• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Retro Appreciation Club

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
I grew up with Super Mario Bros. for the NES! A lot of great times before my dad and my mom were separated.We used to play each other all the time! Soon I grown accustomed to playing Super Mario bros. 3, and The Legend of Zelda. Well... back then, I still sucked at Mario games, ahaha. Zelda games was even worse - I was clueless on where to go. ;A;

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I grew up with Super Mario Bros. for the NES! A lot of great times before my dad and my mom were separated.We used to play each other all the time! Soon I grown accustomed to playing Super Mario bros. 3, and The Legend of Zelda. Well... back then, I still sucked at Mario games, ahaha. Zelda games was even worse - I was clueless on where to go. ;A;
Well that's really the idea of the early Zelda games, especially the original. The Game Grumps explained it well when they said that LoZ was most people's only game, they didn't have collections like people do now, and so they'd have to have one game that they would play over and over again. This was pretty much everyone's childhood pre-00's, so I'd say it's pretty relatable.

The Legend of Zelda intentionally drops you in this world which, at the time, was the most open experience in gaming. You weren't given any direction and you were only told how to do so much because they wanted the player to explore the world, find the secrets, and beat the game on their own. Nowadays, someone might just go to their computer and find out which dungeons to do and where all the secrets are, and that's a good deal of the reason that the majesty of Zelda 1 is lost on this generation of gamers. I don't think you can really enjoy the game as much this day and age because there are too many games at our disposal for cheap prices, info is too easy to come across, and there are too many games that have come so far from it's revolution. Nowadays, someone would either look up the stuff and play something else, but back then, people would devote time to exploring the vast new world for all it had and devote weeks, even months to the game and still have as much fun as they did whjn they started. Zelda 1 is timeless on its own, but you can't really experience the game the way that kid with 3 games on his NES in the 80s did. It's really unfortunate.

Years
Well that's really the idea of the early Zelda games, especially the original. The Game Grumps explained it well when they said that LoZ was most people's only game, they didn't have collections like people do now, and so they'd have to have one game that they would play over and over again. This was pretty much everyone's childhood pre-00's, so I'd say it's pretty relatable.

The Legend of Zelda intentionally drops you in this world which, at the time, was the most open experience in gaming. You weren't given any direction and you were only told how to do so much because they wanted the player to explore the world, find the secrets, and beat the game on their own. Nowadays, someone might just go to their computer and find out which dungeons to do and where all the secrets are, and that's a good deal of the reason that the majesty of Zelda 1 is lost on this generation of gamers. I don't think you can really enjoy the game as much this day and age because there are too many games at our disposal for cheap prices, info is too easy to come across, and there are too many games that have come so far from it's revolution. Nowadays, someone would either look up the stuff and play something else, but back then, people would devote time to exploring the vast new world for all it had and devote weeks, even months to the game and still have as much fun as they did whjn they started. Zelda 1 is timeless on its own, but you can't really experience the game the way that kid with 3 games on his NES in the 80s did. It's really unfortunate.

I agree completely. In fact there was an unfinished game series called SwordQuest on Atari 2600 that was devoted to finding secrets and solving mysteries within the game to enter a real competition to win real prizes. Nowadays it's not possible as it's too easy to look up and share information.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years

Oh I know that; I don't dislike the NES Zelda, if you were wondering. XD

In fact, I really like the one for NES, because yeah, it gives you this quest on doing everything on your own, while it provides little hints for you on the way. I like that part of the mystery of figuring out stuff on your own!

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Soooo... just for more discussion!

Do you still play any Retro Video Games today? What do you think of them compared to today's games?

Years
I do play retro games. Granted, they don't have the graphics of games today, but they're still fun to play and bring back memories.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
Street Fighter, Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, and Rampage were all games that I enjoyed as a kid. I played all these for the Super Nintendo I believe. I loved basically every Nintendo 64 game that I owned, but I wouldn't necessarily quite call that retro yet, however the first Mario parties were my favorite games ever.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I play retro games pretty regularly, to be honest lol.

Only thing I could say for sure in comparison to modern games is that classic (not any retro games, but classics) have stronger and more compact level design, whereas modern games seem to be larger in scope. Although that's not always the case, hell there's even the opposite example. Super Mario World has big, explorable levels, where as NSMBU is smaller in that sense, but the level design is much more tight and way better.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
What kinds of music do you love from Retro OSTS?

For example, the Legend of Zelda (NES) Dungeon theme has been one of my favourites, because while it may be simple, it gives off this 'darkness, ominous' theme:

psychomew2

Rank 1: Otsdarva
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 5, 2014
As someone who has recently gotten quite into retro gaming, I think I'll be tagging along on this thread :D. As far as the answer to the question goes, even though I'm still somewhat new to the series, I'm loving the themes of classic castlevania games. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-RdjNFCYs8

Sorry I couldn't embed the actual video in my post. I'm not as tech savvy as I would like to be T_T

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
Years
I love retro games! Personally my favorite console was the SNES, and I'm still blown away from the amount of great RPGs there are. Now, I do mostly emulate (I'm sorry :( ), but I do own a N64 and a Gameboy Color. I actually play most retro games (legally, that is) through the Virtual Console and Eshop. I really want to get some actual consoles, though.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
I really like the Mother series' OST because that RPG was not the cliche medieval stuff that was really popular it was set in modern times in what looks like an america clone and there is only 1 sword in the game which is really difficult to get.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
What are your favorite Retro Games?

Paper Mario on the N64. One of my first Mario games, and I enjoyed the story and RPG elements so much! I've played every Paper Mario game except for Sticker Star o the 3DS. The game was so much fun, one of my favorite games of all time. It's probably my favorite Paper Mario game even though TTYD and Super Paper Mario were good as well. I bought the game again on VC and still play it sometimes when I'm bored.

Goldeneye foe N64. I actually didn't start playing this until a few years ago. The campaign is fun, but what sets it apart imo is the multiplayer. My friends and I would spend hours playing each other 4 vs 4. As simple as it is, the gun fights are so fun! This set the way for future fps'. Even the remake on Nintendo Wii wasn't that bad imo.

Some other notable favorites are TMNT: Turtles in Time, Doctor Mario, Pokemon Puzzle League, The LoZ Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, DK County N64, Super Smash Bros on N64 and Pokemon Snap. Also, some of my favorite games were on Sega Genesis. Road Rash and Sonic has take nup a lot of my time in a good way. :)

Back