• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The most useless letter in the alphabet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years
    There relly isnt any use for Q, it could easly be replaced by a C or K. Oh and C and K why? They could easly be merged into one aka C OR K.

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
    Q

Seriously, what is the point of having it as a letter if it needs U after it? It defeats the whole purpose of it being a letter >.>

*Language rant over*

AuraAshley1990

Moon night bomb
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    most useless letters would have to be Q,X,and Z not many english words that use those letter

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Moving this to Other Voting Polls since this is one of those threads that just don't have anything contributive to really be stated and is more of a matter of opinion than discussion.

Years
    In my own languague, it's the ß (not to be confused with the B). While Q (although this one is junk as well), X and Y do at least have some purposes like appearing in weird words (Q, X) or in anglicisms and pseudo-anglicisms (Y), the ß can just be replaced by two s which are easier to write anyways.

In English, it's probably the Q. Rare, requires an U, and such.

Years
    Q and X are great for getting really high scores in scrabble. Quixotic ftw

The real most useless letter is œ because it can always be replaced with an e.

AuraAshley1990

Moon night bomb
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    Q is useless because you need a U after it to make english words. its just stupid really.

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
    Without Q what would queens be called? Uenns? xd

Anyway. No letter is useless! 3: They're all unique. <3 Leave the poor little not-often-used letters alone. </3

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I don't think any letter is really useless; I like all of them, I guess. But "q" can be eccentric, since it either necessitates a "u" right after it or just acts like a "k" in disguise. However, I like how the letter "Qq" looks as opposed to seeing "kw" like that every time.

"X" is an awesome letter, but frequently it has to be preceded by an "E" or just mimics "Z" in disguise.

When letters act like other letters in disguise, it gets on my nerves because you're like "What the heck is the point of the other letter existing, then?" I guess for a change in looks, but...

Finally, silent letters, like in the words "euphemism" :cer_pissed: and "gnat". "Uphemism" and "nat" would be perfectly fine (though the former might be mistaken in pronounciation for "uh" instead of "yoo"). The "G" in gnat just seems like the word inventor just stuck in a "G" to screw everyone over to no end...

I can think of plenty of useless words, though. I dislike it when you can simply swap out synonyms, and people marvel at the "diction" in an essay because you switched out some words. All you really did was use a lesser-used word. Even though I employ this technique to improve my writing language, the technique still doesn't sit well with me. But let's not veer off-topic...

So, for me, silent letters, letters in disguise, and letters that constantly require the use of other letters are perceived as not very useful...

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2015
    Look at my name. I made an account simply to express my disdain for the useless letters C,Q,W, X, and Y. Useless, as all can be replaced. Also they should be used to express phonemes currently expressed through digraphs imo.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    i know we've created a new leniency for our revival rule, but 5 years is a little bit of a stretch.

buuut if you made a new account just to express your detest of these letters, then i think it was important anyway. ;P

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back