• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Top Ten Female Artists [Dish #18]

Years
  • [css-div="background-color: #FFF380; padding: 25px; border: double; border-color: #0000; border-width: 17px; text-align: left; width: 650px;"]
    Top Ten Female Artists

I really love many different kinds of music, but honestly I tend to gravitate more towards male artists. Despite this, there are still many female performers who I really enjoy listening to. In this Top Ten, I'm going to share my favourite female singers with you (in no particular order).

Number One - Pink

Pink is not only one of the greatest female vocalists in my opinion, but one of my favourite pop artists in general. Whilst I generally prefer her work from Funhouse onwards, the vast majority of her songs are of a very high standard and come from very personal places. I love that Pink's vocals can range from slow, sedate and emotional to fast, powerful and impassioned. Pink is an amazing performer.

Favourite Song: My favourite Pink song is I Don't Believe You from her Funhouse Album, it's a very emotional song.

Number Two - Sia

Sia, like Pink, is not only one of my favourite female artists but also one of the best pop artists I've heard. She has a very unique voice and is known for being extremely artistic and quirky with her music. Sia has a talent for turning her thoughts and feelings into amazing music whether it is her unusual pop music that is more well-known or her older jazzier songs.

Favourite Song: Elastic Heart is my favourite Sia song, it's amazing.

Number Three - Lzzy Hale (Halestorm)

Lzzy Hale is the lead vocalist of the hard rock band Halestorm. The band is certainly not known for having particularly deep lyrics (most of their songs are about rough and/or kinky sex from what I've heard) but that's irrelevant when you hear this woman's vocals. Lzzy Hale probably has the most powerful and intense vocals of any artist on this list and probably has one of the best voices in rock music. The best thing though, is that she actually can sing softer stuff beautifully as well.

Favourite Song: This was a tough one but in the end I had to go with I Get Off. Mostly for Lzzy's insane vocals.

Number Four - Tarja Turunen (Nightwish)

Tarja Turunen, who is now a solo artist, was the original lead vocalist for the symphonic metal band, Nightwish. Her operatic vocals pull you in and really make you feel the song your listening to. I tend to think she has very good control of her already amazing voice.

Favourite Song: I need to listen to more of her solo work to be honest, but I don't see anything topping her performance in Nemo.

Number Five - Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation)

Sharon den Adel is the lead singer of the Dutch symphonic metal band, Within Temptation. Whilst she doesn't have a voice as crazily powerful as Lzzy Hale, Sharon den Adel does have a surprisingly strong voice that sounds just as good singing fast-paced rock and slower symphonic numbers.

Favourite Song: This was a really tricky one since A Demon's Fate and And We Run are close seconds, but in the end I have to say my favourite Within Temptation song is the eerie Memories.

Number Six - Anette Olzon (Nightwish)

Anette Olzon was the second vocalist to join (and then be kicked out of) Nightwish. Her vocals tend to be less operatic than her predecessor but are just as good, if not slightly more powerful. I'm not very familiar with her solo work, but I'm listening to more of it now and the quality she brought to Nightwish is continuing in her work outside the band.

Favourite Song: Whilst I can't fault her solo work, her performance on the emotional Nightwish song, Eva is and always will be the pinnacle of her work in my eyes.

Number Seven - Loreena McKennitt

Very few artists can tell a story like this lady can. Loreena has a beautiful, clear and powerful voice that she uses to paint stories in your mind with her celtic, folk music. There's a quality in her voice that commands your silence and attention.

Favourite Song: My favourite of her songs is by far The Old Ways. The story in the song is combined perfectly with Loreena's amazing vocals.

Number Eight - Meg Mac

Meg Mac is a little known Australian artist who performs music that seems to combine old school jazz and blues sounds with some more modern elements. This woman consistently produces amazing music, the strongest point of her tracks of course being her phenomenal voice.

Favourite Song: My favourite Meg Mac song is Known Better, although I can't really tell you why since all of her songs are great.

Number Nine - Miriam Stockley

New Age will never be my favourite style of music, and I really don't listen to it much. I have to say though, I do like it if only because it is the main genre of Miriam Stockley. Her generally soft, clear and always beautiful vocals draw me right into the song and it almost comes as a shock when the track finishes.

Favourite Song: Perfect Day by far. This is such a beautiful song and as a side note was the song used as the opening theme for The Tales of Beatrix Potter which I loved when I was little - I always loved the song too.

Number Ten - Hayley Williams (Paramore)

Hayley Williams is a very versatile artist with a great range and a matching voice. I love her singing pop, I love her singing rock. I really can't understand why anyone was disappointed by the genre shift from the band on their self-titled album since the quality of the songs didn't change (although I admit I do slightly prefer their rockier stuff).

Favourite Song: Brick by Boring Brick wins this one... I don't why though. Maybe it just sticks in my head better?

Anyway, those are my favourites. Feel free to share your thoughts on them as well as any favourites of your own. A follow-up focusing on my favourite male artists will be posted in the near future.
    -Gimmepie

[/css-div]​

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • You know it's weird.. I tend to gravitate more towards male artists too. To be honest, I actually rarely listen to females. I guess I just find men's voices more soothing? I've recently been listening to Halestorm though! But the lead vocalist is MUCH better live than on her albums.. shame that's the case- but I was blown away when I heard them in person for the first time.

Years
  • Kura;bt101783 said:
    You know it's weird.. I tend to gravitate more towards male artists too. To be honest, I actually rarely listen to females. I guess I just find men's voices more soothing? I've recently been listening to Halestorm though! But the lead vocalist is MUCH better live than on her albums.. shame that's the case- but I was blown away when I heard them in person for the first time.

I don't know about soothing but male vocalists just tend to be less... cookie-cutter to be honest.

I've never seen Halestorm live, and honestly I probably never will since I don't see live music much, but I did watch a recording of them doing a live cover of Empire State of Mind and holy crap the things she did to that song.

Years
  • I just love how you're giving attention to Meg Mac. She had an amazing 2014, that girl. Winning the triple j Unearthed Artist of the Year award and going on to have 3 songs in the latest triple j Hottest 100 shows that Australians are loving her right now, and I do admit her voice is so beautiful and she'll have a big future ahead after all that success she had.

Years
  • Hikamaru;bt101793 said:
    I just love how you're giving attention to Meg Mac. She had an amazing 2014, that girl. Winning the triple j Unearthed Artist of the Year award and going on to have 3 songs in the latest triple j Hottest 100 shows that Australians are loving her right now, and I do admit her voice is so beautiful and she'll have a big future ahead after all that success she had.

Someone else who knows who I'm talking about! Wooooo

She's a fantastic artist and I really can't wait to see what she does in the future.
    For memory Roll Up Your Sleeves managed to place in the Independent Music Charts too, and yet nobody I talk to seems to have a clue who she is xD

Years
  • gimmepie;bt101799 said:
    Someone else who knows who I'm talking about! Wooooo

She's a fantastic artist and I really can't wait to see what she does in the future.
    For memory Roll Up Your Sleeves managed to place in the Independent Music Charts too, and yet nobody I talk to seems to have a clue who she is xD

It's absolutely true. And I know how much great music gets overlooked because so many pay attention to the mainstream pop market and as you know, I prefer quality over popularity.

Still, 2014 was an interesting year in music for me. There were some songs I just wanted to cringe at but there were others that left huge emotional impact on me.

Years
  • Hikamaru;bt101802 said:
    It's absolutely true. And I know how much great music gets overlooked because so many pay attention to the mainstream pop market and as you know, I prefer quality over popularity.

Still, 2014 was an interesting year in music for me. There were some songs I just wanted to cringe at but there were others that left huge emotional impact on me.

I find most years are like that, it just depends on where you look.

Back