• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The XYZ of Gen VI's Failings so far and why the next Game will be MUCH better

Trainer Evan

Loses lots, but keeps trying!
Years
  • Let me start by saying I am generally a lurker, and don't like to involve myself too much, as it's easy to get lost in the shuffle around here. I am also unaware if there is a thread I should post this instead, rather than making one. If that is the case, then I apologize.

Allow me to start by saying yes, technically, Pokemon X&Y are the best games in the series. They are great, and I'm really enjoying playing X. However, something is just missing. something is off, and I think I've narrowed down the major flaws, if you can consider them flaws, and how they apply to the franchise as a whole.

1. Let's rewind back to Pokemon Red and Blue. Remember the sense of wonderment and adventure? Every moment of that game is iconic, from the old man who fell asleep on the road and won't let you pass until he shows you how to catch pokemon, to getting swarmed by Zubats in Moonstone Cave. There was a thrill a player got when they figured out how to wake up the Snorlax blocking your path with the flute you discovered, Or getting into battles on the deck of the S.S. Anne. And these little moments of magic, of your own discovery, really immersed you in the world despite the game's archaic presentation. Gold and silver had these moments too, such as watering the Sudowoodo, or fighting a Red Gyarados, or finding a Lapras in a cave on Fridays. These moments kind of faded by Gen III, but still the games kept trying to surprise players. Now, you are told to get a flute to wake a Snorlax, someone else plays it, but you still fight it. You are lead on a leash to finding fossils instead of coming across them in a cave and dueling the owner, or excavating them yourself(Nods to D/P/Pt). And they shove NPC's around you wherever you go to point out everything you need to do and where it is, constantly keeping you moving forward. It's lost it's magic.

2. Which brings me to my next point. I hate getting the 5th badge. I hate it so much. Because that immediately sends signals to me that I'm about, if not over, halfway through the game. Your badge box essentially becomes a countdown till the Elite Four, and after that, the adventure is over. I loved in Emerald how you could re-challenge gym leaders, or in Soul Silver, how you had a second region, or even in B/W, how the other half of the map was accessible. But now it seems like the game is trying to force you through the story as fast as possible to get to the metagame. The game is actually structured like this, from the aforementioned hand-holding, to the absurdly powerful Exp. Share, to the the high rate of catching powerful pokemon and how soon you get them, to how easy the game is, to making EV/IV training extremely easy and quick relatively speaking, and how the narrative has been dumbed down since B/W. Yes, a pokemon plot that's been dumbed down, as if that's even possible. The whole game just feels like it's "going through the motions", until your monsters are powerful enough to compete online. When I play pokemon, I dread the game ending. Yeah, playing online is cool, but I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything anymore. This is a big problem I have with X&Y. By Gen IV, it seemed online potential and presentation kind of got in the way of the Adventure, as less time was devoted to the story and it's longevity, using the metagame as compensation, and I guess that's fine if your into that....but it lacks the adventure of it all. Favorite pokemon are made irrelevant by absurd stat imbalance, and Frontier Grinding is essential to get the best items. It's all about the competition. Hell, most o the game's actual plot dealt with Mega Evolution, which is only really necessary for online competition. It didn't seem like they wanted to actually write, which is a shame, seeing as the game's story did offer up a couple moments of niceness and show some potential.

3. Remember when I was reminiscing about the high adventure of Red and Blue? Well, this ties into some issues I have with X&Y. It seems like nostalgia is this game's selling point. And its a reason why I'm sure the next entry will be better as there is no reason to keep pushing tat after X&Y. X&Y re-used a lot of tropes from past games that made a lot of the experiences feel rather hollow. We've woken a Snorlax before with a flute, we've done the shifty spinny tiles thing in a Team's base before, we've investigated a defunct power plant before. And they keep shoving iconic nostalgia-graphy in our face all the time. Like the heavy emphasis on Kalos pokemon, such as the three original starters and Mewtwo, or the three birds. It seems like GF's main goal here was attract players of the original games that fell off the wagon. Which is why once the blow their Gen I load, I'm sure the next game will be better. But it's not just that.

4. The other huge problem with the narrative is something I touched on in point 2. The new features obnoxiously get in the way of the narrative. The game has to stop many times to explain things to you and make them apart of the story, despite it being infinitely more fun to discover on your own. Mega-Evolution is a pretty glaring example, but let's look at something else. Fairy Type(I would have preferred Sound or Cyber Type first, but whatevs). The NPC's will tell you what works and doesn't work up front. Boo. That's no fun. It takes away the adventure. I remember in Gold and Silver how much fun Dark and Steel type were, because the player had to learn what to do to cope with them. Outside of the guide book the answers were never given to you up front. It was a puzzle, and puzzle's are fun. This game streamlines it for you so much and the plot is essentially purely a slave to the new mechanics, and to me it feels fairly transparent and forced. However, once we get a new game, explaining all these features will be unnecessary, and therefore there is more roo for your own personal adventure.

5. However, some of these new ideas maybe cool, GF sees to leave a lot of better ones in the dust. The Battle Subway, to me, conceptually, was one of the coolest things ever. I also loved the battle clubs that start your battles off with random pro's, con's, or status effects. I loved being able to re-challenge Gym Leaders, or conquer a different region. ****, I even miss gambling, which I believe is absent from X&Y. GF should give some of these ideas a second shot.

6. This is my final point, and it's an important one in that it's more long reaching. Pokemon needs to change. I can admit it's getting stale. And this is sad to me because it has a universe begging to be fleshed out properly and explored and possibly has the greatest potential of any video game world. One only needs to stop and think about how actually living in the Pokemon universe would work to realize it's awesomeness. It's begging for depth. What are politics like? How does crime work? Are street battles illegal? Are there regulations for trying to catch specific pokemon or protected species? Do Airlines factor in Rayquaza's position via satellite to make sure their trajectory doesn't interfere with his? What's it like living in a world where the entire self sustaining economy and resources revolve around Pokemon? What's the education system like in a world where pokemon mean everything? Does Regigigas ever wake up and destroy a city? Is th ePokemon League sanctioned and regulated tightly? Are there sponsors? What is it like in a Pokeball or PC Box? For real. What are people really scared of and how do real people act in this world? Not oblivious, happy go-lucky, NPC's who aren't aware the "City" they live in doesn't have enough housing for all of them and a severe imbalance in coffee shop volume. A pokemon game needs to be made where beating the Elite 4 ISN'T the primary objective. It needs to be a real, quest based, RPG, that's focus is on adventure and exploring. Make the world bigger, keep the combat system. It can easily be done. I can easily see it cel-shaded, and structured similarly to a Tales game. And if you want to do it on home console(like everyone wants), you can keep all your fancy online options. Nintendo keeps compensating for repetition by adding new pokemon. We're at over 700 now, and that's actually awesome in my opinion, but right now there doesn't need to be anymore. The pokedex is filled with potential stories and adventures that can make for dynamic quests and dungeons. Make catching a specific pokemon have a story and adventure behind it based on their lore, rather then always running in circles in grass with your fingers crossed. There is limitless potential for a 200 hour plus RPG, that could be an instant classic that makes all other Pokemon Games look really pointless, but no one is going to let that happen. So if nothing changes 5 years from now, I'm not too sure there's a reason to stay invested. Pokemon is a wonderful dream, maybe i'll try and invent a TBTRPG for it....

Caiustheblack

Breeder for the sake of it.
    Years
  • I guess you are over 20.
    Moreover, i guess you are not considering that even with all of us being over 20 years-old the average pokemon series player's age is around 13 years old.
    Also, you should consider that as long as you grow up, every other pokemon game you will buy will seem a little bit worse; it s perfectly normal, that means you are growing and it means also pokemon will get old even for you at some point.
    By the way, i m 24 and still waiting to become bored of pokemon games... it didnt happen XD

Trainer Evan

Years
  • I guess you are over 20.
    Moreover, i guess you are not considering that even with all of us being over 20 years-old the average pokemon series player's age is around 13 years old.
    Also, you should consider that as long as you grow up, every other pokemon game you will buy will seem a little bit worse; it s perfectly normal, that means you are growing and it means also pokemon will get old even for you at some point.
    By the way, i m 24 and still waiting to become bored of pokemon games... it didnt happen XD

Well, A. I am 20 on the dot. B. I Think you vastly underestimate young people, if you think my recommendations are too much for a 13 year old to handle. I was able to beat Final Fanrasy X when I was ten, and so did most of my friends. And that's an infinitely more complex game than what I'm proposing. C. I would argue that the metagame that X&Y seemingly revolve around is dominated by older players, given it's insane depth. D. Pokemon is not getting "worse" for me. I still love the concept and the world and imagining being apart of it, if not moreso than when I was young as it provides an excellent escape. It's just that more can be done with it. So much. So easily.

Marionz

New to 6th Gen
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2013
    of course next game would be better... think of XY as their beta phase for what new things to come for the next game.. can't even wait for that matter but well let's all see... as always, japan would be the first one to taste that next gen..

Trainer Evan

Years
  • So, sport, you're going around saying why YOUR opinion is the BEST and RIGHT opinion.

Way to friggin' go. :I

I don't think I ever insinuated such a thing. I believe I even went out of my way to say "if you can consider them flaws", implying other people have alterior perspectives. And I don't know what you mean by "going around". I'm stating what I think are its flaws. Mainly it's mechanical/artificial in nature and lacks a sense of adventure/discovery in favor of it's metagame. There are people who play for the metagame, and that's a valid perspective. I am not one of those people.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I guess you are over 20.

Actually I feel the pokemon games have gotten better as I've gotten older. There's a special appreciation I have that I didn't have in the first few gens...plus all the technology advancements.

The whole issue with wonder and adventure isn't game freaks fault. Every game gets spoiled over the internet, these days nothing is special because gamers have already seen most of the game online.

Years
  • I know things are much more simpler during RBGY, but compared to the older gens, I think I like X and Y better. The game mechanics are improved especially for breeding. I hope you can be patient as the game will continue to improve. After all, it is GF first main series pokemon game for 3DS. Eventually, it will get better.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2014
    Valid points dude, This version is all about competition. Take a look at official page and the amount of events in the first weeks off release are staggering that being said this version rekindled my love of pokemon.

Colress Machine

The Colress Machine broke...
    Years
  • Actually, I've been a fan of Pokémon since Johto, and I've played every game since LeafGreen (Except FireRed and Ruby) and the franchise isn't stale to me at all!! I actually think they've gotten better and better!!! I love these games so much! I even love the Exp. Share! During BW2, spending hours Audino training my team took away from the wonder of Pokémon more than add to it. It made training tedious and boring. Now, I get to train while doing my favorite thing, catching Pokémon and working on my Pokédex! And it made the adventure fun for me since I didn't have to stop everything to Audino train or just grind. Not to mention demgraphicstho. In fact, I think Pokémon pet the heads of genwunners (not saying you are one haha) in this game so much that it actually annoyed me. I'm still waiting for a gen 5 mega!! There are gen 5 fangirls out there, Gamefreak! Ah well, I'm just ranting at this point.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, though, so I respect your views. Not everyone is going to agree and that's fine! c:

Last edited:

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I think you've got some good points. I would love for them to explore the Pokemon world a bit more, get some more definite answers on how some things work in this universe. With that in mind though, I think you're expecting too much out of these games.

The nostalgia you mention might be them trying to sell these games to older players, but let's be honest here. Players that enjoyed the games when they first came out in the 90s are either still playing them or they're not. Adding nostalgic things to these games does nothing more but add to the players that are still playing the games to this day, they're not going to attract old players back if they've already fallen off the wagon. I feel like your first point is simply very nostalgically powered. These moments you've mentioned are the first of their kinds and when the games were still just in their 'infancy'. I don't want to say that we won't ever experience some other cool unique and interesting moments in future games, but they'll never reach the height of the past games... simply because we're all already pretty accustomed to how the games feel and work in general.

I do agree about the narrative of this generation's story. It was very simplified and, like you said, going through the motions. Disappointing, yes, but not unexpected. I would love for a new outline to how the story plays out. They could most definitely do some great things if they changed their story formula. With that in mind though, I still think that's expecting too much out of these games. I would definitely agree that 6th gen has taken more of an interest in competitive and online playing than previous, and that maybe that affected other aspects of the game. Though, I wouldn't say that's a bad thing. Seems to me they're trying to take the next step in their idea of connectivity. I don't think this specifically is what contributed to the story being so 'meh'.

The underlying of the game is indeed very intense and technical, but the outside appeal is meant to be for children or younger kids. I think that's ultimately going to be the problem when it comes to revitalizing or revolutionizing the story. It's split between older generations wanting a more in depth and interesting story and the expectations of making a game that's simple enough for children to play and feel accomplished. I just don't think that the games will ever have a story that just reels you in like other game franchises, but I also don't see it as a major flaw or problem. It's just the nature of this franchise.

I'm honestly not very interested in the idea of turning this franchise into a major RPG that you've got in mind. Pokemon is about the only RPG I enjoy, and it's very much because of what it is today and what it isn't. You' change too much of that, and it leads to a majority of the fanbase to abandon ship, or so in my opinion. Then there's this... you say having 700+ Pokemon is fine and we don't need any more... the major draw of these games are the Pokemon and having new ones appear every generation. I'm not 100% sure about other people, but I love seeing new creatures every new generation. It's exciting and it's really what these games are about.

Monte Blanc

The White Rabbit
    Years
  • Nostalgia, nostalgia everywhere~

Seriously though, most of your points are based entirely on what you think makes Pokemon great or doesn't. Personally, I'm glad that they've gone ahead and streamlined the information we need into the games. I grew up on Pokemon, played Yellow at four, and I gotta say: Gens I&II are possibly the most frustrating games in the entire series.

Bare with me here: In Gen I, you received little to no information on anything. The game was literally as close to a sandbox-game as GameFreak has ever gotten because once you got the Snorlax out of the way, you could basically go anywhere without restriction. No city in the game was barred from you and you could pick and choose any of the remaining Gym Leaders to fight (Sans Giovanni, but we don't even know about him being the Gym Leader til right before we fight him). Plot had no significance whatsoever. Team Rocket was basically there to provide a load of extra battles for EXP so you didn't get throttled by the E4.

In Gen II, it was much the same. Once you got Surf, you could either proceed as normal, beat Chuck, Jasmine, and then proceed to Pryce, or you could skip two Gyms, beat TR, and move on with the game's plot all while missing two Gym Badges. Post-game in Kanto was just as uninformative as its predecessor. You got off the boat and were basically told, "Here's an entire region with absolutely no direction, have fun". Albeit, it was nice to get to roam and go unimpeded to wherever you wanted, but having absolutely zero information on where you might wanna start was daunting.

Granted, the obscurity of what we were supposed to be doing made Gen I&II some of the most replayable games in the series. There was always something new for you to personally discover, whether it be a wild Pokemon you didn't know existed on Route 10 or finding a hidden Rare Candy. However, that alone does not excuse the lack of any sort of information that would otherwise be beneficial to the players.

You mentioned discover Steel- and Dark-types' weakness and resistances as "fun". I think a more accurate term is incredibly frustrating. I have distinct memory of having to play off the secondary weaknesses of Dark-types (Dark/Fire, Dark/Flying) in order to beat them because I had no idea what else worked. Umbreon was a nightmare for me and it wasn't until my second run that I discovered Dark's weakness to Bug and Fighting. Steel types were simple. Metal melts so obvious Fire works. I didn't know about Ground or Fighting until I picked up Prima's Pokemon Crystal guide oh so many years ago.

It's for that reason that I'm glad we were told Fairy's weaknesses and resistances. I don't think it ruins anything so much as gives the player a helping hand in better understanding and enjoying XY's new mechanics.

To me, XY are definitely the crown jewels amongst the Pokemon series. And no, it's not because they are the latest games, but because this generation added so much to the table as far as mechanics are concerned. Yes, there's a lack of in-game content, okay. But what did we get in exchange? A new type, full 3D-rendered models of every Pokemon (Which look incredible), a driven storyline, Mega Evolutions, new ways to pass on IVs, Friend Safari, and a simplified method of EV Training.

I believe the pros outweigh the cons here. XY are incredible games and I don't think GameFreak has done anything wrong in making them the way that they did. This is a company that has followed nearly the same formula for every incarnation of Pokemon and they have yet to fail. People still buy the games, people still get hyped, and people still prattle on about what's next. They keep us interested, as any good company should.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • I concur with Monte Blanc, this just sounds like nostalgia. The problem with nostalgia is that it's a way of avoiding the scary, unknown, future. I mean, considering that the mechanics for the first gen are often called "broken" by a lot of us older fans, sixth gen really fixed the last glaring flaws, IMO.

As for the story, it's just as complete and memorable as all the others, made more memorable by the beautiful imagery that was not possible in previous generations. Seeing the ending made me cry, seriously, I was wiping tears from my eyes to read the lyrics to the beautiful song at the end. The story was captivating and I call it the best ending of any video game ever, and it was.

I'd have to talk about a ton of spoilers to mention other memorable parts of the game, some even after the ending and E4, so all I can think is to wonder if you even paid any attention to the game as you played it or spent the entire time just thinking about the time when Pokemon felt novel to you.

Trainer Evan

Years
  • I concur with Monte Blanc, this just sounds like nostalgia. The problem with nostalgia is that it's a way of avoiding the scary, unknown, future. I mean, considering that the mechanics for the first gen are often called "broken" by a lot of us older fans, sixth gen really fixed the last glaring flaws, IMO.

As for the story, it's just as complete and memorable as all the others, made more memorable by the beautiful imagery that was not possible in previous generations. Seeing the ending made me cry, seriously, I was wiping tears from my eyes to read the lyrics to the beautiful song at the end. The story was captivating and I call it the best ending of any video game ever, and it was.

I'd have to talk about a ton of spoilers to mention other memorable parts of the game, some even after the ending and E4, so all I can think is to wonder if you even paid any attention to the game as you played it or spent the entire time just thinking about the time when Pokemon felt novel to you.

I can't really put into words what I was thinking while playing, the pace and narrative felt off for reasons I articulated above. However, I would not call myself nostalgic. Platinum was my favorite game in the series.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • The whole issue with wonder and adventure isn't game freaks fault. Every game gets spoiled over the internet, these days nothing is special because gamers have already seen most of the game online.

I kinda miss the time where I didn't even have a clue about the Johto dogs or Regitrio. I only found out about the Johto dogs when I saw a guy play the game, and I was so surprised. I didn't find out about the Regitrio until waaay later. I didn't really know why I was doing the Wailord and Relicanth thing back then, + I had to translate the dotspeak by myself. Heck, I didn't even know that Rayquaza was in Ruby and Sapphire. I thought he was exclusive to Emerald.

Now, everything is available on the internet. As much as I wanted to go in blind, I already found out lots of things about Gen VI. Even things like the Friend Safari would have added a lot if you didn't know about them beforehand. Like, beat the E4 and then finding out about this cool feature. Even Wonder Trade is probably more fun if you found out about it by yourself in the game, instead of finding out about it via internet. With new generations, you go in the game knowing everything.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    So, sport, you're going around saying why YOUR opinion is the BEST and RIGHT opinion.

Way to friggin' go. :I
    What kind of drive through comment is this? Where has the OP said these were all facts? If you have nothing constructive to post, regardless if you disagree with the OP, don't post.

Anyhow, OP, I don't necessarily agree with your points (I don't think Pokemon should abandon a winning and timeless formula, for one), but I definitely agree that X/Y were far too streamlined for their own good. Looking back, X/Y has many flaws and it was evident it was rushed. The narrative and pacing was definitely off.

Also, it's a shame there are posts here pulling the "nostalgia" card. Pay them no mind, they love to use it as an excuse when someone is favorable to the older games. Somehow, the consensus here is that everything new MUST be better, with complete disregard to game design. It's pretty much the anti nostalgia, which is just as bad.

Monte Blanc

The White Rabbit
    Years
  • What kind of drive through comment is this? Where has the OP said these were all facts? If you have nothing constructive to post, regardless if you disagree with the OP, don't post.

Anyhow, OP, I don't necessarily agree with your points (I don't think Pokemon should abandon a winning and timeless formula, for one), but I definitely agree that X/Y were far too streamlined for their own good. Looking back, X/Y has many flaws and it was evident it was rushed. The narrative and pacing was definitely off.

Also, it's a shame there are posts here pulling the "nostalgia" card. Pay them no mind, they love to use it as an excuse when someone is favorable to the older games. Somehow, the consensus here is that everything new MUST be better, with complete disregard to game design. It's pretty much the anti nostalgia, which is just as bad.

How was the pacing off? Because, in-between major plot points there was actual interaction with important NPCs and side-quests that, while mandatory, were unique in their own right? The plot was just as good, if not better, than what we've had before. Gen I gave us absolutely no plot beyond "Catch 'em All!" which was fine considering the time and level of programming put into the games. Gen II had a shadow of a plot with TR's revival, but was still incredibly loose as far as how you went about the events in the game. Gen III was where the first real attempt at a plot was made and did a fair job of it. Gen IV tried to deepen that and, in my opinion, botched it. I thought Team Galactic was incredibly obnoxious and the utilization of other NPCs was sloppy and thrown-together as if on-the-fly. Gen V actually gave us a solid plot line, but failed to give us anything besides that (Basically every town had some sort of involvement with Team Plasma). B2/W2 attempted to fix this and, again IMO, succeeded.

Now, let's look at XY's plot. We were introduced to a colorful cast of NPCs (four of which became our "rivals") and a rather dark story involving Team Flare. The games delivered consistent interaction between both parties and actually made it feel like you were on a journey and not simply running around doing whatever you pleased. There were little touches (The fireworks at the mansion, the haunted house, etc) with the other NPCs that gave the game life. GameFreak delivered an actual story, not just some plot to answer the question, "Why am I on this journey?". Pokemon has always been a light-hearted game meant for younger players, but also aimed at an older audience. Up to this point, GameFreak has short-handed one of the two. Either there was too much seriousness going on (B/W) or too little of it (Gens II-IV). I think XY finally gave us a nice balance; a vibrant, fun journey with characters that were there for more than plot purposes, and a stable plot that saw its way through to the end.

I'm actually insulted to be disregarded as "anti-nostalgia". Just because you fail to defend your view doesn't automatically mean mine, or anyone elses, is invalid on the principle of "nostalgia". You agreed with the OP and proceeded to say that the games had many flaws and were rushed, yet failed to bring up even one point to defend either claim.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2016
    I agree with most of your points, except the last one. The people behind the game have obviously put in so much more thought into the actual lives of people in this! From Cafes to Taxis, to all the other mundane things that would actually be useful for people in the Pokemon world! Small details like bending down to talk to kids, being able to sit on benches makes this amazing. If the next game can significantly better the story, and slightly improve the gameplay, it would really be great.

atomtanned

Delinquent
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    I agree that I'd like to see a bigger, more complex Pokemon game, but I don't think the handheld is the way to do it. I think it would be really cool if Gamefreak did a console RPG along the lines of Ocarina of Time or something like that. An open world where there's a loose storyline but all kinds of side quests and different avenues to completion along the way. It would be great for older series fans who have gotten a little tired of the standard Pokemon tropes along the course of 6 generations, but would allow them to keep the handheld series true to the feel of the originals.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I'm actually insulted to be disregarded as "anti-nostalgia". Just because you fail to defend your view doesn't automatically mean mine, or anyone elses, is invalid on the principle of "nostalgia". You agreed with the OP and proceeded to say that the games had many flaws and were rushed, yet failed to bring up even one point to defend either claim.
    Slow down. Your idea of pacing is much different than mine...actually I don't what the hell you're on about with plots and all that NPC interaction and story relevancy stuff. When looking at it on a game design stand point, that hardly matters. Although I give you this, they did contribute to the pacing, but not positively. All those NPC interactions that happens can be pretty much a completely distraction. That Furfou hunt? Should not be there. I'm not gonna waste my time dissecting X/Y's flaws anyway, I merely posted here to call out on the name calling, not to tell you what I feel about X/Y.

But let's look at your previous post. Your argument to the OP were basically "I do not like what other people like about the previous games." Throwing the player into an obscure world without any help or telling them where to go is exactly what people liked about those games. You listed that as a flaw when it isn't, far from it. People loved exploring on their own, loved finding out things and be surprised. I mean, hell, I avoided X/Y spoilers just to get that sense again but the game was just so streamlined I felt rather underwhelmed in that regard. Linearity is NOT a bad thing, but neither is non-linear. You mentioned the non-linearity but NOT why it's bad, so you didn't really back up your argument, either.
    [Super] Metroid and Legend of Zelda are tremendously loved and critically acclaimed for dropping the player into a world and basically telling them "you're on your own". I mean, Super Metroid is often considered the best game of all time because of that...wait, no, they love it for nostalgia, surely. Metroid Other M is right for streamlining and introducing a plot to a series that never meant to have it!

But really what made you lose your credibility is accusing the OP's views to be affected by nostalgia. It is stupid and should not be used as an argument, because it is disrespectful and rude, borderline insulting. And I showed you why.
    I'm actually insulted to be disregarded as "anti-nostalgia"
    See what I mean? I said that to show how stupid it sounds. Accusing others of "nostalgia" is just as bad, and now you know why. It's a lazy excuse, and people should stop using it.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • Why exactly is an emphasis on online battling a bad thing? I personally like it. To me and to many, it is a great source of replayability. The Battle Chateau provided a nice way to be able to level up, and it was a decent replacement for Gym Leader rematches (Though I'd still like to have the Gym Leader rematches...). As for the story, it's never the main reason anyone plays Pokemon, and it shouldn't be. I know I don't give a damn what the story is, as long as the game provides a decent roster of Pokemon and some good replayability.

Seriously, though, even with all its flaws, this is still a damn good game. Sure, if you don't like to battle (Which is kind of odd if you play Pokemon, I mean battling is the main part of the game), then you might find the game poor, but if you enjoy battling, then this game is definitely up there in the series.

Last generation, it was the Generation I fans that were the most annoying. Now, though, the fandom has seen rise to a much worse species of whiner: The "I hate all the games but DPPt" guys. You know, the guys who kiss ass when regarding Generation IV (Which wasn't all that), and regard the other games as trash.

Generation I? OUTDATED GARBAGE ONLY GENWUNNERS LIKE IT!!!

Generation II? OVERRATED!

Generation III? WORST GAME IN THE SERIES BECAUSE TRUMPETS!!!

Generation V? AARGH CHILDISH TOO LINEAR!!!

Generation VI? AAAAAAAARRGGGHHHH! IT HAS KANTO POKEMON AND KANTO POKEMON SUX AND TOO MUCH BATLING AND ONLINE MODES SUCK!!!!

But Generation IV? AMAZING AMAZING BEZT GAIM EVAR BEST PLOT EVER BEST POKEMON EVER NO FLAWS EVER!!!

Seriously, guys, chill. Sinnoh isn't that amazing, Kanto doesn't suck that much, calm down. People will still like Kanto Pokemon. Deal with it.

Back