• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Pokemon Other People Use

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2016
    Oftentimes, when reading about other people's journeys, I always see the same Pokemon show up in teams over and over, and it's always one I hate. The two I've noticed most are Ampharos and Gardevoir.

Almost every Johto run I've read talks about how the Ampharos was the star player and how great it was. I remember them as that Electric type that had a horrible move set. I've never seen their worth, and it bothers me that everyone uses it. I actually saw someone called out on not using one in an Electric Monotype once. They didn't use it because of how many times they had used it in a regular play through, if I remember right. Heracross is also used a lot, but I would have used him if I ever actually found one XD.

In RSE I see Gardevoir all the time as well. I'd pick one up when I see them, but I never used one, probably because they come without any damaging moves, which threw me off them.

Anyone else have any Pokemon you see used all the time but hate them personally?

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
    Years
    I know I'm probably in the minority here but.. I really despise the eeveelutions but people seem to love them whereas I find them boring and annoying but that's different people's opinions I guess :)

Ps. I used to hate Ampharos too but then I used him once and now I love him, even used him in a solo-run too.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    ^ I agree about Scrafty. People are really into Krookodile too. It looks cool and it was okay when I used it, but I mean...nearly everyone is using it and it's just like "well lol k."

I'm one of those Gardevoir abusers myself. I enjoy using it even though it gets a slow start. I almost always end up with one when I play RSE, and it's honestly unintentional. lol

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I always use Ampharos in Johto, ever since Pokemon Gold where I was stressing I wouldn't be able to find a decent Electric Pokemon and then it just jumped out at me after I beat Falkner. Their speed isn't great but the rest is alllll goooood.

It really bugs me how many Dark-type Pokemon you meet in Trainer battles in Unova. The Sandile evolutionary line and the Purrloin one are just everywhere, as well as Scraggy and the like. Scraggy and Scrafty in particular are VERY annoying. I refuse to go through Unova with a Psychic Pokemon anymore, because they're absolutely useless there. The amount of times my Gothitelle was wiped off the floor started to really bug me.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I always use Ampharos in Johto, ever since Pokemon Gold where I was stressing I wouldn't be able to find a decent Electric Pokemon and then it just jumped out at me after I beat Falkner. Their speed isn't great but the rest is alllll goooood.

It really bugs me how many Dark-type Pokemon you meet in Trainer battles in Unova. The Sandile evolutionary line and the Purrloin one are just everywhere, as well as Scraggy and the like. Scraggy and Scrafty in particular are VERY annoying. I refuse to go through Unova with a Psychic Pokemon anymore, because they're absolutely useless there. The amount of times my Gothitelle was wiped off the floor started to really bug me.

Most of my friends have told me that Fighting is the new Psychic in B/W - OP enough to wipe the game with, which is why Emboar seems so much more powerful for in-game battle than so many other Pokemon.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
    I confess... I'm one of those people who use Ampharos and Gardevoir a lot. I don't even really like the latter in combat, I just like its design. Plus, I usually have this trend of having a psychic type on my team... and it's one of the earliest ones you can catch in its respective generation.

Pokemon I see on teams a lot, though, that I just never understood the appeal for... Houndoom. I remember trying to use one on my team once because of its fire typing... but I discovered I didn't like him at all. And Absol, too. Don't like its typing, but did try to use it once and found it completely overrated in my opinion.

I don't get Scrafty, either. Its design is creepy looking and I used it like... in one battle before I decided to toss it in the PC.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I've seen a lot of Serperiors in people's teams. It's nothing personal, but I'm not very fond of it after seeing its stats and moves.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
    If you ask me, serperior's design is a complete letdown compared to Snivy's

Here in the Netherlands, I was the only one among my friends who used Gardevoir and Ampharos, and I still love them.

Pokemon I think are overrated:

Pidgeot
    The dang pigeon EVERYBODY caught and raised in Kanto and Johto, boy was I glad they kicked him out of Hoenn.

Mightyena
    With Pidgeot gone, my friends all decided to raise him, because he looked cool and was "strong" Honestly, I prefer Houndoom and Absol.

Weavile, Lucario
    Almost Mandatory pokes on every DPPt game I've seen. Though Lucario is cool, he's way too overused. I didn't put Staraptor here, because there were many people who boycotted him because he's "a Pidgeot Clone".

Oh and Legendaries of course, The only Legendaries I've actually trained -and liked- are Kyogre (first time playing sapphire) and Latios (Frontier pwnage).

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    Weavile . . . . rrgh. And Aerodactyl too, to a lesser extent. But Weavile was always the one that everybody but me used - that and Garchomp. I have a Weavile and a Garchomp, yes, but I never use them in competitive battle because they're quite low levels. Also, I never bothered to breed them for IVs, or natures or anything, so they're pretty bad.

Actually, most of my Pokemon are pretty bad. :(

Punnagg

Advanced Spriter
    Years
    I just hate those pokemons who are found at start of game like
    In Gen I - Rattata
    In Gen II - Sentret
    In Gen III - Zigzagoon

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
    I despise it when people use any type of dragon. I have a deep-seeded hatred for dragons, don't jude meeee.

I liked using Ampharos. Well, I didn't play with it in the original Gold because I didn't like sheep at all. So I never even knew of it's last evo. I only soon found out about it's awesomness in HG. It's like the only electric pokemon that is good that early, unless you traded something from another game.

I never used Gardevoir.

I'm a krookodile lover, I admit to that. But I agree with the scrafty stuff. It's not that cool of a pokemon to me and it fainted way too many times when I tried to train one. I'll stick with krookodile, they're actually good. At least to me. :T

And I don't like most of the eevee evolutions. I like Vaporeon, but that's about it.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Yeah... I used Ampharos when I first played through Gold. BUT! When playing SoulSilver 10 years later, I told myself: no, you are not using that glorified sheep-lighthouse-thing with the crappy moveset and got me a Magnemite.

I've also used Scrafty in my recent Black showdown and it was... disappointing to say the least. I really, really liked its type combination, but until it learned Brick Break it was virtually unusable. I assumed it'd get better upon evolution, but nothing! Scraggy is pretty much just as crap as Scrafty!

With regards to Pokemon that OTHER people use, I've never really understood the use of any of the Eeveelutions besides Espeon and, maybe, Jolteon. Maybe it's just residue from Gen I, but Vaporeon and Flareon always seemed so crap, Leafeon just inherits my anti-Grass bias, and Glaceon just seems so meh! And Grass Pokemon: don't see why anyone would use them, with the possible of exception of Cradily, which I like for some weird-ass reason!

Years
    Ever since its creation, I was of the opinion Lucario can go to hell and burn for all eternity, but most people appear to have a different opinion on that thing.

Also never been a big fan of Pidgey. It never did anything for me in RBY besides being horrible against everything, so if I did get an early bird, it always was Spearow. Or, maybe even more often, Dux - if Vermilion still counts as early, that is.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Yeah, I always see people using Scrafty, and like alot of posts on this thread I think it's kinda over-rated, It's base Stat total isn't all that good and it's apperance could be better.

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2022
    one pokemon that has been bugging me recently is vanilluxe... i understand that its got some really good stats and everything, but its a fricking living, breathing ice cream cone. does that not bug people? I think im usually pretty lenient on pokemon, but they couldve come up with some seriously better designs than that.

Tox

fight me
    Years
    Eeveelutions, Azumarill, Luxray, Staraptor, Vanilluxe and Swanna.
    The Ducklett in my sig is only there because everyone else keeps fainting since I suck at Black and White.

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
    Vanilliuxe and its prevos get used far too much in White. Sheesh. I mean, they're okay design-wise and all, but it's annoying to see in over and over and freaking over again.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    Those darn Watchogs. It's like everybody has them in-game. ><

I also dislike the elemental monkeys. I guess it's their design... I just don't like 'em. None of them. (And I don't like Scrafty too much either. Scraggy is kind of cute, but... It's evolution's ugly. :\)

Back