• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official Shiny Thread

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Nokon, you can still reset for a shiny Dialga. As soon as you battle it, if it doesn't shine and look like a like aqua color, reset. I personally never liked Dialga's shiny color.. But I'd love to have shiny Giratina. Good luck either way.

I'm waiting for Platinum to chain for shiny Marill, Gligar, Houndour, etc. So yeah, dry spell for me. <_<

Gunners

wants Arsenal to pwm everyone!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2009
    I need some help shiny hunting. I fail at it the most i've ever got is 18 O_o -____- anyway it always breaks i go into patches that are the same and which is the furthest away but i always get a bidoof or sumthing coming help please?

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Well, don't follow the "furthest patch" method. It's faulty.

I would recommend you watching this video and use the "4th ring" method, as it's more efficient. Keep in mind that it's not 100% perfect; there are certain patterns that will break your chain. You can view them here.

If you're still a beginner, try chaining Electrike/Magnemite with Static/Magnet Pull in the front of your party. Even when you mess up, you still have a 70% of seeing said pokemon and continuing your chain.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2009
    I need a more specific answer. Do I need to reset before I see the sprite, or do I rest before I start the dialog to fight, or am I too late since I already entered the room to fight Daigla?

Shadow 3944

ODST Ground Soldier
    Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2009
    Quote time. Started this over at SPPF.

Things to Consider While Chaining: (by shadow3944)

1. The animation for the pokeradar grass patches appear above the fog. (Very useful for people chaining Bagon)
    2. For Chaining in the sandstorm, be in a very dark place, have your DS (Preferably a DS Lite) on highest light setting, and have it be around 11 Am. It should be very bright and easier to see the grass patches. You can also tilt the screen a little to semi-invert the colors and see better.
    3. Every chain breaks for some reason. (Yes, they all do. It's in the coding.)
    4. Magnet Pull attracts Steel type pokemon.
    5. Static attracts Electric type pokemon.
    6. Synchronize attracts pokemon with the same nature as the pokemon with Synchronize.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

And Merbear's guide as well.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Follow the rules, discuss and good luck on your chains!​

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    i only got 1 shiny in all my gaming time on all my games so far..
    it was when i was breeding some phione for a forum event

one of them hatched and it was a shiny :)

chaining is still a bit hard for me... and can't chain on charmanders, so i'm breeding eggs for it (almost filled a second box)

i'll put them in the farm on my wii, it'll grow like crazy ^^

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    shinies, odds and numbers

Hey people,

I just got a bit interest in mathematical stuff again, as i was wondering about the odds of shinies

As most of you people know, every time you see / get a pokemon, there is a chanse of 1 in 8192 that it is shiny.

Now some people start thinking;
    If i see 8192 pokemon, there should be at least one shiny right?

Well, it's a bit different:

Let's say we do come across 8192 pokemon, then the chance that they are all non-shinies is about 36.7857%.
    So, there is 63.2143% chance on hitting at least one shiny :) .
    But, the chance that just one of them is a shinie is about the same, 36.7902% (just a tad higher)
    Two shinies: 18,3951%
    Three shinies: 6,1309%
    Four shinies: 1,5324%

If you add these odds, you're getting close to the full 100%, meaning that the chance on 5 and up is very very slim.

It's impossible to calculate the number of pokemon you need to come across in order to have 100% chance of getting at least one shiny, as that number would be infinite (we're working on odds here!).

Yet, we could try to get close:
    The chance of 99%, that at least one is shiny, would require you to meet about 37 723 pokémon.

If eny of you got questions about how to calculate odds or got certain calculation requests, go ahaid and ask :)

Happy hunting!

-------------
    This topic was moved, I wasn't shure would it fit here as it was mostly about which and how meny shinies you got etc..
    Sorry for the inconvenience

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2016
    omg, i have... a shiny... ESPEON!!! :D im sooooo proud!!!

Congrats! it was my first shiny I chained for ever and is still my favorite pokemon! I just got a shiny Skitty off a chain of 13! Man my luck has increased ten fold lately! Yay me! :D If it wasn't for my pair convincing me to go for it, I wouldn't have my skitty today. Thanks man.

Tac One

OWN new Emld, Sapp and FR & LG
    Years
    When hatching eggs, if the egg hatches normal, can you soft reset if you saved before it hatched to get a shiny?

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    I've heard the shinyness of the pokemon from an egg is determined when the egg is created, so when the daycare man gets it, or gives it to you,
    In either case, you need to hatch new eggs to check for a shiny the whole time. Saving won't work.

At least, I hope that's right caus I've spent a lot of time completely hatching dozens of eggs

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2016
    Last night caught two shiny pachirisu out of a chain of 76! My highest chain yet! :D

ParadoxJester

Dread Pirate
    Years
    My first shiny

I've never caught one until the other day. I was on my way to catch my swarm of the day, smoochum I think it was, and I was walking to the lake when boom I hit a random battle. Stupid pokemon in my way but I'll spare it's life so I can be on my way. Then it hit me. This Snover looks different. Did I just see a sparkle? I couldn't remember so I had to look it up. It was! A shiny Snover decided to run my way. Caught him very easily as I had my False Swipe Zangoose with me and there you have it.

Other shinies I've gotten from trades mainly are

Deoxys
    Glaceon
    Houndour
    Charmander

Snover was the first legit I caught though which made me happy cause I never even saw a shiny in the wild before that.

Gunners

wants Arsenal to pwm everyone!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2009
    Cool, i was shiny hunting them but i forgot yesterday and now the swarm has gone :(

My first was a machop while EV training attack against them. Second in the chain all i had was majikarp and a lvl 60 fearow (machop was lvl 7) i freaked out lol and got it in a timer ball

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2016
    This morning I became the proud owner of a shiny Stunky at chain number 72! That was the most stubborn shiny ever. To think it took to chain 72 just to spit out one shiny! MADNESS!

SHINYCATCHER

I want a banana
    Years
    I have just caught my 301st different shiny a shiny rotom on my japanese platinum, all together that is my 682nd shiny with only ten coming from trades

My best shinies:
    *All starters
    *All legendarys except shaymin+(soon to be a pokemon)arceus
    *All swarm pokemon
    *All trophy garden pokemon

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    This morning I became the proud owner of a shiny Stunky at chain number 72! That was the most stubborn shiny ever. To think it took to chain 72 just to spit out one shiny! MADNESS!

You know that once you get to 40, the chance stops increasing? It's best to stop at 40, then just keep resetting the radar (while the chain is still going, charge and use it again) until you see a shiny...

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
    The Official Shiny Thread

My first shiny: Golbat

I caught it in "Victory Road" on Pokemon diamond about 5 minutes after reading about Shiny Pokemon in the "Prima Guide" funnily enough the example they use is a Golbat.
    Nothing too amazing but a shiny is a shiny, he remains UT and in my Pokemon Box.

Back