• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The PokeWalker Discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleVision1999

Commander
Years
  • I think the idea of that Pokewalk thingy is kinda nice. The colorless screen feels nostalgic and it's like having one of your dear Pokemon always in your pocket (like a Pokeball xD ).
    I don't really need it but...I still want it cuz' it seems to be a funny little addition. Hopefully it won't be too expensive (I'd like it to be free or cheaper for Pre-orderers) and hopefully, HOPEFULLY it won't be japan-exclusive. But I don't see a good reason why it would be.
    Comparing it with the Celebi event is maybe not correct. I heard it was only in Japan because they had more and more modern cellphones there (japanese are crazy 'bout their "Keitei"). And we got this Pikachuthings, so I'd guess this one, too.
    I'm more concerned about europe...we always get things last (if at all :( )

*Nayz*

a.k.a L_Judah
    Years
  • Wouldn't surprise me if it didn't hit the U.S. but you never know, especially since that'd mean more money. I actually thought the idea was kind of cool.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Once ut comes out in Europe i'm happy!!
    I really dout it though. I cant imagine our stores stoking games with extras and charging the same as normal! Its a really cool idea i just think it wilkl be a special edition in japan only. Imagine how many they would need to make!! Millions and millions!!

Years
  • I would love it if the poke-walk did make it's way round the earth in 80,000 steps(i kno corny)
    and it would be awesome especially if it did lvl ur pokes as u walked (obesity rates across the world plumet{headlines all papers) It would get you out and about rather than sitting on your......... all day.

EagleVision1999

Commander
    Years
  • Hmm, I would think it comes out. I mean, the Pikachu thingies made it to the U.S., too, right (even in europe, what a wonder! /sarcasm )
    And the printer and so on (I list those because just like the Pokewalk, you cuold connect it with the games. Pikachu Pet 2 could be connected with G/S I think).
    It's not essential but I think it's fun so I'd most likely get it if it comes out.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I do know that whether it comes out in the US or other countries besides Japan, it'll be quite a big sale. Seeing what it can do, and promote exercise for children, I don't think some parents might say no into buying this product. It is very benficial in both ways, and for some reason I believe the Wii's experience had a small play into bringing this PokéWalk item back. It is beneficial to all, as us, the players get our Pokémon's levels higher and happier. With this being said, I think it's a big plus for those who don't like to train and for those who need Pokémon to evolve early through their happiness level to learn a certain move. For the parents, they get their kid exercise, whether it be shaking the item with your hand or really walking about. I know that if I do get this [probably not] I'll be taking a lot more jogs with my dog around places just to increse my Pokémon to get stronger.

If this takes in account EV's as well after you want your Pokémon to reach Level 100, then this will be a larger bonus to many other game players that I would think. As for it being released outside of Japan, I'd say there is always a chance. Whether it be brought in by people who buy it online, or whether Nintendo distributes it world-wide. I do think they might if they're looking for the extra money though, and to promote more sales in HeartGold and SoulSilver as well. I'm definitely glad though as it brings back a large feel of naostalgia to many players who had the older Pikachu version of this.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    ...As much as I would enjoy seeing such a device bundled with HeartGold and SoulSilver upon their release, or even added as a pre-release bonus, I am doubting that this will be the case unless Nintendo does the same as they did with the Wireless Adapter back when FireRed and LeafGreen were released. For one, using it as a pre-release bonus would be rather pointless unless it held some sort of compatibility with Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, as it would otherwise be a useless device until HeartGold and SoulSilver were released. There is also how these appear to be a bit too...high-tech of a bonus for a company that has been focusing on using coins and plastic toys for such in recent years.

Also...am I actually the only one here to see just how abusable such a device would be? The older Pokemon Pikachu devices also ran on a pedometer system, and they were very easy to increase the count on simply by shaking them. If the PokeWalk actually increases experience and happiness for every "step" taken, then all one would need to do to dramatically raise the selected Pokemon's level is shake the device. That would not only grant access to an overpowered starter with little work, but depending on the rate of increase, it might overshadow more traditional leveling methods entirely. This is not even taking into account any of the other potential bonuses that the PokeWalk might come with, such as the rumored item collection.

yaminokame

やみのかめ
    Years
  • ...As much as I would enjoy seeing such a device bundled with HeartGold and SoulSilver upon their release, or even added as a pre-release bonus, I am doubting that this will be the case unless Nintendo does the same as they did with the Wireless Adapter back when FireRed and LeafGreen were released. For one, using it as a pre-release bonus would be rather pointless unless it held some sort of compatibility with Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, as it would otherwise be a useless device until HeartGold and SoulSilver were released. There is also how these appear to be a bit too...high-tech of a bonus for a company that has been focusing on using coins and plastic toys for such in recent years.

Also...am I actually the only one here to see just how abusable such a device would be? The older Pokemon Pikachu devices also ran on a pedometer system, and they were very easy to increase the count on simply by shaking them. If the PokeWalk actually increases experience and happiness for every "step" taken, then all one would need to do to dramatically raise the selected Pokemon's level is shake the device. That would not only grant access to an overpowered starter with little work, but depending on the rate of increase, it might overshadow more traditional leveling methods entirely. This is not even taking into account any of the other potential bonuses that the PokeWalk might come with, such as the rumored item collection.

Though we don't know about how it will come out in other countries, in Japan it will come out with the game itself (you buy the game, you get the peodemeter) I really don't think it's going to be THAT easy to abuse it, plus there is always the possibility that you will not be able to hook up to it until you beat the elite four :/ If you were to shake a Pokemon from lvl 5 to 20, you would need around 7875 shakes (that is assuming that the exp type gain for the pokemon is level^3, and starters have a little bit more exp per level than level^3), and that would get annoying after a while.

Years
  • Though we don't know about how it will come out in other countries, in Japan it will come out with the game itself (you buy the game, you get the peodemeter) I really don't think it's going to be THAT easy to abuse it, plus there is always the possibility that you will not be able to hook up to it until you beat the elite four :/ If you were to shake a Pokemon from lvl 5 to 20, you would need around 7875 shakes (that is assuming that the exp type gain for the pokemon is level^3, and starters have a little bit more exp per level than level^3), and that would get annoying after a while.

i never actually considered the possibility of abusing it until you said so. So I agree that it will most likely only work after the elite four.

MunchingOrange

The Orange Empire Strikes Back
    Years
  • This PokeWalk thing sounds sketchy, I mean, if it really levels up Pokemon, that would mean I could shake the heck out of it and raise my Pokemon to Lvl 100 in minutes...

yaminokame

やみのかめ
    Years
  • This PokeWalk thing sounds sketchy, I mean, if it really levels up Pokemon, that would mean I could shake the heck out of it and raise my Pokemon to Lvl 100 in minutes...

True, however, next to NOTHING has been confirmed about the PokeWalker... All we know is that it exists, walking levels up pokemon and gives them happiness, and that there are minigames. NOW looking at the information we have:

The fine members of GameFreak are NOT stupid. I think they have proved that well enough themselves... Maybe, just possibly the minigames are a part of the pedometer's normal cycle. As you walk, you run into Pokemon, and are given the option to do battle with them (thanks to the sentret picture) The reason that I feel that everyone is wrong in thinking that you can just shake it a million times and get a level 100 is because if you look back at the video, Pikachu is walking off of the screen. Maybe once it goes offscreen you run into a minigame or something like that, where you HAVE to make a choice wheter you would like to continue with the minigame, OR keep walking. If that were the case, then no matter how many times you "abused" the system, it would only count so far, and then give you the option for a minigame. There are tons of ways around shaking it way the heck up to level 100... just because it works like a pedometer doesn't mean that it has to be exactly the same as a normal pedometer that you can pick up at a store...

Years
  • hopefully there are some items you get are only achievable from using the PokeWalk.
    Even though i doubt they will make versions out of Japan, ill would buy one if they do
    its kinda fun

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2014
    WAit, what the heck is this thing. What's the deal about it. What does it do? This is the first time I've heard of this.

Years
  • The PokeWalker Speculation Thread

What interesting news Pokemon Sunday released yesterday!

Unless you've been living under a rock which it under a rock, you would of heard of the newset addition to Pokemon technology, the Pokewalker!

The PokeWalker Discussion thread.

It's a portable way of taking your Pokemon with you without the game system. With the PokeWalker, you can walk with your Pokemon, helping them gain Happines and not to mention Experiece Points!

So far, there is no word on whether it will be outside America! I sure hope it will!

Now, I've already said too much! Start Speculating!

yaminokame

やみのかめ
    Years
  • WAit, what the heck is this thing. What's the deal about it. What does it do? This is the first time I've heard of this.

It is a pokeball shaped pedometer that will be included when you buy HG/SS. It was announced on the last Pokemon Sunday. You transfer one of your Pokemon from HG/SS to it, and then you can level it up by walking around with it. As it levels up, it also gains happiness. They will also have little minigames for it, even though we do not know how all of these will fit together in the end. That is about all we know about it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back