• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: The Sun and Moon Starters: A Closer Look into our New Pokémon

Zet

Years
  • Did anyone else notice that your rival has the starter you're super effective against? I wonder if there's another rival who has the starter you're weak against.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • When I showed my younger sister the starters she thought that the cat kind of resembles a ninja. Looking at it, it kind of does. Perhaps that points to it's final evolution being part Dark like Greninja.

Sir Codin

Litten looks like my own cat. I think I've chosen my starter.

Years
  • When I showed my younger sister the starters she thought that the cat kind of resembles a ninja. Looking at it, it kind of does. Perhaps that points to it's final evolution being part Dark like Greninja.

Interesting you say that, but I have seen people comparing the markings on Litten's face to the symbol of Satan, and you know we had a Pokemon with Satan influence before (looking at you, Giratina) but here I think it's a definite fit for a Dark-type evolution.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Interesting you say that, but I have seen people comparing the markings on Litten's face to the symbol of Satan, and you know we had a Pokemon with Satan influence before (looking at you, Giratina) but here I think it's a definite fit for a Dark-type evolution.
    I think it's missing something. The sign I think you're thinking of has what look like an infinite sign in the bottom of the forehead symbol. Plus Satan is usually associated with Dogs, not Cats.

Years
  • I think it's missing something. The sign I think you're thinking of has what look like an infinite sign in the bottom of the forehead symbol. Plus Satan is usually associated with Dogs, not Cats.

Infinity symbol resemblance for Litten's eyes? I recall some think Rowlet's face was designed with an overlapping of two circles in mind, which makes me think of an eclipse. But then there's trying to work out what symbol could have played a part in Popplio's design.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Popplio feels like a pokemon that was created solely for Contest . Even his description state his love of "Showing off"! Which make me hopeful about Pokemon in the Alola region.
    Plus , The description also state that it can't move in land as good as Water means its power is limited in Land battle.

Rowlet look like Oblivious dense pokemon.
    It might be more popular then its evolutionary form.

Litten look like Treeko/Frokie of Generation VII who are more serious and battle focus pokemon.
    Kind of make it perfect for Ash.
    Plus , If Litten evolve into something like Luxray then he will definitely be the most coolest starter pokemon ever.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Interesting you say that, but I have seen people comparing the markings on Litten's face to the symbol of Satan, and you know we had a Pokemon with Satan influence before (looking at you, Giratina) but here I think it's a definite fit for a Dark-type evolution.
    It's more accurately the symbol of Sulfur. It was adopted as a symbol of Satanism, but that's about it.

Sulfur is associated with Fire and is often portrayed as the sun in Alchemy, so take it as you will. I think it's a coincidence though and people are just looking into it a little too deep.

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2016
    I'd imagine Rowlet evolving into a wise-looking elder Owl as a final stage. I don't see them changing it's type, unfortunately.
    Litten will most likely turn into a Dark type Tiger by his final stage. With lots of red spikes.
    Not sure about Popplio when we already have samurott.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • What an insightful read. The fact that all of the were based of endangered species simply enhances the starter flavour. I quite like the theories crafted although a Fire/Psychic isn't really original (look at Fennekin) (sorry bout it #TeamLitten). Popplio's design is pretty interesting and I want to see if it gains any secondary typing that links back to the bubbles and circus idea. Rowlet's inspiration from Pueo excites me a lot, given that Pueo is associated with war and protection. Wonder if it'll take on a guardian and fighter of nature archetype.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • Litten's eyes make me think it's going to evolve into Grumpy Cat, haha. I'm looking forward to seeing what we'll get for the final evolutions, I like all 3 of them. It was fascinating and also sad to learn that they seem to be based on endangered species.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I actually didn't realize this until the article brought up the Oshawott line when describing Popplio, but.....

doesn't Samurott look more like he'd evolve from Popplio than from Oshawott?

Popplio.png

503Samurott.png

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    Litten's eyes make me think it's going to evolve into Grumpy Cat, haha. I'm looking forward to seeing what we'll get for the final evolutions, I like all 3 of them. It was fascinating and also sad to learn that they seem to be based on endangered species.

Agreed. On all of it. I too hope to see the final evos, but I am torn cuz I want to be as surprised as possible in this game (and maybe not seeing the final evolutions until my starter actually evolves would be a good way to do that), but its just so tempting.

Also, Maybe Gamefreak thought that making Pokémon based off of these species would, in some sort of abstract way, preserve them to be enjoyed by future generations in the very likely chance that humanity doesn't get its act together in time to preserve them in the real world.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • Great work on the article, guys! Personally I love ALL three of these starters, particularly Litten!

Totally canNOT wait for more info! :D

Years
  • Litten definitely has the leviathan cross/brimstone symbol on it's head (eyes + markings just above them). That + the dex entry part that mentions "when it sheds, its fur catches on fire" is giving me hell-ish vibes. I'm guessing it'll be engulfed in flames for it's final evo. (Black tiger with red stripes, on fire, perhaps?) Man these starters are awesome. For the first time since gen 3 I'm actually having a hard time deciding which one to choose. Also already like them x10 than X/Y's starters, and I hope their final evo's turn out to be great too.

Back