• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Surf Sprite

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    What do you guys think the Surf Sprite pokemon could be? Since gen 3 it's been an unidentifiable blob. (Up until gen 7)

We know that Corviknight is based off the flying sprite. So, I wonder if we'll ever know what the surf blob is

Years
    • Seen today
    It would be neat that if in Gen 9 it could finally be the sprite of whichever Pokemon you actually used surf with.

There had been little steps towards this in ORAS.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Always thought of it as Seel/Dewgong in Generation 1, Lapras in Generation 2, and Wailmer after that. Looked too round to be anything besides that, other than Kyogre or something from the Spheal line. Added a clear tail in Generation 4, though, which is not present on Wailmer.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Always thought of it as Seel/Dewgong in Generation 1, Lapras in Generation 2, and Wailmer after that. Looked too round to be anything besides that, other than Kyogre or something from the Spheal line. Added a clear tail in Generation 4, though, which is not present on Wailmer.

The tail is your Surf Pokémon working as a motor, whilst the wild Wailmer is content to give you a free ride as it gets from A to B without swimming?

But yeah Sealeo could be another option. One thing I missed in SwSh was Surf tbh

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    The tail is your Surf Pokémon working as a motor, whilst the wild Wailmer is content to give you a free ride as it gets from A to B without swimming?
    Possible. Could be a generic, Wailmer-shaped raft as well. Sort of explains why you can Surf on a 1 foot, 4 inch (0.4 meter) Horsea weighing far less than you.

Also enjoys the thought of being propelled by a Lickitung waggling its tongue from your Wailmer/raft. Makes more sense to push via swimming, but shh.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Possible. Could be a generic, Wailmer-shaped raft as well. Sort of explains why you can Surf on a 1 foot, 4 inch (0.4 meter) Horsea weighing far less than you.

Also enjoys the thought of being propelled by a Lickitung waggling its tongue from your Wailmer/raft. Makes more sense to push via swimming, but shh.

Does Rhydon spin its horn like a drill, but like its stuck bits of Rock to it so it works as a propeller?! Linoone just kicks absolutely furiously meanwhile.

Oh, and Hariyama floats face down, holding its breath for miles on end 😂

...no explanation for how Aggron is buoyant though. If its hidden ability is in play it nearly weighs an actual metric ton!

Last edited:
    I saw it as Seel in RBY, Lapras in GSC, and Wailmer in RSE. As for DPPt... it seemed to me like that's when they started making them harder to identify so you could better imagine your own Pokémon surfing instead. Not that a weird blob that looks like nothing helps immersion any, lol. I would really love if they could make custom surfing sprites for all the surfable Pokémon, even if I know it's extra work they probably wouldn't want to put in. Let me see myself surf on Oshawott dang it!

Back