• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The New EXP System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos Uxie

Spreading Chaos....
Years
  • A lot of you know that EXP system in B/W changed.Now higher lvl pokemon will give you more EXP.so it is good and helpful and it made the game a bit hard too(or easy)as u beat N and after that the opponents you face have avg lvl of 60 so it was a bit hard for me but it also made me grow pokemons fast and beat Adeku fastand now i have pokemons of 80

so share ur thoughts about the new EXP System

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I like how they changed it so that you don't get experience so easily from weak Pokemon/more exp from high level ones.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I doubt Game Freak would go and change their exp system. Besides, it has always been like that, you just didn't realize that.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I doubt Game Freak would go and change their exp system. Besides, it has always been like that, you just didn't realize that.

No, he's right. EXP now scales with the level difference between you and your opponent, whereas prior games gave Pokémon a set base EXP yield.

I see it as an interesting attempt to discourage the 'solo starter' type of play, and to make bringing newly caught or hatched Pokémon up to speed with the rest of your team far easier. (Taking a Level 1 Pokémon through an E4 Round 2 run sounds like it'd be gaining levels even more crazy this time round)

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • No, he's right. EXP now scales with the level difference between you and your opponent, whereas prior games gave Pokémon a set base EXP yield.

I see it as an interesting attempt to discourage the 'solo starter' type of play, and to make bringing newly caught or hatched Pokémon up to speed with the rest of your team far easier. (Taking a Level 1 Pokémon through an E4 Round 2 run sounds like it'd be gaining levels even more crazy this time round)

So you mean that now in B/W Fluctuating and Erratic pokemon on the same level would level up at the same speed, instead of the Fluctuating pokemon leveling like three times slower than the Erratic?

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • No, it's not got to do with the amount of experience needed to level up - it's got to do with how much is given per win. Both will still need their respective points to reach level 100, but if they're both fighting Pokemon that have a level advantage over them, they're reach that cap faster because they're getting more points off of the higher level Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I just did the calculations for sending a foreign Level 1 Bulbasaur holding a Lucky Egg into battle with Shikimi's Level 71 Deathkan in the Elite Four Round 2. The resulting EXP is hilarious.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I just did the calculations for sending a foreign Level 1 Bulbasaur holding a Lucky Egg into battle with Shikimi's Level 71 Deathkan in the Elite Four Round 2. The resulting EXP is hilarious.
    I'm guessing it's level sky rocketed?
    Well I want to see if this new ExP method is better or worse...I check this out when I first get White...

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • It's better for training low-levelled Pokemon (because they get more than usual if what they defeat is at a higher level than them), while trying to get a level 100 might be harder as you'll towards the end be battling Pokemon at a lower level to you, hence you'll get less exp with each level you gain. of course, I can't say this is too terrible a problem as wifi battles auto-boost levels anyways and you get a Lucky Egg halfway during the game to use and keep anyways so suddenly you have a double-exp item that used to be rare for free! =p

I like it overall - it does make more sense to me, imo.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013

I'm guessing it's level sky rocketed?
    Well I want to see if this new ExP method is better or worse...I check this out when I first get White...

Bascially.

Let's see if I got this right:

The New EXP System

Bulbapedia said:
    a is equal to 1 if the fainted Pokémon is wild, and 1.5 if the fainted Pokémon is owned by a Trainer.
    t is equal to 1 if the winning Pokémon's OT is its current owner, 1.5 if the Pokémon was gained in a domestic trade, and 1.7 if the Pokémon was gained in an international trade.
    b is the base experience yield of the fainted Pokémon's species, listed here.
    e is equal to 1.5 if the winning Pokémon is holding a Lucky Egg, and 1 otherwise.
    L is the level of the fainted Pokémon.
    In Generation V, Lp is the level of the victorious Pokémon.
    s is the number of Pokémon that participated in the battle and have not fainted. If any Pokémon in the party is holding an Exp. Share, s is equal to 2, and for the rest of the Pokémon, s is equal to twice the number of Pokémon that participated instead.

In Generation V, the experience gain formula was revamped. The constant divisor of 7 was changed to 5, and a factor was added that took the battling Pokémon's level into account.

Let's start with the first line of the equation.

1.5 (Defeating a trainer's Pokémon) x 1.7 (Our Bulbasaur is foreign) x 169 (Deathkan's Base EXP yeild) x 1.5 (Our Bulbasaur is holding a Lucky Egg) x 71 (Shikimi's Deathkan is level 71 in Round 2)

This brings us to 45896.175.

Now, 45896.175 / 10 (5 times two of our Pokémon partaking in the battle, as it's impossible for our Bulbasaur to defeat such an enemy) gives us a base EXP gain of 4589.6175, which isn't shabby in itself.

The fun part is where the EXP multiplier comes in. Our Level 1 Bulbasaur against a Level 71 Deathkan results in a formula of 73 / 3, which results in an EXP multiplier of 24.3 recurring.

And to wrap it all up, 4589.6175 * 24.3r = 111680.6924999998 experience points. Enough to propel our Bulbsaur to level 49.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Bascially.

The New EXP System

1.5 (Defeating a trainer's Pokémon) x 1.7 (Our Bulbasaur is foreign) x 169 (Deathkan's Base EXP yeild) x 1.5 (Our Bulbasaur is holding a Lucky Egg) x 71 (Shikimi's Deathkan is level 71 in Round 2)

Now, 45896.175 / 10 (5 times two of our Pokémon partaking in the battle, as it's impossible for our Bulbasaur to defeat such an enemy) gives us a base EXP gain of 4589.6175, which isn't shabby in itself.

The fun part is where the EXP multiplier comes in. Our Level 1 Bulbasaur against a Level 71 Deathkan results in a formula of 73 / 3, which results in an EXP multiplier of 24.3 recurring.

And to wrap it all up, 4589.6175 * 24.3r = 111680.6924999998 experience points. Enough to propel our Bulbsaur to level 49.
    0_0 wow...that's a lot...what would it have been using the own Exp method?

Chaos Uxie

Spreading Chaos....
    Years
  • In all honesty, I never really noticed too much of a difference while playing the game, so it's fine by me.

yeah i guess u cant notice that much difference but if u give ur pokemon a lucky egg and fight against higher lvl pokemon then they would lvl up like a rocket XD

Bascially.

The New EXP System

wow thats a pretty cool calculation and yeah rocket leveling up

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I actually like the new EXP system. Letting my low-level Pokemon beat higher leveled ones will certainly pay off. But what I don't like about it is that my higher leveled Pokemon won't get a lot of EXP compared to the lower leveled ones when they beat the same Pokemon.

Storm_has_formed

"The Storm is here!!!"
    Years
  • Bascially.

The New EXP System

that is so crazy!!! Nice job with the calcs :)

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Wasn't this the same in every other game, that you gain more experience if the Pokémon is a higher level, or am I missing something out?
    Or, is it if a Lower level Pokémon (i.e Level 36) battles a higher level Pokémon (i.e Level 51) they would get more experience than usual?

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • With the old way the level of the Pokemon gaining experience was not a factor, now it is. Simple as.

stargate1995

Mr. Flying Pickle Monster
    Years
  • Solo Starter playing still works as much as it ever did, me beating the game at lvl 70 with daikenki without training any other pokemon. Only point I had problems was at the bug gym because of that bug grass thing ko'ing me >.<

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Wasn't this the same in every other game, that you gain more experience if the Pokémon is a higher level, or am I missing something out?
    Or, is it if a Lower level Pokémon (i.e Level 36) battles a higher level Pokémon (i.e Level 51) they would get more experience than usual?
    From what I've seen so far, my guess is the second statement. I read on Blissey's Bulbapedia article, and you can get 6081 EXP by defeating a wild level 50 Blissey with a level 50 Pokemon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back