• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Completed my electric mono on FR Omega- and let me just say that Ampharos was annoying. Very annoying.

Vs. Champion [Take number 3 I think]: Vs Bob

Final Team:
    125.gif

Blitz|Male|Bold Nature|Static|Lvl 71
    Volt Tackle
    Psychic
    Ice Punch
    Fire Punch
    I loved his diversed moveset - especially when he learnt Psychic - it was so helpful against all the fighting types I faced.

135.gif

Spencer|Male|Hardy Nature|Volt Absorb|Lvl 72
    Dig
    Double Kick
    Thunder
    Bite
    I loved using Jolteon - but he took about forever to learn thunder D: It was so hard to train him up with Pin Missile, Bite and Double Kick as his only useful moves+ none of them being a stab

310.gif

Bolt|Male|Impish Nature|Lightningrod|Lvl 70|@BlackGlasses
    Spark
    Bite
    Thunder
    Charge
    I rarely use manectric simply because of it's limited moveset - sadly this time it was no different - he was just there most of the time - others did work so much better than him so sorry Bolt :/

181.gif

Cleopatra|Female|Brave Nature|Static|Lvl 70|@Quick Claw
    Fire Punch
    Strength
    Thunderbolt
    Thunder
    She was the second pokemon that I caught so she was awesome addition to the team - but she was so slow - before she could hit anything it would destroy her in most cases which was so annoying - and quick claw never came through for me either so it was sad to see all the wasted potential D:

082.gif

Magnet|Genderless|Calm Nature|Magnet Pull|Lvl 70
    Zap Cannon
    Spark
    Lock-On
    Tri Attack
    The latest addition to the team - I was hoping that he'd get any good steel type attacks but nope.. Zap cannon combined with Lock-On was ok though..

171.gif

Lumiouse|Male|Relaxed Nature|Volt Absorb|Lvl 70
    Surf
    Thunder
    Rain Dance
    Blizzard
    My favourite team member - Just because of his type. I love his type and I love the way that he could eat up anything his opponents dished out at him.

Last edited:

Zaphkiel

~ Butter Knife ~
    Years
  • Forum User Name: Zaphkiel
    Pokémon Type: Rock
    Challenge Mode: Single
    Game(s): FireRed

Changed mah' mind. sorry.
    Here's another SU!
    Forum User Name: Zaphkiel
    Pokémon Type: Water
    Game(s): Emerald

Last edited:
    Years
  • Pokemon Blue Water Monotype Update!
    -Defeated TR in Celedon City and Lavender Town
    -Fidgeted around and caught a Slowpoke (Slacker) and got the 2 Safari Zone related HMs
    -Leveled up my team, evolving both Mikey and Slacker before defeating Erika and Koga
    -Going to revive my fossil before continuing main story

Team
    Slacker, Lv38 Slowbro
    Vee, Lv37 Vaporeon
    Mikey, Lv37 Blastoise
    Sushi, Lv37 Gyrados
    CUT, the Bellsprout

Sylvie18

Stray Cat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 1, 2015
    Ultimate fire monotype challenge:
    Leaf Green, Soul Silver, Omega ruby, PLatinum 1/8, Black 0/8, X 8/8

X update #4:
    Badges:
    50px-Bug_Badge.png
    50px-Cliff_Badge.png
    50px-Rumble_Badge.png
    50px-Plant_Badge.png
    50px-Voltage_Badge.png
    50px-Fairy_Badge.png
    50px-Psychic_Badge.png
    50px-Iceberg_Badge.png

Team:
    Spoiler:

Progress:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Pokemon Black Water Monotype Update!
    -Got the fossil and revived Tirtouga. Named him Donny
    -While I was training my team to get the levels fairly even, they caught pokerus! Had Patrat catch it and stuffed it in the PC while it was still contagus for later.
    -Made my way through Chargestone cave easily.
    -Beat Skyla in Mastralton with only Donny.
    -Ended up back tracking to get a Frillish. Named the male I caught Davey.
    -After training Davey, I went to the Icirrus gym and mainly solo'ed with Donny. After he learnt Shell Smash, he's a real beast.
    -Made my way through Dragonspiral Tower, swatting Team Plasma out the way like flies and saw N fly off with Zekrom.
    -Heading for Relic Castle now.
    -------------------
    TEAM
    Nina@BrightPowder, Lv41 Swanna F rash: Water Pulse, Fly, Tailwind, Roost
    Davey@Mystic Water, Lv42 Jellicent M naive: Night Shade, Ominous Wind, Recover, Brine
    Donny@Rockey Helmet, Lv42 Carracosta mild: Aqua Jet, Smack Down, Crunch, Shell Smash
    Rocket, Lv42 Simipour calm: Scald, Grass Knot, Acrobatics, Recycle
    Suigetsu@Scope Lens, Lv42 Samurott rash: Retaliate, X-Scissor, Razor Shell, Focus Energy
    Kero@Quick Claw, Lv41 Seismitoad docile: Flail, Bulldoze, Surf, Aqua Ring

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 21, 2017
    Update #9: Poison team - Pokemon X

I have no idea where the update involving my battle against Wulfric has gone (I normally keep a running track on Word but couldn't find it anywhere), but to summarise, I beat him quite easily and have made my way to Victory Road.
    I've swapped Oomukade out for Hemlock, and evolved Akhlys into Gengar with the help of Synthet (thanks again, dude).

Spoiler:

Current team:
    452.png

Lv. 59 Drapion (Scorpius)
    Male
    Nature: Serious
    Ability: Sniper
    Night Slash, Cross Poison, Toxic Spikes, Earthquake

094.png

Lv. 58 Gengar (Akhlys)
    Female
    Nature: Hardy
    Ability: Levitate
    Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Hex, Dark Pulse

toxicroak.png

Lv. 60 Toxicroak (Heqet)
    Female
    Nature: Naive
    Ability: Dry Skin
    Sucker Punch, Mud Bomb, Poison Jab, Revenge

skuntank.png

Lv. 61 Skuntank (Rafflesia)
    Male
    Nature: Naughty
    Ability: Aftermath
    Flamethrower, Toxic, Screech, Night Slash

Spr_4p_407_f.png

Lv. 61 Roserade (Hemlock)
    Female
    Nature: Bashful
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Energy Ball, Dazzling Gleam, Water Sport, Toxic

073.png

Lv. 58 Tentacruel (Thetis)
    Female
    Nature: Impish
    Ability: Clear Body
    Sludge Wave, Toxic Spikes, Barrier, Surf

Edited in later to avoid double posting:

Update #10: Poison team - Pokemon X

Feral takes on the Elite Four!

I enter the Ironworks Chamber with the intention of getting my most dreaded leg of this challenge out of the way first.
    Normally I'd open with Thetis, who'd lay Toxic Spikes and spam Barrier, giving her the most defensive capabilities in my team overall. But my normal tactic won't work against these pesky Steel types. As a result I'm forced to open with Scorpius who has the highest natural defense of my team and will therefore be the most likely to survive any surprise Earthquakes they may have.
    Key players here are gonna be Scorpius with his naturally high defense and access to Earthquake, Heqet with access to Mud Bomb and Revenge, and Rafflesia who - with a handy access to Flamethrower - is perhaps the only one capable of landing a status effect. Akhlys may be able to land a paralysis status with Thunderbolt and will be immune to Earthquake, but has paper thin defense so will only be used if I'm certain the opponent doesn't have something crazy like Stone Edge (which, along with Psychic, has been Akhlys' bane so far).

Feral vs Wikstrom!
    Spoiler:

I revive Rafflesia and heal up everyone. I swap Thetis around to be first in the party.
    Next I enter the Blazing Chamber. I hate Malva's bad attitude so it's time to knock her down a peg.

Feral vs Malva!
    Spoiler:

Heal up Thetis who's on just under half health and carry on out.
    A little disappointed that I didn't think to throw Hemlock out at some point. I was saving Water Sport for this battle. Oh well. I take this chance to go over it with something more useful. Attract will do for now.
    I enter the Flood Chamber. I'm a little more confident about my chances against this guy than the Dragon trainer, so we'll see how it goes.
    The plan is that after my normal opening with Thetis, Hemlock (with Energy Ball and Dazzling Gleam in her arsenal) will make short work of both trainers. The only difference is that I also have Akhlys' Thunderbolt as back-up against this guy.
    As a side-note, this is my favourite room in the Kalos Elite Four. I think it's so pretty.
    BACK TO BATTLING!

Feral vs Siebold!
    Spoiler:

Heal everyone up and use an Elixir on poor Thetis.
    One room left before the Champion and it's the Dragonmark Chamber.
    Hemlock is my best bet here, but we'll open with the normal Barrier/Toxic Spikes spam.
    Also I love this woman. She's just so friendly and lovely. :3

Feral vs Drasna!
    Spoiler:

That was surprisingly difficult and she's done serious damage to everyone other than Akhlys.
    This does not bode well for my battle against the Champion...
    Heal everyone up and use Ethers where needed.
    Enter the Radiant Chamber.
    IT'S DIANTHA! Who would have guessed!
    No but all joking aside I can't remember what she has other than Gardevoir so this is a little worrying for me as Psychic seems to mess up most of my team something rotten, and Fairy moves do a surprising amount of damage to the Dark/Poison members of my team...
    I seem to remember her having an Aurorous which is also worrying as I remember Grant's Amaura nearly wiping my team.

Feral vs Champion Diantha!
    Spoiler:

Feral is the new Kalos Champion!
    Congratulations Thetis, Akhlys, Heqet, Rafflesia, Hemlock, and Scorpius!
    A special congratulations to certain other Pokemon that couldn't join us:
    Philokleon (Beedrill), for being the first official member of this team and soloing the first gym!
    Lamia (Swalot), for tanking like a pro, carrying me through half the game, and surprising me with a Pokemon I didn't know I'd love!
    Oomukade (Scolipede), just for being Scolipede and being a fast and fairly tanky carry!
    And last but not least, Camazotz (Crobat), for flying me from place to place, sweeping team after team, and generally being a powerhouse! (Also for his cute little bat feet!)

And so we return to Lumiose City to party.
    And here comes AZ to crash the party.

Feral vs AZ!
    Spoiler:

So concludes this Poison monotype run of X!
    Next up I'll be doing a Dragon type run on Alpha Sapphire, trading in a Bagon to start my next adventure with. :3

Final team:
    073.png

Lv. 61 Tentacruel (Thetis)
    Female
    Nature: Impish
    Ability: Clear Body
    Sludge Wave, Toxic Spikes, Barrier, Surf

094.png

Lv. 61 Gengar (Akhlys)
    Female
    Nature: Hardy
    Ability: Levitate
    Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Hex, Dark Pulse

toxicroak.png

Lv. 62 Toxicroak (Heqet)
    Female
    Nature: Naive
    Ability: Dry Skin
    Sucker Punch, Mud Bomb, Poison Jab, Revenge

skuntank.png

Lv. 64 Skuntank (Rafflesia)
    Male
    Nature: Naughty
    Ability: Aftermath
    Flamethrower, Toxic, Screech, Night Slash

Spr_4p_407_f.png

Lv. 63 Roserade (Hemlock)
    Female
    Nature: Bashful
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Energy Ball, Dazzling Gleam, Attact, Toxic

452.png

Lv. 62 Drapion (Scorpius)
    Male
    Nature: Serious
    Ability: Sniper
    Night Slash, Cross Poison, Toxic Spikes, Earthquake

Last edited:

Relica

Worst Player Ever
    Years
  • Well, I'm not dead yet. I've just been distracted from doing a monotype challenge for a little while now. I'm halfway through Heart Gold right now. Onward mighty fighting type army! Red's head on a stick is my final "gold"!

Spoiler:

Also should I go back for Tyrogue? I'll leave it to whoever replies to this post if I do or not.

I also realized now I misspelled Primape's name after like five hours @_@

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 21, 2017
    Also should I go back for Tyrogue? I'll leave it to whoever replies to this post if I do or not.

I think you should. =)
    It's entirely up to you but assuming you can get Hitmonchan, it's got a nice range of different type attacks (in your Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, etc). Hitmonchan's my favourite of Tyrogue's evolutions and it's what I normally aim to get, so I'm not sure about the type coverage that the other two provide. But I think Hitmonlee has good type coverage, too?
    Don't hold me to that.
    Either way I think it's a good shout if you're looking for something to help against any pesky Flying types.

Sylvie18

Stray Cat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 1, 2015
    Yet another game to cross off my list!
    Ultimate Fire montype challenge:
    Leaf Green, Soul Silver, Omega Ruby, Platinum 3/8, Black 0/8,Pokemon X

X final update:
    before the E4 for a break from my grind i visited the move deleter and reminders
    - okiura forgot cut and remembered future sight
    - Lance forgot rock smash and remembered Thunder fang (which i was elated to find out)
    did another small grind.
    E4
    Wikstrom:
    Always went for him first, as aside from probopass hes probably the easiest one for my team to handle.
    Spoiler:

Siebold:
    i really really hated fighting this guy. it took me atleast 3 defeats at his hands to get some form of battle plan against his gyarados
    Spoiler:

Malva:
    Spoiler:

Drasna:
    Spoiler:

The champion:
    Spoiler:

Became the champion.
    AZ:
    Spoiler:

AZ was..actually annoyingly easy
    Final Team:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Forum name: gabethegreen
    Challenge setting: ultimate
    Games: lg/hg/s/pr/b2/x
    Type: rock

I will start soon and try to update as much as possible
    This will be my first challenge since joining and i wont allow it to be a failure
    Rock is my favorite overall type and i know it wont fail me now

Relica

Worst Player Ever
    Years
  • I think you should. =)
    It's entirely up to you but assuming you can get Hitmonchan, it's got a nice range of different type attacks (in your Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, etc). Hitmonchan's my favourite of Tyrogue's evolutions and it's what I normally aim to get, so I'm not sure about the type coverage that the other two provide. But I think Hitmonlee has good type coverage, too?
    Don't hold me to that.
    Either way I think it's a good shout if you're looking for something to help against any pesky Flying types.

Hehe...well, I read this way too late. Ever get into a mood where you just want to finish something? Yeah...
    Spoiler:

The dream is real, Heart Gold is over. Here I come Black.

Edit: The dream is REALLY real, what the hell Black.
    Spoiler:

Not that I'm complaining....

Edit, Edit: I DIDDDDD ITTTTT

Who needs sleep when you have Pokemons....yeah I'm gonna nap now. To Y!
    Spoiler:

That was a lot of fun. I'm not really looking forward to Y though. I know my selection is technically bigger, but, I just don't like the region at all. Bleh. Oh well, it'll have to do.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Ok i have started

Im past brock and made it to mt moon and caught my first member

A lvl7 female geodude named roxanne
    This marks the true start my journey. I headed back a fought all the trainers i skipped in my haste.
    Now im in front of mt moon my first major obstacle and my first stepping stone in my journey through all regions with my chosen type

Current team

Roxanne lvl 15 female geodude

Note: misty have mercy DX

edit: i lost the file so i have to start again XD

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2022
    So I've got this 'old' save file on my Soul Silver that was a monotype attempt that I got a little bored with, but am now itching to finish (I think I'm just going for the 8th badge in Johto). Will that count as a challenge within the constraints of this thread if I go ahead and finish it up?

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2020
    So I've got this 'old' save file on my Soul Silver that was a monotype attempt that I got a little bored with, but am now itching to finish (I think I'm just going for the 8th badge in Johto). Will that count as a challenge within the constraints of this thread if I go ahead and finish it up?
    Yeah it should be ok, if you make sure you follow the rules specified in the first post. It doesn't really matter when you started it, as long as the entire challenge follows the rules :) Though you can always go for freeplay mode too.

Update #4: Bug - Fire Red

So this ones finally done. Because I had trouble with Gary's Charizard every time I had to battle him, I took my precautions and trained my team to level 63. It's a bit high, but it was the exact level his Charizard would be. In the end I got lucky and my Scyther got a Swords Dance up and got a Critical Hit Wing Attack on that Charizard. This was a really fun monotype to do and I was surprised by how good the bug types ultimately were. I thought they'd only be good around 4th gen, because that's when the physical-special split happens and when a lot of (good) new moves were introduced.

Screens:
    Spoiler:

Team:
    12.png

Bugsy the Quirky Butterfree (M) @ Lv.64
    Ability: Compoundeyes
    Shadow Ball, Aerial Ace, Silver Wind, Psychic
    15.png

Buzz Buzz the Relaxed Beedrill (F) @ Lv.63
    Ability: Swarm
    Poison Sting, Twineedle, Pursuit, Return
    47.png

Goomba the Adamant Parasect (M) @ Lv.63
    Ability: Effect Spore
    Slash, Thief, Dig, Giga Drain
    49.png

Verona the Mild Venomoth (F) @ Lv.63
    Ability: Shield Dust
    Giga Drain, Secret Power, Psychic, Toxic
    123.png

Shingo the Docile Scyther (M) @ Lv.65
    Ability: Swarm
    Steel Wing, Swords Dance, Slash, Wing Attack

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2022
    Yeah all the rules have been / are being kept. So here's my sign up!

Forum User Name: MrNeutrino
    Pokémon Type: Flying
    Challenge Mode: Single (for now, might try for Ultimate at a later point)
    Game: Soul Silver

And my current progress!

Badges: 7
    Team:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 21, 2017
    Forum User Name: FeralSlaaneshi
    Pokémon Type: Dragon
    Game(s): Alpha Sapphire

As there's no Dragons (or anything that turns into a Dragon later on, as Mega Sceptile doesn't count) before 2nd gym, I'll be trading in a Bagon as my starter.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    Mono-Electric Black 2 Update

Spoiler:

In the meantime I decided to do a Normal monotype on my new Omega Ruby, mostly for fond memories of an Exploud I used in a randomised Nuzlocke and because my usual trainer name for Normal monotypes is Norma.

Forum User Name: Cymry
    Pokémon Type: Normal
    Game: Omega Ruby

First update: Just after defeating Watson

Spoiler:

Zaphkiel

~ Butter Knife ~
    Years
  • I finally started!

UPDATE #1
    Spoiler:

MY POKEMON
    Kipler the Marshtomp | Male | @Lv30 | Torrent
    Tackle|Water Gun|Mud Shot|Growl

Tadler the Lombre | Female | @Lv28 | Swift Swim
    Astonish|Fury Swipes|Absorb|Nature Power

Karpler the Gyarados | Female | @Lv27 | Intimidate
    Splash|Tackle|Bite|Dragon Rage

Badges so far... and other stuffs
    PokemonEmerald_1424177359777.png

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 21, 2017
    Update #1: Dragon team - Alpha Sapphire

Please note that this post is super long thanks to me being an idiot and forgetting to post last night's session, so I tacked a bit of today's one on the end.
    Spoiler:

Current team:
    bagon.png

Lv. 24 Bagon (Lelith)
    Female
    Nature: Lonely
    Ability: Rock Head
    Dragon Breath, Ember, Headbutt, Bite

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2022
    Update 2 - Soul Silver Mono-Flying :

Badges: 12