• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official Shiny Thread

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    Wait though. If you SR before you get the egg from the old man, and if your egg was shiny and then you SRed, then wouldn't you most likely not get that shiny again? Cause if I remember correctly, when the old man hands you the egg is when the Pokemon's gender, IVs, and if it's a shiny or not is determined. If you saved right before you got the egg, hatched it, and it was a shiny yet did not have the IVs you wanted, and if you SRed, then wouldn't the next time you hatch that egg, you most likely wouldn't get a shiny? Sorry if that's confusing, I'm bad at wording :[

I thought Shiny and Gender were determined when you get the egg, but Nature and IV's were determined when it hatched.
    I may be wrong...

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    What, really? I always thought nature and IVs were set right when the egg is handed to you.

I'm pretty sure at least nature is determined when it hatches, cause I was SRing the Togepi egg on FireRed and the nature kept changing.
    It might be different in Generation 4 though.

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
    Years
    I'm pretty sure at least nature is determined when it hatches, cause I was SRing the Togepi egg on FireRed and the nature kept changing.
    It might be different in Generation 4 though.
    Ahh. See I'm not so sure about that, but I could obviously be wrong. The reason why I don't think that is because whenever I SR an egg it gets the same nature. But then again, I use Everstones and usually only SR an egg once at the most.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Just to clear this up, only the IVs are set when the Day Care man gives you the egg. Everything else (gender, ability, nature, shininess) is set as soon as the egg is created (before he gives you it).

Years
    RNG Abuse Fails.

Yesterday, I chained a shiny Mareep in Diamond. It was at a chain of 18. I stepped onto a safe patch, but behold, my game breaks the chain. 10th time in this profile, I do believe.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2009
    Yeah I got a shiny poliwag from the daycare man.
    I got seven shiny eevees (4 in trade)
    Oh And A Shiny Arceus..But I Cheated On That One ;D

kissing. raindrops

Years
    I am SO pissed off right now.
    I had just chained 39 Pichu in the Trophy Mansion on Platinum, and then the stupid ****ing chain BROKE. And I did NOTHING! One thing I know I was battling the 39th Pichu, and the next thing, when the battle ended, the Pokeradar music was gone, and the chain had broken. Anyone know why? It was my first ever chain getting it that high...

Years
    You walked out of range or got on your bike. Something like that. Most likely went out of range.

Will someone please break into my house and kill my step dad?

Years
    That is the lamest thing I have ever HEARD. Although, I guess I was on the very side of the grass :[...

Yeah. All your patches must have been close togethor for that to happen. I usually just stay one patch away vertically and one patch away horizontally then run up and down in 5 step bursts.

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
    I know.... I kinda went by the double post limit, but I got another shiny and need to post again =)

In addition to:
    Wahooo!!!

Shiny: Yes
    Pokemon: Staryu
    Nature: Serious
    Method: RNG Abuse

I know, the nature isn't great, but I was doing this as a test to see for myself if it worked annndd...... it does!

I received a shiny Naive Gible. Woo!!! Hopefully someone will find a shiny before I post again. I love this!

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    In Platinum, my traveling Moltres was shiny! Woowoo. Caught it in a premier ball too! Woowoo.

kissing. raindrops

Years
    Yeah. All your patches must have been close togethor for that to happen. I usually just stay one patch away vertically and one patch away horizontally then run up and down in 5 step bursts.
    I didn't really get that. :[
    So, how do I avoid doing it again? I'm gonna swallow my anger and try again. :]

Years
    I got 3 Shiny pokemon:

Tentacool which i caught in Ruby
    Buneary which i caught in Diamond and Evolved it in Lopunny
    Machamp which i traded for. (machoke which evolved. :) )

Years
    i got 11 shinys, one of thems darkrai :)

chanining shinys is where you battle with the same type of pokemon over and over again till a chain builds up, i got my buiziel by chaning 47 times :)

Back