• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The X&Y Gym Awards - Badges or the like?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
  • So yeah; I wanted to make a thread specifically about gym badges since there is a thread about specifically about gym leaders.

Anyway, what do you think the gym badges in this generation will be like? Would you prefer the gym badges to be like the gym badges Gens 1-4, where they are more small and circular, or would you perfer the gym badges from Gen 5 where they took on larger different shapes and sizes? Do you think that they will implement a new idea for the shape and size for badges?

What if they scrapped the whole 'badge' idea altogether, and have new awards for trainers who defeated gym leaders? What would you say the idea would be?

Elite Four Lucian

Elite Four - Psychic User
    Years
  • Well, I don't expect a change in the way they have the badges, every region they have badges is going to be different, so why wouldn't you make the badges different. I seem them keeping the same system they've always had. It'd be cool to see something a bit different, but I don't know.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I don't think they'll be removing the badge system, honestly. :/ If they were to change it, perhaps pins? ...That's not much different then a badge. Or they could give you a part of a key and when you have each of the 8 key parts, it makes a key to unlock Victory Road. That's the best I can come up with!

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • I think they would indeed keep the badges from previous Pokémon games, because the tradition is that the Gym Leaders give you the badges upon defeating them, once you've gotten all 8 badges... you're then eligible to enter the Pokémon League and defeat the Elite Four and defeat the Champion to become the Champion yourself. I think the badges would look much more nicer and have more nicer larger shapes like they did in Black/White.

But what if they removed the badges altogether? Well you would have to expect some reward for defeating the Gym Leaders, I'm thinking about something like getting some sort of Medal which would replace badges. That would be interesting. ;)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • But what if they removed the badges altogether? Well you would have to expect some reward for defeating the Gym Leaders, I'm thinking about something like getting some sort of Medal which would replace badges. That would be interesting. ;)

Medals seem annoying to carry around though. They're heavier than badges and it'd be more difficult to show off. Like in gen V, we had that nifty pouch for our badges that was easy to open and put your badge on. "Hey, let me see all your medals!" "k gimme like 5 minutes to pull them all out" mehhh but I'm thinking too realistically. XD

Unless you mean like the small medals that B2W2 had...but ew I don't wanna think about those ever again.

Years
  • I don't think they'll be removing the badge system, honestly. :/ If they were to change it, perhaps pins? ...That's not much different then a badge. Or they could give you a part of a key and when you have each of the 8 key parts, it makes a key to unlock Victory Road. That's the best I can come up with!

im liking that key idea but honestly i like the badge system, i do however want more unique shapes

Pinta77

If they had pins you could wear or something, that would be cool.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • If they had pins you could wear or something, that would be cool.

Yeah, I mentioned earlier that pins might be nice, but then I remembered that Ash wore his badges (in gen I anyway, idk about others) as if they were pins so idk if they were gonna change it, I feel like they'd do something a bit more different than pins since they're too similar to badges.

Eleventyseventy

But why is the rum gone?
    Years
  • I'd like to see them throw the whole 'Gym Leader, Elite 4 and Champion' system out the window and try something different. How about a set of challenges you must complete around the region before you can enter a final region-wide tournament?

They could even still use Mr. Medal from BW2. Say there's like 300 medals again.. only this time after you've earned 100 you can enter the 'Pokemon World Championship', and after 200 you'll gain access to the Safari Zone of the region, etc.. Obviously there would be certain special medals for taking down *insert evil team here* or claiming victory in Poketournament venues all over the region, and these medals would be necessary to progress to the championship.

Unlikely, I know, but it'd still be a nice change of pace.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • The designs of Gen V's badges were horrible. Mainly due to the golden outlining each had. I loved all the badges of the previous generations; so ultimately, I'd like to see Gen VI's badges take on the general look of Gen I - IV's.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Something like a digital badge might be pretty neat. Instead of a physical reward, you'd get a downloaded badge to your record or something. Of course they'd still have a design and such when downloaded, but it'd be like an easier way to hold badges rather than lugging around a clunky badge case, and when you get to Victory Road maybe they can be accessed by a swipe of your Trainer ID or something.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Yeah, idk why and this will sound weird, but Unova's badges looked...pointy. XD And they looked sharp like "omg i don't wanna touch that" sharp. I'd like the cute small little badges from generations past to make a return. Like the cute little Kanto badges. :3

Michimo

Princess Spectacular
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2013
    For badges I think that I'd like them too look more like the round pins from earlier generations because at this point it seems that character customization will be a new feature and I'd love to have my hero running around with all these badges pinned to their jacket or hat! xD

Also, having a theme among the badges would be cool. -insert lame example of a theme here-

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • Something like a digital badge might be pretty neat. Instead of a physical reward, you'd get a downloaded badge to your record or something. Of course they'd still have a design and such when downloaded, but it'd be like an easier way to hold badges rather than lugging around a clunky badge case, and when you get to Victory Road maybe they can be accessed by a swipe of your Trainer ID or something.

Ohhh that'd be cool - the trainer cards can hold all the digital info, and after a gym battle victory the main character can just wirelessly download the gym badge!

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    I want the old badges, the circular kinds. The ones in Gen 5 didn't look that good in my opinion. The badges should be small, round medals instead of long sticks of silver.

Michimo

Princess Spectacular
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2013
    Actually, even the Sinnoh badges are fairly round. Even the Beacon badge which has two pointy sticky out ends, is pretty round. I'd like too see designs like that again.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • I'd prefer the badge looks from Gen 1-4, the Gen 5 badges don't feel like "real" badges to me, I don't know why. Maybe it's their height.

And what happened to wearing the badges? Gen 4 onwards had badge cases, but badges are meant to be worn, right? It would be cool if instead of a badge case, after winning one, it would show your character pinning it to themselves, and you could wear them like an accessory.

Michimo

Princess Spectacular
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2013
    And what happened to wearing the badges? Gen 4 onwards had badge cases, but badges are meant to be worn, right? It would be cool if instead of a badge case, after winning one, it would show your character pinning it to themselves, and you could wear them like an accessory.

I hear ya! I think that even if they give us a chance to at least pin one badge onto your characters outfit, I think that would be really really neat. And once you get all the badges you can have your favorite one pinned to your characters vest or whatever.

Though, in the games you never wore badges. That was an anime thing. But the concept is still awesome.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I can't really see them removing the badge system as it's kind of a staple part of the Pokemon franchise now, it's been here long enough that people are thinking, "I have to get the badges from defeating the gym leaders" not like, "Oh yeah, I get this thing if I beat the gym leader." Besides, it seems they always give you bonus's anyway, maybe this time they'll expand it beyond just TMs?

Years
  • I liked the direction that they took with the badges in the 5th Gen, and hope that they try something unique with them again this time around. Personally, I'd love to see the badges similarly shaped, so that when placed next to each other, they'd come together like pieces in a puzzle.

Spoiler:

Back