• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Too much?

Too many games?

• Totally! Talk about spamming.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I guess so, but what does it matter?

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Nah, it's fine. It won't corrupt Game Freak.

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • DUH! Of course not! Keep on coming, ya beauties!

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • YOU IDIOT! OF COURSE IT'S A GOOD THING!

Votes: 15 22.4%

• Total voters

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
  • Okay, I will not surrender. MY POINT WILL BE HEARD! GAMES ARE BEING MADE TOO DAMN FAST WITHOUT EVEN LETTING US PLAY THE ONE THEY JUST RELEASED FOR A DAMNED SECOND!!!!!!! Ugh! *spits sparks*

Let's say that GF is indeed moving too fast. Just as a hypothetical scenario, of course.

If we were to form an equation showing the relationship between the speed at which games are produced and the speed at which people play them, then the former would be given the variable X and the latter would be a picture of a dog because the two are completely unrelated. The actual equation would be:

Spoiler:

Not only are the two completely unrelated, but they even don't equal each other. Why? Well that's because it's entirely possible to play an entry in a series even after the next entry's been released. The entire argument that GF is not giving the consumers enough time to play their games before releasing more is based around the notion that the past games disappear when new ones are released. Unless GF is dabbling in magic, that will not happen. It's entirely possible to ignore new releases and play what you want to play until you feel comfortable moving forward.

Years
  • It's one of the best selling video games franchises, of course it's gonna be milked. It's the same with Mario. Just milked all the way.

The real question is if the quality of the milk is up to par. Whereas Mario actually keeps getting better, Pokemon tends to go back and forth. B/W were pretty god damned awful compared to the fantastic Platinum.

I personally think that they should, for once, actually focus on cleverly designing a region that isn't linear in its core. Seems to me the main attraction for each new Pokemon gen is well, new Pokemon. But we're already reaching 700 of them. Though I guess X/Y finally got something else as its pull with is 3D graphics, but we're already way past the point where 3D graphics are revolutionary. Give designing Pokemon a rest for next gen and focus on polishing the mechanics (needs some real work after B/W) and designing a great, big region.

Spinosaurus is basically right, Pokemon is the second biggest video game franchise in the world today, only bested by the Mario franchise. While some games may be bad than others, it's all based on personal opinions. I actually liked Black and White because the story was focused on more than in past games, and I liked that. And while we are almost at 700+ Pokemon, the Pokemon franchise is still a fave of many gamers, and while 3D graphics were used back in 4th Gen, this is the first time everything is in 3D. In the past it was only the overworld environment, but now the people and the Pokemon are all rendered in 3D. And Kalos is looking to be a big region so they did a great job with designing an awesome region.

The 3DS is the fastest selling game dedicated hardware right now. We're already way past the "3DS NEEDS SALES" phase since..more than a year ago.
    The 3DS is also way more graphically capable than you think, but judging from the quoted sentence I'm assuming you don't own one anyway. It's the CPU that's the problem. But that's a completely different subject.

I may have never played a 3DS game despite me having a 3DS XL myself, but remember that most Nintendo franchises have moved onto 3DS even before X & Y's initial announcement, franchises like Animal Crossing, Legend of Zelda and Mario made the transition to 3DS around 2012 and while it took us until January this year for a move into 3DS for Pokemon, I do know that Pokemon X & Y may eventually see 3DS sales skyrocket even more. Also, the graphics are darn good-looking!

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
    Years
  • I don't understand how people can think there are too many Pokemon. Pokemon are based off of real animals, materials, things, etc. Saying there are too many Pokemon is like saying there are too many real things. If anything, I say make the generations bigger, give us more Pokemon, more to choose from. Honestly when someone says "all the new Pokemon are dumb, just give me the original 150!". First off I hate them for not including the Mew. Secondly, there was plenty wrong with the first generation. Really, Grimer and Muk, Jynx, Mr.Mime. I just don't see an issue with it.

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2016
    i think that for if any reason gf gos down it will due to the lack of creavity in pokes, i mean gen 5 all ready shows this, im sorry but gen 5 really turned me off, i would like gen 5 more if most of pokes were a little less girly/cutest, not to say i dont mind a few of these pokes

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Pokemon is not a yearly thing like CoD yet,
    what are you talking about?
    1998 - Pokemon Red and Blue
    1999 - Pokemon Yellow
    2000 - Pokemon Gold and Silver
    2001 - Pokemon Crystal
    2003 - Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire
    2004 - Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green
    2005 - Pokemon Emerald
    2007 - Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
    2009 - Pokemon Platinum
    2010 - Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver
    2011 - Pokemon Black and White
    2012 - Pokemon Black and White 2
    2013 - Pokemon X/Y

3 years aside, Pokemon has been pumping out games since 1998 in the west. And that's not even counting the spin offs. =/ Judging from some posts here, are people actually not aware of this? Pokemon games don't have big budgets.

We've also been going on a streak since 2009. I'm expecting X/Y2 or whatever next year, with gen 7 in 2015 if not a remake. Real talk.

I don't understand how people can think there are too many Pokemon. Pokemon are based off of real animals, materials, things, etc. Saying there are too many Pokemon is like saying there are too many real things.
    Dude...

Can we stop applying realism to game design. Like, ****ing please?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • To me, it seems like they have everything planned out. They know what the consumer wants, and they stretch these additions out slowly between iterations (with X and Y having the most since...well, probably ever). Of course they have no reason to add a whole bunch of things in one iteration, because they've never been in financial trouble. Probably the best thing about this formula is that they can rest remakes and sequels on these iterations before moving on the next generation where they add more additions, only adding to the call for more remakes and less naysaying against sequels. It's a great money making strategy.

Having said that, a lot of Pokemon fans (the majority) probably wouldn't mind lack of innovation and addition anyway, and they know this as well. That's why they can do these "few innovations every generation" and "a new game every (few) years" strategies.

But I don't think there are too many games, I just think they're taking advantage of how many they have and they're popularity.

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
    Years
  • ...No, dude, I cannot stop applying realism to these games because they do have realism. You have to apply realism towards it. Pokemon are based off of ****ing animals, materials, and everything else in the world. Not to mention, when I talk about realism in the Pokemon world, I talk about it from the stance of the Pokemon world. Like, for example, Horde Modes. I've been saying we need something like this for years because, it makes sense that Pokemon would attack in packs/hordes or whatever. You sir, need to stop being so critical.

I know that in the beginning they had a lot of things planned out. Now, I'm not so sure, you make an interesting point though machomuu. I completely agree with everything else you said though.

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
    Years
  • I think that GF are moving forward in a normal speed. We get new generations every 3-4 years and between these years we get spin-off games like mystery dungeons and conquest to be entertained while waiting for a new generation. We get third games from the recent generation with improved features from the recent generation games. We also get remakes of our old games that were released like 5-6 years ago (if not more.)

Moving too fast? Not really.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    ...No, dude, I cannot stop applying realism to these games because they do have realism. You have to apply realism towards it. Pokemon are based off of ****ing animals, materials, and everything else in the world. Not to mention, when I talk about realism in the Pokemon world, I talk about it from the stance of the Pokemon world. Like, for example, Horde Modes. I've been saying we need something like this for years because, it makes sense that Pokemon would attack in packs/hordes or whatever. You sir, need to stop being so critical.
    Nice logic. They should remove fairy and dragon types then. Oh and steel! And rock! And ground! I mean, there's no living steel is it? That's not realistic!

In fact, because of your OUTSTANDING logic, Gamefreak made a GRAVE mistake with Pokemon. You're right, there should be more Pokemon just because there are thousands of animals in earth, so they should have introduced a thousand Pokemon in Red/Blue. They could start with every single animal. Meet Geoff Keighley the Giraffe Pokemon and Megan Fox the Bonobo Pokemon.

If you said "they should add more Pokemon because that's the selling point", I wouldn't be able to argue with that. "Add more Pokemon because there are animals in the planet" though? Get real.

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
    Years
  • Nice logic. They should remove fairy and dragon types then. Oh and steel! And rock! And ground! I mean, there's no living steel is it? That's not realistic!

In fact, because of your OUTSTANDING logic, Gamefreak made a GRAVE mistake with Pokemon. You're right, there should be more Pokemon just because there are thousands of animals in earth, so they should have introduced a thousand Pokemon in Red/Blue. They could start with every single animal. Meet Geoff Keighley the Giraffe Pokemon and Megan Fox the Bonobo Pokemon.

If you said "they should add more Pokemon because that's the selling point", I wouldn't be able to argue with that. "Add more Pokemon because there are animals in the planet" though? Get real.

You just made me lol two times, sorry for OffT but seriously. X3

Years
  • I'm indifferent at the rate in which Game Freak releases Pokémon games. It's been a trend since 2009 (at least in America) to have them release 1-2 mainline Pokémon games per year, and I honestly don't see any changes in quality. But I just hope that they don't get down to that low of a frequency for releasing new generations.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • Game Freak wont create this games unless the Pokemon Company didnt come up with new pokemon to create. So its the greed of the Pkmn Co for pumping out soo many games

Sorbet

sυᴘᴇʀɪᴏʀвᴇт
    Years
  • Aren't the yearly releases what makes their succes? Let me make a comparison to Rihanna, she releases a new album every year and she's still succesful. I guess this in-your-face strategy is what keeps Pokémon relevant.

+ Pokémon X and Y looks like it will be the Mario Galaxy of the series, it's the improvement everyone has been waiting for. Watch IGN give it a 10/10 and the first week sales will outsell those of The Last of Us (~1.15m), the biggest first week sales of the year.

They're good for the 3DS generation, we'll see after that.

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
    Years
  • You clearly missed the part where I said, I look at the realism standpoint from an outlook of the Pokemon world. As in, what things would be real and what would occur in the Pokemon world looking at it from what is known of it. Pardon me if I offended you, that was not the intention, but, all I'm saying is, if the basis of Pokemon is off of currently existing organisms and objects, how can you have too many of those in the Pokemon world? And I feel as though you are only looking at it from the standpoint of using them to battle and use in the games when it's so much more than that. People use them for labor, pets, and a thousand other things. I just don't see how you can have too many Pokemon. Not to mention, the main games are released 2-4 years at a time. It gives us enough time to take in whats new and what we already have and if you don't like the new games/Pokemon/generation, don't pay attention to it then.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2015
    In my opinion, there isn't really much of an issue here. I think that the current rate isn't half bad. I think that, if anything, the quality is improving. I do think that after 700 or 800 they should reduce to to, say, 40-50 Pokemon per generation, but I don't see any problem. I mean, if they follow established trends, next up is the Ruby/Sapphire remake, followed by the third version of/sequel to X and Y, neither of which offer that much room for screwing up. You say that they don't understand the concept of "keep them wanting more"? These past 6 months have been killing me. If they start announcing titles earlier and keeping them in development longer, I don't really see much happening aside from players getting more impatient. In my opinion, while the graphics aren't the best they can be, Pokemon isn't really about the quality of the graphics. The soundtrack is wonderful as is, and I'm not sure how much better it would get if they simply give it more time. The stories and characters? I'd argue that these past couple games have only been improving in that regard, and do agree that these could POTENTIALLY be improved if given more time. Pokemon design? We lack any final-evolution Gen VI Pokemon (I'm fairly confident Talonflame is just the first evolution of Fletchling) to stack up against the past ones, but every generation has had fairly consistent amounts of stinkers. Again, I must concede that these could improve if given more time and giving them less of a feeling of a hundred-fifty monster quota to fulfill with each generation. So, basically it would help them to keep games in development for a little longer and breaking the mold a bit more. However, I feel that it would not result in any drop in quality or eventual death of the company.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    1. They will think about the money more than how they're damaging the company.
    Every company wants to make money in the first place. If they don't get anything out of their work, why creating new games?
    2. The designs will start to crumble and soon they will just be normal animals, but with a bracelet or something.
    Considering, that so many people hate the design of the first gen, it's actually hard to believe, that they could top that one. Also I think you're confusing Pokemon with Digimon ;P
    3. After the company falls, it will be sold and the beloved Pokemon games will be like 'Battlefield 3' instead of cute, serious, fun time with our little Poke friends.
    Well, as we all know: kids love to play Battlefield more than playing Pokemon. The thing they love to play most is CoD, though. The only reason why Nintendo doesn't want them to make another Battlefield/CoD is so GF can ruin themselves so that Nintendo can buy them with little money in order to start their own new shooter series, because reasons.[/sarcasm]
    Those are the main reasons which will destroy Game Freak. I think Pokemon X and Y was another example of how fast they're moving. Sure, they made it for the 3Ds but the screens resolution is far too low. It will be a smudged, pixelated 3D game.
    Moving fast? It took them more than 15 years from creating 2D monsters to creating 3D stuff (I mean the main series) in a time where most companies throw out one 3D game after another. Changes in the Pokemon series where always small ones (most times only some small details where changed from one version to another, like colors, or the Select-Button, or animated sprites,...and of course more Pokemon).

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I mean, if they follow established trends, next up is the Ruby/Sapphire remake, followed by the third version of/sequel to X and Y, neither of which offer that much room for screwing up.

Only issue is there is no established Trend. There isn't a set pattern for remakes, and they have already broken the remake cycle by not introducing a remake in the last generation as well as broke the normal cycle by introducing two sequels instead of a third version/director's cut.

All the hints towards a remake were all over fifth Gen if you believe that they were hints at all and we didn't get them. For all we know, when Gen 6 is over, we'll wait 3 years for something new from Gamefreak and move straight into Gen 7 on the next possible Nintendo based Handheld system...which I hope to the high heavens doesn't happen....They still have a lot of milking they can do with the 3DS.

Even still we've already been given the hint that there isn't any specific pattern to how they work. They pretty much just start on the next thing fairly randomly and if anything from Matsuda's special announcement is apparent...they pretty much pick their inspiration randomly.

Anything can happen with this set. We can completely forget all that we are used to getting, having this Gen still make incredible sales...and then move into the next Generation of Pokemon, or they can milk the generation for a while, producing one or two more titles to push it forward and try to stretch the time in the generation with more remakes....though at this time, all of them will need a remake due to them all being graphically inferior to current set up not to mention Fairy Type would have to be reinstated into all of the early games, similar to how Steel and Dark were reinstated into Red and Green with the remakes.

I could see a few side by side remakes in the up coming years, Gens 1 and 3, and then Gens 2 and 4. Gen 5 is pretty close already and isn't as far behind as the other four are. Only reason to remake them now would be for updating all the new info, despite that none of them may include new battle mechanics from the newer games outside of maybe PvP match ups over Wifi. (Triple and Rotation...I don't think Sky or Horde will be outside of main game as of yet.)

This can all still happen in the next 3 or 4 years too. There are a lot of roads Gamefreak can take from this point. Some good, some not so good, though none of it will really kill the company. We as fans will buy the games no matter what. Though it remains to be said...Gens 3 and 1 are still in the same boat as far as connectivity is concerned as well as need to update. If anything I hope both are done within this Gen if they are to be done.

Last edited:

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • The main series? Maybe a bit too much, I didn't think having 2 updated B/W sequels was necessary, but hey, they turned out to be eons better than the originals. I do think that the 6th generation was a bit rushed out, it felt a bit soon to be announcing it.

But the sidegames? Way too much. The sidegames are nothing but milk straight out of the Pokemon cash cow. And the thing is, very few of them are decent. While I enjoyed Colosseum and Gale of Darkness, the rest are all mediocre at best.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2013
    I think that what GameFreak is doing is fine. Think of InfinityWard and Treyarch; two of the most successful companies on the market and they release a Call of Duty game biyearly. Or the company that does the Assassin Creed games, they are very popular. I think as long as GameFreak makes quality games that their fans will enjoy, then no matter how often they do it then that will be fine.

I think as long as the quality of the game is not changed, then fans will keep buying the games.

Back