• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PKMN OPEN] The Retaliators and The Downfall of Team Rocket [M] (OOC/SU)

Days
    • they/he
    • Seen today
    Maybe not all Pokémon, but at least a part of them, including most Psychic types ?
    I had thought you would be ok with Gracidea doing this, but we can always see about reworking it if you want to.
    Oh I'm still ok with it, Tal still fucked up and is learning a lesson. It's just an awkward situation if *all* pokemon are sentient. Like...that puts people who work as ranchers or herders or breeders of pokemon in an position of being more slave-owner like. If that makes sense?

Years
  • Oh I'm still ok with it, Tal still fucked up and is learning a lesson. It's just an awkward situation if *all* pokemon are sentient. Like...that puts people who work as ranchers or herders or breeders of pokemon in an position of being more slave-owner like. If that makes sense?
    Indeed, that would have been problematic.

Is it alright if I post Gracidea's answer here, or does someone else want to post something first ?

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • I was actually just about to ask if you'd like to respond first, because if not, I was going to. Cristina and Marcus haven't had a chance to get a say in this debate yet either, and considering one is now half-Pokemon and the other considers them more important to him than his own kind, I'd think they'd have some good points to make as well.

(Edit: Not sure if the 'like' means 'yeah I want to go next' or 'go ahead I'll wait'. I don't want to misinterpret which one you'd prefer)

Last edited:

saniachan

Second Violinist
    Years
  • Tal was a little taken aback as the gardevoir suddenly addressed him. What was she saying? He hadn't even said those words- Did she read his thoughts? The idea made him uncomfortable- it felt invasive, to have someone poking around in his mind. Years of having to work with others- humans and pokemon, often upset or scared- let him put aside his own defensiveness for a moment. Looking back on his own thought, he could see why it would be upsetting. It would hurt his feelings too, if someone implied he wasn't a real person. He had worked with Pokemon a lot, and many weren't like this Gardevoir. The mareep that his parents herded certainly weren't, and a lot of the pokemon he rescued as a ranger acted more like animals than humans. But Pokemon could vary in intelligence, and it was always important to treat them as individuals.

He raised his hands. "I'm sorry. That's not what I meant. Or, rather, I didn't express myself well. Pokemon are worthy of respect- I truly believe that, as a ranger." He knew it could vary, but sometimes he felt rangers could be even more aligned with pokemon than trainers, some of whom seemed to think pokemon were tools to be used or dominated. "Stylers don't capture like pokeballs do. They simply convey the ranger's intentions to a pokemon. When I use a styler on a pokemon, it tends to be for the pokemons own safety." It could range anywhere from pet skitty stuck in trees, to rescuing pokemon from a natural disaster like an earthquake. "Or to work together with them". He had befriended mudkip and buizel to put out fires. It made wild pokemon feel more like his neighbors. "I simply meant that, well... I wouldn't really have to use a styler to get my intentions across to someone like Christina, since we could communicate in words. Something that's possible for you as well, but not always with other wild pokemon. I have some practice talking with pokemon as well. But, well... it's not always feasible." Sure, an intelligent phsycic type like her was in a different league compared to gogoat wo got their heads stuck in fenceposts.
    Man, I think I need to delve into a ranger's mindset myself...

Don't get me wrong, though. This is my first time RP-ing as a ranger -- having previously did trainers and/or Pokemon before. I probably didn't play enough ranger games for this one. 🙃

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • Man, I think I need to delve into a ranger's mindset myself...

Don't get me wrong, though. This is my first time RP-ing as a ranger -- having previously did trainers and/or Pokemon before. I probably didn't play enough ranger games for this one. 🙃

Hey, nothing wrong with not having total knowledge of how a type of character works. If anything, it can help your character stand out from those who do, and you can always just say it's a part of your character's personality. (for example, I feel totally out of my depth in the other RP we're in together, but I play into that by having my character be okay with not knowing everything about the world, and use that as a means to let others have a chance to build stuff of their own. so maybe the rangers where Kaede is from just do or think things differently from the norm from rangers in other places, or maybe Kaede herself just does things differently in general. either way, I at least think you're doing a great job with her so far! ^^)

saniachan

Second Violinist
    Years
  • Hey, nothing wrong with not having total knowledge of how a type of character works. If anything, it can help your character stand out from those who do, and you can always just say it's a part of your character's personality. (for example, I feel totally out of my depth in the other RP we're in together, but I play into that by having my character be okay with not knowing everything about the world, and use that as a means to let others have a chance to build stuff of their own. so maybe the rangers where Kaede is from just do or think things differently from the norm from rangers in other places, or maybe Kaede herself just does things differently in general. either way, I at least think you're doing a great job with her so far! ^^)
    Aw, thank you! ^^

Iirc @Ranger_Lark once made a point of the rangers' different mindsets -- specifically when someone from a ranger-oriented region got thrust into a trainer-oriented one. So in this case, maybe I can twist Kaede's mindset with her, er, Ranseian perspective?

They will each get their own private suites, and yes.
    And speaking of private suites, will they be customisable to suit personal tastes?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I was actually just about to ask if you'd like to respond first, because if not, I was going to. Cristina and Marcus haven't had a chance to get a say in this debate yet either, and considering one is now half-Pokemon and the other considers them more important to him than his own kind, I'd think they'd have some good points to make as well.

(Edit: Not sure if the 'like' means 'yeah I want to go next' or 'go ahead I'll wait'. I don't want to misinterpret which one you'd prefer)
    You can go ahead.

Days
    • they/he
    • Seen today
    Iirc @Ranger_Lark once made a point of the rangers' different mindsets -- specifically when someone from a ranger-oriented region got thrust into a trainer-oriented one. So in this case, maybe I can twist Kaede's mindset with her, er, Ranseian perspective?

Admittedly, this is part of my personal headcanon and how I interpret the pokemon games. I personally struggle with mainline pokemon games, because the gameloop of catching and battling becomes repetitive and less interesting to me. I like New Pokemon Snap (where one is more like a naturalist or a researcher) and the pokemon ranger games (where one temporarily befriends wild pokemon, but (except for ones partner) they remain wild and, at least in the first game, can't be taken out of their native environment. there are still technically "battles" and captures, but they're more about calming a pokemon down than capturing or owning them. for me, personally, the mentality of interacting with pokemon like a park ranger rather than a trainer is more appealing. Of course, I'm proably reading into the "philosophy" of game mechanics more than intended for this kind of headcanon.

Also, there is a distinct difference between the pokemon ranger sidegames, and rangers in the mainline games. In the regular pokemon games, rangers are just a trainer class. They battle and capture and use pokeballs like any other trainer. I decided to make that a cultural difference between regions, but that's still mostly personal headcanon and not like... explicit game canon

Years
    • Online now
    I always thought of it as in like there's two different kinds of rangers, like the ranger trainers, are more like your classic park rangers, but the rangers from the ranger games are more than park rangers, seeing as they patrol, perform civic duties, and help both people and pokemon, I'd more say they'd fit in as a specialized classification of civil servant, like the police and fire departments, but on a larger scale, since they all receive direction from a region HQ, and usually stay in their jurisdiction unless something comes up. I would say that both the ranger trainers and the rangers in general both would have the same general mentality as each other, working with pokemon to accomplish a bigger goal, ranging from dealing with forest fires, to calming down another pokemon, and working together with their pokemon as partners, while trainers... well we've seen results varying, both in the shows and in some of the more recent games where trainers either see them as friends or simply a means to an end

Years
    • Online now
    I was actually just about to ask if you'd like to respond first, because if not, I was going to. Cristina and Marcus haven't had a chance to get a say in this debate yet either, and considering one is now half-Pokemon and the other considers them more important to him than his own kind, I'd think they'd have some good points to make as well.

hey question for ya, do you wanna go next ic or do you want me to go next?

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • hey question for ya, do you wanna go next ic or do you want me to go next?

I guess it would make sense for me? Since I haven't reacted to your transformation and all. But I was on Que-Up with other site members for around 12 hours yesterday and have a bunch of stuff to do today, so I'm not sure when I'll have a moment to post. Probably not for a good few hours at least, if I'm not too burned out. Otherwise it'll have to be tomorrow for me.

Years
    • Online now
    I guess it would make sense for me? Since I haven't reacted to your transformation and all. But I was on Que-Up with other site members for around 12 hours yesterday and have a bunch of stuff to do today, so I'm not sure when I'll have a moment to post. Probably not for a good few hours at least, if I'm not too burned out. Otherwise it'll have to be tomorrow for me.

alrighty, no worries, just wanted to check and make sure we were on the same page. thank you.

Back