• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Nostalgia Thread

Years

• Happy Nostalgia'ing

Simple thread for a simple answer. What is the one game/s that make you really sit back and go 'Wow, those were the days...'
    It can be anything really, but for it to really be a nostalgia game, it should be AT LEAST a couple of years old, most likely going back to your early teen years/child hood.

You can talk about your experiences with this game/s, good and bad. How you felt when you played it and have you ever played it since? You can post pictures, gifs and/or videos, BUT PLEASE USE SPOILERS IF YOU DO.

Ps. Picture is from Dragon Warrior Monsters for the GBC.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • WHEN I WAS LITTLE I USED TO MAKE UP WORDS TO THE SONGS IN MARIO GAMES BECAUSE I WAS WEIRD. One song was about potties dancing and Bowser making them smell bad and yeah. One was about circles. And then ummm I thought that when you lost in Dr. Mario that the viruses were crying (when really they're laughing at you) and when my maw maw would lose, I would go into the living room to inform everyone that the babies were crying.

I'll come back to this lol...

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • When I first saw this thread the first thing that came to mind was...
    PG-18
    Spoiler:

Super Mario World and Super Mario 64
    Back years ago my brother and I didn't get many new games (we rented a lot), so the games we did get we played a ton. I can remember us playing games like SMW and SM64 to death. Getting all the stars, replaying the levels over and over, finding every little small thing there was to do with the game. We'd put so many hours into a single level that we had already beaten countless times before. But it was still fun.

Drekin

We all live in a...
    Years
  • ^Hell yeah, someone who has played Mario Paint besides me. (most people haven't even heard of it lol)

-At least once a year I'll drop everything spend multiple weeks playing no games except my old Mario games for GBA or GBC --- Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario Land, Super Mario Bros. Deluxe.

-A few months ago I rediscovered a free spaceship game I hadn't played in over 6 years called Subspace Continuum. I thought of it while I was trying to get games my laptop could handle and now I'm back to playing it every night before I go to sleep. I can still remember my brother and I fighting our dial-up connection and out arguments over who gets to play the most during the short time we could use the internet.

-Last Wednesday my friend and I were discussing video game music and the first thing I thought of was Dynasty Warriors. I was thinking about so much when I was driving home I HAD to brush the dust off my PS2 and play some DW 3,4, and 5. I even downloaded 10-12 songs for my Ipod after playing awhile. (I'm listening to some while I type)

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Kirby's Dream Land.

That epic puffball is a game I still enjoy playing constantly, on the good old classic Game Boy. My love for it extends to trying Hard Mode with the options change to provide me with only 1 health bar... Boy, I need to do that again.

razzbat

dancer
    Years
  • my first proper memory of playing video games was when i was in japan at the age of 6, i remember going to my friend's place afterschool and playing on his brother's kirby 64. pokemon silver is a huge nostalgic game for me too, being my first game. pretty much all my gb color games share a strong sense of nostalgia.
    -tarzan
    -harry potter 1 and 2
    -speedy gonzales

ahh good memories XD

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • I remember years ago playing F1-Race on Gameboy, I'd always lose of course, I didn't know what I was doing since I was young and also I used to play Kid Icarus on the Gameboy, the first boss used to scare me! xD

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • A couple of games that define my childhood are TMNT IV: Turtles in Time, Super Mario World, and Diddy Kong Racing. I remember receiving my N64 back in Christmas of 97' that came with Diddy Kong Racing and two controllers as well. I love that game; I found it more enjoyable than any of the Mario Kart games, really.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • Oh man. my best friend (who lived next door) had a N64 back in the day, we played the crap out of this game.
    Spoiler:

The other would be Pokemon Silver, I played and played that game. I remember seeing the game clock at 114:01. I was 10 at the time, so that was a lot of time to me.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • All you old folks going back to your SNES and N64 days, and here's me getting nostalgic over Kingdom Hearts 1, lmao. ): I recently found it and I've been playing non-stop. ;-;

DragonLX

something
    Years
    • Age 30
    • ask
    • Seen Nov 4, 2015
    AAAAAAAH SUNSET RIDERS. I played that game with my best friend like there was no tomorrow when we were kids. I always picked the poncho guy and he some other guy and then we killed other guys and died a lot as well. That reminds of when videogames were pretty challenging due to my inexpertise in them...

Other games I loved as well when I was a kid were the Megaman X thingajiggers, Metal Slug, Chronno Trigger, Ogre Battle, Pokémon Silver, Super Mario World, the list goes on. Good times.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • I remember a friend of mine had an N64 and he and I would play Mario Cart for hours. And I also remember owning Megaman on the gameboy. I think I still have a copy of that somehwere.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Random things I remembered:

- I called the flute in SMB3 "the toot"
    - Pokemon Colosseum is the most nostalgic GCN game for meeee
    - I carried around a notebook with planned out movesets and teams for my Pokemon when I left home...sometimes I brought my guidebooks
    - I thought Dr. Mario was trying to OD whoever that bottle of vitamins was going to
    - Speaking of that bottle, when I was really little, I thought it was a shovel and not a bottle lmao
    - I screamed in my cousin's ear the first time I beat the E4 on Sapphire
    - In Tetris, long red blocks solved all your problems!

Mr. Magius

  
    Years
  • I played Pokémon Puzzle Challenge for the GBC a lot; Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow; the Paper Mario series always tends to give me nostalgia; I even get nostalgia from playing Colosseum and XD.

dash!

Epic
    Years
  • Super Mario 64
    Mario Kart
    Pokemon Stadium Games
    Donkey Kong 64
    Pokemon Snap
    The first three Spyro Games
    Crash Bandicoot Games
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Pokemon Red and Blue
    Sonic the Hedgehog. :D

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I remember watching one of my friends die all the time in level 7-1 in SMB3. When I finally got to play that level on my GBA, I was surprised at how easy it actually was XD

I remember making drawings of SM64, while another firend played Ocarina. I thought that game was too creepy (my first view of Future Hyrule Town scared me a lot- I was 8 back then).

I remember a posh and rich classmate showing me an awesome game he had bought in London- it was red, and it was a bout getting a Charmander burn birds over and over while you looked for a way to get past a guy sleeping on the floor. I found it boring, plus it was in a weird language I barely could understand, so I thanked him and said I was not interested on it.

Also I remember that same guy showing me a game where "the characters were larger than mountains". The name was Golden Sun. Now that I think about it, I owe him a lot from my gaming history XD

I remember playing Oracle of Ages with my friend Álex. He beat the second dungeon because I was utterly stuck on it and the rest of the game easily fell behind. I also remember him being a great Yoshi fan. When he died, I got his cartridge of Yoshi's Island as a memento. I still keep it.

And finally, I remember playing Wind Waker on my GC with my mom watching all the cutscenes with me, saying how beautiful the story was. I still remind her of that every once in a while.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Oddly, Ocarina of Time doesn't give me a sense of nostalgia. But other N64 games Banjo-Kazooie, Pokemon Snap, or GoldenEye do. Ironically, two of those I didn't have a copy of.

Same with Super Mario Bros.. I know it's retro, and I played it as a little kid. But, Super Mario World stands out for me more.

Kirby's Dream Land is a huge nostalgia bomb for me. I didn't have a copy. My cousin did, but I would play it every chance I could (to unlock the sound test XD).

Maybe the Aladdin game on SuperNES? I played that a lot. My brother revisited it last year I think, and whenever I saw him play it I definitely got a sense of nostalgia.

And of course, Pokemon. Blue/Yellow specifically as I didn't have Red myself, but it doesn't make a difference. And it carried over well with LeafGreen for me. I can play LeafGreen and have a sense of pretty nostalgia.

Back