• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official Shiny Thread

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    I didn't really get that. :[
    So, how do I avoid doing it again? I'm gonna swallow my anger and try again. :]
    Oh, I already told you how horrible that was, but I think I know the problem.

If there was a message saying, "the grass remained quiet," then you were next to the edge/wall. The grass patches were calculated to appear outside of the garden and could not do so, thus stopping the chain.

To avoid this, try to stay in the middle to ensure that you'll at least have a patch trigger on any side of your character.

However, chains do break for no reason at all. It's very rare, but I had this happen to me right after I walked into a shiny patch. Unfortunately, you didn't see your shiny patch before it broke. ;;

Jlizard and Haza, congrats on the nice shinies. :0

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
    Years
    Oh, I already told you how horrible that was, but I think I know the problem.

If there was a message saying, "the grass remained quiet," then you were next to the edge/wall. The grass patches were calculated to appear outside of the garden and could not do so, thus stopping the chain.

To avoid this, try to stay in the middle to ensure that you'll at least have a patch trigger on any side of your character.

However, chains do break for no reason at all. It's very rare, but I had this happen to me right after I walked into a shiny patch. Unfortunately, you didn't see your shiny patch before it broke. ;;

Jlizard and Haza, congrats on the nice shinies. :0
    Thanks TB. Well, I've learned my lesson. >___> The hard way. I was so close, too! It would have been my first shiny. Oh well.. I'll probably chain again. Like now. I'll let you know how it goes. ;D

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jul 12, 2009
    I just started chaining last week, and I've only managed to chain 2 Shiny Ralts. One was caught at 17 chained, and the other at 42.
    Both of which are Male (of course... I was looking for a female...)
    I went on another female Ralts hunt last night and my chain broke at 50; I was so mad! You'd think I would've found at least ONE shiny Ralts in between... :(

*~Fireheart~*

ready for action!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2012
    I have shiny poochyena, shiny relicanth, shiny beautifly, shiny glalie, shiny altaria, shiny lati@s (took me FOREVER to get these), shiny linoone. Would have caught a Shiny Shellder in Pokémon Crystal, but I had to "switch boxes" and I couldn't catch anything!

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    Man, Just got my first platinum shiny.

It's a Docile Magmar (F)
    Not a very good nature, could have been better.. IMO.
    Managed to get it at a chain of 41.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    While searching for Dittos of every nature, I found a Shiny Ditto! It's the first shiny I've caught by myself in the 4th Gen. This bring my shiny count to seven (Ditto, Eevee, Mewtwo, Lugia, Cyndaquil, Dratini, and Suicune)

kissing. raindrops

Years
    While searching for Dittos of every nature, I found a Shiny Ditto! It's the first shiny I've caught by myself in the 4th Gen. This bring my shiny count to seven (Ditto, Eevee, Mewtwo, Lugia, Cyndaquil, Dratini, and Suicune)
    Wow Gummy, that's so hot n_____n
    Plus, all your other shinies are super awesome. Lucky. >:[

Years
    When your shiny ditto transforms is it blue or a shiny version of that pokemon
    Throughout generations it has been all of the above:

GenII: Always blue. (Regular Ditto was always purple.)
    GenIII: Turns into a shiny version of the opponent. (Regular Ditto turns into a regularly coloured version of the opponent even if it's shiny.)
    GenIV: Turns into a copy of the opponent with same colours and everything. (Boring.)

Years
    Does the PokeRadar actually make finding Shinies easier? I mean i know it shows you where they are, but it doesn't really increase the 1/8xxx chance by any amount, does it?

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    It does. An approximate formula (for each patch being shiny) is 1/((41-c)*200). So the chance maxes out when your chain is at 40, since then you have a 1/200 chance for each patch to be shiny (or around 1/50 for one of them to be shiny).

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    Just caught my first shiny legendary giratina that has calm nature and been working on for about three days I took two day break while resetting for it because I started to get bored. Caught it with a master ball because it was about to use struggle since I counted the amount of pp of the remaining move dragon claw he was using and didn't want to risk it. It's my second shiny next to my useless shiny plusle that I imported from emerald. I tryed many times for shiny legends but always fail so this gave me motivation to tryed more.

kissing. raindrops

Years
    Is it very difficult to find a shiny pokemon?
    Yupp. The chances of finding a shiny just normally is 1/8219 or something like that. The last three digits are wrong, but it's in the 8000's. Chaining with the Pokeradar, however, will increase your chances of finding a shiny Pokemon to 1/200 once you have a chain of 40, as Wichu mentioned.

xXgunboundpkmnguy

everlasting love...
    Years
    what sticks for me that i only met 1 shiny but it was ..........................................DRUMROLL PLZZZZ!

A SHINY GIRATINA !!! HOLY!! i saved in front of giratina and found it shiny in under 5 min! WOW

NatureKeeper

-Umm... I like shiny PIPLUPS
    -Missed my shiny bellsprout
    -Once lost a chance for a shiny oddish
    -Shiny Zigzagoon.

Back