• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Quick Q&A Thread

Years
That's beautiful pics queeniewolf. I'm personally a huge fan of outlines, as I think these make it easier to distingish image parts, so I feel your image lacks a bit of contrast. Most noteable on the bright pink parts of the rabbit (ear&foot).

The scenery feels a bit contratictory to me: Grass looks as if it was middle of the day (high brightness, high saturation, rather bright green color), sky & shadows look as though it was evening. No matter what time I feel you need to make shadows more dark. Evening would have less sharp shading, but generally image should be a bit less saturated and somewhat darker. Noon would have sharp, dark shadow (as on left stone).
I'm not that good at creating contrast in colored pictures either, but I think, this is improvable here.

The blue background w/o clouds provides some more contrast (color-wise) and the bunny is more point of focus. Image looks more like it's afternoon.
The clouds make the image look more full / more complete, because there's hardly any empty space left. Red is dominant color of image. Therefor contrast is lower. Image strongly implies that it's evening.

Right now I'd say the clear sky one is better, because clouds draw too much attention compared to bunny. But in generall I prefer not-empty sky. I think if you make the background less saturated (imo that is also more natural) and the bunny more contrasted (more shadows), that would look great too.

Years

Oh wow what a long comment! Thank you so much for your efforts!! :>

What you say definitely makes sense, I can see what you mean. Making shadows dark enough as always been something I'm weak at haha I guess I really need to get more daring with that!

I did feel like the background didn't quite have the right hue/colour for what I was going for ... you really helped me pin down what exactly I need to change, thanks a lot!

I enjoy working without outlines, so I guess we have to disagree about this point :P (not saying outlines generally look bad, I just prefer to go without them personally! I actually really enjoy awesome line work by others)
Bunny is definitely still lacking contrast ... but that's mainly because it's far from finished yet haha I just roughly planned out the shading and worked at bit more on the head

But again, thanks a lot! You helped me greatly :>

Years
  • Age 33
  • she / they
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Ooooh I do like those clouds. It fills up that empty space in the top left.

+1 for clouds

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
Years
*Rules have been updated. Requests that don't fit any any shop may now be posted here. Be sure to check the currently open shops first though!*

[Placeholder for responses to questions not already answered]

Years
I have a sprite to show off myself. It's a backsprite of Nate in the RSE style for RSE/FRLG games. When I like this one I'll do the whole battleback animation.
dvhekx.png

What do you think? I'm especially critical on the shading. I did the shading of the hair like four times, which was really some work. Would love to hear your opinions ^.^

Oh, this is my last workspace XD
Spoiler:

Circuit

Years
I have a request, please?
Can anyone make me a trainer card for my signature?
Details:
Trainer Card colors: All the colors of a Shiny Gyarados: Red, white, and tan. Get creative!
Trainer name: RedDragon.
Trainer: Jhoto or Kanto.
Pokemon:
1. Rayquaza.
2. Dialga.
3. Espeon.
4. Kyogre.
5. Zapdos.
6. Charizard.
Badges, if you got room after all else.: All Kanto.

Sorry I completely missed this x:

There are Trainer Card makers out there on the net should you need one immediately, but I have no skill in making them myself. For example, there is this one I found using good ol' Google. However, I don't think this covers exactly what you want but it could be decent enough until someone comes along to make you one? This isn't the best solution I know, and I'll try and work on one when I'm not drowning myself in projects and work.
Anyway, here's that link: http://pokecharms.com/trainer-card-maker/

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
[Request] Can someone help with an OC?

Can someone help me with a OC of mine?

I do have a description:
Cara the Sylveon
She looks like a normal Sylveon but her front right paw is blue instead of pink and she wears a crescent moon and star necklace

Thanks
Here is a picture
aufjpy.jpg

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • she / they
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Wait, do you want help with drawing your own OC, or do you want someone here to do it for you?

Years
Hey guys, I think this is kind of where I should put my question :P

I'd like to post some artwork, but it always appears with that white background that's super ugly. Here's for instance:
Helena.jpg

These are jpg's made with Photoshop.

I'd like to find a way to make it look soother on the forum. Is there a way to use transparency? Or if not is there a trick to frame the image?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Hey guys, I think this is kind of where I should put my question :P

I'd like to post some artwork, but it always appears with that white background that's super ugly. Here's for instance:
Helena.jpg

These are jpg's made with Photoshop.

I'd like to find a way to make it look soother on the forum. Is there a way to use transparency? Or if not is there a trick to frame the image?

You've gotten rid of all the white in the original image etc? Save as a .png file or something that preserves transparencies! It's the file itself rather than the place you're posting it.

Years
Can I get a bit of feedback on these sprites?
normal_ice_line_by_eternalreflux-d94hkyr.png

To me, I think I've got the style pretty much right to the official sprites but I've been criticised on the lack of colour experimentation as well as the first sprite resembling Rhyhorn too closely. Importantly, they are both Normal/Ice types, which should be conveyed but they are based off Pleistocene megafauna which are depicted as brown. I'm thinking the colours may be a bit too close to a hot-desert dweller (swapping the horn palletes with the shinies shows this). This is my final incarnation, the one I first made, where the criticisms were made originally was this:
normal_ice_line_alt_by_eternalreflux-d94hkz1.png

(It was heavily influenced by the Rhydon, Aggron and Nido lines, as well as Greymon for the second stage)

Any and all criticisms are welcome no matter how harsh, petty or small ("Offended" is something I find hard to be)
If it helps, they are based off [differs at each stage] an Elasmotherium, Smilodon, Yak, Ceratopsid and a Carnotaurus with elements Rats and Bears.
Thanks.

Really, I'm looking to see if this is acceptable as a fakemon, so if you don't think the design needs changes, that would also be a valuable opinion to me.

Last edited:

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
Years
Do you like my profile picture and signature?

I confess they were not self-made and I'm not much of a designer. I know some Photoshop basics and have once read a few magazines regarding graphical designing, but it's not something for me.

However, do you like my profile picture and signature? Is it creative or should I change it? Does it fit for a forum? What do you think?!

Years
  • Age 33
  • she / they
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Infinitum, I moved this over to the quick Q&A Thread. :)

I think your forum set is neat! You don't need to change a thing unless you want to. Your signature is especially cool. Though, if you ever do want a change in avatar/sig, you can go to one of any of the shops in A&D and we'll make one for you!

Circuit

Years

Right so these are already looking pretty good, but there are a couple of nitpicks I have about them.

The first one would be with your first sprite, the unevolved one, in that I feel there is a bit too much that you have tried to display, and the sprite appears overloaded, and of lower quality. Especially when it comes to the horns. There are so many, and the design has them so close, it looks a bit of a mess currently tbh. The colours also don't shout "Ice Type!" at me, which they should. I know it's based on a real creature, but Pikachu was based on a mouse and I don't know of many bright yellow mice, do you? It's good to take influence from something real, but you've also got to remember that not everyone will know of this beast, and looking at the Pokémon off the bat I don't assume it's an Ice type at all. That is something you need to think about I think.

The second point I have applies more to your second sprite, in that the quality of the horns and so on don't look fantastic. You need to work on creating a seamless flow from the horn to the head. Right now, it looks like it has been glued on, rather than actually having grown from the head. Also, the stripes on the body I think should be made a little thicker, and more visible. Right now they are hard to notice, and I do strain to make out all the detail on the sprite. Remember, sprites shouldn't really have a lot of fine detail, as it reduces the quality of the sprite. Instead, try and make every important detail clear, but don't overdo it. Hopefully this in some way helps you here, but is mostly my opinion, and as such others may disagree. They're not bad, they just need refining a fair amount, I feel. ^-^

Years
Hey guys I was wondering if there was a way to post images to a smaller size in a thread, and then if one likes he can click and see fullsize.

Like this?

Code:
[URL=http://www.pic-upload.de/view-28018792/ro2-wall2-1920x1080.jpg.html][IMG]http://www11.pic-upload.de/thumb/16.08.15/6boa6kigu7ax.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Back