• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Timeless Masterpieces

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
  • Thread to post about series that you consider timeless masterpieces - that will forever hold their own no matter how many years pass by.

I really had to post a thread like this after I read Ashita no Joe. Don't think a thread on it would get as much attention as a general discussion thread since the series is so fucking old so I'm gonna go ahead and write about it here. Hope it instigates some into giving the series a shot if they haven't already.

Prepare for a tl;dr:
    Spoiler:

So yeah. Ashita no Joe. A timeless masterpiece. A series I can safely say is one of the best manga experiences I've ever had. Even after more than 40 years have passed since it ended, it remains a classic and a definite must-read.

Also, a random thing - I listened to LAST STARDUST by Aimer - the track that plays in Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Work's confrontation in episode 20 between Shirou and...some character - on loop while reading this series. Made the fights more epic, haha.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I believe people not giving it a read has to do more with the fact that it is very old at this point than any other factor. Most people aren't even aware of how good this series is - they're all like how I was a few days ago. "yeah, yeah, I know that there exists a series like that which is apparently iconic but I just don't feel like reading it for xyz reasons right now". They just do not have any clue. And, even if they get past that phase, people spoiled by today's manga art find the art of that time period far too off-putting to even give it a proper shot.

At least, those are the barriers to the series I think most people face.

Its popularity surged and it had an insane amount of readership back in the days it was still getting published. Besides, 40 years later - still getting parodied and being given tribute to after all that time (latest I saw was in Shokugeki no Soma). The fact that it is even being talked about 40 years later (some people's entire lives get wrapped up in that time period. That's how insane a time duration that is!) is a testament to how amazing the series is. Which is why I believe, undeniably, that it is a timeless masterpiece.

edit: also, even if they manage to get past both of those barriers, there's still the issue of the MC being a dick. I've seen people abandoning the series because they thought joe was a huge dick XD;

Is there even a good amount of people who read A-M-U-K-A (xD) no Joe?
    Curse you, PC's censors XD;

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion. I know it's not a series for everyone, and can be easily criticized, but it's one of my favorite shows and it was and still is mind-blowing for me how the story basically kicks your brain until you scream.

Years
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion. I know it's not a series for everyone, and can be easily criticized, but it's one of my favorite shows and it was and still is mind-blowing for me how the story basically kicks your brain until you scream.

I'm gonna go back even further and say the original Mobile Suit Gundam. It practically started the real robot franchise, gave birth to many of the tropes used both in it's many spin-off/sequel series and other mech series, and was never shy to preach the terrors of war as they were at the same time shooting colorful laser beams at each other in space.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • I'm a huge Gundam fan, so I second that. It revolutionized the mecha series in a good way, with a lot of lovely characters and deep story. I watched the original series and the remake movies and I just can't stop loving it.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • I can think of a couple of shows but I'll stick with one - WIthin the cars/racing genre the pioneer of drifting in anime and further popularising the actual sport itself - Initial D. A anime about cars drifting that's so unique and recognisable by it's eurobeat soundtrack and the CG graphics used in cars, it's no wonder it gets parodied a lot on numerous shows.

Years
  • Wolf Children Ame and Yuki is a timeless masterpiece. Other than that, I think Heaven's Lost Property and FLCL (for all that damn symbolism) are timeless too.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I'm going to broaden "series" to mean pretty much any Japanese entertainment because I feel like it.

Anime:
    Cardcaptor Sakura
    - brilliant all-ages character story with excellent writing that gets better as the series progresses, touches on a couple of interesting ideas near the end, first season drags on a bit
    Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
    - extremely well-written reversal (I hesitate to say deconstruction, though that does apply at certain points) of typical mahou shoujo tropes, fantastic character writing, and the scenario is just excellent, can't think of any flaws; I want to say "emotional rollercoaster" but it's more like "emotional drop off a cliff followed by admittance into heaven"
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    - brutal deconstruction of mecha tropes that seriously explores themes like depression and human loneliness, I personally think it's very slightly marred by unnecessary complexity and largely irrelevant symbolism but still acknowledge it as one of the very best
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    - extremely well-written and emotional story more or less about humanity with enough optimism to make even the worst pessimist cheer, pacing is a bit off in the middle segment (you know the one) but otherwise fantastic

Manga:
    Cardcaptor Sakura
    - like anime, except the pacing is never bad unlike the first season of the anime, ending isn't quite as good but still great; notably lacks Meiling (whether this is good or bad depends on your taste, but I didn't like her until season three)

Visual novel:
    Little Busters!
    - the best thing Key has ever made by a significant margin in my opinion; fantastic character writing and transition from light-hearted school comedy to something much more serious; scenarios are absolutely fantastic, especially the final one
    Fate/Stay Night
    - intelligent and fun examination of various ethical beliefs and systems with mostly well-written characters, very interesting scenarios, and a few too many cooking segments

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Wait, this wasn't a thread about A-M-U-K-A no Joe? o.O

Okay, I'll be very obvious and say SAO Cowboy Beebop. Because if a series can build a huge fanbase even in the west, it's definitely something to be proud of.

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2015
    Hunter x Hunter (2011)

I just learned so much about characters and stories in Chimera Ant arc. Really amazing. Which sucks, because it's going to be really hard to watch other anime IF I compare it with Hunter x Hunter all the time.

I'm purposely leaving out a lot of details for people that might actually read/watch this in future. I don't want to raise your expectation even a little bit...because raising your expectation will most likely ruin the experience of watching that particular anime.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Gundam definitely deserves a mention, and a little biased I'd say but Uchuu Kaizoku Captain Harlock is still really good too.

Shadowraze

ur mum
    Years
  • Just to put out there;

Anime:
    Gintama
    - Many will disagree with me on this but how many of them have watched this? I know it's comedy but it takes it up from there from a rollercoaster ride straight to heaven. Seriously, it's that amazing.
    FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood
    - Plotwise flawless storytelling much better than it's previous one (2003). It's just hits you right in the kokoro after finishing this.
    Mushishi
    - A masterpiece of slice of life Anime's. If you just want to chill out and watch anime without getting all messed from cliffhangers and such. It may be episodic but it has incredible storytelling that would get you hooked up even if you start in the second season of the anime.
    Steins;Gate
    - Nobody expected it to amount to much coming from a visual novel yet it proved many wrong Sci-Fi? Romance? it's a whole new level lol. Really something you can rewatch many times without getting bored at all.
    Cowboy Bebop
    - This has to be here somewhere a true classic and masterpiece. For a sci-fi anime in it's generation it's really great plus that OP ohgod that OP. tenenenenenenten dundudnudndunundndundundnun lol It makes you feel like watching one of those Bond films.

Manga:
    Oyasumi Punpun
    - Reminds me of madoka the first time I read it cause, you really got to not judge things from it's cover. A story about punpun from his elementary days to his early 20's. An uplifting manga and different from many other in storytelling but still that's what it get it's recognition from.
    Berserk
    - Finally coming out of hiatus is berserk, just damn great storytelling and GORE GORE GORE GORE. This is what you call true manga and truly a masterpiece.
    One Piece
    - It's the best selling manga for a reason, much like the anime you can see how. It is that awesome really it just is.
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    - Well this is where the anime is based from it got to be here somewhere.

Last edited:

Professor_Jared

Mr. Fish trainer
    Years
  • 1) Lupin the 3rd- The first few episodes in the first series inspired Shinchiro Watanabe to make Cowboy Bebop and paved the way for other dark humored action and adventure anime. Also Lupin helped jump start Miyazaki's career and is by far, one of the most recognizable cultural anime icons, even to this day (Seriously, Lupin has been referenced a lot in various other anime like FLCL and Excel Saga)

2) Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, and Macross: DYRL- I am surprised that no one even mentioned Macross, considering that Macross helped revolutionize the Real Robot genre (alongside Mobile Suit: Gundam), by introducing the love triangle and using music as a weapon aspects to the Real Robot genre.

4) Towards the Terra

5) Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team - Imagine if Mobile Suit Gundam was being told from a Vietnam veteran's perspective. Now imagine if all the main, secondary, and supporting characters had characteristics which made them look and feel like real, relatable, 3 dimensional characters with human-like qualities and personalities rather than the generic 1 dimensional character with no personality whatsoever. Add on an excellent story and consistent pacing, and you have a rather underrated anime masterpiece.

6) Mazinger Z- The first super robot series ever created with a good story too

7) Getter Robo- The first super robot series with a transforming super robot

Manga

1) Beserk- This manga series gets too little love, considering that it can tell an excellent story and tell it very well without any gimmicky help.

2) Hellsing- The manga delves deeper into the story of Alucard than the first anime series ever did, and also gives every main, secondary, and supporting characters some well-deserved character development (Like for example: Actually depicting Anderson as someone who has a complex sense of morality, and isn't a raging, out of control raving lunatic who kills everything in sight(God, the 1st anime series butchered his character completely)).

3) One Piece- Will be remembered for a long, long time to come, because Oda actually puts in a lot of effort into this manga, unlike Kubo who slacks off and can't draw backgrounds at all.

4) Dragon Ball

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • 4) Towards the Terra

My faith in humanity has been restored. Have you read the manga as well? Terra E... is indeed a magical journey to the true reality of human nature, I think I will never get over it. It's like a space soap opera full of truths.

I was hoping more 'Cowboy Bebop' post, I must confess.

Al3x

Pokémon Fan
    Years
  • There are so many master pieces out there. You guys mentioned lots but I'm going to say some of my personal favourites.

Dragonball Z
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Hunter x Hunter (2011)
    Fate/Zero
    One Piece
    Gintama
    Inuyasha
    To Aru Majutsu No Index
    Steins;Gate

pkmin3033

Going to add my support for Mobile Suit Gundam, although I'd say Zeta is more deserving of the label than the original, because it expanded and improved upon...well, pretty much everything. Kamille was a much more engaging protagonist than Amuro - who just got on my nerves in the original series, to be honest; Zeta did wonders for his character - and I felt that the pacing was a little better.

...plus it had more Char in it, and the only reason I watched the original series was because of Char. Even if his alias was utterly ridiculous.

There are a few fairly recent shows I'd consider mentioning, but as far as I'm concerned a show needs to have been out for at least a decade before it can be considered timeless.

Years
  • When I first saw this thread I was pretty confident that I didn't consider anything a timeless masterpiece.

but Ping Pong The Animation is about the closest thing to it.

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is truly a timeless masterpiece. It wasn't over the top hilarious all the time (it had it moments!) but it had me grinning ear to ear every second of the show!

Shinsekai Yori is a symbol of what a good anime can accomplish. The way it brought out human philosophy and psychology during not one but every stage of life had me clinging to every episode!

Ergo Proxy is another amazing anime. While it may seem confusing at first, if you pay attention, you realize how accurately it portrays the philosophy it embodies.

Death Note (little surprised this didn't come up!) is a great psychological thriller anime that has you guessing at every corner. Yes, it wasn't as good in the latter part but overall, it's hard to deny it it's place as a timeless masterpiece.

Angel Beats! It's enough to make a grown man cry and bawl like a baby.

Al3x

Pokémon Fan
    Years
  • Angel Beats! It's enough to make a grown man cry and bawl like a baby.
    I watched it, it had a few parts that were sad but not cry worthy. I did tear up at one part but I was quite disappointed with the anime, it was too short.

Back