• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge v8, Tera Edition

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2024
    Ultimate Ice Run
    Sun / FINAL / The Rest of the Game

In this post (i.e., TL;DR)
    Spoiler:

The full read:
    Spoiler:

Team Stats:
    Spoiler:

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen yesterday
    Update on Pokémon Sapphire Ice Monotype Challenge:

I did it! It's like an elephant's off my back!

Spoiler:

I don't feel like doing a full spreadsheet of stats, but here's the movesets:

Spoiler:

Well, that concludes my fourth run for Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire. I'll continue the Water monotype run over time, and I'll probably continue the "game mastery" challenge with a Fighting-type run of Ruby in a few months.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
    Pokemon Sapphire Cross (Standard Mode)
    Mono-Water - Fisher Marina
    Update 1 (Route 101 -> Rustboro Gym)

I've had enough time on my phone playthrough of Sapphire to make it to the first gym. Like I said when I started it, this is going to be a lot slower than my standard playthroughs since I only play it when I'm away from home and I'm waiting for something. I caught a Mudkip early on, and then a Wingull and Lotad to give myself a party of three. Lotad was a little hard to level up because its starting moves are really weak, but it got a little easier once I got the Bullet Seed TM. Roxanne was quite easy given my type advantage, though.

Team

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2024
    Ultimate Ice Run
    Y / #1 / Six Badges and a Snag

Spoiler:

The full read:
    Spoiler:

Team Stats:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2024
    Ultimate Ice Run
    Y / Final / The End of Glass

Spoiler:

The full read:
    Spoiler:

Team Stats:
    Spoiler:

User: StenirRPG
    Type: Electric
    Game(s): Red, Gold, Sapphire, Brilliant Diamond, Black, Y, Sun
    Challenge Type: Ultimate
    Standard Mode / Free Mode: Standard

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
    Pokemon FireRed+ (Standard Mode)
    Mono-Normal - Lass Nora
    Update 9 (Postgame)

I took a break from grinding levels in my event challenge to finally finish the postgame of my mono-Normal FireRed run. Apart from changing two Returns to Body Slams at the move tutor, the only Pokemon on my team that I changed the moveset of is Clefable, and even then only before facing Bruno in the League Rematches, though I changed a few held items. Paradoxically, even with a bigger level disadvantage, I had a much easier time here than in my original challenge, though this is by no means the biggest level disparity I've overcome, not by a long shot.

Lorelei Rematch: Like last time, Clefable swept through Lorelei's whole team after setting up a bunch of Cosmic Powers.

Bruno Rematch: First off, I used my TMs to switch out my Clefable's Thunderbolt and Ice Beam for Psychic and Reflect. Then, after setting up 6x Cosmic Power and Reflect, she took down his first Steelix with a critical Flamethrower and then easily beat the rest of his team. Bruno's worse movesets made this rematch way easier than last time, even with the increased level gap.

Agatha Rematch: I had Snorlax use Belly Drum and 1HKO her whole team, healing when necessary.

Lance Rematch: Before the battle, I re-taught Thunderbolt and Ice Beam to Clefable, getting rid of Psychic and Flamethrower. I had Clefable get into a Cosmic Power vs. Dragon Dance buff race, which she won, and Thunderbolted Lance's first Gyarados. He sent out Kingdra, which got a critical and fainted Clefable with Surf. I sent out Snorlax, used Belly Drum, and then 1HKOed the rest of Lance's team, healing as necessary.

Blue Rematch: I started by setting up Reflect against Heracross, but it got a critical Megahorn and fainted Clefable early, so I sent out Raticate, paralyzed it, used a Max Revive on Clefable, and used two Super Fangs to weaken it while I waited for it to faint Raticate. Then I tried setting up again, got critted, but on the third time I successfully maxed out Clefable's defenses, and dumped a bunch of X Specials and X Speeds onto her for good measure. I then 1HKOed or 2HKOed Blue's whole team.

Final Team Review:

Raticate was an excellent Pokemon in the early game, and Super Fang and Thunder Wave gave him a great gimmick to stay relevant in the late-game. If Raticate couldn't KO something, it very well would make my next Pokemon easily take it down on the next turn.

Wigglytuff really shone in the midgame, with excellent coverage moves and decent special attack. Her lack of decent self-buff moves hurt her later on, though, but she was still relevant up until right before the League Rematches, where her only role was to stand still while I revived Clefable.

Clefable was easily the team's MVP, with much-needed decent Special Attack and Cosmic Power to boost defenses to nigh-invincible levels if given time to set up. She pretty much soloed most of the League Rematches, and was excellent pretty much from the moment she first evolved.

Snorlax was amazingly bulky at the start of the battle, though not as bulky as Clefable once she set up Cosmic Power, and his bulk actually made Belly Drum not only usable, but practical. There were many battles where he was able to use Belly Drum, then 1HKO whole teams, and I often didn't even need to heal him right after because of his high HP and his Leftovers. A shame it took me until after the seventh gym to get it, though.

Kangaskhan was a pretty good physical sweeper, but my team didn't particularly need more physical sweepers. Still, she had a good niche as my only female physical sweeper, since many of the harder battles in this game used all-male teams and Attract could hit any of them.

Finally, Tauros was... not that great. Intimidate was a wonderful ability, but I didn't need yet another physical sweeper, especially one with this bad a movepool. Still, his high speed was useful, and I could put Toxic on him without wasting a moveslot because he really had nothing else useful available.

Team

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen yesterday
    Well, apparently I have a job interview lined up. If I get the job I won't be able to start the YouTube channel any time soon, and I've officially made the decision not to start the channel in September as planned. "Reg, what the [[GIRATINA]] are you talking about? What does this mean for this thread?" I will probably work on scripts now, so I can start the YouTube channel in about a year. Maybe I'll start scripting the fifth monotype challenge in my series as I'm doing it. That said, I don't know when I'll continue my Game Mastery Run of Ruby/Sapphire. There's a lot of moving parts to this, so I don't know. I guess I'll see how busy I am at the job first.

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2024
    Ultimate Electric Run
    Red / First and Final / Shocking, Isn't It

Spoiler:

The full read:
    Spoiler:

Team Stats:
    Spoiler:

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm trying to get back into the swing of things with the FRLG Water monotype challenge. I continued on from defeating Misty, and I beat everyone east of Vermillion, but ... Oh, dear, the game crashed right after Magikarp reached Level 20. I'm not redoing that grinding any time soon; that was brutal. I don't know what to do.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen yesterday
    Pokemon Leaf Green: Water Monotype update:

"Too Long? Didn't read?" version:

Spoiler:

Full Version:

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2024
    Ultimate Electric Run
    Gold / FIRST AND FINAL / Johto OHKO

Spoiler:

The full read:
    Spoiler:

Team Stats:
    Spoiler:

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen yesterday
    Pokémon Leaf Green: Water Monotype Challenge Update!

This update's pretty short, so there won't be a TLDR version.

Spoiler:

EDIT: I forgot to mention something.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2024
    Ultimate Electric Run
    Sapphire / #1 / Water, Water Everywhere

Spoiler:

The full read:
    Spoiler:

Team Stats:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2024
    Ultimate Electric Run
    Sapphire / FINAL / Struggles

Spoiler:

The full read:
    Spoiler:

Team Stats:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2024
    Ultimate Electric Run
    Brilliant Diamond / FINAL / Nothing Like Being Grounded

Spoiler:

The full read:
    Spoiler:

Team Stats:
    Spoiler:

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen yesterday
    Pokémon Leaf Green Water Monotype Challenge Update

It's been a while, hasn't it? Well, I started playing this little game called Earthbound, and I wasn't diggin' it. Then I got past the Peaceful Rest Valley, and it got really good! I played it quite a bit. Other stuff happened since then, including a family emergency, which I don't want to talk about. (Nobody died, but it was a scary deal.) I've been whittling away at Gym No. 5 lately, and I finished that today.

Spoiler:

Well, I guess I'll see you guys in another eight years. Talk to you then.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
    Pokemon Emerald Cross (Standard Mode)
    Mono-Grass - Cool Trainer Leif
    Update 1 (Route 101 -> Rustboro Gym)

Now that I'm finally done with the GT2023 challenge, I have time for my next monotype, a mono-Grass run of Emerald. The QOL hack I'm playing this time is Emerald Cross, but I have most of the settings as vanilla as possible, meaning that the only relevant differences are that I don't need to teach HM moves to Pokemon, that I can delete HM moves without the Move Deleter, and that I can reuse TMs. I also have Badge Boosts turned off, which will make the late-game slightly harder. (I can also theoretically get a Roselia somewhere, I think, but I don't want to use it.) The hack has an option to add the Physical-Special Split, but I specifically set that option to "off" because I want to experience the Gen 3 battle mechanics exactly how they were balanced in the original games.

I started out with Treecko, caught a Lotad in Route 102 before fighting any trainers, then spent around an hour trying to catch a Seedot with Chlorophyll. The 1% encounter rate is really annoying, and the first three all had Early Bird, but the Chlorophyll Shiftry from my mono-Dark run of XD was so useful that I want to use it again in this run.

Afterwards, I went to Petalburg Woods, caught a Shroomish, trained it up, then went to the Gym Leader. Shroomish single-handedly defeated Roxanne. Bullet Seed 1HKOed both her Geodude. Against Nosepass, I had him use Stun Spore and Leech Seed on the first and second turns, then just spammed Bullet Seed until I won the battle. It wasn't close, Leech Seed made it so that Shroomish had only a single point of damage at the end of the battle, mainly because Roxanne wasted most of her turns on Harden, which was completely useless since my team all hits her with Special attacks.

EDIT: Fixed Seedot's gender. She was incorrectly listed as male when I posted this.

Team

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen yesterday
    Oh, hey, the boss man is active again!

Do I get the bronze "Hall of Fame" badge after I complete the water monotype challenge of FRLG? I know the Flying-, Psychic-, and Ice-type challenges were part of the game mastery challenge, but I would like to know when I'll get that badge. I tried asking some moderators in the "challenges discussion" thread, but I didn't get an answer.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
    Oh, hey, the boss man is active again!

Do I get the bronze "Hall of Fame" badge after I complete the water monotype challenge of FRLG? I know the Flying-, Psychic-, and Ice-type challenges were part of the game mastery challenge, but I would like to know when I'll get that badge. I tried asking some moderators in the "challenges discussion" thread, but I didn't get an answer.

Ask them again. The badges for this subforum are only handed out by Eleanor and JanP, and I don't have the power to do it. They're both Europeans, so if you asked today they may have not seen it yet because of time zone stuff. Also, if you haven't, you should probably post your completed challenges here, too, so the mods can keep track easier. Especially if you've completed any challenges other than Monotypes.

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2024
    Ultimate Electric Run
    Black / FINAL / All New Mons - And I Gotta Stop Single Entries At Some Point

Spoiler:

The full read:
    Spoiler:

Team Stats:
    Spoiler:

Back