• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxeneize

fire master
    Years
    Finished bug on red. Moving on to Crystal

Spoiler:

MachoPony

Resident Brony
    Years
    Platinum Firemono Update
    after VS seekering that one chick with roselia and combee about 50 times i got ponyta and monferno to level 30.

VS Fantina (Take 5)
    Duskull wasnt much of a problem for monferno, flame wheel 2HKO
    Haunter was a clean OHKO but did dent me with shadow claw.
    then came mismagius, i kept in monferno, miraculously lived a psybeam and took her to her sitrus berry with flame wheel before dieing, ponyta hit flame wheel took a shadow ball, hit flame wheel again as she healed and then one final flame wheel critical hit ended the battle. Seriously she's harder now than when she was 10 levels higher in D/P

Current Team
    Spoiler:

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2020
    Update #2: Normal - X
    Wow it's been a while. I forgot to update after the fourth gym, so I'll probably do a detailed update after I've defeated the sixth gym. It's been a bit slow, but I'll finish it eventually (even though Omega Ruby will take a lot of my time in a few weeks).

Link4799

Gage Linkous
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2016
    Username: link4799
    Single challenge
    Dark type monorun
    Pokemon Emerald!!
    This is my first real thing on pokecommunity ever so I can't wait :)

Link4799

Gage Linkous
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2016
    Heya, just posting an update. Furthered along into dewford, about to brawl with Brawly. Im noy gonna rehash emeralds story, we all know it or get the gist of it. I started off catching a buttload of poochyenas, and luckily found a seedot. Grinded them all up. Nuzleafs Bullet Seed wrecked Roxanne xD and after reaching Dewford, i picked up a sableye, which will be so helpful because A) he has no weaknesses, and B) he can dodge fighting especially, and for a mono dark run, Im gonna need it.

I was gonna post a screenshot of my kickass team but my phone is a moron sometimes. Yeah, I'm a phone emulator guy don't judge xD

As of now, I got 4 lvl 14 poochyenas, a lvl 15 sableye, and a lvl 16 nuzleaf.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    I really need to get going on this, ORAS comes out in 11 days:

7th Update, Water Challenge, Ruby:
    -Began the long trek to Lilycove City. IDK why the routes leading to and from Fortree are long. Then again, a lot of the routes in Hoenn are kinda long.

-Mudkipz evolved into Swampert

-Arrived in Lilycove City

-Gave Brendan and his not fully evolved starter a beatdown. Don't block the way to the department store, boy. Still don't get why they never have to fight May/Brendan with them having a fully evolved starter.

-Went on over to Mt.Pyre to get the Red Orb

-Chased after Team Magma to Slateport, watching them make off with the submarine. Who the **** lets someone steal their submarine though? Shouldn't that have better security or something? It's also slightly amusing how Maxie says "All that effort you spent following me here all the way from Mt. Pyre"; dude, I used Fly, took like 2 seconds.

-Followed Team Magma to their oh-so-well-hidden base outside of Lilycove, kicked ass, and got the Master Ball.

-And then since you can't pursue Team Magma until you get Dive, I headed east to Mossdeep City.

-Took a detour to Shoal Cave, and caught my final party member, a male Spheal named Christos.

-I was planning on just taking on the Gym real quick, but I decided not to and ran about town for a bit. Good thing I did too, almost coulda missed the Super Rod and the Dive HM.

-Mossdeep City gym challenge: Nibbles sweeps ****ing everything. Except Tate and Liza. I was actually a bit surprised when their Solrock and Lunatone didn't fold to a Surf. Still pretty easy though. Too bad Wallace's gym probably won't be that easy.

Badges:
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

Team:
    The Monotype Challenge
    Mudkipz
    The Monotype Challenge
    Trumpets
    The Monotype Challenge
    Lord Jelly
    The Monotype Challenge
    Nibbles
    The Monotype Challenge
    Mr.Slave
    The Monotype Challenge
    Christos

Bowlstir

Media Arts and Game Development
    Years
    Here is my only and final update: Pokemon Red - Poison

I started this adventure a couple years ago, and just finally got around to finishing it.

I'm playing on a 'lameboy' emulator on my original R4 card.

Difficulty: 9.5/10

I'd say it's one of the hardest types to do on the originals, but I managed somehow to defeat my Rival.

The Team:
    The Monotype Challenge
    Lord Lv:48
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Blast
    -Strength
    -Surf

The Monotype Challenge
    Lady Lv:39
    -Body Slam
    -Bubblebeam
    -Thunderbolt
    -Blizzard

The Monotype Challenge
    Assassin Lv: 47
    -Bite
    -Skull Bash
    -Fissure
    -Dig

The Monotype Challenge
    Guardian Lv: 40
    -Mega Drain
    -Poisonpowder
    -Solarbeam
    -Sleep Powder

The Monotype Challenge
    Lookout Lv:36
    -Psywave
    -Confuse Ray
    -Night Shade
    -Hypnosis

The Monotype Challenge
    Archer Lv: 33
    -Bite
    -Confuse Ray
    -Take Down
    -Wing Attack

This playthrough was a super tough expierence, but a great one at that.

I plan on doing another in Pokemon Gold and then work my way up the generations.

Keep adventuring,

Bowlstir

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2015
    I'm gonna see how far I can get on pokemon blue. So starting with normal.

Forum User Name: Trebly
    Pokémon Type: Normal
    Challenge Type: Single
    Game(s): Blue

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
    Just saw that I did a Fire Monotype on Red, so I'd like to continue that (Can you change "GucciMeme" to "Someday" on the Champion/Challenger list? That'd be great.)

Username: Someday
    Type: Fire
    Challenge Type: Ultimate(?), might do more later
    Game(s): Gold, Emerald

Link4799

Gage Linkous
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2016
    Just tiny update so you know I'm still progressing. Currently strolling back towards the magma hideout. Now I got a full loadout of a bunch of different dark types. Currently I got a Mightyena, Sableye, Sharpedo (who I've never actually used before and always wanted to) crawdaunt(also never used) absol and nuzleaf

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2015
    Forum User Name: TheSpud
    Pokémon Type: Fighting
    Challenge Type: Ultimate
    Game(s): Yellow, Gold, Emerald, Platinum, Black, X

And because I have terrible, awful ideas, gens 3-5 are basically completely blind.

Link4799

Gage Linkous
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2016
    Woo first ever pokechallenge complete! Crawdaunt just obliterated the "Elite" Four lol i taught him Brick Break, and he naturally learns Swords Dance and Crabhammer. Brick Break obliterated everything Sydney and the Ice lady had, and the Crabhammer killed all the ghost lady's Pokemon. And a mix of Crawdaunts Dragon type Hidden Power and Sharpedos Blizzard beat Lance easy. And Wallace, that was a mix of Crawdaunt, Sableye's Shock Wave, and Absol's Sword Dances and Aerial Aces.

This was a great first challenge i loved it, I could hardly put the game down! I think next I might try the fav team swap meet challenge >;)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    8th Update, Water Challenge, Ruby:
    -Now that I'm able to Dive, I set sail to the area where the seafloor cavern resides....after getting a bit lost and running into Sootopolis first

-Entered the underwater cavern, swatted Team Magma members aside, and made my way to Groudon's chamber. IDK if it's because I've done this so many times or what, but I thought this place was bigger and more maze-like. Guess not.

-Christos evolved into Sealeo

-Defeated Maxie for the final time. Then he went through with his clearly well-thought out plan to control Groudon with the Blue Orb. Then **** goes wrong.

-After Archie and Maxie say their final pieces, they depart, and then Steven flies in to say his bit (I wish I could Fly to any spot on the map....well, we might be able to do that in ORAS now). So I make my way to Sootopolis City.

-Since everyone else seems incapable of fixing any problem that occurs in the Pokemon world, it was, once again, up to me to save the world from imminent destruction. I entered the Cave of Origin and made my way to the lowest level. Dunno why they make it a cave that needs Flash, but the layout is really simple so I could navigate without it. Also picked up the Waterfall HM.

-Said hello to Groudon, then Master Ball'd the mofo.

-Sootopolis Gym challenge: Water vs Water! The regular trainers were easy enough (is it sad that I basically remember how the ice puzzle goes?). Wallace wasn't so easy. His Wishcash was obnoxiously bulky and could hit kinda hard, and his ****ing Seaking hit twice in a row with Horn Drill. But I still proved to be the better Water type trainer, taking down his Milotic with Lord Jelly's Toxic.

I CAN DO PICTURES NOW:

Badges:

The Monotype Challenge

Team:

The Monotype Challenge

Not the best picture quality, but hey.

Last edited:

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
    I had some time the past couple of days and finished this Challenge with Gold! It took some grinding to get to a suitable level for Red, but Toxic and other setup moves made the task easier.

Glencross the Typhlosion was (fittingly) my team's captain, with Giordano the Arcanine and Wideman the Flareon as my "alternates". I couldn't write a big update because now I have some stuff to do. Fun times, excited for Emerald.

Final photos here: https://imgur.com/a/IiJKT

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2015
    Alright, so first update of my Normal challenge! I started off taking Charmander, and quickly caught a Spearow and Rattata to begin my journey. After levelling them up a good amount, I finally felt ready to take on Brock, only to realize that I couldn't do any damage on his Onix. So after much more battling, I was finally able to get my desired result:
    The Monotype Challenge

Next up was Misty, who went down pretty easily. Both Raticate and Fearow are already firing on all cylinders:
    The Monotype Challenge

After catching a Meowth who I plan to train later, Surge and Erika then quickly met a similar demise
    The Monotype Challenge

The Monotype Challenge

The current team after taking out Team Rocket in the game corner:
    :t022: Level 39
    Peck
    Mirror Move
    Drill Peck
    Fury Attack

:t020: Level 41
    Bubblebeam
    Dig
    Quick Attack
    Hyper Fang

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
    You're not gonna believe this, but I'm forced to withdraw from my Emerald Fire Monotype because my Key Items got accidentally deleted. I still have my Pokemon and until I find a solution, I can't finish this one.

Very sorry.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Wanted to get this done on the 20th, but losing to Steven that day made me put it off till now. Would write stuff, but I don't feel like that today, so have some pictures instead.

Final Update, Water Challenge, Ruby:

-Ran and surfed around Hoenn trying to grind some more levels before setting off to Victory Road
    -Explored the Abandoned Ship
    -Made my way through Victory Road. Half of it was in the dark because you need Flash for half of it and **** using Flash.
    -Defeated Wally at the end of Victory Road
    -Tried to do some grinding because I'm always so underleveled when I get to the E4 and there's this stupidly large level jump at the end of the game (thank Arceus for Rare Candies)
    -Christos evolved into Walrein
    -Elite 4 challenge:

Sidney:
    Spoiler:

Phoebe:
    Spoiler:

Glacia:
    Spoiler:

Drake:

Totally forgot to take a picture of that one, but you can imagine Christos sweeping his 4x Ice weak ass.

Steven:
    Spoiler:

His Cradily took forever to kill. 2 Full Restores.

Hall of Fame pic:
    Spoiler:

And now for the detailed team info:

Spoiler:

And there you have it, my 3rd monotype challenge is complete! We'll see when I do the next one.

Last edited:

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
    New game, new monotype, right?

Started a fighting monotype on OmegaRuby and got as far as beating Brawly. I actually got further than that but lost an hour of game time when my cart popped out accidentally because I nearly dropped my DS and started fumbling it. Oops. Le team consists of Shroomish, Combusken, and Makuhita (which lost 10 levels. Annoying).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back