• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen The Starter Pikachu

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • We all know that in Pokemon Yellow, your only starter choice was a Pikachu that Professor Oak caught on Route 1. This Pikachu follows you around in the overworld, and cannot evolve. But that's all common knowledge by now.

Did you use the Starter Pikachu in Pokemon Yellow, or did you box it?

NobleDragonite

Ace-Trainer No.5634623
    Years
  • Pokemon Yellow was really cool, clearly Pikachu used and leveled to over 80 I think. What impressed me the most was the sprites and that I could get Bulbasaur and Charmander AND Squirtle. Without Pikachu in the team, I would not have felt like Ash: o. xd. The whole team, I have recreated exactly like the anime.

Years
  • I only played Yellow once (when it came out on VC) and I boxed Pikachu as soon as I recieved Bulbasaur, would have boxed it at the start when I caught NidoranM but I knew I need Pikachu to be happy in order to get Bulbasaur so I kept it with me until then. I'm not the biggest Pikachu fan so I only use it when I can evolve it into Raichu.

Nekodatta

Overanalyzing Pokemon for 20 years
    Years
  • I usually used it and loved it but I did a Yellow Nuzlocke once and my Pikachu died pretty early on (against a surprise pidgeotto in viridian forest, which I found darkly hilarious) so I went the rest of the game without him.

Years
  • Used most of the time. Felt wrong not to, even if I've replayed tons of times and therefore used it a lot already lol. I wish it had some buffed stats like in LGPE so it didn't faint from the slightest poke, but alas. Pika was cute following me around and that's all I needed. :p

Years
  • As soon as I was able to get Zapdos, Pikachu went right into the box. The gimmick of having Pikachu follow you around was fun (and something I loved in HGSS/LGPE), but I've always been pretty meh towards Pikachu, so it wasn't a big deal that it wasn't tagging along.

Quiji

Shining
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2021
    Pikachu isn't that strong, so I only used it for a little while until I had the opportunity to replace it with something stronger. The walking Pikachu gimmick was a novelty at first, but it sure got old after a while.

Back