• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Quick Q&A Thread

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
Years

How to use this thread

This thread is for quick questions and problems relating to art in any way. From advice to ratings, everything will be offered here. Particularly good questions and topics will be placed in the FAQ board for easy access.

FAQ:

They're more like Guidelines...

• A&D rules all apply
  • Please keep things civil. All criticism should be backed up with improvements and advice
  • If you don't know how to respond to a post, let someone else do it. Don't spam the thread.
  • Be respectful; people put a lot of effort into their art.

So basically...

Got a problem figuring out a tool on Photoshop? Or perhaps you want advice on certain effects? Whatever your problem is, post a question here, and others can come and answer your question! This saves all those annoying quick question threads and one piece rating threads. If you are struggling to choose between two pieces, that also goes here.
This thread can be used for:
  • Quick Questions and Answers
  • Asking about techniques or styles
  • Individual piece ratings
  • General advice related to art
  • Requests that aren't covered in any shop
Basically, anything related to art and design can go in here, that doesn't belong in a gallery, shop or the DCC.
I'm hoping this thread will go towards helping keep A&D clean of those small clutter threads, and will also help those looking for help get an answer quickly, to keep them making more art! Tutorials and Resources can also be found in the appropriate thread, but if you don't find what you're looking for there, you can always ask here. Be sure to check out Resources and Tutorials first, and then any questions will gladly be answered!

Last edited:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
Hey all,

I wanted to get some feedback on my current signature. I made it myself, but I'm still not very well-versed in designing graphics and such. I'm happy with the background, but I feel like it still lacks depth. Anyone have any advice?
1.%20smile.gif

^this :)

Edit:

My sig will be in flux for a bit, as I'll be tweaking and updating it, so for legacy purposes here's the original in all its mediocre newbish glory:

cf7RyyI.png
H486JFJ
H486JFJ

Last edited:

Circuit

Years
Ok so, I appreciate that this is more of a css-based signature than a designed one, but I personally think that a signature like this would have worked better as a single tag. Some immediate things that come to mind are things like the text, the focus and the background not fitting together at all.

Text is always hard, and is one of the finer points of making a signature. If you want to get into it (and I recommend it, because I find it fun and immensely satisfying) then I wouldn't worry too much about text at first, because it is definitely one of the hardest points about at tag, and even amazing designers take a long time to sort out the text.

The background is good, and might look a lot better if rotated a bit. The background often needs to fit with the focus in terms of aspects such as lighting, flow and depth, though the latter is mostly achieved by effects, brushing, blurring and smudging. The background lacks any real light source that complements your focus, and as such feels very detached from your focus. There is also the issue that your background is sharper than your focus; your focus is quite blurry, and loses the attention it should be attracting. The background gains all of the attention. Often backgrounds are blurred in some way to create depth between the focus and it. You could also set the light source and darken around that to create more depth.

Your focus is bland compared to the background. What I mean here is that your background is more vibrant, and completely outshines your focus in a lot of ways. Often any brightness improvements or colour adjustments that happen to your background also happen to your focus. This only really can happen when you make the signature as a whole, and not as two pictures on top of one another. I think something you really should look at (and I encourage you to since a new sig designer would be great to have around here) is the Tutorials and Resource thread, and have a run through a couple of the tutorials there, and post your results.

Last thing I'll say; the two images you have besides are broken, and don't show up for me. I don't know how this is for you, but I would recommend re-uploading the images through something like imgur and using those images.

Hopefully that is somewhat insightful and helpful!

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
Ok so, I appreciate that this is more of a css-based signature than a designed one, but I personally think that a signature like this would have worked better as a single tag. Some immediate things that come to mind are things like the text, the focus and the background not fitting together at all.

Text is always hard, and is one of the finer points of making a signature. If you want to get into it (and I recommend it, because I find it fun and immensely satisfying) then I wouldn't worry too much about text at first, because it is definitely one of the hardest points about at tag, and even amazing designers take a long time to sort out the text.

The background is good, and might look a lot better if rotated a bit. The background often needs to fit with the focus in terms of aspects such as lighting, flow and depth, though the latter is mostly achieved by effects, brushing, blurring and smudging. The background lacks any real light source that complements your focus, and as such feels very detached from your focus. There is also the issue that your background is sharper than your focus; your focus is quite blurry, and loses the attention it should be attracting. The background gains all of the attention. Often backgrounds are blurred in some way to create depth between the focus and it. You could also set the light source and darken around that to create more depth.

Your focus is bland compared to the background. What I mean here is that your background is more vibrant, and completely outshines your focus in a lot of ways. Often any brightness improvements or colour adjustments that happen to your background also happen to your focus. This only really can happen when you make the signature as a whole, and not as two pictures on top of one another. I think something you really should look at (and I encourage you to since a new sig designer would be great to have around here) is the Tutorials and Resource thread, and have a run through a couple of the tutorials there, and post your results.

Last thing I'll say; the two images you have besides are broken, and don't show up for me. I don't know how this is for you, but I would recommend re-uploading the images through something like imgur and using those images.

Hopefully that is somewhat insightful and helpful!

Very insightful and helpful is more like it ^^

That all makes sense. I admit, I put the background through a sharpening filter because I liked the way it made the background look, but I didn't think about the effect it'd have on the focus. So would you recommend blurring the background, or sharpening the focus? Or both?

I haven't experimented much with light sources, but I'll give it a try because it always feels like there's something "missing" from all my sigs that I can never put my finger on, and I think that's it. I'd love to get some more practice though, I'll check out those tutorials!

Also, what are the two missing images you were referring to?

Circuit

Years
Spoiler:

you see them? At the top in the middle? I'm not sure what that's about but hey.

There's a lot still to improve on your newest sig, and I would highly recommend trying out those tutorials first, and then I'll give you more advice when you've done that, because there is still a lot I could advise you on, but it'll be easier once you've read through everything and understand how a piece is constructed at its finer points.

EDIT: I found the problem with your previous sig. You had two img tags linked to imgur, but they didn't give the image, just the page.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • she / they
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
GV5I6Ey.png

Anyone got advice on how to improve this? The wrappings look a bit off, but idk how to fix it.

First off, the blade is too stubby, which may be why you feel like the hilt looks weird -- unless of course this is based off of a disproportionate sword. Look at existing swords and adjust your blade length accordingly. Right now it's too wide. Definitely use a reference!

Second, your shading. It accurate in that it's coming from the same direction and you did well capturing that, but it's still too... 2-D. Swords aren't flat, they have curves and ridges that need to be embellished with shading/highlighting to give it more depth. More than just what general lighting will do.

I did a real quick redraw to better explain what I mean.

FVNZsta.png

*Keep in mind I did increase the color count. Sorry it's messy. :(

The same applies for the hand guard and the blade itself. It's just flat looking. But! The good news is that you do have the basics down, and from that it's easy to build.

Lastly, your color ramp is too bland. Right now your palette extends from pale to saturated, which works, but lends to your piece's flatness. I encourage you to experiment with colors. Instead of going "light to dark" try playing with hues. For example:
VV9755H.png

I've given it more oranges, yellows, and greens (while keeping the same color count) to accentuate the different parts of the hilt that I want the viewer to notice. Your eye still registers the color as "gold", but not as many of the colors actually are a derivative of yellow. Play with colors to add depth. You'll be surprised the combinations you'll come up with!

I hope this was helpful! :)

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
Years
First off, the blade is too stubby, which may be why you feel like the hilt looks weird -- unless of course this is based off of a disproportionate sword. Look at existing swords and adjust your blade length accordingly. Right now it's too wide. Definitely use a reference!

Second, your shading. It accurate in that it's coming from the same direction and you did well capturing that, but it's still too... 2-D. Swords aren't flat, they have curves and ridges that need to be embellished with shading/highlighting to give it more depth. More than just what general lighting will do.

I did a real quick redraw to better explain what I mean.

FVNZsta.png

*Keep in mind I did increase the color count. Sorry it's messy. :(

The same applies for the hand guard and the blade itself. It's just flat looking. But! The good news is that you do have the basics down, and from that it's easy to build.

Lastly, your color ramp is too bland. Right now your palette extends from pale to saturated, which works, but lends to your piece's flatness. I encourage you to experiment with colors. Instead of going "light to dark" try playing with hues. For example:
VV9755H.png

I've given it more oranges, yellows, and greens (while keeping the same color count) to accentuate the different parts of the hilt that I want the viewer to notice. Your eye still registers the color as "gold", but not as many of the colors actually are a derivative of yellow. Play with colors to add depth. You'll be surprised the combinations you'll come up with!

I hope this was helpful! :)
Oh trust me, it's based on a relatively disproportionate greatsword, haha.
Spoiler:

Otherwise, this is very helpful! Thank you, I'm gonna fix it as good as I can.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • she / they
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Ah, that is indeed a disproportionate sword, lol. I'd still make the blade of your pixel piece a little longer though, just to help balance it. The hand guard's length is almost half that of the blade, and according to the picture it would only be about 1/4th as long.

Keep posting updates! You're doing well and you're on the right track. :)

Gigadweeb

Years
Ah, that is indeed a disproportionate sword, lol. I'd still make the blade of your pixel piece a little longer though, just to help balance it. The hand guard's length is almost half that of the blade, and according to the picture it would only be about 1/4th as long.

Keep posting updates! You're doing well and you're on the right track. :)
Cheers dude. Another update, really happy with this for the most part but still feels a bit off, not sure what though. Tried to make the hilt/hand guard a bit smaller and the blade longer, to keep it more in the lines of the original proportions.

VyszVwr.png

Gigadweeb

Years
Alright, I really have no idea if I'm allowed to double post if this thread hasn't had a post in three days, so mods strike me down if I'm not.

I completed another Primal sprite - this one is nearly 100% scratch, minus a couple of cross-references. (I have no idea if that makes sense in that sense)

YbwNhJ2.png

Please r8 no h8 m8s

Circuit

Years
Cheers dude. Another update, really happy with this for the most part but still feels a bit off, not sure what though. Tried to make the hilt/hand guard a bit smaller and the blade longer, to keep it more in the lines of the original proportions.

VyszVwr.png

It looks a lot better, imo, but one thing I would say is make the shading less... curved? Swords aren't usually round, they're straight, so a sharper shadow would look better here.

Alright, I really have no idea if I'm allowed to double post if this thread hasn't had a post in three days, so mods strike me down if I'm not.

I completed another Primal sprite - this one is nearly 100% scratch, minus a couple of cross-references. (I have no idea if that makes sense in that sense)

YbwNhJ2.png

Please r8 no h8 m8s

I'd say here the problem is that the wings and face of Kyogre are quite deformed. The tail fins are also disproportional. If you sort out the tail fins, the wings and the head, it could look better. Kyogre is a difficult Pokémon to sprite, since its shape is quite complicated. It relies heavily on outlines and shading. I would advise you to take some reference from the in-game sprite and clean it up a little.

Years
  • Age 33
  • she / they
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024

You're all good in my book man. :)

YbwNhJ2.png

Please r8 no h8 m8s

This one is much, much better than your Groudon sprite. Where this one is versus where your Primal Groudon sprite started is miles ahead, so definitely be proud.

But! There's still work to be done. First, your color count is still pretty high at 27. If you want your sprites to look authentic, stay at or just over/under 16 colors. I know each color seems essential, but I promise you can skim them back and your eye won't be able to tell the difference.

For instance, I've brought this from 27 to 19 colors, is there honestly a visual difference?
KBhgR1r.png

The sprite fundamentally looks the same.

However, don't feel like you need to play by the rules either. Color counting only helps lend to different styles of pixel art, and if you're imitating Pokemon, having a set amount of colors makes the sprite look more legit. But I've made sprites that are waaaay above general Pokemon color counts because that's how I have fun spriting. It really all depends on what you want from your pixel art, so never be afraid to experiment!

Lastly, your colors are a little washed out. If you want your sprite to stand out, make sure it has contrast. Make those yellows bright and those blues deep!

That's all I got for now. Your outline is way stronger in this one and it's clear you listened to our advice. Your hard work is paying off. :)

Last edited:

Gigadweeb

Years
It looks a lot better, imo, but one thing I would say is make the shading less... curved? Swords aren't usually round, they're straight, so a sharper shadow would look better here.

I'd say here the problem is that the wings and face of Kyogre are quite deformed. The tail fins are also disproportional. If you sort out the tail fins, the wings and the head, it could look better. Kyogre is a difficult Pokémon to sprite, since its shape is quite complicated. It relies heavily on outlines and shading. I would advise you to take some reference from the in-game sprite and clean it up a little.

You're all good in my book man. :)

This one is much, much better than your Groudon sprite. Where this one is versus where your Primal Groudon sprite started is miles ahead, so definitely be proud.

But! There's still work to be done. First, your color count is still pretty high at 27. If you want your sprites to look authentic, stay at or just over/under 16 colors. I know each color seems essential, but I promise you can skim them back and your eye won't be able to tell the difference.

For instance, I've brought this from 27 to 19 colors, is there honestly a visual difference?
KBhgR1r.png

The sprite fundamentally looks the same.

However, don't feel like you need to play by the rules either. Color counting only helps lend to different styles of pixel art, and if you're imitating Pokemon, having a set amount of colors makes the sprite look more legit. But I've made sprites that are waaaay above general Pokemon color counts because that's how I have fun spriting. It really all depends on what you want from your pixel art, so never be afraid to experiment!

Lastly, your colors are a little washed out. If you want your sprite to stand out, make sure it has contrast. Make those yellows bright and those blues deep!

That's all I got for now. Your outline is way stronger in this one and it's clear you listened to our advice. Your hard work is paying off. :)

Thank you for the help, both of you. I tried to fix up the disproportional tail fins and the weird-ass face and wings, although I probably didn't do too well, haha. Gonna leave the colours as they are, though - the official artwork shows the colours as a bit washed out. Might fix up the Groudon and Moonlight Greatsword and then move onto Rayquaza.

vonbtap.png

Cheers, lads.

Years
The form still needs some smoothing out, I'd say. The body has a few "bumps" here and there that make it look less fluent. The fins don't have the same form and the one further away from the viewer seems to be attached too high.

I drew some red lines to visualise what I mean :> I hope it helps! If I changed it too much/misunderstood your intended pose then in that case forgive me and disregard this haha

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2017
Hello friends.

I've been trying to modify the FR/LG trainer backsprite to change the head, but am having trouble rendering a convincing bandanna with a knot at the back. I feel like I need a reference or some kind of help to get this right. Here is what I have so far

View attachment 76001

And here is my reference image that I'm adapting.

WkkCQZl.png

My particular problem is the knot. I think I can fashion a second ribbon, but the knot is giving me a hard time.

Years
Is there a particular secret as to why the front of the bandana is black, but the ...uhm.. straps of fabric hanging from it are white? Where does the color change from black to white?
A knot (at least on a not too detailed pic) can be portrait by simply a kind of small orb. It's important that all four parts of fabric seem to go into/out of that glob, so the bandana has to become noticable smaller when approching the glob. The straps also are crumbled as well next to the knot, so they also are smaller near the glob. Oh, and somehow the straps should come out of the knot on the sides, I think. Usually that's how you bind a piece of cloth.
Because I'm not sure, I can find the right words, um, I made a sketch: ... i59. tinypic. com / 5p3qr6.jpg

Also since he's not wearing a hat, the head should be a bit smaller in height (it should look round). And then you probably should also move the bandana a bit down. On your front sprite it's just above the eyes and if you ever tried knotting any kind of ...scarf around your head, you might know that keeping the back part above your earline is pretty impossible (the critical point is the one where you have some kind of knob/bump on the back of your head). I think the RSE male char backsprite has an ok line as to what angle a bandana can have - use the lower line as a reference though, that's the critical one in terms of falling of the head.

Ok, I hope some of this is understandable... If any isn't please ask, I'm really not used to give descriptions in english.

Last edited:
Years
Hey, guys!

I can't decide whether to add clouds to one of the digital paintings I'm working on at the moment. Any opinions?
(and if you see anything else needing to improve, feel free to throw that at me, too! :>)

BlueDragon91

I love my family!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 27, 2016
I have a request, please?
Can anyone make me a trainer card for my signature?
Details:
Trainer Card colors: All the colors of a Shiny Gyarados: Red, white, and tan. Get creative!
Trainer name: RedDragon.
Trainer: Jhoto or Kanto.
Pokemon:
1. Rayquaza.
2. Dialga.
3. Espeon.
4. Kyogre.
5. Zapdos.
6. Charizard.
Badges, if you got room after all else.: All Kanto.

Back