• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge v8, Tera Edition

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    This update's pretty short, but I got the third gym badge in the Psychic-type run of Pokémon Sapphire Version.

Spoiler:

Now I gotta find a way to trade evolve Kadabra.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    I got a little crazy one day and played the game for five hours or probably longer. Here's the update.

In this post, I collected gym badges 4 through 6.

Full Story:
    Spoiler:

Infer12

Darkness Incarnate
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Pokémon Diamond (Standard Mode)
    Mono-Flying
    Update 3 (Canalave City -> Pokemon League)

- Defeated Saturn & Mars at the lakes
    - Went through Mt. Coronet to Snowpoint City

Gym Leader Candice:
    Spoiler:

- Found a dusk stone at Galactic HQ and evolved Murkrow into Honchkrow
    - Went to Spear Pillar and defeated Cyrus

Gym Leader Volkner:
    Spoiler:

- Caught Mantyke (& Remoraid to evolve it) at Sunnyshore City
    - Mantyke evolved into Mantine
    - Bred it with Golduck for one with a Calm nature & Water Absorb
    - Cleared Victory Road

- Defeated Aaron with Honchkrow & Gyarados
    - Defeated Bertha with Mantine & Gyarados
    - Defeated Flint with Drifblim & Staraptor
    - Defeated Lucian with Honchkrow & Staraptor

Champion Cynthia:
    Spoiler:

Hall of Fame:
    Spoiler:

Infer12

Darkness Incarnate
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I want to change some of the games for my type challenge (I can play the same game more than once, right?)

Black 2 (Ice), Platinum (Poison), Leafgreen (Water), White 2 (Dark)

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    Update: I finished all the gyms in my Psychic monotype challenge.

Spoiler:

My team:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen today
    Ultimate Ice Run
    Silver / #1 / Why Does Gen 2 Hate Stones

In this post (i.e., TL;DR)
    Spoiler:

The full read:
    Spoiler:

Team Stats:
    Spoiler:

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    I was about to break down and ask you if you'd had time to anything done for Pokémon Silver when I saw this post. Good gracious, that current moveset fills me with dread!

I might take a short break for a couple of days. I've had fun, but I fully expect to do grinding to level 50 again. I'm just not mentally prepared for all the grinding on Victory Road again, and it's mostly because of Whirlwind, Roar, and Protect.

In the future, I probably should share movesets and stats in update posts. I was planning to do that after the Elite Four for the current Psychic-type run. However, since Gen 3 has abilities and natures (in addition to held items returning from Gen II), I wasn't sure how to fit them all in one screen shot. I was thinking I'd have to share two screen shots, but the solution seems so obvious now. I just have to make a second table below the first one in the same Microsoft Excel worksheet. It would look nicer if it was all one table, but it'd be too wide to display it all on my laptop's screen.

Years
    • Seen today
    You could always do a table that has the first column be the headers, and each Pokemon has their own column. That might be better, depending on what all you want to share data-wise. I mainly share it just to show progression, rather than as any actual tracking. Mine is a google sheet that I just update manually - though I did program it to color-code the moves based on their type as of Gen 9. That would have been a pain trying to color the cells every time it adjusts.

My mom's been here for the weekend, so while I'm playing host I haven't had much time. Besides, with that moveset, who'd want to spend more than an hour at a time.

As to the moveset itself, I could teach some moves from TMs, but I have sort of put myself into a mode where I hold off on using TMs until the Elite Four unless there's a scenario that basically demands it - such as teaching Mud-Slap to Swinub. In later Gens, when TMs become reusable, it's a little different of a mindset. What sucks so far is that I can't teach Dig to even Piloswine. Would have been so useful. Makes me almost want to make a new challenge where you poll the userbase for 4 additional TMs, and then you adjust a Pokemon to allow those moves...just to see the hilarity of it all. "Scyther used Dig" would be great. But, of course, that's getting close to just having everything know Metronome.

Days
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I've done several monotype runs by now but didn't think to check official rules. Oh well, at least they were fun.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    You could always do a table that has the first column be the headers, and each Pokemon has their own column. That might be better, depending on what all you want to share data-wise. I mainly share it just to show progression, rather than as any actual tracking. Mine is a google sheet that I just update manually - though I did program it to color-code the moves based on their type as of Gen 9. That would have been a pain trying to color the cells every time it adjusts.

Warning: Nerdy stuff about graphs in spoilers are abound.

Spoiler:

Attachments

• PKMN Saph Psychic Monotype 2023 May 15.png
      PKMN Saph Psychic Monotype 2023 May 15.png
      39.6 KB · Views: 7
    Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    User: Phoenix_Left
    Type: Grass
    Game(s): Leaf Green (I'd like to continue grass monotyping other games but this is all I'll commit to so far)
    Challenge Type: Single, Standard

I'm sure a grass run of Leaf Green isn't the most original idea in the world, but I've been sick to death of nuzlockes lately and this sounds like a nice change of pace.

Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023

🍃 A LeafGreen Grass Monotype 🍃
    Or: How I Learned to Stop Strategizing and Love Sleep Powder
    Part 1

As the title hopefully gets across, this is a playthrough of Pokémon LeafGreen using only grass-type Pokémon. In addition, I'll be imposing a few additional rules to keep things challenging but not too challenging. Those are:
    • Set mode is always on.
    • No items can be used in battle.
    • Our Pokémon's levels must remain no higher than that of the next gym leader's highest level Pokémon.

We'll try to come up with strategies to win fights without anyone fainting where we can, but if you've ever seen the movepools that these grass-types get, then you'll know that we'll have to make concessions towards the endgame. One more thing - I wouldn't call this a story-heavy run, but it will be kind of prose-heavy and in-character and kind of campy, so I hope y'all enjoy that! With all of that said,

Let your adventure begin!.png

Spoiler:

This was pretty experimental for me, but it's been pretty fun to write (even if it's really cheesy). I hope someone enjoyed it anyways! ☺️

Last edited:

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    Psychic monotype update plus general update:

I'm really getting tired of grinding for the Elite Four every time I do this challenge, so I will be taking an extended break from monotype challenges after the Ice-type run. I have a blast through most of the run, and then I have to grind five to ten levels per Pokémon (except my main party member, such as Gardevoir in my current Psychic-type run). I saved all (most?) of my 12 Rare Candies including some I got from Zigzagoon's Pickup ability*, but it's still really obnoxious.

* For anyone new, Zigzagoon's Pickup ability outside of normal monotype routes, and it's busted in the original Ruby/Sapphire.

@ Phoneix_Left I really liked the narration. Giving Basil the Bulbasaur and Rue the Paras their own personalities is a nice touch.

Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023

Part 2

Thanks for the kind words @ Reginald Cosmic !

From here on, I'll be putting a team update at the beginning and end of updates, mostly so that you don't have to remember who's who. For now, we've only got:
    Basil (Ivysaur) - Level 20
    Rue (Paras) - Level 20​

Now that we've beaten Misty, our level cap is higher, meaning our first order of business is-

Spoiler:

That took awhile for just one badge, though I think the next ones will go somewhat quicker. Here's a team update to close things out!
    Basil (Ivysaur) - Level 24
    Rue (Parasect) - Level 25
    Turmeric (Weepinbell) - Level 24
    Fennel (Gloom) - Level 24

Years
    • Seen today
    Ultimate Ice Run
    Silver / #2 / My Shell-der nothing on my team

In this post (i.e., TL;DR)
    Spoiler:

The full read:

Spoiler:

Team Stats:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen today
    Warning: Nerdy stuff about graphs in spoilers are abound.

Spoiler:

If you are direct typing in, you could always abbreviate Hidden Power to HP. Like HP/Dragon 70 or something, to lessen it. The thing I'm using is built in Google Sheets, as I do with a lot of what I've built. The color coded required a dump of the move names and their types onto a second tab, having it lookup the name to find the type, and then saying "if the result is Ice, color it using this hex code". It's nice. I think as long as you are consistent in your own approach, we'll get used to reading them. I don't think anyone really requires us to go to these lengths, but it's nice to see progress throughout. Sort of a badge of pride to say "yep, those were my stats that I was stuck with".

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    Oh, shoot, you're already done with Gen II?! I'd better hurry and beat the Psychic-type run! [Flintstones car driving off sound effect]

Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023

Part 3

It's at this point that I realize just how dire the gen 3 level-up movepools truly are, especially for Grass-types. As such, I'm going to start breeding for egg moves from now on, though only ones that I can obtain in-game under the current level cap.

At least, that's what I was going to say, but as it turns out the Cerulean City daycare only lets you raise a single Pokémon, with breeding locked to the postgame. I can only assume this is exclusively to prevent you from obtaining the Johto babies before you get the national dex, since these games are on a weirdly-serious crusade against seeing any non-Kanto Pokémon before the credits roll. I was gonna give some big speech about how I'm not really throwing away my friends but instead allowing their seeds to propagate across the region to perpetuate the cycles of nature, but I guess there's no need now... It's a real shame: Turmeric and Fennel could have gotten Razor Leaf, and Rue could learn Psybeam at a later level cap.

: (

Spoiler:

We didn't add any new team members, but we have evolved some.

Basil (Ivysaur) - Level 29
    Rue (Parasect) - Level 29
    Turmeric (Victreebel) - Level 29
    Fennel (Vileplume) - Level 29​

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    I used all my rare candies, and I'm going to battle the Elite Four tonight. Sidney might actually end up being tougher than Drake this time around.

I included the team's stats in a spoiler because I'm worried it'll stretch out the webpage or something. I'm not really sure.

Spoiler:

Some things to note:

* I found another PP Up on Victory Road

* I think I said 12 rare candies earlier, but it's actually 13. I think I found one on Victory Road, but I can't remember, and I don't feel like looking at the footage right now.

* Leonardo the Girafarig just learned Crunch thanks to a rare candy. It'll be very useful against Phoebe's ghost-types (since Girafarig is immune to ghost-type attacks).

* I deleted HM move Rock Smash from Girafarig and HM move Flash from Medicham. I then retaught Calm Mind with the TM (though I could've gone to the move relearner with my last heart scale).

* Speaking of the move relearner, I taught Medicham "Thunder Punch" and Alakazam "Reflect" (I had to make room for Shockwave and Hidden Power on Alakazam earlier in the playthrough.)

Back