeping long enough to succeed.

The team:

60.gif

Lysithea ♀ Lv. 20
    Bubble, Hypnosis, Water Gun, Doubleslap

159.gif

Marianne ♀ Lv. 20
    Scratch, Leer, Rage, Water Gun

194.gif

Claude ♂ Lv. 18
    Water Gun, Tail Whip, Slam​

Now she presses forward on her journey.

Last edited: