• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl] Thoughts on BD and SP?

Pokémon Trainer Marnie

Dark Type Trainer
Years
  • First of all i am so happy to play my favourite Pokémon game again ^-^ i loved diamond so much back in the day, i know alot of the fanbase have mixed feelings about it but i feel it's a faithful remake with some good quality of life improvements and added features, but that is my opinion of course, i think the chibi artstyle resembles the style of the original in some way as you were kind of a chibi sprite walking around hehe, i wish the music did get a improvement, keep the themes the same but with a new sound perhaps it would sound great.

Not having overworld Pokémon slightly troubles me as the new improved underground is where it all is, i also am disappointed about the hidden base feature, is it all just statues? In the original you could have all kinds of decorations, even a tv! and Pokémon dolls! i should hope the event items are available for download too as Darkrai was my first event i attented at Argos and it was such a weird but interesting legendary to catch.

You can access the underground before your second gym badge so i fear it could break the balance of the game if you obtain some very powerful Pokémon from the new underground, all in all i find the remake exciting and worth my time :) i also loved Sword due to the character customization and such.

Let me know what your opinions are.

Marnie <3

Years
  • having overworld Pokémon slightly troubles me as the new improved underground is where it all is, i also am disappointed about the hidden base feature, is it all just statues?

Yeah, it seems it's just statues, which is disappointing… I would've loved to decorate my base with more than just those. Not sure why they ended up limiting it in such a way.

But the games are really good despite some of their flaws, so I still think they're worth playing! Did you get (Brilliant) Diamond this time around too? ❤️

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2021
    Eu realmente não curti muito o estilo Chibi, tipo, Diamond e Pearl são jogos da geração q mais me viciou em pokémon e me fez ir mais a fundo. Mesmo que seja para relembrar o passado como afirmam, não consigo curtir essa ideia, eu queria muito explorar a região de Sinnoh igual em Galar, realmente estava bem ansioso pelo remake.
    Regredir algo para saciar nostalgia dos fãs está virando comum, visto Black/White.
    Bom, Sinnoh tem meu coração e meu grande amor, acho que minha alta espectativa acabou me frustando.

Years
  • Eu realmente não curti muito o estilo Chibi, tipo, Diamond e Pearl são jogos da geração q mais me viciou em pokémon e me fez ir mais a fundo. Mesmo que seja para relembrar o passado como afirmam, não consigo curtir essa ideia, eu queria muito explorar a região de Sinnoh igual em Galar, realmente estava bem ansioso pelo remake.
    Regredir algo para saciar nostalgia dos fãs está virando comum, visto Black/White.
    Bom, Sinnoh tem meu coração e meu grande amor, acho que minha alta espectativa acabou me frustando.

Using a translator:

Poderia publicar isto em inglês, por favor? Poucos serão capazes de compreender o seu post. Obrigado pela sua cooperação.

Post in English:

Could you post this in English please? Not many will be able to understand your post. Thank you for your cooperation.

Tendoman77

Formerly known as "Da Man"
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    How's the Pokedex? Is it based on Platinum's expanded one or the original one where there's only like 5 fire types in the entire reigon? Be very unfortunate if it was the latter.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2023
    Sadly it appears it isn't based on the Platinum Dex as you can't catch Pokemon like Ralts and Houndour in the wild BUT you can catch them in the underground areas.

Years
  • There is a Battle Tower postgame, yeah, which has online co-op. But no news on if we'll ever get a full-on Battle Frontier area yet, but it's possible it will eventually come as DLC?

I am glad there's a Battle Tower at least with online co-op. I do hope we will get a Battle Frontier as a DLC or so.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I am absolutely, unequivocally in love with the games thus far and I just began playing. I'm so tremendously delighted to continue my journey!!

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm enjoying it personally!

I didn't realise just how much I would appreciate the HM Poketch thingy. It really is great to be able to have whatever Pokemon I want on my team and not to have to think about HMs at all. Sure we had that in SwSh but SwSh was a new game and region, so while I appreciated it there I didn't really notice the difference as much, if that makes sense.

I also like how much faster battles are and that the HP bar doesn't take 3 million years to go down. That really was frustrating in Gen 4 and I feel like even though the pace of battles is still slower than necessary, the dramatic increase has made these games much more fun.

The graphics are decent, but tbh I think one of the largest gaming franchises in the world could have done better. The battle animations are disappointing. Machop using Low Kick and punching? That's clearly not right and it would have made more sense to just have moves like that just move forward and back or something.

Overall though I'm definitely enjoying this version of Sinnoh so far and definitely glad I bought Shining Pearl!

Tendoman77

Formerly known as "Da Man"
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Sadly it appears it isn't based on the Platinum Dex as you can't catch Pokemon like Ralts and Houndour in the wild BUT you can catch them in the underground areas.

Wow that's still extremely unfortunate. I know there's the whole "being truly faithful" thing but at least not going THAT far with sticking with the horrible D/P regional pokedex.

Least there's the underground as you mentioned Dark.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    There is a Battle Tower postgame, yeah, which has online co-op. But no news on if we'll ever get a full-on Battle Frontier area yet, but it's possible it will eventually come as DLC?

No triple and rotation battles I believe...
    Is it possible to send pokemon from other games using bank/home?

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
  • This is amazing!

Absolute amazing! This remake feels alot better than ORAS, and almost on par with HGSS.
    I'mma be playing this for ages!!

Lord_Sesshoumaru

Not interested.
    Years
  • I'm disappointed that we don't have the WTC, Global Room only having 2 players at a time, no LAN Mode, and no Pokemon HOME (they still cant come up with a solution to allow players to connect to HOME once they beat the E4). Early adopters get the worst versions and have to wait for patches to get the full game.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I don't like it. FRLG, HGSS, ORAS, and even Let's Go. Have felt better to play.

There is nothing to look forward to. There is no variety in pokemon. The amount of pokemon with sturdy is insane. It just has not felt great. I have beaten the 2nd Gym and Galactic in Eterna and I just don't enjoy the game. If I am honest, it is probably one of the worst main series pokemon games I've played.

Why go back to single use TMs? Why use the old dex when clearly there is not a variety? I just don't like the games. I am starting to wonder if this is why I began to lose interest in Pokemon during 4th Gen.

It is out right not worth the $60 and if I had a playable 4th gen game that was legit, I would have never thought about buying these games at all. If I am brutally honest. It is close to one of the worst games I have spent $60 on.

Last edited:
    Back