• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Twelve Days of Pokémon Christmas [NYE THREAD]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday

Hosted and Judged by Kip & Tribal Ebony

I know, I know, Christmas has come and gone this year. BUT - the 12 days of Christmas live one (funnily enough, 12 days after Christmas), so we can still sing this classic carol.

This year, however, we want to give it a little twist. Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, will be to write a Pokémon version of the 12 Days of Christmas! It can be anything you like, so long as it follows the same tune and basic song layout.​

The Original Carol

For your referencing purposes, this is how the carol is set out:

Wikipedia said:
    "The Twelve Days of Christmas" is a cumulative song, meaning that each verse is built on top of the previous verses. There are twelve verses, each describing a gift given by "my true love" on one of the twelve days of Christmas.

The first verse runs:

On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...
    A Partridge in a Pear Tree.

The second verse:

On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...
    2 Turtle Doves
    And a Partridge in a Pear Tree.

The third verse begins to show some metrical variance, as explained below:
    On the third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...
    3 French Hens
    2 Turtle Doves

...and so forth, until the last verse:

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...
    12 Drummers Drumming
    11 Pipers Piping
    10 Lords-a-Leaping
    9 Ladies Dancing
    8 Maids-a-Milking
    7 Swans-a-Swimming
    6 Geese-a-Laying
    5 Gold Rings
    4 Colly Birds
    3 French Hens
    2 Turtle Doves
    More information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelve_Days_of_Christmas_(song)

So you get the idea ^^ The more creative you are, the more chance you'll win a nice little emblem for your profile!

Emblems

First Place

Third Place

Second Place

For Participating

A few other things...

• You must submit your carols by Private Message only to either Kip or Tribal Ebony (look above for profile links). Be sure to set 'Twelve Days Competition' as the subject.

• You can submit your entry in any form you like, either by writing out the whole carol, or by simply posting the last verse ("On the twelfth day of Christmas...") which contains each of the lines we need. We will post the winning entries in full when the time comes.

• Entries will close on the 1st January at 22:00 PST (2 Jan 06:00 GMT) and will be judged by myself and Tribal Ebony. We will announce the results on the 2nd January 3rd January (There's been so many entries we need a little longer to decide - sorry for the wait!).

• You may use this thread to ask any questions or share ideas. Bear in mind however that whatever is posted here is fair game - it is a competition after all. If you want to discuss ideas with other users we suggest you do it privately as to prevent them from getting stolen.

• Collaborations are allowed, however you must credit anyone else who helped put your carol together. If you get one of the top three, you will all receive the emblem.

• It doesn't have to rhyme. It's a folk song - folks songs don't have to rhyme so long as they sound good. Don't feel restricted - be creative!

• A note on pronunciation. I'm fully aware that certain Pokémon names may be pronounced differently (classic example: Pidgeot can be pronounced "Pid-jee-ott" or "Pid-jit") or because the English names have not been spoken yet (select Generation IV and Generation V). Try to keep to the pronunciation that we hear in the anime, so we have a standard we can refer to. * (See below for details).

• Bear in mind that with a limited carol such as this other people's ideas may be similar to yours (e.g. one line is the same). While there is a limited amount of leeway, theft of ideas or trying to pass up someone else's idea as your own is strictly prohibited. ANYONE CAUGHT BLATANTLY STEALING OTHER PEOPLE'S WORK WILL BE DISQUALIFIED AND REFERRED TO A MODERATOR.

Good Luck and have fun! Hope your Christmas was a blast and a Happy New Year to All!

* Fan-made pronunciations often arising before the Pokémon's debut in the anime will cause problems in trying to fit it in with the carol. E.g. one of the pre-debut pronunciations for Suicune was "Su-ic-cine" - when it appeared in the anime, it was pronounced "Swee-cune". However, sometimes the anime itself can be inconsistent (the aforementioned Pidgeot one) - in these cases, try to stick to the more widely accepted ones (in this case "Pid-jee-ott"). If in doubt, specify in your PM how you intend it to be pronounced.

Last edited:

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • Yay it is up! I will participate, buut if we use gen V can we write a pronunciation guide down the bottom, eg

Kum-a-shun
    Goch-i-mu

Since I have not seen any gen V anime as of yet. So basically any stuff that has alternate ways of pronunciation, can we write the way we pronounce it at the bottom?

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
    Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    Since I have not seen any gen V anime as of yet. So basically any stuff that has alternate ways of pronunciation, can we write the way we pronounce it at the bottom?

By all means, do so. ^^ There is also the slight complication that not all of the English names for Gen V have been released; so especially for Gen V we really need to know how you would pronounce it in the carol.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years

• By all means, do so. ^^ There is also the slight complication that not all of the English names for Gen V have been released; so especially for Gen V we really need to know how you would pronounce it in the carol.

Okie Dokie :)

This is very challenging, up to verse 4 now XD

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
    Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    Wow guys - we've gotten quite a few entries already and I must say the creativity is excellent so far. Keep up the good work! ^^

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
    Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    Just to confirm. The entires we have received so far are:

Air Pichu
    Curious.
    THAT WONDERFUL PIXY GUY
    AdvancedK47
    Elite Overlord LeSabre™
    Alternative
    Sammyskitty

They're all really good. It's going to be so hard to pick out three of them. :shocked: Keep it up guys!

PatJamma

From the ashes
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    I'm soooo excited for this I started thinking of ideas right when this was announced and I'm really happy with the way mine turned out. and good luck to all my competitors! =P

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
    Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    When making this do we need to keep the exact number of syllables in each line?

So long as it fits with the carol tune it's OK - doesn't have to be precise. It's all a bit of fun. The way it fits is just one, small judging factor - there's also style and creativity and the like. ^^

Just to confirm, the entries we have received since my last post are:

Destiny Demon
    dragonite149
    Roswell
    Dooonerz
    PatJamma

Keep 'em coming guys ^^ Remember, you have until 10 PM tomorrow (PST, 6AM GMT Sunday) to get your entries in!

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020

So long as it fits with the carol tune it's OK - doesn't have to be precise. It's all a bit of fun. The way it fits is just one, small judging factor - there's also style and creativity and the like. ^^

Just to confirm, the entries we have received since my last post are:

Destiny Demon
    dragonite149
    Roswell
    Dooonerz
    PatJamma
    Lightoftruth
    Keep 'em coming guys ^^ Remember, you have until 10 PM tomorrow (PST, 6AM GMT Sunday) to get your entries in!

One more entry since your last post mate :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back