• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The new Alola region!

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2019
    What are those things near Ula Ula Island? At first I thought they might be rocks but they aren't in the original map artwork. And they look pretty big to be fish or birds unless they're Wailord or Wailmer.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
    Years
  • Anyway, I just discovered something rather...disturbing about the Alola map. According to this new Alola map, a few sinister, ecological-related issues seem to be cropping up, and we don't know why these things are happening.

Well, first off, the water in Malie Garden appears to have dried off:

The new Alola region!

Also, on a somewhat similar note, the water in Brooklet Hill has dried up, like I mentioned in a previous post:

The new Alola region!

But looking on the other side of the spectrum, it seems like the Wela Volcano has become dormant, yet in the previous game it was active and smoking:

The new Alola region!

While Alola has changed a lot though, I couldn't help but examine those three things, because they seem to be somewhat...familiar if you've played R/S/E and noted down Team Magma/Aqua's goals at trying to dry the ocean/expand the ocean respectively. Is this too much of a coincidence, or is something going wrong with the ecosystem in Alola? Is this a hint at bigger things to come? It was also said that Zygarde appears when a region's ecosystem is disturbed, so could this be a hint at Zygarde, perhaps eliminating the collection quest?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Most people have pointed out things, that I could spot. But there are a few new things. Ones known though are:

Volcano's are no longer smoking on Akala.
    Brooklet Hill is dry.
    The rift which there is almost no doubt in Ultra Space.
    Water in the garden on Big Island is dry. Or some is.

Others things I see are these things:
    ~ School of Wailords of Wishiwashi just south of Akala.
    ~ There is a new beach with a building or cave on Akala Island, just north of the port building.
    ~ Multiple buildings have different color roofs.
    ~ There is a new building on the beach on the east side of Big Island.
    ~ The water at the Lake of Moon/Sun is dry
    ~ The Islands are larger on the Northside of Melemele in the hidden area that we get to from a cave.
    ~ New beach area with a cave or something on Melemele that is behind the Hotel.
    ~ There is a new building in the main city on Melemele where the empty spot was.

That is all the changes I can see. However, I will say that a lot of the "dry spots" where water was could be them trying to depict the color of the water in a sunset and it could just look dry. I think the only really dry spot currently in Brooklet Hill, even though I think there is water still there. If it was dry, it would be all that light grey color, but there is a color difference.. And although I can see the Garden thing, I don't know why only half would be gone, especially when it goes in like a circle.

Last edited:

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    Anyway, I just discovered something rather...disturbing about the Alola map. According to this new Alola map, a few sinister, ecological-related issues seem to be cropping up, and we don't know why these things are happening.

Well, first off, the water in Malie Garden appears to have dried off:

The new Alola region!

Also, on a somewhat similar note, the water in Brooklet Hill has dried up, like I mentioned in a previous post:

The new Alola region!

But looking on the other side of the spectrum, it seems like the Wela Volcano has become dormant, yet in the previous game it was active and smoking:

The new Alola region!

While Alola has changed a lot though, I couldn't help but examine those three things, because they seem to be somewhat...familiar if you've played R/S/E and noted down Team Magma/Aqua's goals at trying to dry the ocean/expand the ocean respectively. Is this too much of a coincidence, or is something going wrong with the ecosystem in Alola? Is this a hint at bigger things to come? It was also said that Zygarde appears when a region's ecosystem is disturbed, so could this be a hint at Zygarde, perhaps eliminating the collection quest?
    Brooklet Hill isn't dried out, it's just the sunset reflection makes it look clear. You can see water still pouring down in it.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Other small changes I see, which I wasn't sure if they were large enough to point out, is that there is no rock wall on the southwest side of Poni Island and the rocks have been added to the southeast side of Poni Island.

I wasn't going to point that out, but all other rock walls are in the correct spot.

Also, here is a very High Res map too look at the region better.
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/283217767757512704/348136226588459008/New_Alola_Map_Large.jpg

This map proves that Brooklet Hill isn't dry.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I think someone should compile a comprehensive list of all the differences found so far - there's a lot more there to look at than I think we realize. More subtle changes and altered perspective.

I am disappointed in the general lack of large new areas, but there are some encouraging things here and there and I think there may be more to be excited about than we think!

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Alola is basically the same. This is clearly a third version split into. Minor changes but nothing big. Not impressed to be honest.

Years
  • Alola is basically the same. This is clearly a third version split into. Minor changes but nothing big. Not impressed to be honest.

I don't think so. This game seems to be more along the lines of B2/W2, a sequel with changes to the map and the story being much more different.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I don't think so. This game seems to be more along the lines of B2/W2, a sequel with changes to the map and the story being much more different.
    Sequel applies different characters and a year or so apart. USUM doesn't seem to have either.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Sequel applies different characters and a year or so apart. USUM doesn't seem to have either.

Along the lines of. She's not saying it IS a sequel. She's saying it's more LIKE a sequel then like a remake/third version.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Maybe it's just me, but the region seems a bit more... eery? Desolate? There's a lot of dried-up places scattered over the map, and the red tint really amplifies it all. The ultra wormhole also adds to this effect!

Small note, but some of the tiles haven't been filled and are still just lying there. It doesn't seem for GF to just leave them like that, so they might be getting some purpose as just tiles alone.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I didn't see it. The map looked completely the same. Felt like a copy and paste.

It's a zoomed out image of one of the largest regions we've had to date. You have to look closely :p
    (And yeah, that big hole in the sky was totally there before)

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    It's a zoomed out image of one of the largest regions we've had to date. You have to look closely :p
    (And yeah, that big hole in the sky was totally there before)
    Apart from the cloud, it looks the same but i will wait for the games to come out.

Back