• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The offical "PC won't load | I can't post | threads won't load" etc. thread.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 23, 2008
    Why does it always say data base error every time i get on i have to click refresh 100 times to view a page >.<

Years
  • When the error appears, check the HTML. You'll find a "too many connections" error in a comment at the bottom. What's strange is that this error can appear even when the site isn't receiving a heavy load. When it happens, everything will be working fine for a while, but then it'll go completely dead and not come back for a while.

This leads me to believe that there's something like a "connection leak" going on in the PHP scripts. They aren't releasing connections when they're done with them, or are leaving them open, expecting them to be used again, but another part of the script decides to use a brand new connection instead. There need only be one connection open per page request, but I think there's more, which is a major bug that would cause the forums to crash under much less strain than they ought to. In an ideal world, the forums should never go down completely like they do. This is only a theory. I hope I may be of some help with it.

They should start to show intermittent unreliability once the max number of users has been exceeded, and gradually become more unreliable as the load continues to increase.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2009
    Help me out i can't post anywhere or evem pm anyone. I never received my activation code in my email and i have tried to retreive it mutiple time. Can a mod help me out so i can post. Please.

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
  • Help me out i can't post anywhere or evem pm anyone. I never received my activation code in my email and i have tried to retreive it mutiple time. Can a mod help me out so i can post. Please.

I activated your account. You should be able to post now.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    I just had trouble logging in from my bookmark of the site. It kept trying to get here through the old theud server. Was the server finally changed without a redirect placed or something? Do I need to update my bookmark now?

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Yes...you should probably update the bookmark...just to be safe...

When the error appears, check the HTML. You'll find a "too many connections" error in a comment at the bottom. What's strange is that this error can appear even when the site isn't receiving a heavy load. When it happens, everything will be working fine for a while, but then it'll go completely dead and not come back for a while.

This leads me to believe that there's something like a "connection leak" going on in the PHP scripts. They aren't releasing connections when they're done with them, or are leaving them open, expecting them to be used again, but another part of the script decides to use a brand new connection instead. There need only be one connection open per page request, but I think there's more, which is a major bug that would cause the forums to crash under much less strain than they ought to. In an ideal world, the forums should never go down completely like they do. This is only a theory. I hope I may be of some help with it.

They should start to show intermittent unreliability once the max number of users has been exceeded, and gradually become more unreliable as the load continues to increase.

What MetalMario is saying sounds sensible to me...perhaps getting a more recent version of VBulletin could fix the problem....I dont know much about PHP but as a novice java programmer i know that sometimes to speed up the program you have to make sure it uses only the resources it needs...If what he is saying is true then PC may not need a new server after all....

Simply read the other posts before yours. There is nothing we could do about it, except switching to another server.
    And, as it has been mentioned on a few occasions, this might happen next month.
    And if what MetalMario mentioned doesnt sound convicing...
    You have heard that the server could change in two weeks right? How much downtime would that mean for us?

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    I just had trouble logging in from my bookmark of the site. It kept trying to get here through the old theud server. Was the server finally changed without a redirect placed or something? Do I need to update my bookmark now?

Okay, another problem: since the change the forum has taken considerably longer to load threads when I try to get to them. It doesn't end up with a Databse error, though, so that's probably not it.

I really need an answer to this. The lag is MUCH worse than before. It takes forever to get on the forums now, and I know it isn't because of traffic because 1. no Database Errors show up, and 2. there's hardly anyone online.

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
  • This leads me to believe that there's something like a "connection leak" going on in the PHP scripts. They aren't releasing connections when they're done with them, or are leaving them open, expecting them to be used again, but another part of the script decides to use a brand new connection instead. There need only be one connection open per page request, but I think there's more, which is a major bug that would cause the forums to crash under much less strain than they ought to. In an ideal world, the forums should never go down completely like they do. This is only a theory. I hope I may be of some help with it.

Could this problem be arising from cookies? Those are basically connections the forum holds to retain account information. With thousands of members cookie'd in, this could be as if tens of thousands of members were logged in 24/7, causing major slowdowns. On the other hand, many, if not all sites hold some form of cookie, so that alone may not be the only problem.

What MetalMario is saying sounds sensible to me...perhaps getting a more recent version of VBulletin could fix the problem....I dont know much about PHP but as a novice java programmer i know that sometimes to speed up the program you have to make sure it uses only the resources it needs...If what he is saying is true then PC may not need a new server after all....

Unfortunately, Updating VBulliten wont do much seeing as 3.6.7 is currently the most recent version out there.

However, this is all speculation for the past. Personally, I have been experiencing very little, if not any downtime recently. So I guess you guys are doing good so far!

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2007
    i cant post ;o; how can i post in a tread? it tells me i cannot because it says "You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more"

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    PC just seriously slowed down for about ten minutes or so. I thought it was just me, but as it turns out, several other people experienced it too.

We aren't going to get another Database error, are we?

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • PC just seriously slowed down for about ten minutes or so. I thought it was just me, but as it turns out, several other people experienced it too.

We aren't going to get another Database error, are we?
    *shrugs* I dunno. Maybe the server is having a really bad monday XDD
    I dont think there will be DBEs. But I have noticed PC is slowing down a bit XP

Whitewash

Tastes Like Paint
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2008
    I'm constantly getting logged out, even when I don't click the log-out link. Is this normal, or what? O_o

Back