• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official PokéCommunity Shipping Debates

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommanderPigg

Dento used bishie sparkles!
Years

Everything you say is so true and I can't do anything but agree. ;; /really does want to actually contribute
Aw...but you are contributing! I encourage people to challenge my ideas, it's okay ^^ (You can do what my sister does and take an opposite stance from me just for the sake of arguing, even though she doesn't believe it herself...but that can get tiresome XDDD)

Kenny probably started liking her because of them being childhood friends. Most childhood friends start liking each other as a couple. -happened to me before in RL-
I have a soft spot in my heart for childhood friend pairings ^^ awww, that's so cute! I do find one problem with them though...if the relationship goes wrong, it jeopardizes not only the status of the couple, but the status of the friendship as well. Which is why I always keep friendship crushes...one sided ;_;

I suppose it's why I'm also reluctant to ship them in anime as well.

Hm...this has got me thinking...are there any real life experiences you've had (or experiences on the internet with something unrelated) that has affected your shipping preferences? Just out of curiosity ^^

This is true actually. We were talking about this in the Dento club. Dento has more personality then Iris does which you have explained. He caught a Pokemon that listens to him while Iris has a Pokemon that doesn't.
I should probably join the Dento and cafemocha club while I'm here ^^;
Okay, the thing is...I think that the fact that Iris has a lot of complications she needs to overcome is a very GOOD thing; it leaves room for a lot of character development. She has to struggle with not only a baby pokemon that's having problems learning simple moves, but another that doesn't respect her in the least. And usually, this leads to bonding episodes and training episodes...only, Iris has't gotten that chance yet. The show has been predominantly focused on Ash and Dento :/

Also true as well. We don't know much about Iris past but hopefully we will soon in the next few episode. I actually do want to know more about Iris. I like Iris too But I like Dento so much better. Since we are learning more about Dento's and Iris personality; I can see more of Wishfulshipping and also for Cafemocha. -high fives Commanderpigg-
Iris has so much potential, so let's keep our fingers crossed ^^ *high fives back*

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
Years
I have a soft spot in my heart for childhood friend pairings ^^ awww, that's so cute! I do find one problem with them though...if the relationship goes wrong, it jeopardizes not only the status of the couple, but the status of the friendship as well. Which is why I always keep friendship crushes...one sided ;_;

Yeah that can sometimes be a bad thing too .-.

Hm...this has got me thinking...are there any real life experiences you've had (or experiences on the internet with something unrelated) that has affected your shipping preferences? Just out of curiosity ^^

Hmmm I think so. I had one person that I actually liked -who supposedly something happened when I was little and that got me to like him-. We didn't go into a huge relationship though so we stayed close friends. Then there are a bunch of people in high school that has a crush on me so I guess that got me to get into the s hipping preference.(I hopped I answered the question right)

I should probably join the Dento and cafemocha club while I'm here ^^;

Don't forget about the Wishfulshipping club that's waiting for an approval. ^.^

Okay, the thing is...I think that the fact that Iris has a lot of complications she needs to overcome is a very GOOD thing; it leaves room for a lot of character development. She has to struggle with not only a baby pokemon that's having problems learning simple moves, but another that doesn't respect her in the least. And usually, this leads to bonding episodes and training episodes...only, Iris has't gotten that chance yet. The show has been predominantly focused on Ash and Dento :/

I'll have to agree with that. Sometimes I wonder how she got her second Pokemon or could that have been her first one? I hope Dento starts to help her gain respect for her other Pokemon. That'll be so cute! Wishfulshipping shall take over Pokemon >.>.

Iris has so much potential, so let's keep our fingers crossed ^^ *high fives back*

Iris has a lot of people going after her huh? Ash, Dento, Shooti.....who's next; N?

CommanderPigg

Dento used bishie sparkles!
Years

Yeah that can sometimes be a bad thing too .-.
Oh boy, isn't that the truth? o_o'

Hmmm I think so. I had one person that I actually liked -who supposedly something happened when I was little and that got me to like him-. We didn't go into a huge relationship though so we stayed close friends. Then there are a bunch of people in high school that has a crush on me so I guess that got me to get into the s hipping preference.(I hopped I answered the question right)
I suppose I should have been more clrear (though your answer is acceptable, don't worry). What I meant to say was, was there anything that influenced they types of shippings you ship or the way you shipped them?

For instance, all my life, I've noticed that most of my "crushes" had been my rival in one way or another...I find the antagonistic back and forth between our interactions to be challenging and fun...So, as a result, I tended to ship a LOT of rival shippings D:

Also, since I usually keep my loves unrequited, I tend to not want pairings to become canon >_>

Don't forget about the Wishfulshipping club that's waiting for an approval. ^.^

Hehe, I'll consider :P

I'll have to agree with that. Sometimes I wonder how she got her second Pokemon or could that have been her first one? I hope Dento starts to help her gain respect for her other Pokemon. That'll be so cute! Wishfulshipping shall take over Pokemon >.>.
I would love to think that Iris has had battle experience before and has pokemon in storage. She is the gym leader in White, so I hope they somewhat keep that in the anime.
While it would be cute for Dento to help Iris out with her pokemon (which I'm sure he will), I'm going to guess that Ash will be doing some of the coaching. Iris will of course be reluctant to be taking advice from a "kid," but that kind of tsundere attitude is what makes it so adorable ^^ /trying to be fair to both ships

Iris has a lot of people going after her huh? Ash, Dento, Shooti.....who's next; N?
don't forget Paul Haha, I think that Dento is more of the fandom bicycle this season, but yeah...Shooti needs to show up soon. I was SO ready to ship him with Ash, but limited interaction is making it hard =_=

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
Years
Oh boy, isn't that the truth? o_o'

Yeah I think sometimes when it comes to childhood friends wanting to become couples can go wrong at times. I mean Kenny and Dawn where childhood friends but Dawn didn't like Kenny the way Kenny liked her and I do see this happen sometimes in RL however; Kenny is still friends with Dawn which is good but in RL situations; sometimes friendship can be broken a bit as well.

I suppose I should have been more clrear (though your answer is acceptable, don't worry). What I meant to say was, was there anything that influenced they types of shippings you ship or the way you shipped them?

For instance, all my life, I've noticed that most of my "crushes" had been my rival in one way or another...I find the antagonistic back and forth between our interactions to be challenging and fun...So, as a result, I tended to ship a LOT of rival shippings D

Also, since I usually keep my loves unrequited, I tend to not want pairings to become canon >_>:

Oh I see what your going now. ^^' -blames my tiredness but I don't want to go to bed. Hmmm I don't have that many rivals to be honest. I usually just go with the couples that have a good personality together and I think that's the same way with me in Real Life. Small hints or something that gets you thinking that they are a good couple is a bit the same way in RL. I do compare with the other shippings with that one character. The one I think that fits the most is what I go with like Twinleafshipping, I liked Dawn better with Barry since they seemed to be so cute together and also had a lot of good moments, barely got into any fights at all compared to Ikarishipping and Pearlshipping. I guess that ties into the way I am when it comes to couples; the ones I hang out the most, not argue or just seem to like the same things that I like(Or is really funny).

-Wah that is a long post there-

Hehe, I'll consider :P

Woot; is a happy camper!

I would love to think that Iris has had battle experience before and has pokemon in storage. She is the gym leader in White, so I hope they somewhat keep that in the anime.

I thought so too. When I was watching Iris train with Dento; I was thinking she would have more battle experience but when I watched it; I noticed that she somewhat didn't. Then again the Anime doesn't go with the game much.

While it would be cute for Dento to help Iris out with her pokemon (which I'm sure he will), I'm going to guess that Ash will be doing some of the coaching. Iris will of course be reluctant to be taking advice from a "kid," but that kind of tsundere attitude is what makes it so adorable ^^ /trying to be fair to both ships

Iris at first started training with Dento until Ash got a baby Pokemon so that makes things much easier for Kibago/Axew to train(You are lucky Ash!) Her calling Ash a kid is cute. I want to see the English version of her training with Dento just so that I can understand what Iris was saying when she was yelling at Ash.

don't forget Paul Haha, I think that Dento is more of the fandom bicycle this season, but yeah...Shooti needs to show up soon. I was SO ready to ship him with Ash, but limited interaction is making it hard =_=

Paul was in the anime a lot in DP. Shooti only appeared in 2 episodes. Hopefully we'll see more of him later on although Paul was in a lof of episodes in the beginning of the show(If I could remember correctly). Looks like Dento is going to have a competition with Shooti now.

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
I think the whole Iris calling Ash a kid thing is just to eventually make Ash look better by the end of the series when Iris realises "he's not just a kid" or something. Oh, and also "an interesting new character dynamic". Hmm. If it were any anime other than Pokemon, I would agree with you, though...I'm surprised AK47 hasn't mentioned that scene where Iris was staring at Ash for a while in the latest BW dub episode, though. I think when he was looking after Tepig or something, I can't remember D8

From one of the previous conversations: I don't like the childhood friends becoming boyfriend and girlfriend sort of thing. It's just such a cliche in animes I get sick of seeing it and feel like rolling my eyes. But it failed in Pokemon, so...good?

Icky, Iris is too immature for N, I can't imagine it really. D:

Last edited:

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
Icky, Iris is too immature for N, I can't imagine it really. D:
I just think he would critisise her for keeping a Kibago in her hair, bad parenting training(?). Seeing as he doesn't like how Trainers capture pokémon and force them to battle etc...

I think the whole Iris calling Ash a kid thing is just to eventually make Ash look better by the end of the series when Iris realises "he's not just a kid" or something. Oh, and also "an interesting new character dynamic". Hmm. If it were any anime other than Pokemon, I would agree with you, though...I'm surprised AK47 hasn't mentioned that scene where Iris was staring at Ash for a while in the latest BW dub episode, though. I think when he was looking after Tepig or something, I can't remember D8

Honestly "¬.¬, the only reason shes calling him a kid is because he's acting like one. xD I'm pretty sure during episode 4 she stopped saying it after she saw how he looked after Tepig, even if she still does - she knows how caring he can be, and how good a trainer he is. (I just lol'd at my own sentence)

In general Cilian seems to have a great deal of faith in Ash, as seen quite few times now. Iris, on the other hand, just likes being difficult. I don't honestly expect her to ever stop calling Ash a kid. That's just her gimmik, like Dawn's "Daijoubuu", and May's "komo" after alot of thing in the Japanese version.
Well honestly I don't think so, if it is then it's just crap - it's just her personality. I'm sure everyone Ash has met at first as sort of criticised him on acting childish. Including most of the leading girls. Misty always did it, Dawn always broke into Arguments with him ("The champ twins" is a good example) and also all his rivals. May sort of always looked for Ash for advise, he seemed to act the most cleverest/wiser in AG.

Last edited:

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
Other than that I don't recall them arguing that much.
I'm sure Dawn argued with him ALL the time, including a favourite of mine; "The Champ Twins"
KKY5D.jpg
5eZPq.jpg
oE8vv.jpg

There also was an episode I can't remember, but she went all out on him. xD Poor ash.

Still, loads of people thought he was a kid. Even though he may have been 10, one could argue that it is a mature Age in the anime, mature enough to travel the country alone at least...

Also - about the rash thing, didn't characters thing he was childish because he acted Rashly?

Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2012

I'm sure Dawn argued with him ALL the time, including a favourite of mine; "The Champ Twins"

There also was an episode I can't remember, but she went all out on him. xD Poor ash.
Two episodes doesn't equal "all the time". Dawn didn't argue with Ash so much that it stuck out. I barely remember a time when she did, beyond the Champ Twin episode.

...The Champ Twins episode was the DP equivalent of that one AG episode, anyway. Meant to reinforce the friendship aspect by making them argue, since whoa-ho, they're both double-battle episodes that require cooperation. Otherwise, they're toss-outs, if it's simply meant to be a recycled plot for the sake of showing off how well Ash+girl get along.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
Well I was setting those two episodes as examples, there were much more.

Even, so - that provides a bigger point for my arguement for Iris.

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
I'm sure Lyra was hinting Dawn at liking Ash, and it was implied Lyra and Khourey liked each other. *looks at Lyra's anime page* Wow, someone's went a little over the top with the Ash/Lyra shipping hints there...o_O Have I really remembered this wrong? http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lyra_(anime) I remember Lyra making hints that Dawn liked Ash, not that Lyra was interested in Ash so asked Dawn about him.

Well, we saw how she acted when he won the first gym battle with Cilan. She silently commented it was awesome or something while saying his name. Then when he asked her about it, she chastised him a bit. That of course angered him before Cilan broke it up.

Oh, so Iris doesn't think that Ash acts like a child after his first gym battle? So she really isn't doing anything after the first few episodes? *hasn't watched subs*

Last edited:

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
Years
Wow I missed a lot. I'll try to catch up soon.

I'm sure Lyra was hinting Dawn at liking Ash, and it was implied Lyra and Khourey liked each other. *looks at Lyra's anime page* Wow, someone's went a little over the top with the Ash/Lyra shipping hints there...o_O Have I really remembered this wrong? http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lyra_(anime) I remember Lyra making hints that Dawn liked Ash, not that Lyra was interested in Ash so asked Dawn about him.

Oh yeah I remember that episode. She rejected him pretty quickly once Lyra hinted the relationship between these to.

Well honestly I don't think so, if it is then it's just crap - it's just her personality. I'm sure everyone Ash has met at first as sort of criticised him on acting childish. Including most of the leading girls. Misty always did it, Dawn always broke into Arguments with him ("The champ twins" is a good example) and also all his rivals. May sort of always looked for Ash for advise, he seemed to act the most cleverest/wiser in AG.

Ash is childish in every episode. Misty, May, and Dawn mentioned it at least once or a couple of times in the show so Iris isn't the only one that does it.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
Years
I think Lyra actually liked Ash and was a little bit jealous on how she travels with them but then again that's my eyes.

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Nim
  • Seen Feb 16, 2017
Mew~ said:
Dawn always broke into Arguments with him ("The champ twins" is a good example) and also all his rivals. May sort of always looked for Ash for advise, he seemed to act the most cleverest/wiser in AG.

Still, loads of people thought he was a kid. Even though he may have been 10, one could argue that it is a mature Age in the anime, mature enough to travel the country alone at least...

Dawn rarely argued with Ash, it was just that one episode that made it a huge deal. I don't know if the "Dawn and Ash helping Pachirisu while Brock is sick" counted as another argument. The same happened with May. That "student-teacher relationship" lasted for only a few episodes in the beginning. Misty and Ash had the most arguments.

Well this point is moot because in the games you do travel alone in the world at 10 years old.

ZeroX5 said:
But I suppose people like Paul, and Misty were 10 as well...but their behavior was certantily more mature. Paul being 10 is still weird.

The only other time I really remember them arguing was in the Gible episode with Lyra and Khoury. Where Ash ran ahead of Dawn, and Khoury...falling into a trap shortly after. Dawn got mad at him, and they argued about his rashness. I can't think of anything other than that.

I can only assume Lyra was so adamant about pairing Dawn with Khoury because she liked Ash. *shrug*

She was going on alot about Ash good points. When she was babbling on about marriage, and said "Ash, was really good" or something. To which Dawn responded "Really?". She later attempted it with Ash in the next episode when she asked him if he thought "Dawn, was the best in the room.". He agreed, thinking she was talking about Coordinators, when she was talking about appearance. It went over Dawn's head as well.

But for them to act that way but still be 10? It doesn't add up. How many 10 year olds we know act like Misty and Paul? That's what bugs me with the ages in this anime. Oh, and welcome to the thread!

Yes that was another one. But that was it. We never got so much with May either.

All I can say is, Lyra was well "developed" for her age to know things like that, even if she's the same age as Dawn and the other girls Ash travels with. o_O And she was pretty bold saying that stuff up front!

Sorry, when was this?

Jorah said:
I remember Lyra making hints that Dawn liked Ash, not that Lyra was interested in Ash so asked Dawn about him.

Lyra began to admire Ash until she saw him and Dawn bicker over something. It was then when she asked Dawn about Ash. And it was the double-battle where Lyra developed feelings for Khoury. Like I said, Lyra was "ahead of the game" so to speak than anyone else, assuming they're all 10 years old.

Can't help but feel that they made Lyra a little "dirty" in the anime. In the games she wasn't all into it, more like denying what her grandma thought...

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
Years
The age is all messed up in the anime. Ash is still 10 for who knows how long. Oh yeah I forgot to mention; now I ship Juniper and Poddo all thanks to TheSmartOne.

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Nim
  • Seen Feb 16, 2017
ZeroX5 said:
The marriage dialogue was when they where trapped in the room in the episode "Gone with the Windworks." The one about Dawn being "the best in the room" was in the episode where Dawn entered the contest against Jessilina (James). It was the first time Lyra had seen Dawn in her pink contest outfit.

Oh yes that one. But what I liked about that dialogue is that both Ash and Dawn were dense about it, or didn't get it, and it wasn't the usual "one-sided"ness we get from Ash.

Iris's "kid" comments are warranted and unwarranted in places. The part where Ash didn't know which town they were in was uncalled for, however.

SonicTH

Crazy Sonic and Poke-fan
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 30, 2011
Um... Maybe it's not right topic,guys, but ... Is there any fans of James+Jessie here? ^^'

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Nim
  • Seen Feb 16, 2017
ZeroX5 said:
They trying to say that Kenny, and Drew are the stronger "men" for the girls or something..or I am just reading waay to much into things?

Well it's not that Kenny is equally as strong as Drew. Drew had no fear in his intentions and advances. Kenny was nervous and jealous all at the same time. That way Drew looks stronger than Kenny.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
Years
I'll have to agree with Ruby on this one. Kenny was never the strong type as Drew was. To me Drew didn't look like he cared much about relationships. He just went with the flow while Kenny was all jealous(And what else Ruby had mentioned about him). I never watched that episode of Kenny wanting Dawn to go with him in English since I didn't bother watching it since I watched the Japanese version so I can't really determine much on what happened there but yeah defiantly Drew was the stronger one when it comes to this.

Um... Maybe it's not right topic,guys, but ... Is there any fans of James+Jessie here? ^^'

It's ok; I'm not really huge in the Rocketshipping. They were cute back in that one episode when they first met.

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Nim
  • Seen Feb 16, 2017
What's the complication to this question, is that unlike Ash, Drew and Kenny develop their personalities. Drew's rate of change is faster than Kenny. Ash is the one who never improves series to series. He's still the same kid. And that's what's bothersome, is that his rivals improve, but he never does. Once it's a new series, Ash is back to square one.

We see Drew, Kenny, and Barry change. If Ash changes, it's only for that series, but not for the next one. The girls will always choose Ash's rival as the stronger one cause that's how the anime is set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back